Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Strato-9, MMG or No MMG?
lodestar
post Jun 17 2004, 04:18 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,720

One notes here that most assume that a Strato-9 drone comes with a MMG as standard equip - yet the availability of any MMGs preclude it becoming starting equipment for PCs. The description says that LS "outfits" their Stratos with the MMG thus it would seem it wouldn't be standard equip. Whats the ruling on this? Having a MMG as standard gear makes the Strato a little too tough for its cost and availability.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jun 17 2004, 04:32 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

R3 is pretty specific.

QUOTE (Rigger 3)
... External Fixed Hardpoint w/MMG (w/Gas Vent 3 Recoil Comp. and 500 rds. ammo), ...

Not much interpretation going on there to say that it comes with one. That said, you're within your rights as a GM to raise the availability in your game.

If you want to use one, I say go for it. Not like you're going to have a whole lot of luck hitting anything if you don't pile on more recoil compensation. Depending on how you read the rules on the halving of recoil, it can be impossible to fully compensate a heavy weapon.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jun 17 2004, 04:33 PM
Post #3

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

There's a quote in the R3 that states than no drones come with weapons. The weapons listed are examples of a standard loadout. I'm sure that someone can provide a reference, as I am at work.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Jun 17 2004, 06:33 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

QUOTE (BitBasher)
There's a quote in the R3 that states than no drones come with weapons. The weapons listed are examples of a standard loadout. I'm sure that someone can provide a reference, as I am at work.

I'd be very interested to see that page reference, because, in all the times this topic has come up before and you've made that claim, I have not yet seen you or anyone else actually produce a cite for this alleged rule. I've searched through SR3, Rigger 3, and the errata for both (though I don't own R3 Revised) more than once myself, and have not been able to locate any such thing.

All the vehicles listed in SR3 that have weapons mounts standard say "weapon(s) not included", but none of those actually have any weapons listed. The Rigger 3 vehicle stats lack any such disclaimers, and, while most of them also do not have any weapons listed, there are a few that do. There are also a few that have standard loadouts described in the fluff text, but do not list any weapons in their stats. There is not, anywhere that I can find, any vehicle that lists a weapon in its stats and then says that said weapon is not included.

Until someone actually cites a rule stating otherwise, my take on it is: If it's listed in the stats, the vehicle comes with it. If it's not listed in the stats, the vehicle doesn't come with it. Anything mentioned in the fluff text is just fluff unless it's also listed in the stats.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jun 17 2004, 07:49 PM
Post #5

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Well hey, I could be wrong too. All I remember is that the quote was in a really odd place in the R3... Either way im at work for the next few hours.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 19 2004, 11:27 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

IIRC, it says drones are weaponless unless otherwise stated, IE the turrets donīt have anything in them. A listed MMG, on the other hand, is entirely explicit. Strato-9s come with MMGs. Itīs fine if they donīt in your games, but remember that thatīs a house rule.

~J

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jun 20 2004, 12:19 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

The Strato-9 is not that big a deal. It's a nice drone, but I would rather have something like the Steel Lynx, with 9 points of armor. :love:

So it has a Medium Machine Gun. So what? A big whopping 2 Power difference from a Light Machine Gun? The basic vehicle rigger archetype from the BBB has an autocannon and AV missiles!

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Jun 20 2004, 08:41 AM
Post #8

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

Strato-9's have a low availability code on the street because they are always getting shot down over the barrens, and the locals can't figure out how to use the MMG without carrying around the drone too.

The basic Vehicle Rigger archetype in the book violates the character creation rules on availability limits. Otherwise he's OK, even though he underspent his resource by about 60,000 since printing 12 of SR3 (when SR3 changed to Rigger 3 vehicle prices).

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jun 21 2004, 05:09 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

The vehicle rigger doesn't quite violate the availability limits, since the GM determines the availability rating of vehicle-grade weapons. I wouldn't have a problem with a rigger having a Strato-9 drone (although, as a LS drone, using it would probably attract LS attention, much like using a Ruger Thunderbolt would).

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 21 2004, 07:36 AM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Glyph)
The Strato-9 is not that big a deal. It's a nice drone, but I would rather have something like the Steel Lynx, with 9 points of armor. :love:

And tied to the ground. Gimme a Strato anyday.

How much Sensor does that Lynx have, anyway?

~J

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Jun 21 2004, 04:06 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

I just assume that Rigger 3 is useful for providing a template for designing vehicles, customizations, etc. But it needs to be taken with a large boulder of salt.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:05 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.