IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Some help with various Matrix thingies ..., Stuff that just makes me go HUH?
Nephyte
post Jun 18 2004, 08:42 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 460

There's some things about the Matrix that I discovered tonight that make me just go HUH? Then there's some questions for things I don't understand.

A) Security Deckers. Looking at the Lone Star security Sheaf in Target: Matrix I believe you encounter 4!! Security Deckers before a system kicks to Active Alert and brings a 5th Sec. Decker.

Now, I have to assume that being a corporation that most of the security deckers protecting their systems would be located near each other. Wouldn't it be a bit obvious when Bobby gets smacked around in the Matrix and starts suffering dumpshock? Wouldn't you just kick the system to Active Alert right then, and flood it with Security Deckers to stop the invader in his tracks?

Shouldn't this concept apply to all times when a Security Decker shows up and gets beat? Or at least most situations?

B) Isn't Validate kinda a cheesy damned program? As far as I can tell, Log On to Host and then Validate an account. At least personal level, and most likely security. If you're really good, just Log On then Validate yourself a Super-User account.

I mean, with a Fairlight Excalibur and a couple level 10ish Progies, this is almost a garaunteed success whenever you try it against everything except the most Elite of Elite systems, and even those are still vulnerable (far more so then is comforting) to a Elite Decker for this type of intrusion. SuperUser access and Log out, Log back in on SuperUser and everything is at your disposal.

Yeah, I realize it's not like every player out there has a Fairlight Excalibur, and level 10 programs dancing about, but lets face it, that's every deckers goal.

C) Am I missing something or is there no difference between the various security color ratings other then Security Tally Acceleration? Oh, and the chance of paydata...

It seems wrong somehow, that a Green - 10/13/14/12//12/13 system is actually harder to hack then a Red - 8/12/11/11/13/12 system. You're just gonna have security on you faster is you get a tally in the red system, but the Green system is actually harder to break overall...

D) Semi-Related to Topic. Assuming I have 6 Computer skill, 9 Hacking Pool, and 1 Task Pool, how many dice can I roll maximum? Is it 12 or 13? (6 Computer + 6 Hacking/Task Pool or 6 Computer + 6 Hacking Pool + 1 Task Pool)

General Questions about the Matrix:

1) System Architecture. Can someone explain or give an example of a multi-tiered system and how it would be handled from a hacking point of view. What I mean here is say you need to log onto Host A (Acme Corp PLTG), and from there move to it's security Host (Host B), and then once there, you can visit the Administration or R&D nodes (Hosts C & D). Are systems set up like this ever and if so how is it handled? Do you just Log On to Host A, Log On to Host B, then Log On to Host D if you wanna hit the R&D Host?

Is there any steps in between?

2) Are you limited to a Novatech Hyperdeck - 6 at the start of the game or a Renraku Kraftwerk - 8? I know it's typically rating 6 for stuff to start, but I thought I read somewhere that Cyberdecks were the exception and the Renraku board was available at the start.

3) Is there a limit other then Active Memory on the size of a program I can run?

4) Assuming you have SuperUser (Root) Access to a system and a security decker comes along does the SuperUser Access give you any camoflauge? Obviously I imagine if I delved into the rules I'd find out there's a way for a SuperUser to invalidate the Security Deckers accout or something, but moving beyond that. Would the Security Decker recognize me as an intruder because my persona is so different from Corp standard, or am I reading to much into Icon recognition?

Further, I believe I read somewhere that your persona's sharpness is directly related to your MPCP. The Higher you MPCP the more distinct and the sharper an image your Icon is. Wouldn't this be an instant beacon for any law enforcement/security type to recognize a user whose *probably* accessing their system or a public system with an illegal deck?

5) Further on the above point, don't Sec. Deckers "patrol" their systems while on duty? I'd assume that any fairly decent sized corp would have a few of these people at least on duty at any given time. What are they doing while on duty? Reading the paper and drinking coffee waiting for a system alert? Or are they actively watching the systems while jacked into the matrix?

I think that's it for now. I'm making the excuse now, that I'm a matrix noob for the most part, and woefully out of practice when it comes to my rules-lawyering =/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pistons
post Jun 18 2004, 02:32 PM
Post #2

Not Cameron Diaz

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 188

QUOTE (Nephyte)
C) Am I missing something or is there no difference between the various security color ratings other then Security Tally Acceleration? Oh, and the chance of paydata...

It seems wrong somehow, that a Green - 10/13/14/12//12/13 system is actually harder to hack then a Red - 8/12/11/11/13/12 system. You're just gonna have security on you faster is you get a tally in the red system, but the Green system is actually harder to break overall...

D) Semi-Related to Topic. Assuming I have 6 Computer skill, 9 Hacking Pool, and 1 Task Pool, how many dice can I roll maximum? Is it 12 or 13? (6 Computer + 6 Hacking/Task Pool or 6 Computer + 6 Hacking Pool + 1 Task Pool)

2) Are you limited to a Novatech Hyperdeck - 6 at the start of the game or a Renraku Kraftwerk - 8? I know it's typically rating 6 for stuff to start, but I thought I read somewhere that Cyberdecks were the exception and the Renraku board was available at the start.

3) Is there a limit other then Active Memory on the size of a program I can run?

C. You are missing something: the power of the IC. IC uses the host's Security Value when in combat. There's also the fact that those levels (Green, Orange, Red) also determine the host's maximum system ratings, and how easy or hard it may be to trigger its IC. (Red systems can go to Passive Alert MUCH quicker than Green systems, for example.) That hypothetical Green system looks harder on the surface, but you have a better chance of surviving that run than on a Red host.

D. You can roll up to 13. Task pool is a separate pool from Hacking; they're not the same pool.

2. You're limited by what your GM tells you. :)

3. I don't believe there is, at least not according to the rules in SR3. So yes, you could theoretically run around with a deck that has one huge killer program on it, or lots of little rinky-dink programs -- so long as it doesn't exceed Active Memory.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jun 18 2004, 02:45 PM
Post #3

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

Assorted responses:

A) Systems are big and deckers are often doing a lot of stuff. If you get into combat with one and he gets away or uses a system command to call for help, then you're probably going to get more than one.

B) Superuser accounts are extreemly hard to validate for anyone except the truely well equipped. At a certain point, they're child's play on most systems, but that's just the way it works.

C) What Pistons said, plus the initiative of IC and the TNs for cybercombat are all based off of host color.

D) You can roll 12. You can't add more dice from all pools than your base skill. If you had two relevant pools with 30 dice in them, you can still only add your base skill rating in pool dice to any roll.

1) There's some topography in the main book for host connections. You can also check out matrix tricks in Matrix (such as chokepoints, vanishing SANs, etc).

2) The general limit is the CMT avatar. The issue is whether or not MPCP is a rating which falls under the rating 6 cap. The avatar has MPCP-7, and is avail 8 or less. The Kraftwerks is right out since it's got a higher avail.

3) Nope.

4) Your icon rating depends on your... icon rating. Check out Matrix. It's basicly a chip you slot into your deck. You can always change them between runs, etc.

5) Security deckers are actively patroling, but hosts can be huge. The reliability of a patrolling decker finding intruders is so low that it's not listed.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jun 18 2004, 02:57 PM
Post #4

Technomancer

Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (Nephyte)
A) Security Deckers. Looking at the Lone Star security Sheaf in Target: Matrix I believe you encounter 4!! Security Deckers before a system kicks to Active Alert and brings a 5th Sec. Decker.

Now, I have to assume that being a corporation that most of the security deckers protecting their systems would be located near each other. Wouldn't it be a bit obvious when Bobby gets smacked around in the Matrix and starts suffering dumpshock? Wouldn't you just kick the system to Active Alert right then, and flood it with Security Deckers to stop the invader in his tracks?

Shouldn't this concept apply to all times when a Security Decker shows up and gets beat? Or at least most situations?

It depends on the decker. If the security decker (hereafter s.d.) is a stand and fight type of NPC, then the s.d. might attack the intruder hoping to knock him or her off of the system and have a good story to tell the other s.d.'s at the bar later. However, if the s.d.'s are team players, then perhaps one alerts a second who sets the system to alert while the first attacks. Or maybe both attack. It's all up to the GM. If you feel that s.d.'s would be more inclined to set alert status and let the IC take care of the decker, that's a third option.

B) Isn't Validate kinda a cheesy damned program? As far as I can tell, Log On to Host and then Validate an account. At least personal level, and most likely security. If you're really good, just Log On then Validate yourself a Super-User account.

I mean, with a Fairlight Excalibur and a couple level 10ish Progies, this is almost a garaunteed success whenever you try it against everything except the most Elite of Elite systems, and even those are still vulnerable (far more so then is comforting) to a Elite Decker for this type of intrusion. SuperUser access and Log out, Log back in on SuperUser and everything is at your disposal.

Yeah, I realize it's not like every player out there has a Fairlight Excalibur, and level 10 programs dancing about, but lets face it, that's every deckers goal.

In a word: yes. The validate program can be your worst nightmare (or best friend of you're on the other side of the table). However, in the description of the system operations that each type of validated account has access to, there is an asterisk (*) following some of them. This means that the account may or may not have access to this system op. depending on the GM fiat. For example, a janitorial account, which wouldn't be a security account, might have access to door locks and the supply closets, but not the cameras or the pressure plate controls. A secretary's account would have access to internal communications, some camera access depending on the building, but maybe not door locks outside of the main lobby area. Force your players to define the type of account they validate in terms of the type of job function for the account then the GM can determine which system ops. they really do have access to. Plus, remember that even a legitimate icon can incurr a tally if they perform a system op. that they don't have the rights to do.

1) System Architecture. Can someone explain or give an example of a multi-tiered system and how it would be handled from a hacking point of view. What I mean here is say you need to log onto Host A (Acme Corp PLTG), and from there move to it's security Host (Host B), and then once there, you can visit the Administration or R&D nodes (Hosts C & D). Are systems set up like this ever and if so how is it handled? Do you just Log On to Host A, Log On to Host B, then Log On to Host D if you wanna hit the R&D Host?

Is there any steps in between?

You could make them search for a system access node or some other intermediate step. Plus, you could be even more devious: perhaps the R&D node has a chokepoint in front of it, or maybe it uses a trap door SAN so it's harder to get out of when the drek hits the fan. But, you basically have it correct above.

4) Assuming you have SuperUser (Root) Access to a system and a security decker comes along does the SuperUser Access give you any camoflauge? Obviously I imagine if I delved into the rules I'd find out there's a way for a SuperUser to invalidate the Security Deckers accout or something, but moving beyond that. Would the Security Decker recognize me as an intruder because my persona is so different  from Corp standard, or am I reading to much into Icon recognition?

I'd give the decker a sensor test to notice something weird. Then, if the decker things something is up, I'd try opposed etiquette (matrix) tests or negotiation (fast talk) for the player to try and get out of the situation.

Further, I believe I read somewhere that your persona's sharpness is directly related to your MPCP. The Higher you MPCP the more distinct and the sharper an image your Icon is. Wouldn't this be an instant beacon for any law enforcement/security type to recognize a user whose *probably* accessing their system or a public system with an illegal deck?

I think it's the icon rating, actually, that determins the "quality" of your icon. I don't htink so, however, because icons are like the look of people: everyone is different. Even the sec. deckers on a system may look different depending on the rules of the corp.

What really keeps you hidden from deckers, though, is your detection factor. I use this as the TN for any sensor tests of a legitimate sec. decker trying to find an intruder. They may be aware that an intruder exists, but they may not be aware of where the intruder is.

5) Further on the above point, don't Sec. Deckers "patrol" their systems while on duty? I'd assume that any fairly decent sized corp would have a few of these people at least on duty at any given time. What are they doing while on duty? Reading the paper and drinking coffee waiting for a system alert? Or are they actively watching the systems while jacked into the matrix?

Depends on the professionalism of the deckers. You could do it either way. If htey're jacked in, they might get a sensor test to notice the PCs if they stumble upon them in the course of their duty. Otherwise, if they're just waiting for an alert, they wouldn't have that chance.

+Quote Post
NetJacker
post Jun 18 2004, 07:14 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,412

WhatŽs the damage code for killjoy and black hammer utilities?
SR3 mentions only the dmg for the IC, can anybody explain how this works and the tests to be made?? :|

+Quote Post
Pistons
post Jun 18 2004, 08:20 PM
Post #6

Not Cameron Diaz

QUOTE (NetJacker)
WhatŽs the damage code for killjoy and black hammer utilities?
SR3 mentions only the dmg for the IC, can anybody explain how this works and the tests to be made?? :|

Well, the book says (p. 221): "Black hammer lacks the blaster-like capabilities of mainframe-drive black IC, but otherwise its effects are identifcal to those of lethal black IC (see Black IC, p.230)."

Going to the referenced page, that says, "The Damage Code for the IC depends on the Security Code of the Host: (IC Rating) Moderate for Blue and Green systems, (IC Rating) Serious for Orange and Red ones." It further goes into how to stage up the damage, what it affects, and so forth.

My guess, based on that, is that it depends on your MPCP rating. My reasoning goes like this: IC depends on its host's system and system ratings. What you have is a program utility, not IC, so it doesn't depend on whatever host you're on -- it depends on your deck, like every other utility you have. It mimics the effects of a certain type of IC, however, which is why it acts a bit differently compared to your normal Attack utility. (And thus why it's got a higher cost multiplier, as well.)

The only problem with that is trying to figure out how your deck is comparable to a host system in order to figure out what's Moderate, what's Serious and so on. For sake of ease, you COULD make it dependent upon whatever system you're on... except that's terribly easy to twink. As another possibility, you could make it dependent upon what level of Attack program you have -- if you have a Serious level Attack program, then that's the sort of damage your Black Hammer will deal to a decker. (Ditto with Killjoy, except on the Stun and not the Physical monitor.)

I agree -- that section's not terribly clear, and it would benefit from some clarification.

+Quote Post
Madda_Gaska
post Jun 18 2004, 08:31 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 4,238

Another way to look at it:
You are sending the black hammer 'message' to their icon through the host that you are mutually on. Therefore, it is the ability of the host to dish out obscene levels of simsense that judges that damage level.

Of course, there could easily be seen to be problems there, but it works after a fashion.

Two cents on the security decker question too:
I don't know about anyone else here, but if I was just wandering around the same host, keeping an eye out for deckers, I'd probably get bored stiff. Consider: it could well be a 9 to 5. One could not keep concentration for that long.
Therefore I'd think it would be more likely that there would be some online at any one time (as well as some off- soykaf, soygarretes, etc), and many of them (if not all) at any given moment would not be on the host, but would rather be on chat hosts (which include message boards), news hosts, game hosts, or whatever else their company might allow. This would basically mean that, in the event of a trigger that alerts a decker, they get paged and immediately (if they like their job) drop back onto the host and start checking up on what is going on.
Of course, on a grid they have that many more deckers, so there is likely to be one on, but they aren't likely to be too actively looking for people to persecute (unless they are in a bad mood and have handed their notice), just keeping an eye out for actual attempts to damage the grid.
That's just my thoughts on that though.

+Quote Post
Nephyte
post Jun 18 2004, 09:26 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

A) Regarding my statements about Security Deckers.

Assuming the Sec. Sheaf follows as such. (Lone Star Sec. Sheaf)

3 - Probe 10
7 - Equal Security Decker
12 - Trace 10
15 - Equal Security Decker
18 - Scout 10
22 - Passive Alert, Security Decker (1D6 1-5 Equal, 6 Superior)
27 - Contruct 8 (Sparky 8, Blaster 8)
30 - Security Decker (1D6 1-4 Equal, 5-6 Superior)
34 - Non-Lethal Black IC 10
39 - Active Alert, Security Decker (1D6 1-3 Equal, 4-5 Superior, 6 Superhuman)

Ok, so at some point you're probably going to be engaging a security decker in combat there, and we'll assume you somehow manage to do it without raising your security tally beyond 11. Now you whoop his arse because you are pretty good, and he suffers dumpshock from being dropped. Now, Lone Star is a Red - 8 System. So the Sec Decker is taking 8D stun damage from dump shock, which is more then likely going to knock him unconcious unless he's really lucky.

Now, I'm just saying, the security sheaf seems silly to me in that, if a Sec. Decker is getting knocked unconcious responding to a security tally you would immediately put the system on High Alert and Flood it with available resources. At least, that's what I would do anyways.

B) Super User accounts just seem like gravy to me :P I can see why they're in the game as it add's an aspect of what a Decker would want to do in a system. Just, they're a lil to easy to accomplish in my opinion. (Me and a friend were running various matrix runs last night so I could brush up on my Matrix skills, and he could see what playing a decker was like in 3E).

With a starting character (We've always allowed Renraku Kraftwerk-8's to be allowed at the start of the game. It's just something that happened a long time ago and has never been changed >,<) he managed to successfully give himself SuperUser access to Lone Star's system 3 of 5 tries without a problem, and the other two times he got there but with passive alerts activated, and I really didn't know what to do in such a situation yet.

The best part of a SuperUser account is the fact you can automatically create new SuperUser accounts! Now that's gravy.

C) That makes sense. Just ingrained into my brain that a Red System should be harder to hack just on pure rolling then a green system should ever be. That being said, I definitely understand a Red System is still harder, they've just changed the particular way of it being harder.

D) I'm going with the person who said 12 total dice =)

+Quote Post
Nephyte
post Jun 18 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

1) Does anyone have any examples of hosts they can provide. I'm still learning this whole thing, and while I've seen some decent examples, I'd like to see even more system designs.

New!6) On page 115 of Matrix there's a chart for creating Security Sheafs on the fly, and you are supposed to roll 1D6 for the Alert Table. This table allows for results higher then 6 and can go up to 10. However, I can find no modifiers for this table. Is this a case of rerolling 6's? Seems like if that's the case that it's far to easy to hit the 8+ options on the table.

New!7) If I were say uing a Novatech Hyperdeck - 6 and wanted to upgrade it's Active Memory, and Storage Memory where exactly would I look to find the costs? I've been using 7.5 and 6 :nuyen: respectively for these (pg. 67 Matrix) but I'm not sure if those are the correct values to use.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jun 19 2004, 03:09 AM
Post #10

Dragon

6) For random generation, you rarely if ever use exploding 6s. For that table, you add the number of trigger steps already passed to a straight 1d6 roll. So the first trigger step is a 1d6, the second is 1d6+1, and the fifth is 1d6+5. This applies to steps on the same alert level. So when you flip into a different alert mode, you reset the count. (See Generating Security Sheaves on p112)

7) You're looking for Matrix p 56 and p 60. The costs for parts are 1.5 per MP and an OMC at 2x the size for active memory and .5 per MP and an OMC at the size of the storage memory. OMCs have been errataed to .5 :nuyen: per MP, so that gives costs of:

Active: 2.5 :nuyen: per MP
Storage: 1 :nuyen: per MP

+Quote Post
Nephyte
post Jun 19 2004, 06:18 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

@TinkerGnome

Aren't those the costs for self cooking new Active and Storage Memory? Taking the parts from scratch and doing all the coding/cooking neccassary yourself to make them Active and Storage Memory?

I'm talking about taking pre-made Memory and slotting it into your machine to upgrade it.

Or do I have to cook entirely new chips if I want an upgraded memory? (Or buy entirely new chips)

+Quote Post
Pistons
post Jun 19 2004, 02:22 PM
Post #12

Not Cameron Diaz

QUOTE (Nephyte)
Or do I have to cook entirely new chips if I want an upgraded memory? (Or buy entirely new chips)

IIRC, it's like computers these days: you need new chips.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jun 19 2004, 03:30 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Active and storage memory have neither coding or cooking attached. You just buy an OMC and some of the parts to connect it and then wire it in. It's a computer B/R (4) test if I remember correctly.. not much point in paying someone to do it.

+Quote Post
NetJacker
post Jun 20 2004, 05:33 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 6,412

[/QUOTE]

Now Pistons here helped me but i guess once more the rules gives us freedom to do what we want, since the area of my question is certainly uncovered.

I guess iŽll use a house rule for the black hammer and killjoy utilities where you have to buy each utility by its damage code (just like the attack utility). IŽll have to change the multipliers and costs and everything but whatever.

or i could make it always do M damage or something.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jun 21 2004, 03:50 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

incidentally, task pool is not seperate from hacking pool when you're decking. task pool is added directly to hacking pool--i'd give a page reference if i had my books; it's in Matrix, i believe, in the section on hacking pool towards the front (first 30 pages or so). ergo, with 6 skill, 6+ hp, and 1+ task pool, you can roll a max of 12 dice.

+Quote Post
tjn
post Jun 21 2004, 10:36 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

From: Fresno, CFS: taking out one durned furriner at a time.
Member No.: 5,940

QUOTE (Nephyte)

Others have already gone over most of the rest... but I wanted to take a crack at your interpretation of Validate.

First off, even if it's a Decker's dream to get a Fairlight and a bevy of Rating 10 programs, it isn't likely to happen enless playing on a stage where making Z-O runs are spotlighted. It's like Sammies loaded with Deltaware to the gills and custom guns or 10+ Grade Initates with a full load out of force 9 spells. They should have an almost garunteed success against average challenges.

Secondly, LS's Control Rating is kinda low. Usually it's the highest rating amongst a system's ACIFS, but for Lone Star, it's uncharacteristically the lowest (Plus I don't personally see LS's matrix presence being that easy, but it is what we have). Even still, the decker should not have gotten a Super User account 3 out of every 5 times he tried.

A starting decker, would most likely have 14 dice to throw at a TN of 13 (Average Subsystem rating of an Average System +6 for trying Super User account - 6 for the program rating), and about 32.59% of the time the character might get a single success, and as the chance of getting two successes is under 1% I'll not deal with it (so my head doesn't explode from the math :P )

If the decker gets the success, the System Test will need two successes to stymie the Validate operation. Had it only needed to match the single success, the Validate Super User operation would have about a 14% success rate.

Average systems would have a Security Value (SV) of 7, 8 or 9 to throw against the deckers DF (which should be 9). Going with 7, it has a 4.95% chance of 2 successes, going with 8 is a 5.63% chance of 2 successes and a 6.24% chance with a SV of 9.

Leaving roughly an 30.98% chance for a starting decker to create a Super User account on an Average host with a SV of 7, 30.76% with a SV of 8 and a 30.56% at a SV of 9.

About half the 60% you experienced. Perhaps your friend got lucky. Whether Validate is too powerful is a judgement call, but it's not the uber get-out-of-jail-free card you present it as. Personally I don't think it's too overpowered; a 30% chance of succeeding is rather low to begin with... but it's real once gotten, sure.

Just make sure in the rush to create a Super User, you don't just make a Super User account in a Virtual Machine. A good decker needs to explore the system he's in first, this should rack up points on the security sheef just by itself, and heaven forbid the decker has to do more then a few operations...

Relevant bits to a starting Decker trying to Validate under the spoiler.

[ Spoiler ]

And as an aside about Hacking Pools and Task pools. Pg 26 in Matrix, under dice pools, it states that Hacking Pool is the only pool one can use when using the matrix. So no task pools. mfb, the only reference to task pools as Hacking Pools is the Encephlon and the Expert Chip Drivers.

It goes so far as to include the Cerebral Booster as indirectly affecting the Hacking pool through the intelligence boost, but conspicuously does not talk about it's task pool after talking about the others.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 21 2004, 10:43 AM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

At some point I'm going to have to sit down and hack out some houserules for Validation. To me, it seems like it should be a multi-part process that's decently, but not horribly, involved; there should be a legitimate weighing of the advantages to getting an account as opposed to doing things the old-fashioned way, rather than the current "almost never worth it not to" system.

~J

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jun 21 2004, 01:30 PM
Post #18

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

one thing one must remeber about the LS host is that its most likely only the local office host, its not the glacier host that contains the links to fbi and other law enforcements agencys and the archive of known criminals, that suckers i most likely hidden behind some layers of chokepoints, and physicaly put into a locked bombshelter in their head office...

what you get access to hitting the LS host given er shift times and so on, maybe the desksargents collection of metahuman porn in his personal folder or something. getting superuser on this system isnt realy of any value.

getting a superuser account is only of value if your goingto take total control of the host. most of the time your only after some files or slaves, and then you most likely want a personal account inside the group that have access to those files. no need to go after the big guns if you dont have to, thats whats keep a good decker of the radar of the corps and the law.

lets say your after some research papers, if the host is online (bad idea!) you go in, grab a user account for the files you want and then grab the files without getting a opposed test :)

if your after some camera slaves then most likely they are under a normal user account but with a passkey requirement (the guard have to physicaly key in to get access to the feeds). why give a security account to a person that dont have anything to do with the internal security of the host? most likley any new user account that is created to have access to the camera feeds automaticly gets a requirement for a passkey, and the only way to change that is to go security or most likey superuser (you have to edit the security defaults of the host). but if you can steal or copy a key then you good to go :)

sure a newbie decker will go for superuser acces (just like most script kiddies shout about how many systmes they have rooted) but a person that have been around the biz for some time knows the value of discression. if they see a faked user account then maybe they will pass it of as a screwup by someone setting up a account for a new worker while a new superuser will raise nine kinds of hell if found as then the entire system is compromised and most likely a lengthy rebuild/audit will be done to see what the account have been used for and to make sure that any holes are sealed.

basicly its the same as not bringing a panther cannon to a downtown johnson meeting. right tools for the job...

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 21 2004, 01:46 PM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

The +8 or so to the TN for trying for SU handles the "right tool for the right job" aspect just fine. People won't grab them if they don't need them, because they probably won't get them anyway.

~J

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:17 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.