IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

77 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Living in the Shadows: IC, your run might be over...
Shev
post Sep 4 2004, 08:43 AM
Post #151

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,949

2130 Jan 4 2063, Key to the Future

With a sigh, Avalanche put down the cyberdeck. "Fraggin' finally," he grumbled. It had taken a lot longer than he had anticipated to mod the deck, but he had finally done it without any screwups that he could see.

He called the LTG number left by the customer, and got an answering machine. "This is Mr. Key. I've...repaired your deck. Please come by sometime tommorow during business hours to pick it up. Thanks."

Hanging up, Avalanche glanced at his wristphone watch. Looks like I got an hour before the meet with Mr. Fan. I'll just set the alarm on the telecom and have myself a quick nap...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
banditf50
post Sep 4 2004, 07:13 PM
Post #152

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,525

1520 January 5 2063 - Open Arms Shelter

Virgil stepped out of the car and approached the front door of the shelter with Dragon following closely behind. If this part of the barrens was a war zone, then the Open Arms Shelter was a refugee camp. The shelter inhabited a building that was once a middle-class apartment complex, of course, that was back when Redmond was still a successful suburb. The building was four stories tall with the top three floors used for sleeping space, and the bottom floor housing a kitchen, rudimentary clinic, and a dining hall that also housed mass on Sundays.

As he climbed the short steps to the front door Virgil, without even thinking about it, reached inside of his shirt and positioned his rosary so that it hung in plain view. The dilapidated foyer inside the shelter contained a reception desk so that a volunteer at least try and keep track of all the SIN-less people who came to the shelter seeking aid. The desk was currently being staffed by a middle-aged orc women. Approaching the desk Virgil made sure to hold his hands away from his body to show that he was not armed . . .

"Can I help you?" she spoke in a gruff voice.

"Yes mam, I am a friend of Father O'Grady and an aquaintence of Sister Perkins, I came here hoping to speak to her," Virgil responded in a soft tone.

The stern look on the women's face seemed to soften upon hearing the name of the familiar priest. "She's in the infirmary right now tending to patients, why don't you go back and give her a hand."

Nodding his thanks to the women Virgil and Dragon walked down a small hallway and down to the infirmary. Virgil imagined that it had been built by knocking down the interior walls a first floor apartment. The shelter's infirmary housed a dozen beds donated from hospital surplus and was run with volunteers as well as two other younger nuns. Through donations and money from Saint margaret Mary's outreach program they were able to afford some supplies and medications, but it could never be enough to see to all the sick that the barrens produced.

Sister Perkins stood at one of the beds applying surgical glue to the leg of a young boy sporting a nasty gash. As she was finishing Virgil approached the foot of the bed and waited for her to look up . . .

"Why hello Virgil. I have not seen you since Christmas, what brings you to my presence today."

"Greetings Holy Sister, my friend and I," Virgil gestured to Dragon have come to offer you our aid in a matter of grave importance. Word of the signs that the child Julia shows is beginning to spread. I fear that parties of malevolent intentions will come looking for her. I came to you with hopes that I could speak with her and try to ascertain what phenomena has befallen her." Virgil tried to make sure that the severity of the situation was expressed in his voice.

"Sister, if the child does posses some new magical gift, she will be hunted to no end. I am also here to offer my services in protecting her from those that would exploit her. Please Sister, judge my intenions to be pure, and allow me to see Julia . . .

+Quote Post
SentineloftheMou...
post Sep 9 2004, 03:20 PM
Post #153

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,556

0800 January 7, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Andie continues working at his desk; scribbling formulas and equations down onto paper, looking in reference manuals, and checking the circulation batch every 15 minutes.

This just might work....

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Sep 10 2004, 02:33 PM
Post #154

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,546

2330 January 4 2063 - A side street, almost an alley, somewhere in Auburn

The young dwarf starts jogging more quickly, uneasily aware of the rumours floating around and the amount of money she is carrying. Just one more stop, a small gaming operation which had only recently opened up, and then she gets to relieve herself of the bag and gets paid. As so often, the irony crosses her mind: she carries tens of thousands of nuyen, but will earn barely five hundred herself. Yet it never seriously occurs to her to just take off with the funds and lose herself somewhere. Oh, of course she sometimes plays with the idea: how she would go about it, what she could do with all that money.

But it is only playing. She knows they would find her. No matter how fast and how far she runs, they would find her.

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Sep 12 2004, 12:50 AM
Post #155

Shooting Target

2340 January 4 2063 - Running quickly out of the side street and straight into ... traffic?

For a moment she stood frozen, staring into the headlights -- and then it was too late.

It screeched to a halt. She could feel its bumper brushing lightly against her outstretched hands. She stared at it and stared at it, unable to do anything else.

The car wasn't supposed to be there, not now, not hours after she'd picked up that percentage and the tables had been pulled inside and shuttered and locked for the night. Traffic wasn't supposed to be there. Later in the spring it would be very different, students and young working couples drifting by in twos and threes until well past midnight; but this time of night, this time of year, only the most hardcore hadn't yet found themselves an indoor place, and this one, topside, had long closed.

After an eternity the door opened and she thought maybe someone big had stepped out and she was staring at something hollow and wide and cold that drowned out all the rest.

"Let her be," said a smooth, cultured voice from inside the car. "She is not harmed, is she? Here, my girl," and something cold and plastic-metallic landed at her feet, "Try to be more careful next time. You might run into something that won't stop."

The cylinder moved away from her eyes and she could see again, big and gray trenchcoat and cold mirrored shades, folding himself almost double to slide behind the wheel of the car.

When she could move again, she stooped to pick up the coins that had fallen against the corrigated steel of the shuttered storefront.

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Sep 12 2004, 05:17 PM
Post #156

Shooting Target

1525 January 5 2063 - Open Arms Shelter

"Truly, He works in mysterious ways, bringing you here that Christmas," said Sister Perkins quietly, considering her unexpected visitors. "We had been hoping ... but it's clear now. Martha," she said to one of the other nuns, "take over here, please?"

As she led them to the back of the infirmary and to another set of stairs, their steps creaking on the floorboards, she added, "But I am afraid you cannot speak with Julia now, for she is no longer here. No --" she preempted Virgil's involuntary exclamation -- "nothing has happened to her. But after the events of two nights ago, we thought it best to move her."

"Ah," said Dragon. "That's why there isn't a whole tent city outside."

Sister Perkins nodded. "The word's been getting around slowly, much more slowly than the word originally got out after that story, I'm afraid -- but there's still a few faithful camped outside, waiting. I'm afraid I -- that is -- I haven't been really forceful about getting them to leave."

"They seek hope," said Virgil suddenly.

She spread her hands. "What right have I to take from them what little they can find, here? But you will want to be talking to Father Bremen, and hear the whole story from him and the sisters who were there at the time."

She raised her hand to knock at the diamonded yellowed window of the beaten plastic door, and the hulking shadow vaguely visible through it paused; and then bent and vanished from the narrow square of transluscency.

"He'll see you now," Sister Perkins said, and opened the door for them.

It swung inward into a small, dingy, windowless office lit only by a pair of overhead flourescent tubes. Even if they did leach the colour from the place, their flickering was minimal ... but their buzzing was not. The office was almost entirely filled by a pair of tables serving as an extended L-shaped desk, their surfaces overflowing with ledgers and loose papers and a computer terminal, and by the troll who was standing to meet them, slightly hunched to keep from banging his head on the lights.

"I am Father Bremen," he said, holding out a very large and calloused hand. "May I help you?"

+Quote Post
banditf50
post Sep 12 2004, 06:36 PM
Post #157

Moving Target

1530 January 5 - Open Arms Shelter

"Greetings Father," chimed Virgil as his hand was engulfed inside of Father Bremen's powerful handshake. Just behind Father Bremen's eyes Virgil could see a quite wisdom and a strength of will that the people whom Father Bremen ministers to must depend on.

"My name is Virgil. I am a friend of Father O'Grady and a servant of the people of these streets. Virgil paused and gestured towards Dragon, "This is Dragon, he is a friend of mine and my duty is his own."

The small size of the office was excaberated by the presence of three men. Standing in such close proximity only made Virgil feel even smaller as he stood in the presence of the large priest.

With nary a pause Virgil spoke up again. "I come before you now because the child Julia may be in danger, I fear that the same gifts that have brought the pious to your door step have also attracted the attention of those who would seek Julia with malevolent intentions. I would like to offer my aid in protecting the child. I would also like the chance to examine Julia so that the nature of this strange occurence can be elucidated, thus providing knowledge on how best to help her."

Virgil paused a moment to allow his words to absorb, not once did he break eye contact with Father Bremen. In an unwavering yet humble tone, Virgil continued.

"Sister Perkins tells me that you are the most knowledgeable person of the situation thus far. I humbly request to share in your observations and thoughts and if you judge my intentions to be true, I request to see Julia."

Bowing his head slightly Virgil finished, "I come before you representing only the interests of Julia and my solemn duties."

Father Bremen stepped over the wall behind the make-shift desk, where a metal crucifix ran the height of the wall. Bowing his head in thought for a few moments, Father Bremen began a silent prayer. The moments seemed to stretch into hours for Virgil, but he did not move or let his resolve waver.

Turning back towards Virgil and Dragon Father Bremen fixed his firm gaze onto Virgil's unwavering stare. In a low rumbling voice he began to speak,

"It is true that you come here in a time where darkness may be gathering in the ever-present shadows . . .

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Sep 12 2004, 10:48 PM
Post #158

Shooting Target

1533 January 5 - Open Arms Shelter

"Indeed," Father Bremen continued, "scarcely a night passes when there is not some person who has attempted to break into this place, for we are a place of healing, and many understand from this as well that there must be street-marketable drugs on the premises. And they would be right. Misguided," and as his eyes crinkled Dragon found himself almost instinctively evaluating those muscular arms, "but factually right nevertheless. Facts ..."

His voice trailed off. There was a powerful odour of sweat to the priest. In this enclosed room tight against what must be the attic, the lack of ventilation was quickly becoming apparent.

Just as Virgil thought that the priest had said his piece, that he would have to say more in order to convince him -- ; when he suddenly started speaking again: "Has it occurred to either of you that she might not need the kind of help you truly seek to give? No, I see that it has not." He paused again. Virgil made to speak again, something respectful and realistic. Something in the priest's eyes stopped him.

"It might even be not so much a question of whether I am to let you examine Julia," mused Father Bremen in a low-toned rumble, "as to whether Julia herself will allow it. The Church has learned many things, these past few decades; and we at the edges of civilisation stand at the edges of the learning curve. 'There are more creatures in heaven and earth ...' But you did not come for a lecture on theology." He seemed almost to shake himself then, although he did not move a muscle and the high collar still looked far too tight for the wide neck. "I will have to take you to her first, of course. No one else here knows where she is. I hope."

The two smaller men had to back away through the door to let him reach it, the tiny office was so completely filled by the three of them. The floor creaked alarmingly as he moved. At their reactions to the sound Father Bremen gave a quick smile: "Oh, don't worry, I haven't fallen through the floor in nearly a month" -- slight pause, seeing the expressions on their faces -- "joke!

"Oh by the way: did either of you bring a car?"

+Quote Post
banditf50
post Sep 12 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #159

Moving Target

1535 January 5 2063 - Open Arms Shelter

Virgil found himself handing on the last of Father Bremen's words, even as he felt a small feeling of elation at hearing his approval. As Virgil followed Father Bremen through the door, thankful to be out of the cramped and increasingly hot office, he glanced at Dragon,

"We're parked out in front of the shelter Father. Your car has room for three, doesn't it Dragon . . ."

+Quote Post
banditf50
post Sep 13 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #160

Moving Target

1536 January 5 2063 - Open Arms Shelter

"I think we'll fit just fine, although Father Bremen takes your place at shotgun Virgil, I think he's gonna need a bit more leg room than you, " Dragon joked as he follwed the two men out through the shelter's main doors.

"Well, I am the first one outside anway," joked Father Bremen, "So I'll just call shotgun anway." He let out a deep chuckle.

As Virgil slid himself into the back seat of the Ford Americar he couldn't help but notice the sharp contrast between the laughter they'd just shared, and the desolate feeling of hopelessness that seemed to throw itself in waves up against the front door to the Open Arms Shelter.

It's like the shelter is a fortress under seige by a relentess enemy.

Virgil was snapped out of his brief reverie by the sagging of the Americar as it protested against the sudden addition of a form as heavy as Father Bremen.

Dragon was the last one to get into the car as he paused and looked around, almost as if he were already worried about being followed. Turning the key Dragon fired up the engine into a smooth idle and then turned to Father Bremen

"Where to Father ." . . .

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post Sep 13 2004, 02:58 AM
Post #161

Dragon

Member No.: 6,260

1536 January 5 2063 - Open Arms Shelter

The big priest gae him an address, and Dragon smoothly drove the car out, cruising towards the location of the woman Virgil insisted on trying to help.

Not to be mercenary or anything...although I am...but there better be some nuyen in it for us. I can't afford to be working freebes here. That last job was a disaster, and I got some serious payments to be made, both to support the family, work on building up a workable network, and to search for...her...I wonder what happened?

Argh! I haven't even had the chance to start looking...worthless unprofessional bastards. Of all the crews to work with, I had to get stuck with that lot. And to think that one trog fragger gave me drek about joining? He shoould be so lucky. I was the only one who didn't make a complete ass out of himself on that job, other than Apoc. Wonder what happened to him?

Oh well, hopefully there'll be some nuyen in this. And even if there isn't, Virgil will owe me for this one. Never hurts to have a combat mage in your debt. Course, considering where we been, after that Aztlan run, I'd say he owes me plenty already.

With a thin smile, Dragon refocus on driving and listening, setting aside other worries to focus on the task at hand.

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Sep 13 2004, 12:11 PM
Post #162

Shooting Target

1540 January 5 2063 - leaving the Open Arms Shelter

"Look around," said Father Bremen as they drove, punctuating with a hand gesture far too expansive for the small vehicle, which swayed distinctly with his movement. Dragon compensated almost automatically before the sway could drift them into another lane, trying not to think of the stress this vehicle was incurring. Then again, they really should build them better to begin with. Trogs are a fact of life in the 60's. I wonder how I will pay for this? I just seem to be digging myself deeper and deeper, but it's not my fault! What was I going to do, tell the two of them to go take a hike? At this point Virgil's almost the closest thing I have to a reliable contact in town, but the nuyen had better be forthcoming soon ...

It had been far too easy for Dragon to let his thoughts spin into the familiar cycle against the talking of the priest. With an effort he forced himself to re-focus ... and the address he had been given finally connected. "Auburn?"

"We'll need to warn them that we're coming," said Father Bremen reasonably.

"Couldn't you have just called them?" Virgil said, at the same moment as Dragon said: "You mean she's not where we're going."

The troll shrugged, almost sending the little car into the other lane again. "Kiki said that there'd likely been tracers planted in and around the clinic, and that it'd be child's play for a decker to intercept any calls. I don't know, maybe I'm way off base, but I didn't want to lead anyone straight to Julia, not after that night ..."

Virgil leaned forward with his hands on the headrest in front of him, ignoring the growing pins-and-needles feeling in his legs. "What happened, Father?"

"You understand, there's many people around here who are desperate, who'd do almost anything to get their next fix. And we had the people who were camped out in front of the shelter already, you know how cold it was, last week, all the beds were already full ..." He sighed. "There was some pushing and shoving. It didn't really look like anything unusual. It got into a bit of a fight. I wish I could say that's unusual, but it isn't, not really, I went out to try to talk to them ..."

"Julia?" prompted Virgil gently.

"I heard her screaming. I didn't realise there was anything more to it until that. Kiki said maybe the whole "faith thing" had been set up to overload us, or to get the people who need us angry against us so we'd be forced to leave, I didn't really get which. Maybe there's something in that too." He shook his head. "They won't win, you know. We're needed here, and we're staying."

"Julia?" repeated Virgil.

"Yes, Julia. So she was screaming and by the time I got back up the stairs the two of them had gotten a pillowcase tied over her head and were trying to haul her out. She was still struggling. I -- ah -- decked him." The big troll hung his head. "The other one dropped her, hard, and when she went limp like that I just tore the the pillowcase off her to make sure she was all right. She was dazed, and she had a bit of a lump on her head, but she was fine. She wasn't even upset, or crying. He--ck, I'd be upset. I'd be hysterical. But she wasn't crying at all, she was angry and very, very scared. Oh," he smacked his palm on the glove compartment, leaving a dent, "the two sisters were fine after they woke up. I forgot to say, it was their watch. I found them asleep in their chairs."

"Drugged," murmured Dragon. And then, more normally: "Did you see their faces?"

"Not so as I would recognise them. It was dark, and I was making sure Julia was all right, and next thing I knew they were gone."

"So you got her out of there," said Virgil.

"I knew I had to. She wasn't safe with us. Dear God, I hate saying that!" A second dent joined the first. "I bundled together all her clothing and called in the Jedi, but he doesn't like leaving his own area unguarded. Still, he agreed to take her and guard her until we could find out what was what. And we set up a way of reaching them that had nothing to do with the clinic."

+Quote Post
banditf50
post Sep 13 2004, 09:39 PM
Post #163

Moving Target

1550 January 5 2063 - Driving in Auburn

Processing Father Bremen's story of Julia's kidnapping attempt threatened to bring a smile to Virgil's face, despite the severity of the situation.
When I punch a guy, they've been decked. When you've been hit by a guy with hands the size of pumpkins, that's being anihilated. That would make most people think twice.

Switching his mind back to the task at hand Virgil considered the somewhat dower look on Dragon's face. He never was particulary good at hiding his thoughts. After I asses the situation I'll better be able to present some options to him. Dragon's not going to be able to deviate from his other goals too far without there being a bottom line in all of this, and I may very well need his help. He trusts my judgement though, afterall, I did find hook us up with the contacts proving that substantial bonus in Aztlan.

Virgil shifted his legs to try and keep blood flowing through them. Frag is it gonna hurt when I stand up again.

"Father Bremen, exactly where are we going? And who is this Jedi character?"

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Sep 13 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #164

Shooting Target

1555 January 5 2063 - Driving in Auburn

"I needed to get her away quickly, you understand? She was obviously in danger, so I couldn't let anyone find out. I didn't know where to turn." Automatically Father Bremen tried to turn in the small car to face Virgil to explain: and Dragon made another urgent steering adjustment to compensate.

"That's when Quixote turned up. He has a knack of that, turning up where he is needed. He took Julia with him and left an address in Auburn where I'd be able to contact him when help arrived. He has an arrangement there, he said. He said that if he told me directly, the people who wanted her would be able to tear it out of my mind. Normally they would trade off, him and his partner, but she's studying somewhere out east so it's just him right now. That's another reason he wants to get back."

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post Sep 14 2004, 03:11 AM
Post #165

Dragon

1508 Jan 5 2063, Key to the Future

Avalanche's phone rings. On the other end of the line is his customer. "Hey, it's me. Can I come by to pick up my stuff in say, an hour?"

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post Sep 14 2004, 03:32 AM
Post #166

Dragon

1557 January 5 2063 - Driving in Auburn

Auburn, Auburn...didn't something big happen there today? Better check it out.

Silently he switched on his radio in his head, and began scanning through the channels for news reports.

Let's see what we can pick up... Glancing over at the two new dents in the dashboard, he gritted his teeth. Damn it Virgil! This better be another one of them million nuyen paydays, to make all this worthwhile. Or at the least, enough to pay for the repairs to my fragging car!

Forcing himself to sound civil (it wasn't the priest's fault, at least, not entirely) he asked, "Are we almost there yet?"

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Sep 14 2004, 10:57 AM
Post #167

Shooting Target

1559 January 5 2063 - Driving in Auburn

Static ... talk radio ... static ... golden oldie ... static ... is that even music? ... static ... talking heads,and there isn't even any visual ... static ... oh hell, more talking heads, is there an election this year? ... static ... "And now the weather" ... static ... country music ... static ... "Aunt May's real Aztlan chili" ... static ... oh, that one's got to be Darwin's bastards ... static ... "This is KWNR, the real voice of the spirit, bringing you all the news that the other networks won't touch!"

K? No way they can be local, I thought that was a call sign for east of the Mississippi, or is it west? Right, invert it, "W" for "not-west". Too many countries. So many stations, and still nothing on.

"... so remember to set your calendars, chummers ..." fizzle into static, but he hadn't changed the channel? Wait, there it was again ...

"... and in other news, there's still no definitive word on what's behind that restaurant fire in Auburn, although speculation is running rampant:
Man's voice: I'm telling you, it's the yaks.  This is just their style.

Woman's voice (hysterical): My daughter's in there!  Please!!  I need to find her!  She didn't do nothing!  Let me go!

"Britanny" teen voice: Like, we were just walking by and saw all these flames, like they were a couple of storeys high, and I'm, like, that's so seriously cool, and Kora's, like, maybe we should call someone, and I'm, like, hello, it's not like we're alone here, and she's, like, well, I'm calling anyway, and I'm, like, well if you want to be a total freakazoid, like, even the fire's looking at you like you're ... [/merciful cut-off]

At this point four people have been confirmed dead. The flames have now been extinguished, but the building has been declared unsafe. The local fire department is investigating ..." ... static

"Are we almost there yet?"

"Almost. This turnoff, then four lights in, turn right ..."

For a mercy, the directions actually seem relatively short. Assuming the blocks didn't turn out to be something totally strange (and in Seattle, who knows?), Dragon figures they should be there in about ten minutes max.

+Quote Post
banditf50
post Sep 14 2004, 12:23 PM
Post #168

Moving Target

1559 January 5 2063 - Driving in Auburn

"Wait a sec Father, I have a couple more questions to clarify your story."

Maybe he's really anxious, but he keeps pulling names out of who knows where

Virgil began again, "Exactly who is Quixote? Is the the same idividual whom you referred to as 'The Jedi' before? Second, you mentioned that Kiki told you that the phones at the shelter were bugged, who is Kiki."

Virgil paused for a second not wanting to overload Father Bremen if he was already mentaly stressed. "Your information will prove the be invaluable if it can help me to assess exactlay whom we might be dealing with in our efforts to protect Julia. My last question is a bit more complicated. Quixote said that if you did not know where Julia was, then it couldn't be pulled from your mind. Kiki also said that your phones were tapped. Did either of them have an idea of who might be after Julia?"

At this last question Virgil leaned foward towards Father Bremen hoping that he would not feel inclined to turn around and thus send the car carrenning across the road again.

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Sep 14 2004, 09:55 PM
Post #169

Shooting Target

1600 January 5 2063 - Driving in Auburn

"Er -- yes, it's the same person. Didn't I say that?" Father Bremen considered. "No, I suppose I didn't. Some people call him Quixote, and he answers to it. I suppose I thought you'd already know him. Then again, no reason you should.

"Kiki is someone I met on the Matrix. I don't really know a whole lot about her or what she might know. She said she was willing to meet with me about it. That's looking a bit more urgent now.

"As to what the Jedi knows, you'll have to ask him. He's not what you might call talkative."

+Quote Post
banditf50
post Sep 14 2004, 10:03 PM
Post #170

Moving Target

1601 January 5 2063 - Driving in Auburn

Looks like we may have some allies already, or at least individuals who appear to be allies at the moment.

"Perhaps you would allow me to accompany you Father Bremen, when and if you meet with Kiki" Inquired Virgil. I wonder how she knew the shelter was bugged, seems to reason she probably knows who arranged the tap.

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Sep 14 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #171

Shooting Target

1602 January 5 2063 - Driving in Auburn

"All right, take this turn and just down the off-ramp, then right at the lights ..."

The priest began to lean forward, then changed his mind (or else the cramped quarters changed it for him) and sat heavily back instead. The bucket seat inched back a little further. "I know her from Matrix only, as I said. She said she had some stuff I needed to see, we didn't really set a time or anything. " He shrugged. "I'm not Matrix savvy. I don't think she'd mind if you came along. Oh, and she didn't actually say that we were tapped for sure, just that she figured it likely. After what happened and what the Jedi said, I didn't want to take the chance."

He hesitated, and after a moment pointed a finger. "Is that smoke?"

A thin, dark wisp had come into brief visibility between two buildings as the car rounded the corner, curling and dissipating into the afternoon air.

+Quote Post
banditf50
post Sep 15 2004, 12:34 AM
Post #172

Moving Target

1603 January 5 2063 - A street in Auburn

Dragon was forced to stop the car as the Seattle Fire Department had the block ahead of them barricaded off. Several fire trucks as well as a several Lone Star patrol cars and Doc Wagon ambulances were parked in a strewn fashion across the street, all activity was focused on the burnt hulk of some type of store front.

"Lord have mercy," gasped Father Bremen hurriedly crossing himself and muttering a prayer for the dead. Virgil was confused for a moment, until his gaze fell upon the solem form of body bag resting on one of the Doc Wagon stretchers.
Virgil found his hand drift to clasp around his rosary.

The scence was not nearly chaotic as one would expect for such a fire. The SFD probably put this one out a while ago. Yet still so many fire fighters combing the wreckage. Still trying to process the sudden change from monotonous street side to hazard zone, Virgil's eyes fell upon the utility truck with the fire marshal ensignia. Hmmm . . . arson perhaps?

"Hey Dragon, can you hit the radio and tune to the news?"

Dragon began fumbling with the dials, still watching the workers scurrying aboud the corpse of the building.

"Father Bremen please tell me that was not the building that we were headed too . . ."

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Sep 15 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #173

Shooting Target

1604 January 5 2063 - A street in Auburn

Father Bremen's slumped posture told Virgil more than he had really wanted to know.

Now what do we do?

+Quote Post
banditf50
post Sep 15 2004, 03:01 AM
Post #174

Moving Target

1604 January 5 2063 - A street in Auburn

Fraggin great. This is one of those times when I wish I was imagining the danger. Looking over at Father Bremen it was obvious to Virgil that he was pretty shaken.

Virgil leaned in towards Dragon, "Can you sit with Father Bremen for a few minutes, maybe park the car around the block before we get asked to move. I want to talk to a few bystanders."

"Right, see you in a few. I'll keep monitoring the radio broadcasts why your at it," responded Dragon while tapping the side of his head. "The only friend I have in town, and already your getting me into trouble . . . just like old times man."

Virgil turned towards Father Bremen and placed a firm hand on broad shoulder. "Father, when you feel ready, I need you to recall all that you can about this Quixote character. How you met him, who he is, why you let him take Julia. Every bit you remember will help us track her down if it comes to that."

After seeing a look of understanding in Father Bremen's eyes Virgil stepped out of the Americar and headed towards the sidewalk across from the fire site.
Who was it that said even the longest journey begins with a single step?

There was a small crowd of people formed on the sidewalk, a mix of pedestrians and shop owners, all gossiping to each other. Seems as good of a place as any.

Virgil approached a girl wearing an apron from the Seattle Beanery soykaf bar that was located a couple stores down. Putting on a smile and adopting the stunned look that was characteristic of everyone in the crowd, Virgil addressed her. "Terrible tradegy. What place was this . . .?"

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post Sep 15 2004, 03:54 AM
Post #175

Dragon

1606 January 6, 2063- A street in Auburn

Parking the car a bit down the block, Dragon turns to Father Bremen . “Wait here please. I’m going to go and have a look around. And while you’re thinking about this Quixote character, think about what you can tell us about Kiki as well.”

Getting out of the car, he casually rearranges his coat to conceal the Savalette Guardian under his arm. Heading towards the scene of the crime, he focuses on finding the Lone Star police band. I’m very curious what the Star has to say about this. Who knows, maybe it’ll turn up some clues, or even better, a lead.

While he lets the cyber in his head do its thing and scan the airwaves, he locates himself a good vantage point and carefully examines the entire scene, crowd, cops, firemen, geography, everything. If I find something useful, maybe I can get to it before the Star, witness or otherwise. Virgil will cover the people angle, so I guess it’s up to me to cover the terrain. All righty then, let’s see what we can see…

+Quote Post

77 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 12:43 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.