IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

77 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Living in the Shadows: IC, your run might be over...
SentineloftheMou...
post Oct 15 2004, 06:28 PM
Post #226

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,556

1600 January 7, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

"Actually, I came in to see if you wanted anything to eat and making a food run", Andie says to Sara with a dazzling smile. "An Enchanter can only go as far as his stomach."

After taking Sara's order Andie leaves the shop and goes to the corner stuff shack for food and returns with groceries. He prepares and warms the food for the both of them and takes a tray of food to Sara; placing it outside the ritual circle she is working on. <i>She can eat when she is ready.</i>

<i>Phew!! I stink. Need a shower before I contaminate the shop.</i> He then goes to the back of the shop into the bathroom and takes a shower to get cleaned up.

He will then use the computer terminal to look for real estate property listings for a new magic store. <i>I'm going to need a place to lease or buy by the time the new equipment arrives for the shop. I better ask Sara for advice on the best locations without too much competition.</i>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Oct 16 2004, 06:21 PM
Post #227

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,546

1710 January 7, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

When Andie returns, he finds Sara has finished that part of the inscriptions and sealed them. Seeing him, she gives him a warm smile and waves him over. "We can both watch it from here. Can you feel the mana flow? I always like the feel of a work going well."

Andie considers. He can assence the small trickle of mana being channelled through him and now a bit through Sara as well, but he wouldn't go so far as to say that he feels anything, not in the way she's talking about. Really, he's always been much more comfortable with things that could clearly be reduced to formulae and processes. Whenever Sara starts talking about "feels" and such he -- well, he doesn't see the point. A ritual's a ritual, isn't it?

He picks up his own supper. "I was going to ask you about a place, where I could open my own magic shop without getting into too much competition. I was about to go through the real estate listings."

Sara laughs. "Oh, my Andie, always so focused. Well, there's no place you're not going to get some competition, but I'd just as soon it wasn't me!" She takes a large forkful of noodles and chews them thoughtfully before continuing. "I know Stringbean is thinking of retiring -- that's Jeremiah to you -- but he'll want standard business transfer costs to sell his business. You know, the full value of the equipment and place, plus estimated profits for the next ten years?" Seeing Andie's face fall, she shakes her head a little. "I'm sorry. You'd be paying for the security and the having been established of the place, and that's just how it works, you know? Unless you've got a small fortune, you'd probably be best off trying what you were originally working on, building something up yourself."

"Well, I was going to ask you about locations ..." he begins tentatively.

"How should I know?" Sara asks, but her tone holds no sting. "I'm not an expert in places. I can guide you in how to research each one out, that's all. Well, that, and I can tell you that if it's ultra-cheap, you're probably getting exactly what you paid for. Oh," she adds, almost as an afterthought, "no matter where you settle on, there's some ... unofficial ... business that always goes on in the area. Always check out who runs an area ... unofficially, you know? And if you're getting different answers, get the hell out of there but fast, because that place is about to become a battlezone." Her eyes are very tired at that moment. "Trust me, Andie," she says at last, and the tiredness and a shadow of loss echoes in her voice, "it's not worth the fight."

And then she smiles brightly again: "Thank you for taking the shower!" With a grin she adds, "It's appreciated!"

+Quote Post
banditf50
post Oct 18 2004, 06:36 AM
Post #228

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,525

1900 January 5, 2063 - Virgil's Shop

"The SPD and SFD are still investigating the cause of a deadly 3-alarm fire that broke out at an Auburn night club earlier this afternoon. No official statement has been made but the fire marshall will make a statment for the 2100 news. More on this disaster as we hear it . . . "

Hmm, so that place was a nightclub. Strange how legwork begins by turning on the news. Virgil leans back in his chair staring at the remnants of his frozen pizza. I wonder how much information the SFD and lonestar will turn up, or rather what will be released to the public. Surely they will uncover the elemental nature of the conflargation, but it will most likely be reported as criminal arson. Luckily for Virgil he had managed to rescue what might be a valuable witness to the crime.
The women him and Dragon had pulled from the rubble hadn't been very wounded after that Doc Wagon mage had gotten through with his healing magic, she'd probably be in talking condition by tommorow morning. Juliette and Galina were excellent care-givers. I'd better swing by there first thing tommorow and see if the lady is willing to share her story.

Virgil's mental inventory was interuppted by the sudden beeping of his cell phone. Taking the call Virgil was greeted with the scratchy yet full voice of Inleat Fairfire coming over the line.

"Well Virgil my friend, I haven't heard from you in several months. Things are well I trust?"

Virgil had come into contact with Inleat while tracking the blood-mage target down in Aztlan. During the course of his reconiscence Virgil discovered that the Draco Foundation had placed a bounty on blood-mages and his attempts to contact the foundation had yielded Inleat, a researcher from the foundtation's group on magical threats. Inleat arranged for a bounty to be paid out and the ensuing success of the mission made Inleat look very successful in the eyes of his superiors. Since then they kept the lines of communication open with Virgil being the "eyes in the trenches" for Inleat.

"It has been too long Inleat, that is why I called you. We have some catching up to do and perhaps an investment to discuss. I thought that I could treat you to a drink at the Fox and Hound tommorow at 1500."

"Always straight to the point you are Virgil. I can make that date just fine. I'll look foward to hearing about this . . . investment oppurtunity."

Hanging up the phone Virgil put his feet up onto the kitchen table and leaned his chain onto its back legs. No matter how this situation plays out, we will never be able to track Julia or protect her without funding . . .now perhaps it is time for just a bit of luck to slide the pieces into place.

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post Oct 18 2004, 07:16 AM
Post #229

Dragon

Member No.: 6,260

2100 January 5 2063- Pike Place Farmer’s Market

Dragon glanced around, casually taking in the environment. He had selected the place because it was open and there were a variety of stores and places that could be used as meeting places, if necessary. It was time to get down to biz, and since he didn’t know the other party all that well, it was best to be in a place that would give him options, if push came to shove. He didn’t think he’d need to worry about that though. The person he was meeting would definitely not want this to be made public.

What was with Selina tonight? She sounded really tense. I don’t know why she’d be upset, or whatever it was that she was. And why wouldn’t she tell me? We’ve known each other too long and too well not to be more honest about stuff. And why Tommy Wong’s? She knows I owe her dinner. In a suit. Maybe she doesn’t want to collect when there’s company around. That’s probably it. I wonder if it has anything to do with Christina…

Upon further reflection, he concluded that that was probably it. Ever since he’d started seeing her, things with Sybersnake had been a bit difficult. His past and his present called to him through her, but at the same time, wouldn’t that be an admission that things would never be different? That he’d be trapped in this life forever. Christina represented possibility…namely, the possibility that things could be different.

That was probably why Sybersnake couldn’t resist digging at him a little, reminding him that people like them would always live like this. Whether they wanted to or not, they were who they were, and nothing would ever change that. Or was that so certain? Could Christina be the one to change all that?

If she still accepts you after she finds out the truth he reflected grimly. Chiding himself for thinking about personal biz while there was real biz at hand, he suddenly remembered that he had to call Virgil . A quick call revealed that he wasn’t in, or at least not picking up, but it didn’t matter.

Virgil , it’s me. 1100 tomorrow morning, Tommy Wong’s . I got something that might turn up some spare cred for us. And I might be bringing someone with me to help us out. See you then.”

“Talking about me?” The sultry voice came from behind him, designed to impress him, he knew. He wasn’t. He had heard her coming while she was a ways away, and made sure she only heard the tail end of the conversation. She posed no threat. She needed him as much as he needed her. Probably more, if what Global had told him was true.

Without turning, he replied, “Maybe. You’re late.” Casually, he turned towards her and quickly took her in at a glance. At 5’10, she was taller than him by about 3 inches, and although she might not immediately seem it, was probably nearly as strong, if not stronger, than him.
A dark brunette with professional-length and styled short hair, mid-dark olive skin, large dark brown eyes in the almond shape, and dressed in a tight fitting black business suit that showed off her well-toned and attractive figure, she was quite a sight. She had the body of someone who worked out regularly, and her extremely attractive features were a testament to the work she’d had done on her.

He probably could have figured all this out on his own, just by checking her out, but since he had that file from Global , why put in the extra effort? Giving him a winning smile, she replied, “Guilty as charged. Haven’t you ever heard of being fashionably late?” Extending a well-manicured hand to him, she offered, “ Tiffany.

Shaking her hand, she seemed a bit surprised that he didn’t seem the least bit perturbed by her unusually strong, firm grip. “ Dragon .” Gesturing, he indicated that she should follow him along a prearranged route that he’d already determined would allow him to spot any potential tails, as well as give them plenty of opportunities to hold their conversation in a bit more private locale, if they so desired.

She frowned a bit at his abruptness, but quickly covered it up. Probably isn’t used to someone being so abrupt with her. Well I know I’m supposed to be working on that, but on the other hand, while she’s off balance, that makes it better for me. And this is my area, after all.

Without any preamble, he said, “I’m looking for someone who is good in the information biz. Knows how to work the streets, the corps, the nets. Someone who is good at digging up information and putting it to use. Someone who maybe doesn’t mind taking a few risks and getting their hands a little dirty. Someone who’s got the skills to run in the gray areas between the shadows and the light. I hear you might be that someone. Are you?”

Giving him a sly look, Tiffany replied, “You don’t dance around, do you?” Grinning at her mirthlessly, Dragon replied, “I prefer cutting right to the chase. You’ve got things I want, and I’ve got stuff you want, so let’s just start dealing.”

A bit miffed, she replied coolly, “Let’s say that I am that person. What would you be offering in return?” Dragon nodded. Although she already knew the answer, it was expected that there would be a restatement of matters. “You want real stories. You want to chase down real leads. Those kind of stories bring heat, and you’ll need protection. You need access to the ‘shadier’ side of the story, and you want someone watching your back while you’re there too. And of course,” he grinned again, this time a bit more friendly, “an exclusive.”

That got a small smile out of her, but without breaking stride, she added, “And what makes me believe you’re that person? You think muscle isn’t a dime a dozen? Last time I checked, it might not be that cheap, but you seem to think we would be equals in this partnership.”

“Are you trying to say we wouldn’t be?”

“Well let’s be honest, I think you need me a lot more than I need you. I mean, I can go get any number of muscleguys from any number of fixers, but how many reporters can you find who’d be willing to work with you?”

Again, a predatory smile. “Oh you could find a lot of muscle guys, I’m sure. But professionals? Doubtful. For your purposes? Even more doubtful. You’re still legit, and you don’t want that to change. Guys who wouldn’t be tempted to maybe just tap some of that fine stuff you’ve got in that suit, or maybe sell you into slavery, or just flat out mug you? They cost sweetheart, and frankly, for your purposes, I’m one of the best you could ask for.”

She arched an eyebrow at him. “Think a bit highly of yourself, don’t you? You think they could get away with that? You think people wouldn’t…” He cut her off. “People wouldn’t care. And they wouldn’t notice. You’re small time, and you know it. Anchor at Noon? For the Seattle Spy? Give me a break. A lousy slot on a second-class network. That’s why you’re taking this shot. Because you want to break into the big time, and you need help to do it. That’s why you’re here, yes or no.”

Glaring at him furiously, she seethed, “I asked for a professional. I was mistaken to think I got one. Whatever else you may or may not be, you clearly have no understanding of social skills, or etiquette, or any proper way of dealing with people. I don’t care how good you think you are, I will not be treated like this.” Whirling around, she stomped off.

Calling after her, loudly enough for her to hear him clearly but not so loud that anyone would notice, he said, “Treated like what? An ork?” She froze immediately, stopping dead in her tracks. “Touched a nerve there, didn’t I?”

Well, here’s where we see if this whole ploy was worth jack and if I actually read into her file correctly. Unless I miss my guess, she’ll be on her way over here to kick, or at least try to kick, my hoop right…about…now. Storming back to him with violence in her eyes, she suddenly lashed out with a right hook that probably would have rocked him. If he’d been there when it connected. Easily he stepped back out of her range, and when she came across with her left, caught her arm easily. She was strong, about as strong as him, but he had more experience and he held her fast.

“You’re good. That’s what I’ve heard. I had you checked out. Impressive, at least when they give you a chance to be. Honesty? You want honesty? You’ll always be second rate and third fiddle to whoever they have up there. Who is it now? Some ditzy elf chick? And an old White Anglo Saxon Protestant? Babe, you are fine, as good-looking an ork as I’ve ever seen, and probably one of the best-looking girls I’ve seen period, but they don’t care. You’ll always be ‘the ork’ to them, and no matter how good you look, you ain’t ever gonna crack the prime time, because they ain’t gonna give you the chance to. I want to help you change that. And I mean that. That’s why your boy sent you to me.”

Still breathing heavily, she jerked her arm free. “They said you’re the kind of guy who’s good to have at your back. Solid rep, up and down, never any complaints about you. They say you’ve seen action all over the world, you know your stuff, and you aren’t just dumb muscle. Good at scanning things, people, getting a feel for the action. You got skills that your average razorguy doesn’t, you’ve got talent and you know how to use it. But frankly, you’re confusing the hell out of me.”

Tossing her hair back, she continued to rail, “I come expecting that kind of guy, a pro, and instead, you just come here to push my buttons. What the frag is your deal?”

Laughing, he shot back, “Now you’re getting it. Girl, this ain’t no business deal. And this isn’t some negotiating session where we sit down all nice like and try to come to a ‘mutually beneficial arrangement’ or some drek like that. This is a relationship in the making, and I wanted to know if you’re worth my time. My rep is there for a reason. I have been around the globe. Seen action on pretty much every damn continent not named Antarctica, and I’m here in Seattle to make moves, not putz around like some newbie. I need someone who can help me gather quality information in a hurry, but more than that, I need a chummer that I trust at least enough to work with, if not to actively look out for my best interests.”

Cocking his head slightly, he gives her a curious look. “You get it yet? I’m checking you out. Plenty of fools would think they could use me, sell me out when it’s convenient, and that would force me to take some drastic, and messy actions, not to mention waste time I don’t have. You’re honest, I like that. Lost your cool, sure. But I was pushing your buttons. I want to know if there’s really a person underneath that reporter exterior you got going, or if you’re just another soulless sellout who’s looking to get her at everyone else’s expense.”

Calming down slightly, she replied sarcastically, “You don’t think everyone’s out to get theirs? You trying to tell me you’re different? Special? What are you, some kind of hero?”

Shaking his head, Dragon replied, “I’m no hero. And yeah, I’m out to get mine for me and mine, just like you. But I want to know, are you the kind of person who has more to their life than that? You’re an ork, you grew up with everyone gunning for you in your profession. That’s the way it is, not even figuring the drek you got just for being an ork. That’s why I decided to meet with you, decided to give you a shot. Plenty of reporters would take this offer, but that doesn’t mean I’d want to work with them.”

Looking up at her, holding her gaze with his eyes, he said simply, but gently, “I meant what I said. This isn’t about biz, plain and simple. It’s about a relationship. That’s how these things work when I play them.” Shrugging, Dragon said, “I know what you’re thinking. You’re cynical, and you don’t buy it. True or false?”

Shrugging, it was obvious she wasn’t entirely sure, and was buying time to think. “Should I believe you? What makes me think I should? Like you said, this is the shadows, and what makes me so sure you’re any different than everyone else out here?”

Still looking in her eyes, he replied, “That’s for you to decide. I took this approach because I wanted to get past the bulldrek. Yeah, we could work just on a purely professional level, and don’t get me wrong, I’ve done it before and I’m down with it. But the people you work best with are those you at least sort of care about on a personal level, those you look out for because you want to, and they do the same for you. In the long run, it’s better for all parties involved in pretty much every way, and it gives us a chance to develop something more than just an untrusting relationship based on the almighty nuyen.”

He had her attention now. Running with it for all he was worth, he continued, “You want to be someone, someone more than just 'the ork'. You want the shot they won’t give you. You want nothing more than the chance you’ve earned, that you’re denied just for you who are. I want to help give you that chance, but I want to know if you’d want to help me too. Not because of money, or what’s in it for you, but just because. I can’t really explain it more than that, to be honest. Loyalty, friendship, obligations, duty…those are things that you either get, or you don’t. I’ve worked with plenty who don’t, and that’s all it was, work. But those who I really work with on a continuing basis? They get it, at least to some degree.”

Silence. He saw in her eyes that he had touched a nerve, and if nothing else, was really listening to him now.

Dragon took a deep breath, and finished, “So I guess when you get right down to it, that’s the real question, isn’t it? Do you get it, or don’t you? And do you want to make this a relationship that’s actually worth our time, or a purely symbiotic one? If it’s the former, then I respect that, and I wish you luck, but since I’m looking for a long-term thing here, I’d say that concludes our biz. If it’s the latter…”

He left it hanging for a moment, then concluded, “Then maybe we’ve got something to talk about after all.”

In the silence that followed, he examined her closely, watching and waiting for her response.

Only two more questions. Is she interested, or not? And is she going to play it straight with me, or not? Given what I could dig up on her, I figured this might catch her off guard and give me the best chance at actually building a worthwhile relationship with her. Now’s where we find out if I’m right or not…

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Oct 18 2004, 03:35 PM
Post #230

Shooting Target

2115 January 5 2063- Pike Place Farmer’s Market

The digital clock behind where Tiffany was standing ticked over. Fifteen minutes had already passed. Only fifteen minutes had passed. Dragon wasn't at all sure whether he'd expected more time to have gone by, or less. So much had passed between the two of them, so quickly.

"Maybe we do," Tiffany said at last. Her tone was trained, level. It said nothing about the trapped look in her eyes.

Still breathing heavily, she added, "Your information's old. The ditzy elf chick's gone. She left years ago, got some kind of contract where she still sends back the odd fluff piece from wherever she is and we buy it. Kind of like a Seattle's Eye on the World kind of thing. That's why the Matrix site's not been properly updated yet. It's Rachel now who's got the seat. Daughter of one of the directors or some such crap; spends more money than God and charges it to the department. She used to be weathergirl."

And now Dragon recognised how ruthlessly the woman was suppressing the small spark of hope. Hope makes you vulnerable. Hope allows you to be hurt.

... Hope allows you to live.

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post Oct 19 2004, 05:38 AM
Post #231

Dragon

2115 January 5 2063- Pike Place Farmer’s Market

Nodding in response to her correction, Dragon clarified, “Long, curly black hair, necklines that plunge, mage. That’s her, right?”

Practically spitting the words out, Tiffany answered, “Yeah that’s her.” She paused a second, realizing that maybe he knew more about Rachel than he had previously let on. Looking at him quizzically, she asked, “Wait a minute, you know more about her than I would’ve thought. If you know that, why didn’t you mention her sooner? Why mention the ditzy elf chick?”

Smiling a bit sheepishly, Dragon shrugged and said, “Well…I figured you’d get more worked up about losing out to a ditzy blond elf than this girl. At least this girl’s a mage, even if her illusions are moronic. But that’s still better than the elf, who couldn’t string together an intelligent thought if they handed it to her. But hey, if I had known about her spending, being the daughter of a director, and all that, I probably would’ve used her first.”

Mouth hanging slightly open, it looked like Tiffany didn’t know whether to laugh or smack him. In the end, she settled for a little of both. Laughing slightly, she launched a playful swipe at his head, which he ducked in mock fright. The tension lifted slightly, but Dragon could still see the trapped look in her eyes, the ruthless suppression of hope.

Stay away from the shallow, the casual. Got her thinking, want to keep that up. As she shivered slightly in the chill winter air, he asked, “Cold?” She looked like she wanted to respond affirmatively, but her pride wouldn’t let her. Checking out her clothing bit more, it was obvious she wasn’t dressed for the weather. Wearing a fashionable long trench coat, it looked great on her, and was probably very stylish for reporting on camera, but it was designed for someone used to waiting with a cup of hot coffee in her hands, near a nice warm camera van, if she was even out and about at all.

Despite her shaking her head negatively, he took off his coat and over her protests, placed the warm parka over her shoulders. She shivered slightly as he did, and he teased her gently, “I thought you weren’t cold.” She gave him an odd look, and turned away from him, using her body to push him away in the process. Silently, she began walking towards the various shops and restaurants that lined the arcade, and he fell in step next to her, waiting for her to break the silence.

After what was probably only a few minutes but felt like an eternity, Tiffany asked him, “Why did you do that?” Uncertain what exactly the ‘that’ was, Dragon asked in response, “’That’ could refer to a lot of things. What exactly are you referring to?”

Looking at him again oddly, she asked, “Why did you do this?” Lifting the parka up slightly, she made it clear she was referring to his offer of the coat. Uncertain how to respond, Dragon hesitantly answered, “Because it was obvious that you were cold.”

Snorting, she answered, “Why do you care? No one else does…” Carefully, he prompted her, “What do you mean? I smell a story.” Sniffing at the air brought a laugh from Tiffany that while somewhere between a sniffle and an angry snort of derision, was nonetheless genuine.

Slowly, almost like she was talking about it for the first time, like she couldn’t believe she was actually sharing, she replied, “Once, maybe a couple years back, Juliana , that’s the ditzy blond elf, and myself were out doing a story on something. It was something big, I can’t even remember exactly what, can you believe it? Anyway, we were out, and it was really cold, just like today.”

At that moment, a gust of chill air shot through the market, as if to say ‘Yes, it was this cold. Don’t you forget.’ Increasing her pace, Tiffany shivered again, and continued, “Everyone was falling all over themselves to get her coffee, a comfortable seat in the van, their coats…whatever she wanted, or even could remotely want. It was like I wasn’t even there.” She shook her head softly. “They just couldn’t wait to do something that might get them her attention, or her favor, or some drek like that. I was freezing, and no one even bothered to offer me a coffee, even though they had gotten some for the crew. It was like I didn’t count, or something.”

She lowered her head for a moment, and when she raised it, even though she was looking ahead resolutely, pointedly not looking at Dragon , he could still see the tears forming in the corner of her eyes. Blinking furiously to cover it up, Tiffany continued, “When Juliana left, and Rachel moved up to anchorwoman, it was the same thing. Even though I’d been there longer, was more experienced, was just flat out a better reporter…it didn’t matter. She was a director’s daughter, she flaunted her body, and even though it’s not like there’s a huge difference in our looks, she’s…” she stopped, and lowered her head, unable to continue.

Softly, he finished her sentence for her. “Human.” Snapping her head up to stare at him fiercely, the tears staring to slowly slide down her cheeks, she snapped, “So why are you talking to me like this? There, you’ve gotten me to crack, gotten me to talk about myself. I never told anyone, never let anyone see how much it hurt me. How much it cut to not only be ignored as a reporter, but as a person. Why? Because I’m an ork?” She laughed, but it was full of scorn and bitterness. “Even the head anchor, Jim, doesn’t seem to know, or care, that I’m an ork. I don’t matter to anyone else. Why should I believe that I matter to a complete stranger? Give me a reason. Go ahead. Give me a reason why I should believe that you even come close to genuinely caring.”

The tears flowed freely now, and she stopped walking to lean against a wall, shoulders slumped, head bowed as she gave in to the emotions, so long ruthlessly suppressed, now beginning to fight their way to the surface. Without looking up, she whispered, “Are you happy now? I cracked. OK? You got to see what you wanted, right? You pushed my buttons and I cracked. You got what you wanted. Just leave me alone.” Spent and overwhelmed by the emotions that were engulfing her, she slowly began sinking to the ground, heedless of the damage it might do to her suit.

Silently, Dragon catches her hand, and pulls her to her feet. Although she is far from accepting, she doesn’t resist as he stops her fall. Pulling her carefully into her arms, he holds her tight as she continues sobbing, shaking in his arms. Whispering softly, he says, “That’s not what I wanted. I didn’t want to make you crack, and I didn’t want to see you cry. I can’t give you proof you can believe me. I can’t prove that you can trust me. That’s a decision you have to make for yourself. But I could see it in your eyes…you want hope. You need hope. Because you don’t have any. Yeah, not hoping means you can’t be hurt, don’t leave yourself vulnerable…but not hoping is a pretty damn lonely way to live. And all I wanted was to give you a choice, to trust me or not. I wanted to give you a chance, if nothing else, to hope for something. What you do with that choice, that chance, is up to you.”

Angrily trying to push him away, she cried, “Don’t tell me that! Don’t tell me I have a choice, or a chance! I don’t want either of them, and I don’t want your pity! I don’t want you feeling sorry for me! I just want you to leave me alone!” Holding her close despite her struggles, he stroked her hair gently and whispered, “Shh…shh…it’s ok…it’s ok…everything’s going to be ok. Things are going to be ok.”

Flailing at him with her arms, she yells, “I don’t want things to be ok! They aren’t going to be ok! They’re never ok! And they never will be!” Soaking up the blows, taking it in stride, he pulls her close and holds her tight until her rage is spent. Gradually, she calms down, taking deep breaths as she regains control of herself. Gasping for air, she begins to relax in Dragon’s arms as he softly soothes her.

After what is probably only a few minutes but feels like a lifetime, Tiffany takes a deep breath and whispers, “I don’t know why I let you see me like this. And I sure as hell don’t know why I should trust you or even give you a chance. But I’m going to. If nothing else, at least you tried.” Kissing him softly on the cheek, she whispers in his ear, “Thank you for caring.”

Then she disentangles herself from his arms, and looks him in the eye. In her familiar, professional tone of voice, she says harshly, “And damn you to hell if you’ve been lying to me.”

Smiling at her, Dragon answered, half joking and half serious, “Well, now that we understand each other and we’ve got such a solid basis for a good, healthy, long-term relationship, why don’t we get something to eat and have a much more enjoyable conversation?” Extending his arm to her chivalrously, he says, “Shall we go?”

Laughing, this time with real feeling behind it, Tiffany took his arm and smiled, adding flirtatiously, but sincerely, “Lead the way.”

For the next few hours, they passed the night in pleasant conversation, getting to know each other as people, as co-workers, as companions, and maybe even, as friends. The sun came up much too early, and when it did, there was still much to be built in their relationship. But it was a start.

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post Oct 19 2004, 08:37 PM
Post #232

Dragon

1050 January 6 2063- Tommy Wong’s

The next day, Dragon picked up Virgil and Tiffany , who despite the turbulent and emotional evening she’d had, showed no signs of being the worse for wear. She was exactly what she needed to be: calm, cool, and composed.

Well it’s good to know she recovers fast. I have no doubt she was being sincere yesterday, but it’s nice to know that despite her lowering her guard with me, she knows when it’s time to get down to biz.

After the requisite introductions between the mage and the reporter, they headed to the meet in relative small talk. Again, she proved quite adept at making conversation, even in a short car ride. Arriving at Tommy Wong’s a few minutes early, Dragon told the two of them to wait inside at a table. However, what he didn’t them was that it was because he wanted to speak to Sybersnake before the meet.

What was up last night? I don’t like going into this just with biz. If there’s an issue, I want to deal with it, or at least know about it beforehand. Hopefully she’ll clue me in.

Waiting outside, hands in his pockets to keep himself warm, paid off a few minutes later, as the sexy, classy Latina walked up to him and asked with a flirtatious smile, “You do know the meet’s inside, right?”

Smiling back, he said, “Yeah, but I wanted to see you first, before we got down to biz.”

She circled him slowly, teasingly, as she inquired, “Oh really? And why is that? Get a sneak preview of what I look like today or something?”

Looking down at her, he answered, “Well, I did want to set a time and place for that dinner date I owe you.” She smiled again, but the smile quickly faded as he continued, “And I wanted to ask you what was up with last night. Is everything ok? You sounded…tense.”

Glancing inside at Virgil and Tiffany , she said, “I see you brought a crew with you, and one of them’s quite a looker.” Looking directly at him, she added, “And I don’t mean the mage. You got another bit of fun I don’t know about Vincent ?”

With a pained expression, Dragon answered, “Look, Selina , I just met her last night…” She cut him off. “Last night? My you move fast, don’t you?” Brushing past him, she tried to enter the restaurant, but he caught her arm and held it fast. “Listen, the relationship between her and I is purely professional. Yeah, we got to know each other last night, but not in that way, ok?”

She yanked her arm free, and this time he let her. “Look, I know things between you and I are…complicated right now, but we’ll get that squared away. I just…” Again she interrupted, “When? When are we going to get it squared away? How about, when you accept who and what you are, or you decide to cut and run from yourself and chase a dream, an illusion, because that’s what it is Vincent , an illusion. She doesn’t even really know you? How can you even think a life with her would work? Why aren’t I good enough for you? Why isn’t this life good enough for you?”

Selina… ” He stopped, uncertain of how to continue, but she surprised him, this time stepping into him and wrapping her arms tightly around his neck. Holding him close, she whispered in his ear, “I’m sorry baby. I know this isn’t easy for you. This discussion isn’t going to conclude itself in five minutes, so we should really get down to business. We’ll talk about it more later, when you take me out to dinner.” She leaned back and smiled at him. “In a suit.”

With a mock grimace of pain, he smiled back, “You got it. Thanks…” He let the words trail off, and she gave him a quick peck on the cheek, releasing her grip in the process, and then asked, “Ready to work now?”

Mind more at ease, able to at least set aside the tension between him and Sybersnake until they could handle it more appropriately later, Dragon gave a cynical little smile that he often gave just before getting down to business and replied, “Yes…yes I am.”

And they turned and entered the restaurant, together.

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Oct 19 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #233

Shooting Target

1100 January 6 2063- Tommy Wong’s

Well, concluded Dragon, a bit ironically, after having watched Sybersnake and Tiffany sizing each other up, at least they aren't letting it get in the way of the biz.

Then he recognised how very much worse it could have been, and let it go.

"Well," he began, "you called, and we're here." He nodded to Sybersnake, but before he could add anything else the reporter said, "I'll be the one you don't know. I'm --"

"Tiffany, from the indie Seattle Spy," interrupted Sybersnake. "I've seen you on the air. You're good. Too good to settle for anchor."

Tiffany shrugged. "Do I get to know who you all are?"

Why not. "Dragon," said Dragon, and with his opening the others introduced themselves in turn by their streetnames. A slight, cynical smile quirked at the corner of the reporter's mouth. She knows that she knows now just as about much as she did before, Dragon realised. "Now that we've got that out of the way," he added with his own smile -- he tried to make it a bit warmer -- "what's up?"

The Latina stared at her nails. "Virgil, I trust. Tiffany, how much did Dragon tell you about all this?"

She was stalling, no question of it now. But again it was Tiffany who stepped in: "Probably about as much as you told him. Which, I'm gathering, wasn't a whole fraggin' lot. If it's shadow I get it, you don't have to worry about me springing anything you don't want sprung. But you planning to spill anytime soon or keep staring at your nails all morning?"

A moment of interesting silence followed.

Then, without looking up but without really looking at anything, Sybersnake said quietly, "I need your help." She took a deep breath, let it out. "Without it, my rep's not all that will end up fragged."

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post Oct 20 2004, 04:41 AM
Post #234

Dragon

1103 January 6 2063- Tommy Wong’s

Dragon's initial apprehension was processed...and he wasn't at all sure what the end result was. On the one hand, relief, and on the other, trepidation.

Well, Tiffany is as good as Global said she'd be. She's obviously got her head screwed on straight, her game face on, and she's ready to roll. I must admit, she's quite impressive. If I hadn't thrown her off her game right from the get go last night, things could've been a lot different. Still, gotta remember that it's a consistent effort. Cracking her once does no good if I don't keep building the relationship.

A quick side glance at Virgil, who responds with a nod, confirms that he's got Dragon's back on this.

No surprises there. Hell, what else is there to face we haven't stared down before? Same old same old. Although if it gets really hairy, we might need to call in Daedalus. Wonder how he's been? I wish that moron would freaking get off his lazy hoop and get in the game, so to speak.

"Go ahead Syber. Give us the details. Virgil and I have your back again, and Tiffany..." He looks over at Tiffany, who interjects, "Tiffany's in this for her own reasons, but," she looks Dragon in the eye, "Dragon and I have an...understanding, and you can trust me to take this play as far as he does."

I wish I could just hold her hand and tell her that everything's going to be ok. Not just this...but everything. God, why can't I get my own drek settled in my head? Since when did I start having to worry about relationships for God's sake, let alone a fragging love triangle...And then there's still that biz that I gotta take care of for Combat Inc....Holy frag is it only the 6th? Not even a week yet? It's going to be a busy fragging year. Happy New Year chummer...yeesh.

Nodding affirmatively at Tiffany, he looks back at Sybersnake and says, "Right. We've got an arrangement. You can trust her to back your play on this. She's with me, and by extension, us. So she's cool."

Dragon leans back in his chair and crosses his arms as Virgil silently pours them all a round of tea, all the while thinking, OK...tension so thick I could cut it with a knife here...and the sad part is, I don't think it even has to do with the whole 'life or death' situation Sybersnake's laying on us here. The staredown between Tiffany and Syber...not to mention the obvious tension with Dragon and Syber over what was her name? Christy? Kristen? Something like that. That moron. How the hell does he get himself into these things? Sheesh. And he complains about me dragging his hoop into saving the world? Hell I probably save him from himself by keeping him too busy to keep digging holes for himself.

Breaking Virgil's train of thought was Dragon saying gently, "Now that we're all clear who's on whose side here, maybe you better lay it on us girl."

Taking a deep breath and continuing to stare at her nails for just a few seconds longer, Sybersnake finally looks up at them and says, "OK then. Here's the deal..."

+Quote Post
banditf50
post Oct 20 2004, 06:24 AM
Post #235

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,525

1103 January 6, 2063 - Tommy Wongs

Dragon did always have a weakness for a pretty face, but this is fraggin crazy. I know that we really need the type of connections that Tiffany can provide us, but the mission does not need an extra dimension of personal complexity . . .or two as the case seems to be.

While pouring the tea Virgil takes a moment to size up the cold war being fought between the two women. He was very content to play the silent mage-type right now, as far as missions involving both him and Dragon were concerned Virgil played the role of tactician and Dragon was always the man on the spot with execution.

At least the initial maneuvers are proceeding as expected. Dragon has cultivated a source of information who displays a firm degree of professionalism, I have a meeting with Inleat later today, and perhaps this buisness with Sybersnake will turn into an auxillary source of funding for the long campain ahead.

Smiling politely at both women Virgil places the now empty tea pot at the edge of the table, lid open, and settles back with his cup awaiting the words of Sybersnake.

+Quote Post
Neophyte Overlor...
post Oct 20 2004, 05:07 PM
Post #236

Target

Member No.: 6,471

0219 January 5, 2063 - univercity district

Durin steps off the bus thinking about his new run. I'll have to place some calls saying I'll be out of town, might be able to learn a smuggling route down there.

His thoughts stray as his eyes follow a passing college girl, She's got nice...tracks of land.

Entering his appartment Durin glances at his drafting table. "No, no, that's no good. An ancestrial axe need to look better than that, what if I give it two heads..."

Durin quickly loses himself in design work for the next few hours.

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Oct 20 2004, 07:31 PM
Post #237

Shooting Target

1106 January 6, 2063 - Tommy Wongs

"I got hacked."

Virgil abruptly realised that his own small teacup was filled to the point of almost overflowing. He set the teapot aside and sipped away the excess. Certainly he was rattled. For all her teasing ways, Sybersnake could certainly be counted among the best deckers around, and not only in Seattle. But when she was cornered, she had an unfortunate habit of lashing out ... at whoever happened to be near her. Thanks a lot, Dragon.

"Go on," said Dragon levelly.

She continued to study her nails. "I suppose I should have recognised the signs. The Johnson all but said he was from Ares, and the datachips all had Ares coding. Stripped away that front, and it was looking for a while like Humanis --"

It was perhaps unfortunate that Tiffany happened to be holding her teacup at that exact moment, but a replacement was quickly obtained, and the decker continued:

"But it wasn't. Would you believe Saedar-Krupp?"

"Odd combination," said Virgil -- silent mage-type, yes -- and the reporter laughed sharply: "Sounds like the dragon though! You're sure about it?"

The decker sighed. "At this point I'm not sure about anything anymore. That's why you're here." Tiffany's eyes narrowed, a few age-lines flirting with the corners, but she nodded.

"The job?" reminded Dragon.

"Track down and expose a lupine shapeshifter who'd crossed the border with two women a few months back and who'd been working in some mailroom ever since. Straightforward enough. After all I was given the location of the crossing, and he couldn't possibly have used a real SIN ..."

The reporter winced. "That's one fragging hell of a lot of back-checking."

"Not so much. Surprise, surprise: all the border-crossing information itself was non-existent ... but for one thing, I could immediately eliminate anyone above or below a certain age and all women. That cut out more people than you'd think. Then I tried to eliminate everyone I could independently identify as having worked there before the date of the crossing.

"That's where the drek really started hitting the fan."

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post Oct 20 2004, 09:56 PM
Post #238

Dragon

0235 January 6 2063, Blaze's doss

Sitting in his favorite comfy chair, watching yet another rerun of "The B Team", a popular spinoff an old flatvid back in the 20th century, about a group of shadowrunner types taking on evil corporations, Blaze is startled when the phone rings. Who's that? Don't think anyone should be calling back so soon...

Picking up, he says curtly, "Hey." The voice on the other end replies easily, "Relax chum, it's me, George. Listen, I did a little preliminary searching, and I need you to narrow it down. What's the primary thing I'm searching for here? A group that shares your general beliefs and stuff, or a group of Leopard shamans. Cause just to tell ya, I don't think you're going to have much luck with the latter. The former will take a bit, but I got it eventually, give me time. The latter, you'd best hop a flight to Aztlan or something, cause you won't be finding it here."

Before Blaze can respond, an incoming call from Max comes in. "Hold on George, be right back."

"Hey Max."

"Hey kid. Got your message. 3 at Caveman Kate's later today is fine. See you then."

"Gotcha Max. Catch you later." Flipping back to George he gives it some thought, then replies, "All right, here's what I want you to do..."

+Quote Post
Kurukami
post Oct 20 2004, 11:56 PM
Post #239

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,242

0352 January 5, 2063 -- a dorm room at the University of Washington

Mmmhmm... Cheng stretched sensually, feeling the texture of the sheets against her body and basking in the post-coital endorphin glow. Beside her on the double bed, the toned frame of the young man she'd found sprawled carelessly in sleep, his hair spread out on the pillow around his head like a cinnamon halo. She smiled relaxedly down at his dozing profile, feeling the smooth play of muscles through her shoulders and arms. All the tensions that had been bound up there had melted away. That was precisely what I needed.

The bar had been a wash, but it was there that she'd heard about the post-winter break party that was going on up at one of the University's fraternity houses. Despite turning up so late in the evening, there were still more than a handful of people about, and she'd picked Sean from the milling crowd with little hesitation. He'd been more than agreeable, one thing had lead to another, and now she found herself sitting cross-legged atop his bed studying his features in repose.

With a regretful sigh, she slid off the sheets and began to dress, careful not to awaken him. He was a lovely young man, certainly enough, and possessed of charms that made him all the more appealing, and with a sensual appetite to rival hers... but nonetheless she knew that, for now, she dared not try to make this more than a night's pleasure in each other. With further intimacies would come questions, and entanglements, and commitment -- issues that, for the forseeable future, she couldn't risk.

Still... it wouldn't do to have him think she'd vanished into the night, never to be seen again. And he had been ... very enjoyable. She smiled contentedly down at him, fetched a stick of lipstick from her pocket, and swiftly wrote on the room's mirror.

Heya lover,

You were fantastic, and just
what I needed tonight. Let's
hook up again sometime.

Kate XOXOX
kjones@u.washington.edu

With that, and leaving a lipstick kiss on Sean's cheek, she slipped out the door and down towards the parking lot where her SUV waited. A quick switch of vehicles at the downtown lots, and then off to bed. Planning for the run can wait 'til sunrise.

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Oct 21 2004, 04:26 PM
Post #240

Shooting Target

1106 January 6, 2063 - Tommy Wongs

Sybersnake took a long sip of green tea, letting the heat of the liquid ease her throat, pausing for so long that Virgil found his attention drifting back again to the upcoming meet with Inleat. He knew why, of course: another complication, another favour for a contact that would help reinforce the basis for their interactions ... another potentially expensive complication: potentially extremely expensive, if Sybersnake's evaluation of her equipment situation was accurate. And Julia remained yet to find, and the unknown woman at the clinic to talk to, and the news on the fire to track down ... wait, maybe Dragon's thinking on bringing the reporter in on that too? She's in it for her own reasons, yes: but how much will those reasons end up costing us? When did I become the fiscally responsible one? I'm supposed to be the do-gooder. He's the mercenary!

"Of course, it was still looking like a straight-forward identity hunt, then," the decker finally continued. "First I narrowed the parameters by date and looking human and a couple of other things, they led me straight to this moonlighting old vato who was unknowingly muling BTLs along with his pizzas. No way that was my guy, so I backtracked. That led straight to a mariachi band." Sybersnake shuddered. "That's when the Johnson called to ask how it was going. I'd forgot to mention to you the job was time-sensitive. I told him I'd eliminated a few possibilities. He suggested another loose end might also need elimination."

Tiffany frowned. Virgil leaned forward, elbows on the table, fingers laced: but then couldn't think of anything to say beyond "Ah," and so decided not to say it.

"Ah," said Dragon, prompting a small flash of smile and a Latin shrug from the decker: "Well, you know how these things work. So in the meantime I figure I might as well try to find the wolf, whichever way things end up going. Started again right from the beginning, this time. That landed me the Scribe's sponsored dragonboat team."

"Someone's got some real good trace code on you," observed the reporter, catching Virgil off guard -- but of course it would almost have to be, wouldn't it? Dragon just nodded slowly. Virgil suddenly wondered what his friend was thinking. His own face was something of an open book -- rarely really a problem, given that he'd dedicated his life to Tyr, who'd not been known himself for his ability to dissemble. But Dragon could sometimes make up for both of them in that regard. Chinese inscrutability. Look it up in the dictionary, and you'd see Dragon's picture there as he watched and listened and thought his own thoughts. They worked well as partners, in combat they completed each other's need with few signals and fewer words, but Virgil had been around Dragon long enough to recognise the small changes, the few visible signs such as the sudden explosion against Father Bremen earlier. It remained to be seen whether what lay beneath the surface would turn out to be a deeper layer of self-knowledge ... or a slowly smouldering fuse ...

"So there it is," said Sybersnake. "I've got nothing. I've got my deck, but right now ..."

"You can't trust it," finished the other woman. "You've got a copy of what paydata you've already run, of course."

"Yeah, I snagged the copy I made before I bolted through the window what with the smoke alarm going off. I got it here somewhere. Figured you'd want it."

"Fire?" asked Dragon.

The Latina shook her head. "False alarm. Lucked out really: if it hadn't been for that, I'd never have spotted the razorboys and magiker before they had me. As it was, I caught sight of them on the way out, beating feet from the sirens.

"So anyway: there it is." She spread her hands. "I get this done with you guys and turn it over to the Johnson, you can have my advance and anything else he owes me. I just want to get this over, everyone off my back and my deck cleaned out. Not a whole lot I'm asking, really, concrete suggestions mostly and whatever you can find out, Tiffany. It's still straightforward enough, more or less: I deliver, or I get the hell out of Dodge." She shrugged. "Probably need to go to Denver anyway if I'm ever to get my systems cleared."

Maybe everyone was thinking it, but Tiffany was the one to say it: "Chica, you have got yourself into one fragging hell of a mess."

+Quote Post
paul_HArkonen
post Oct 21 2004, 08:20 PM
Post #241

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,295

1035 January 6 2063, Blaze's doss

"...I'd like a group that shares my general beliefs, if they're at least partly Leopards all the better, but that's not on top of the list. I'm hoping to further my connection with Leopard, but that can be done merely by furthering my connection with his cause, I hope. Thanks, I know you do some of the best work around. Oh yeah, I'm going to be out of town for a little while shortly, so if you can't get ahold of me just wait for me to call you back, I will when I get back."

Now to get ready for Caveman Kate's. Grabbing a few things to clean up with Blaze get's into the shower. I have to find some way to find Melissa, but right now I'm powerless to act. Hopefully this run will enable me to find her, and if not there is always the old fashioned way.

Steping out of the shower the light gleams across his wet skin, a silver glint on his chest recieves special attention.

+Quote Post
Shev
post Oct 21 2004, 09:16 PM
Post #242

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,949

0241 January 5, 2063 - Key to the Future

Avalanche closes the door to his shop, locks it, and starts heading up the
stairs eagerly. Once secure in his room, he jacks in with a smile of satisfaction.

After doing the normal anti-trace routines, he enters Shadowland, and is immedately greeted by a message telling him he has a new personal mail. Well, someone finally do their homework on me? Let's see... The mail pops up before his digital ice man's eyes.

CODE
Ice Cube,You've sparked my interest, and I had you checked out, and so far, you turn up clean. I just might buy that you're interested in giving that rat bastard Saito a bit of what for, ya know what I'm sayin? You got a place to meet where you at, maybe a little face to face so we can see if we're on teh same page. I figure your rep buys you that at least. Hit me back.

-Mutual Interest

Avalanche's avatar smiled. Not before I do my own homework, thank you very much...His digital avatar raised it's arms and sent out large swirling snowflakes. These knowbots were on a mission to find everything they could related to the tag "Mutual Interest."

Ah, drek. I didn't get any of the teams contact info, did I? I'd better...what's this?

A new PM pops up. Checking through it, Avalanche realizes it was from Alleycat, and contained info from a search she had made. I'll have to give this a lookthrough. But right now.... He saves the PM, and waits for his knowbots to return.

When they do, they aren't carrying much. All the info to be found is that handle "Mutual Interest" is a alias used by various representatives of Metahuman Rights Groups. Avalanche sends out all his knowbots again, but this time the snowflakes have a different mission: bring back all the info they can on the stret names Alleycat, Durin, Tin Star, Blaze, and Lady Cheng. He also gives some search parameters, such as the fact that Cheng is a ork, Durin a dwarf, etc.

Now, back to Mutual here... With the speed of throught, Avalanche
sent out his reply:

CODE
A meeting sounds good.  When you say face to face, did you mean in the flesh, or the electrons?  I prefer the Matrix myself, but given the circumstances I'd understand if you'd rather meet in the meat, so to speak.

-Ice Cube

It wasn't long before he got a reply.

CODE
Cube, let's do this man to man, meat to meet. We got a representative in S-town who's up for it. Bring your ownself plus 2 backs, max to The Big Rhino. You know it? Tell the bartender you're looking for "Mutual Interest" and he'll send you my boy's way. Scan? Tell me if you want in, and I'll set it up.

-Mutual Interest

Avalanche grimaced. Damn, hoped he would spring for the matrix. Well, you can't win 'em all.

CODE
Ok, I'm up for it.  I've heard of the place before, should be able to find it.  I'm booked late tommorow night at 1, but I'm pretty open otherwise.  Let me know the time, and I'll be there.
-Ice Cube

CODE
All right then. How's about lunch? Say 12 noon. See you there.

-Mutual Interest

Drek! What time is it? Frag, 3:00 already.... Ok, I'll wait for the knowbots to come back and pray I can get some muscle from the group to back me up. You can never be too careful...

+Quote Post
Shev
post Oct 22 2004, 05:18 AM
Post #243

Moving Target

0305 January 5, 2063 - Key to the Future

Well, aren't I the fragging moron. Avalanche shakes his head in disgust as he slots the chip that has contact info for at least some of the group members into the telecom. He gazes at the list thoughtfully. You know, I think I'll go out of the group for mundane firepower. Dice would be the best dwarf for the job here. I think I'll give him a call. Let's see, who else? With me and Dice, we'll have enough muscle for cover, I think. Best to get some magical muscle. Hope Blaze hasn't gone to sleep yet.

Avalanche dials Dice's number. A groggy voice cuts in, no visual. Naturally.

"Yeah? Y'got Dice."

"Heya chummer, it's Avalanche."

"Who?"

Avalanche sighs. There was only one way to get people to place him, and it got old. "The dwarf Albino decker. We pulled off a run together awhile back, remember?"

"Oh yeah, the one where that idiot mage almost got us all killed. Sorry, it's kinda early. Speakin of which, why the frag you callin now?"

"Rush job. Got an appointment tommorow...er...make that today at noon, and I need cover. 1k nuyen, all up front. We come under fire, I pay hazard fees. Shouldn't much hassle, just show up and look menacing. "

Dice barked a laugh. "How 'bout I just keep your hide in one piece? The menacing bit don't really work so much for us halfers, neh? Ok, ya got a deal. Just don't make a habit of callin' at this hour, scan me chummer? I'll let it go this once, but mornin's ain't my strong suit."

"They aren't mine either. Looooong nights are." Both dwarfs chuckle for a bit. "Anyways, glad to have you with me. The meet is at the Big Rhino, you know it?"

"Yeah, think so."

"Ok, meet me one block to the east at 11:30, and we'll inspect the place before we go in. Scan?"

"Loud an' clear. I'll see ya there, chum."

"Later, omae."

With a click, Avalanche ends the call, and starts dialing Blaze's number with his fingers crossed. Please be up, please be up, please be up...

+Quote Post
paul_HArkonen
post Oct 22 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #244

Moving Target

0305 January 5, 2063 - the Doss's Bedroom

A very grogy Blaze bolts upright in his bed, the weaves of magic already forming in his mind.

Realizing it's just the phone he stumbles over to it in a sleepy haze.

"What is it you stupid frag! Its 3 in the Fragging morning!"

realizing who it is on the line Blaze catches himself before continuing his tirade.

"Sorry, Just was asleep, What do you need?"

+Quote Post
Shev
post Oct 23 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #245

Moving Target

0305 January 5, 2063 - Key to the Future

Avalanche winces at the angry shouting over the telecom. Well, not every shadowrunner likes it late....

"Sorry to bother you Blaze, but I just had a meet scheduled for tommorow at noon, concerning the job and I could use some magical cover. It's at 12 noon at the Big Rhino, a bar. Think you can make it?"

+Quote Post
SentineloftheMou...
post Oct 23 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #246

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,556

1710 January 7, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Andie continues to eat his dinner; making small talk with Sara. "Well, I was looking at a place downtown for the new shop. It seems to have everything I'm looking for in the real estate listing."

Andie eats more of his noodles and considers what Sara said. "Still, I would like to contact Jeriemiah and see what his asking price is for his business if he's interested in selling his shop. It will be interesting to compare the two places and costs. Would you mind calling him for me and putting in a good word, Sara??"

+Quote Post
paul_HArkonen
post Oct 23 2004, 01:15 AM
Post #247

Moving Target

0306 January 5, 2063 - the Doss's Bedroom

Shaking his head to clear the sleep out of it Blaze responds in a somewhat calmer voice. "12 noon tomorrow, the Big Rhino. Yeah I should be able to make it. sorry about the shouting, thought it was some fragging telemarketer. I'll meet you there, oh, and do you mean astral backup, or just having someone to sling mojo at the meet?"

Man, I'm glad I realized who it was before I really lost my temper.

Big Rhino, 12 noon, tomorrow. Must remember to write that down.

"Anything else?"

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post Oct 23 2004, 07:52 AM
Post #248

Dragon

1110 January 6, 2063 - Tommy Wongs

Leaning back and letting out a low whistle, Dragon said, “Well…first the Big A, now S-K? We sure don’t take the easy ones, that for sure, huh Sybersnake .”

Looking over at Tiffany he says, “Looks like you get some serious adventure the first time out. OK, anyone have any ideas? You really think that just finishing the job will get S-K off your back? Why wouldn’t they just finish you off as another loose end?”

Closing his eyes for a moment, he adds, “I do have one idea, but it might be a bit of a long shot. I’ll wait for any other ideas before I toss this one out. All right, so what have we got?”

+Quote Post
Shev
post Oct 23 2004, 08:22 AM
Post #249

Moving Target

0308 January 5, 2063 - Key to the Future

"I was thinking a bit of both, actually. A bit of astral recon around the area ahead of time, then come in with my friend and I for the actual meet. You will be the magical support, my friend will provide mundune support, and I'm meeting with the potential contact. Sound good?"

+Quote Post
paul_HArkonen
post Oct 23 2004, 01:41 PM
Post #250

Moving Target

0308 January 5, 2063 - the Doss's Bedroom

"Sounds fine, I'll meet you outside the place at about 11:45."

with that Blaze hangs up and stumbles back to bed, grabbing a single scrap of paper and scribbling down "Big Rhino, noon, with Avalanch, check out first."

and promptly falls back to sleep just barely inside the bed.

+Quote Post

77 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:56 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.