IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

77 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Living in the Shadows: IC, your run might be over...
SentineloftheMou...
post Dec 20 2004, 11:05 PM
Post #376

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,556

1812 Monday January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

"Since you are wanting a contract am I to assume you want a permit for this heirloom as well??"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Dec 21 2004, 12:29 AM
Post #377

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,546

A shrug. "Permit, shmurmit. Go jump through whatever hoops you want." As Andie is trying to figure out if this is a yes or a no, the dwarf leans forward, far too close; and his longcoat falls open a little, slightly revealing the outline of a pair of nunchakus. "More trouble than it's worth, you scan me?"

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post Dec 21 2004, 03:32 AM
Post #378

Dragon

Member No.: 6,260

???? January 6th - Blaze's Home

An indeteriminate amount of time later, Blaze is awakened by a shrieking voice, "MASTER!!! MASTER!!!"

"A whazzafugamahappening???" Flailing wildly, anticipating attack, Blaze rolls out of bed ready to fry the first opponent he sees, and instead comes face to face with his (weeklong) watcher spirit. "Holy drek, you gave me a heart attack! Did you find her? And what is with that yelling?"

Panting (if watchers could be said to do that) the watcher replies, "Boss...I found her...I think?"

With a deathly tone in his voice, Blaze replies, "What do you mean, think?"

"Umm...well...ya see...I was looking for her like you said...and I think I found her, but I spotted a nasty looking elemental while I was there. I figured I wouldn't be able to report back to you if I got killed, so I decided I better come back here and tell you what I found."

"And where did you find her?" Again, the deadly tone.

"Umm...somewhere in the barrens."

"I know she's in the Barrens. Where in the Barrens?" The death threat in the voice suddenly seems much more of a probability than a possibility.

"Uh...I can take you there?"

0211 Saturday January 6, 2063 - coming up to the Puyallup doss

As she is climbing the steps to her doss, mind still turning over how much money she was in need of, the roar of motorcycles behind her caused Alleycat to turn sharply. "Hoi Alleycat," a ganger's voice calls over the humming of the cycles. "Whazzapuning?"

+Quote Post
banditf50
post Dec 21 2004, 08:44 AM
Post #379

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,525

1224 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

As anxious as he was to get back to Father Bremen, the possibility of their movements being tracked caused a sick feeling to rise up in Virgil's stomach. Locking eyes with Dragon for a moment Virgil shifted on the bed as he focused his sight to the astral plane and allowed his spirit to drift away from the confines of his meat-body.

Leaving the small room and it's fulasade of brillliant emotions Virgil allowed his spirit form to drift through the pale walls and out onto the astral bleakness of the shattered street in front of the safehouse. Feverishly he soared up above the tops of the dilapidated buildings and began scouring the space for any signs of the mechanical snitch.

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post Dec 21 2004, 10:45 AM
Post #380

Dragon

1224 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

As soon as Tiffany finishing speaking, and Virgil's eyes locked with Dragon's, the whole conversation with Sybersnake, the emotional surges, the confusion, the desire, the feelings...all of it was washed away by a cold, almost refreshing sense of detachment.

Watching Virgil's body slump to the floor, almost in slow motion, Dragon smoothly picked up the shotgun from where it lay near the door, and directed the two women, "Stay down, away from the windows. If you've got a gun, now's the time to pull it. Virgil's going astral to spot the drone. Tiffany, I need you to be clear. Who called you, and how does this person know we've got a drone on us? Did she say who the drone was sent by?"

While this conversation was taking place, Dragon was smoothly monitoring the radio channels, scanning for any frequencies that might contain useful information. Finally, with one hand holding the shotgun close, he used his free hand to pop the case he carried with maps on chip. Finding the one labeled Redmond Barrens, he quickly popped the chip into the slot.

Almost immediately, the interface of the mapsoft and GPS, along with the orientation system, pulled up a nice 3-D map of the Redmond Barrens in the display in his eyes. Quickly locating the safehouse address on the map, he zoomed in on their area, looking for avenues of escape and attack, trying to guess where the attackers, if any, might be, and what they could do to deal with them.

Great...as if we didn't have enough going on already. Now a surveillance drone? It just keeps getting better and better...

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Dec 21 2004, 03:44 PM
Post #381

Shooting Target

0211 Saturday January 6, 2063 - coming up to the Puyallup doss

"Hoi, yourself," calls out Alleycat in turning, the grin in her voice. Last time she'd heard motorcycles at her doss, she'd had her hands full of bags. This time, they're empty, and she spreads them wide in greeting. "Workin' for Hobbes, couple months now, you heard? Thanks muchly for the ref!"

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Dec 21 2004, 04:50 PM
Post #382

Shooting Target

1226 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

"I had a gun," snaps Sybersnake, but it's more the emotional exhaustion speaking. "I think it's somewhere in the ground outside Tommy Wong's."

Her initial fury somewhat aborted by the sudden reactions, Tiffany just shrugs -- "I can replay it for you" -- seemingly unable to take her eyes off the suddenly "unconscious" shaman; but as another part of him scans the map Dragon notes with relief that she does drop to below the level of the window to crawl toward her purse and camcorder ... and that her actions are so unthinking as to seem almost instinctual. Interesting. She's been in other urban firefights before this mess. And then, a moment of wistfulness (bordering on irritation) breaking through the professionalism: Frag, but I wish the Redmond Barrens were better mapped. How can anyone plan out decent escape tactics with this many unknowns? The immediate area's not too bad, but I remember seeing that building on the way in, and it's not only no longer standing, its ruins are sprawled over a couple of blocks. And the white cross-hatched sections are anyone's guess.

The buzzing in his head competes with the hissing of far too many pirate channels to indicate a call coming through. Dragon lets it shift to automated messaging, his mind on other things: and then recognises it's from Susan and grabs it as she's about to leave a message. Thirteen minutes, not bad. He just knows she'd be looking at him quizzically from her tone, professionalism notwithstanding: "Call back when you've got a clear line. Sunrise." And she hangs up instantly.

Susan will know to wait as long as it takes. The last word tells him there's no rush on that end: a very basic time-of-day verbal code among the family giving a quick, single-word summation of situation and urgency. For now, Dragon sets that call aside, and feels safe in doing so.

What startles all of them -- except the slumped Virgil -- is Tiffany's own voice suddenly coming clear and articulated and far too loud, until the reporter catches that last part and quickly turns down the volume on her wrist phone:
"There's at least one drone tailing your vehicle.  They've got it marked, but they won't have seen whether she's with you or not, not since she sank into the swamp.  Maybe you can take advantage of that."

Tiffany herself hasn't said one word, but her eyes -- ah, dangerous to mix emotion with business like that. Dragon hoped she'd manage to keep it under control when the moment came.

+Quote Post
SentineloftheMou...
post Dec 21 2004, 04:59 PM
Post #383

Moving Target

Andie isn't impressed by Durin's concealed threat. "You do realize the attention this little project will bring, don't you?? The more "special" we decide to make this item the more resources will be required to complete the project and since you want to keep this a secret it will mean paying people to be quiet and off the books." Andie pauses to gauge Durin's reaction.

"As for details for the weapon I will know more about that after completing the enchanting formula for the weapon and whether or not it will need any special components which may require hiring runners to retrieve said component." Andie pauses to make sure Durin understands the consequences involved with this project and what he is asking.

"I will say this though. At minimum the weapon will have to be created, an enchanting formula for the custom weapon, and at least 3 orichalcum units will be required for the enchanting process. The 3 orichalcum units will cost about $270k and probably 5k to build the custom axe. Do you know of someone who creates custom weaponry??"

Andie will pauses to gauge Durin's reaction.

"Tell you what. Let's do this for now. Let's create the axe and develop the enchanting formula which should take about a month, month and half to finish. Once this is done we'll have a better idea as to the final cost of your "heirloom" and whether you are still interested in completing the job." and spending all that money... "Sound fair??"

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Dec 21 2004, 07:07 PM
Post #384

Shooting Target

1814 Monday January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

"Of course it will attract attention in my hands!" states the dwarf. "How else is Bûrk Khazâd to gain a reputation? You can't put a price on that! 270 k¥, you said?"

"That's just for some of the orichalcum and to build the axe," Andie says hastily, suddenly realising he'd nearly been roped into naming a final price, and one far lower than he had intended at that. "I won't have a better idea of the final cost until after I've developed the formula."

"Yes, and you're going to be hiring people to get your enchantments for you," says Durin contemptuously, as if to say About what I expected of you.

It's something Andie's getting just a bit tired of. "Do you know of someone who creates custom weaponry?" he repeats through gritted teeth.

And he could have predicted the answer. "That's your job," says the dwarf patiently and more than a bit patronisingly. "The enchanter's always supposed to make the weapon."

With determined focus on how this item could make his own reputation, Andie valiantly resisted the urge to roll his eyes. Expects me to make the axe itself too, does he? Actually, I probably could do it. And working from virgin materials would make the enchantment easier. If the warehouse comes through, I could turn part of it into a forge. It's got the ventilation for it.

"Tell you what," says the mage finally, and tells the rest of his proposal, watching closely for Durin's reaction. When he finally finishes, the dwarf is silent for a while, a silence which slowly grows into a deep, floor-throbbing "Hmmmmm ....." which sets one of the crucible mixtures to bubbling. It takes Andie a couple of minutes, working with tongs and with a light thread of mana, to get it steady again.

"So basically," says Durin at last, and for once his tone approaches respect, "you're offering to make the axe and develop the enchanting formula before I commit to paying a penny."

+Quote Post
SentineloftheMou...
post Dec 21 2004, 07:34 PM
Post #385

Moving Target

Andie responds to Durin's response to his suggestion. "It's either that or be prepared to spend 3 million :nuyen: on this project. The choice is yours. What would you like to do?"

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Dec 21 2004, 07:40 PM
Post #386

Shooting Target

"1 million," immediately counters the dwarf, "with 5% down payment. And it fraggin' better well have special components."

+Quote Post
paul_HArkonen
post Dec 21 2004, 09:38 PM
Post #387

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,295

???? January 6th - Blaze's Home

Almost imediately Blaze has pulled on his long coat, and grabbed his pistol. Grabbing his phone Blaze dials Alleycat. While it's ringing Blaze looks to the spirit, "I'm going to hop on my bike in the parking lot, follow me there, and then take me to my cousin."

Alleycat, please pick up, I think I'm going to need some help here.

Sprinting down the steps Blaze listens to his phone hoping Alleycat will pick up.

+Quote Post
SentineloftheMou...
post Dec 21 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #388

Moving Target

Andie gives a counter offer. "2 million with 10% down payment."

Andie shrugs his shoulders. "You get what you pay for, Durin. Just how special do you want it."

+Quote Post
WinterRat1
post Dec 22 2004, 09:04 AM
Post #389

Dragon

0211 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Stairs of the Puyallup doss

A rough voice replies in a friendly sort of voice, "Don' be thankin' me chummer. Was Ripper that got yooze that set, na me. But 'neway, there's a party goin' down tanight, Ripper sent me ta aks ifs ya wanna com?"

A laugh. "less yu be too buzy to be hangin wit yer chums." Despite the sentence, the tone is friendly and inviting, with no hint of implied threat that could possibly have been in the words.

Before she can answer, her phone rings.

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Dec 22 2004, 03:33 PM
Post #390

Shooting Target

"Yeah," says the dwarf, shaking his head, "but how much of that money's going into the axe, and how much to you personally? If I could be sure just about all of it's going into the axe, it might make a difference."

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Dec 22 2004, 04:30 PM
Post #391

Shooting Target

An irrelevant thought about showers and telephones flashes through Alleycat's mind. The signal is the one she'd linked to the shaman's number, which means no prospect of just letting it go to message. " 'ang on," she says to the biker, and then not quietly into the microphone even though it's subvocal, "Hold yer horses! Can't ye see I talkin' wi' someone? Be wi' ye in two shakes." With that she makes the gesture of flicking the earpiece telephone to hold, but actually leaves the line open for him to hear her side of the conversation: hopefully Blaze was in a condition to wait for a few seconds and to remember just why it was she was talking with someone.

"Ain't no rest for the wicked," she concludes to the biker, a bit mournfully. Remember to identify yourself, for Blaze. "Since I started it's been Alleycat this an' Alleycat that. Not her 'neway, she decent. But I'm tryin' to find this sister who's gone awol Barrens-way for a chummer o' mine, an' he's a mite uptight 'bout findin' her, family an' all. Ye know how it is. Gotta ask around first, see if anyone scanned her." With a grin she adds, "She's a corper, so I kind of figured if she's anywhere in the area she'll stand out like a Scoot at a Terms party."

+Quote Post
SentineloftheMou...
post Dec 22 2004, 05:05 PM
Post #392

Moving Target

Interesting, Andie thinks to himself. He didn't say no to 2 million nuyen....

"Tell you what, Durin. How about 1.5 million with 10% down payment as a comprise. With the understanding that depending on the needed special components and how hard it will be to collect a sample of it that the price for the weapon will have to go up to cover those expenses."

Andie pauses for effect. "Do we have a deal?"

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Dec 22 2004, 08:28 PM
Post #393

Shooting Target

1816 Monday January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

During Andie's pause for effect, Durin has pulled out a wadded up piece of paper out of one of those deep pockets of his and has started scribbling away furiously. The writing goes on for some time, long enough that the mage is beginning to consider repeating that question, when Durin looks up. "We're still not quite there. Got the bare bones of the contract here, but I've got to flesh it out some. Got a printer?" And from another pocket he retrieves a pocket secretary and begins typing, pausing only to look up for a second: "You still haven't said how much of that won't be going straight into the weapon."

+Quote Post
paul_HArkonen
post Dec 22 2004, 09:11 PM
Post #394

Moving Target

Alleycat can hear Blaze in her ear through the phone, his vioce sounds like he's running, "Actually I think I've found her, I'm enroute to where I think she should be, I was calling you to let you know, and if she's in pullyup, and I'm not sure she is, to ask for your help. One of the lines I put out has given me a lead, and I'm following it, literally." In a softer, apologetic, vioce, " And I'm sorry if you feel I've been over the top or rude with you."

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Dec 22 2004, 09:21 PM
Post #395

Shooting Target

"Oh," adds Alleycat as she's idly fishing out the scanned photograph, not yet pulling it up, waiting for the moment when the rhythm of the conversation would let her insert it naturally, "and it's for sure a go on that party if I pull her up before it closes -- and since it's a local thing, pretty likely, huh? Only if I'm to join the party, I'll need to know where I'm off to." A very slight stress on the "for sure a go" and "where" on the subvocal levels, probably only the microphone picked it up.

+Quote Post
paul_HArkonen
post Dec 22 2004, 09:28 PM
Post #396

Moving Target

0212 Saturday January 6, 2063 - the Parking Lot.

Blaze can pick up the hint fairly easily, "I don't know yet, the contact couldn't give me a specific spot, I'll call you back as soon as I have a better idea. Sorry to interupt, and thanks for the help." Alleycat can hear the slight click of the other line turning off.

Securing his stuff Blaze slides his vision over to the astral, "There you are, alright, show me where she is. And make sure you go slowly enough that I can follow you." Gunning the engine of his bike Blaze hits it and heads out of the parking lot, following the spirit, watching it by flipping his vision back and forth between physical and astral.

+Quote Post
Shev
post Dec 23 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #397

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,949

Very late- Apartment above Key to the Future

Avalanche wearily enters in the last line of code in the agent program and sends it out. There. Maybe that'll turn up something. What the frag time is it?

+Quote Post
Shev
post Dec 23 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #398

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,949

(sorry, double posted)

+Quote Post
Sedna
post Dec 24 2004, 05:33 PM
Post #399

Shooting Target

0230 Saturday January 6, 2063

Across the sky suddenly streaks a blazing fireball, describing a huge stellar arc from east to west. Over the waters of the sound it fades so suddenly it leaves dancing afterimages in the eyes of those who have watched its passing with wonder, and amazement, and more than a little fear.

+Quote Post
banditf50
post Dec 24 2004, 05:52 PM
Post #400

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,525

1228 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

Damn, I must be losing my touch. Virgil poured over the myriad astral signatures and auras in vain, trying to grasp at the signature of an errant drone that just did not seem to be present. It would be easy and comforting to just say that no one is watching us, but I haven't felt that lucky in a long time.

Blinking back to his meat-body Virgil's head snapped to attention, a move that startled Dragon, who was vigilantly keeping his shotgun trained on the front door. Peering around the room to take in the sight of Tiffany and Sybersnake lying behind the cover of the couch and bed, Virgil realized it would be prudent for him to be as calm as possible. The sting from our last encounter is still very near.

"I wasn't able to spot anything watching us, but that doesn't eliminate the possibility. Some of those high signature balloon-like survellience drones would be virtually impossible to spot from astral space." Dragon nodded in agreement.

"I think we should be safe here for a while. I can call up some spirit support, and the relative desertion of the streets would make approaching this building very difficult if I run astral survellience."

Pausing for a second to read Dragon's face, an impossible task in itself, Virgil continued in a calm tone. "It's time to make our move, what is your assessment?"

+Quote Post

77 Pages V  « < 14 15 16 17 18 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th May 2024 - 04:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.