> sustaining a spell
midnightblack
post Jun 28 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,762

How long can a mage sustain a spell?

I currently have a mage the holds invisibility with the levitate spell, spell locked. Then he just narco-jets security guards. any sugestions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jun 28 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #2

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

How long can a mage sustain a spell?

As long as they remain awake and conscious. They will also maintain the target modifier for the duration. A Sustaining Focus can make the duration indefinite without target modifiers.

I currently have a mage the holds invisibility with the levitate spell, spell locked. Then he just narco-jets security guards. any sugestions?

Spell Locks are second edition, I will assume you mean Sustaining Focus. Yes, tons of suggestions. Are you ready?

This post has been edited by Kanada Ten: Jun 28 2004, 10:59 PM

+Quote Post
midnightblack
post Jun 28 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #3

Target

Yep hit me.

+Quote Post
Misfit Toy
post Jun 28 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,398

What kind of suggestions are you looking for?

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jun 28 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #5

Beetle Eater

1. Wards. When a ward is penetrated the creator[s] instantly know. Combined with Alarm ward, and your mage is most likely going to set off alarms quickly, without his or her knowledge.

2. Dual Natured guard animals. Far more common than one would think, automatically penetrates Invisibility. Combined with bio-monitors for the security guards and animals then the mage will paint a virtual target on himself and allow them to isolate him.

3. Totally automated security. No living creatures to affect.

4. Enemy mages, spirits, astral shallows, and so on.

5. A different type of objective, new challenges.

This post has been edited by Kanada Ten: Jun 28 2004, 11:07 PM

+Quote Post
midnightblack
post Jun 28 2004, 11:07 PM
Post #6

Target

Ways to get around his levetation/invisibility combo. He currently belives he is god's gift to runners because of the combo. I could always out mage him but I am looking for as many ways to take him down a peg as possible.

+Quote Post
Misfit Toy
post Jun 28 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,398

Ah. I didn't realize you were speaking as a GM looking to challenge such a character.

Kanada Ten hit the big ones. #5 is my personal favorite.

+Quote Post
midnightblack
post Jun 28 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #8

Target

Thanks Kanada Ten

Any other sugstions are welcome. I can't belive forgot about wards. *hangs head in shame*

+Quote Post
midnightblack
post Jun 28 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #9

Target

QUOTE (Misfit Toy)
Ah. I didn't realize you were speaking as a GM looking to challenge such a character.

Kanada Ten hit the big ones. #5 is my personal favorite.

I have been using #5, but I needed to get the point across to this character by showing him the combo was not perfect. (he would use it ANY chance he got)

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jun 28 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #10

Beetle Eater

One of the things I think is really important is understanding that Corporate Security gets paid millions of dollars to invent counter technology.

These two spells are among the top employed by Shadowrunners. Simple ways to foil them? Doors that don't have maglocks but are simply activated by laser sensors. When they detect a person enter the field, they open the door. Invisible people do not trigger these sensors, thus the door does not open. Not only that, but the door opening triggers the camera. Pressure sensors activate the lights and cameras, so the floating invisible mage must use augmentation or go blind. Monowire meshes that retract when the the lights go on could make a deadly surprise, especially when combined with spells like Astral Static and Invisibility of their own - even Watchers on patrol in those corridors will keep the mage on the physical. A few well placed wards, and the facility requires at least a decker and some muscle when the drek hits the turbine.

Personally, I really think Biomonitors are the most under used weapon against runners. Corporations must already outfit the guards with radios and armor, a small additional price per guard eliminates the need for paired guards. The entire complex can be monitored from a single point. Biomonitors actually make mundane dogs useful (they can smell invisible beings), even if left to roam.

+Quote Post
midnightblack
post Jun 28 2004, 11:48 PM
Post #11

Target

Biomonitors on mundane dogs! Now that's the kind of inventive thinking I come here for. :D

That is prefect because he won't think of the dogs as a threat untill it's too late. And if he Narco jets the dog it will have already regesterd a spike in its heart rate when it smelled him.

The monowire mesh I will save for a Knight Errant trick.

Thanks again.

Does biofiber light up if spell are active around it/

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jun 29 2004, 05:45 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

Biomonitors on mundane dogs! Now that's the kind of inventive thinking I come here for.  :D 

That is prefect because he won't think of the dogs as a threat untill it's too late. And if he Narco jets the dog it will have already regesterd a spike in its heart rate when it smelled him.

Actually the biomonitor is there to detect him getting knocked out! He might have just gotten a "spike" from smelling another dogs ass, which security will surely be uninterested in. When he gets knocked the fuck out they send a team.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jun 29 2004, 02:37 PM
Post #13

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

Would you also need a tracking signal so you know where the dog is knocked out or does the biomonitor provide that as well?

+Quote Post
littlesean
post Jun 29 2004, 03:19 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,359

Adding a location transponder to a biomonitor should be child's play. And since the dog is in a known compound, you could even use multiple antenna mounts to simply triangulate the biomonitor signal without even modifying it.

And while Kanada Ten hit the most obvious, here are some other counters to invisible flying mages:
(Continuing KT's numbers)
6. Ground Surveillance Radar, able to pick up things within 10 meters of the ground.
7. Ultrasound monitors, tied to current sonic map that will note changes and alert security, unless an appropriate biomonitor accompanies said disturbance.
8. (if it is inside) Air current doppler monitors, much like scaled down more sensitive weather radars today. You can't move through the air without disturbing it. Air flow dynamics can plotted and large enough variations can set off warnings that can then be assessed and turned into alarms if need be.
9. RF absorption. There are experimental systems today that look for the 'holes' in the cell phone radiation to see where something is blocking it or absorbing it. Designed to track stealth bombers, similar methodology could be brought into your game. The human body does absorb RF. If you doubt it, put yourself into a microwave oven.

Any how, there are some ideas, and yes some of them would involve cutting edge technologies, so maybe the group has to bypass and then steal some of this.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Jun 29 2004, 05:09 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Yes, you can spite the mage with the cutting edge, but it's always more fun to shatter him with something disturbingly mild (or just unexpected).

Guards with ultrasound vision can spot him (reasonably well) and fill the area with lead. It's not a very costly cyberware compared to some that are useful for guards, and a squad of 5 has a pretty good chance of at least scaring him while maybe getting a hit or two.

Have a job against ghouls. Invis does exactly drek against astral perception, they don't have the +2 penalty, and they can use their terrain to get to him in whatever way they want.

Attempt to steal something, but have the place pre-trashed as they arrive. A Wednigo on the loose.

The other options listed do also work, plenty of options that will scare the other PCs and make that floating invisible mage completely impotent.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jun 29 2004, 09:51 PM
Post #16

Beetle Eater

6. Ground Surveillance Radar, able to pick up things within 10 meters of the ground.

Technically, Radar uses light and thus is a form of sight, as is RF (radio frequency). So both 6 and 9 are covered by invisibility. However, number eight, doppler radar, is very good and works well with MAD (magnetic anomaly).

Would you also need a tracking signal so you know where the dog is knocked out or does the biomonitor provide that as well?

Since the biomonitor will be broadcasting the data to a central location, it can act as a tracking signal as well. As can all the radios on the guards even without biomonitors.

Does biofiber light up if spell are active around it?

I don't think so, not unless an active focus passes through it anyway. But the air will be displaced by an invisible form moving through it, meaning biofiber would still show a form passing through it provided the fiber was lit by UV.

I suppose we should mention the counter to biomonitors, just to prevent player tears. If the team discovers or breaks the Encryption code, they can duplicate the biomonitors, monitor the security forces, feed false information to security central, and so on. To make penetration more difficult, the GM can use "One-Time Pads," thus forcing the team to infiltrate another layer of security first. And the battle continues.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Jun 30 2004, 12:17 AM
Post #17

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

Technically, Radar uses light and thus is a form of sight, as is RF (radio frequency). So both 6 and 9 are covered by invisibility. However, number eight, doppler radar, is very good and works well with MAD (magnetic anomaly).

Well, technically thermosense and the like detect IR radiation, which is another form of light and thus sight, but Invisibility does not block IR radiation, so I presume it doesn't block radio frequencies either.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jun 30 2004, 12:31 AM
Post #18

Beetle Eater

Well, technically thermosense and the like detect IR radiation, which is another form of light and thus sight, but Invisibility does not block IR radiation, so I presume it doesn't block radio frequencies either.

Thermosense detects a rise in air tempature due to the radiation, not the actual radiation (which is still there but not directly seen).

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Jun 30 2004, 01:58 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)

Invisibility, per the spell description, doesn't defeat "sight", however. It defeats "normal vision". In a world with dwarves and trolls, I'm willing to accept that "normal vision" includes IR, and even low-end UV (some insects can see into the UV), but I'm more than a bit dubious about the theory that it includes radar.

+Quote Post
Clyde
post Jun 30 2004, 02:16 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

Change the environment. Put him in a place where you need to crawl or that has low ceilings and narrow hallways. Even guards that can't see him have a chance with blindfire.

Another option is to put him up against another invisibility user, but make certain that astral is NOT an option by filling the area with background count or living beings (in a jungle, or a greenhouse packed full like a jungle). He'll probably think he's at an advantage at first, because he'll know that astral perception won't work against him.

Guards with implanted/datajack linked biomonitors can have autoinjectors that either give an antidote to narcojet or a stimpatch. The total cost (datajack and reusable autoinjector) should be under 2000 nuyen. They'll go down and get right back up again. Don't explain what the datajacks are for, make him find out the hard way :grinbig:
(I love solutions that use a tiny amount of technology and yet totally frag the runners' day). Need an excuse: issue the guards a bunch of narcojet weapons. Now they don't have to worry about friendly fire!

Guards who go down could always trigger a flashpak or even a non-cyber version of the Super Flash cyber eye system automatically, along with a loud personal siren. It's a cheap way to call for help and put your attacker off balance.

Tear gas.

That Fiber Optic System that lets mages cast spells from inide a remote area. Does it allow them to use astral perception through the link? Well, a one way mirror (made of ballistic glass) will do just as well. Then see above.

All pretty low tech, low cost and essence friendly. Go ahead and throw 'em out there like candy whenever you feel like this character is doing a little too well.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jun 30 2004, 05:33 AM
Post #21

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

And then there's the classic Watcher Attack pack strategy. Someone with active spells is going to be lit up on the astral. The watchers notice him, and call in a bigger spirit to attack his activated foci. Now, win or lose, the mage will know that a spirit is monkeying with his foci, so he'll probably go astral to see what's up. When that happens, the watchers gang-bang him. 1 Force-4 Spirit plus 6 force-2 watchers plus Friends in Melee = Big owchie.

He can escape the watcher damage quite easily, by going pure physical and shutting off his foci. The spirit now has to materialize in order to hurt him, and that means everyone else can deal with it as well.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jun 30 2004, 09:38 AM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

assuming, of course, that he survives that first round of astral attacks.

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jun 30 2004, 10:04 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

Dual natured paracritters are also nice. Barghests, Hell Hounds, Cocatrices, and others are common watch paracritters. Heck, I remember the old Corp Sec Handbook also recommending Geese as normal watch critters. The most mundane magical security (pun intended) should also have a field day with this guys, just using spirits as already mentioned. Nature Spirits would also take him down, plus be a tad more effective in dealing with the entire group.

I can also see a lot of guards jumping to a wrong conclusion in that they might think there's an astral intruder rather than a physical one. He'd displace like an astral intruder, which might make his life a bit harder. And getting caught in a netgun might really ruin his day.

Paracritters that aren't dual natured might also pick him up, using smell.

Don

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Jun 30 2004, 01:27 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

While it's tempting to go for dual-natured or magical security, I suggest a cheaper alternative.

1) Invisible people have to open doors too.
2) After hours, cameras will record all use of doors unless security is bypassed first.
3) Back in the security office, they will see the effects of mister invisible.

Easy, inexpensive, mundane ways to detect invisible intruders:
First, for the normal (mana) invisibility:
1) Sensors and remote viewers will see him just fine.
2) Scanway ™ floroscopic security arches. - like that security station in Total Recall.

For Improved (physical) invisibility:
1) Deep shag carpeting.
2) Beaded curtains
3) Ultrasound motion detectors
4) Big dogs.

Give mobile security troops a HUD letting them know where intruders are.

+Quote Post
Clyde
post Jun 30 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

Deep shag carpeting. Beaded curtains. . . . What's next? Bell bottomed uniforms? I can just picture this place :grinbig:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:27 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.