Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Small Unit Tactics, An Active or Knowledge Skill
The Question Man
post Jun 30 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,722

Hoi Chummers, I was skimming various web sights and game books and noticed that the skill "SMALL UNIT TACTICS" is listed as BOTH an Active Skill or a Knowledge Skill.

So which is it???

QM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Misfit Toy
post Jun 30 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,398

Man & Machine and Cannon Companion both changed it to an Active Skill since it now grants tangible benefits in combat. If you're not using those rules, it should remain a flavorful Knowledge Skill as per the SR3 rules.

+Quote Post
Diesel
post Jul 1 2004, 12:55 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,955

Books aside, I'd make it active. Knowing how to execute a play in football is very different from being able to, the difference between KNO: Sports / Football and BOD: Athletics / Football.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jul 1 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

You could easily make it Knowledge for the simple fact that military theory, strategy and tactical assessment is very much a knowledge skill.

Now granted, I'd never allow the silly cheese bonus SMUT currently offers as a Knowledge skill (or at all), but that's just me.

-Siege

Edit: For typos

+Quote Post
Cursedsoul
post Jul 1 2004, 01:03 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,689

You could treat it as a complimentary skill. Active skill will allow you actually get the bonuses, but the knowledge skill can help you do it better because you'd have a better pool of knowledge from which to draw from.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jul 1 2004, 04:05 AM
Post #6

Dragon

Ya know, I just can't accept that.

It sets a dangerous precedent for things like: Handgun (Active) + Combat Shooting (Knowledge).

-Siege

+Quote Post
Zephania
post Jul 1 2004, 04:38 AM
Post #7

I am not here...

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,349

Didn't earlier editions have it as an active skill as part of leadership or somthing similar?

+Quote Post
Misfit Toy
post Jul 1 2004, 04:42 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

I have no idea if it did or not, but I've eliminated the Active Skill version of it in my games and replaced it with the actual Leadership skill. SUT (as a Knowledge Skill) then acts as a Complimentary Skill for that, or for Knowledge Skill tests to try and figure out strategies employed by enemy forces and the like.

At least it gives players a reason to take Leadership beyond the "because it fits the character even though its a waste of Active Skill points" aspect.

+Quote Post
Zephania
post Jul 1 2004, 04:49 AM
Post #9

I am not here...

Yeah, I've a problem with most players only taking ettiqette out of the social skill lists and then pretending to be a drek hot ex millitary whatever.

Any one who's ex millitary should have leadership.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jul 1 2004, 04:52 AM
Post #10

Dragon

QUOTE (Zephania)
Yeah, I've a problem with most players only taking ettiqette out of the social skill lists and then pretending to be a drek hot ex millitary whatever.

Any one who's ex millitary should have leadership.

Well, if they completed OCS or hit any appreciable position of Command responsibility. However, any grunt will happily tell you stories of the officer who couldn't lead rats off a sinking ship.

Just cause a grunt can handle a rifle doesn't mean he is prepared or capable to Lead.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Zephania
post Jul 1 2004, 04:56 AM
Post #11

I am not here...

Yeah but any army worth its salt puts a lot of emphasis on leadership training for all its soldiers.

That way the guys who actually get into the firefights don't fall apart, they use their initiative and close with and kill the enemy.

Non commisioned officers run Armies and fight the war on the ground (small unit tactics). Officers say take that village, Grunts do the work.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jul 1 2004, 05:02 AM
Post #12

Dragon

Sargeants, Lts, even Corporals. But the rank and file enlisted, while they may understand tactics and battle strategy, may not have the skills necessary to motivate and lead.

I'll grant that every soldier who ever issues a command _should_ have Leadership, but in the great character sheet of life, not every rank-and-file enlisted is capable of leading (whether for lack of training or personal ability).

However, every rank and file infantryman can and will pass a test to determine his (or her) skill with more easily measured abilities, like marksmanship and driving.

-Siege

+Quote Post
grendel
post Jul 1 2004, 05:08 AM
Post #13

Prime Runner

Member No.: 284

As others have suggested, Small Unit Tactics is both an active and a knowledge skill. If a player expects to reap the combat benefits from utilizing the skill, though, then the character needs to have the active skill.

I would say that most armed forces do not place a premium on formalized leadership training. Most of the focus is placed on an individual soldier's/sailor's MOS skills, followed by general military training, and lastly by leadership training. Most of the military is very skeptical about the value of any leadership training done in a classroom, and view the skill as something which must be learned hands-on. This is a result of the high visibility failures of several leadership models implemented by the U.S. military in an attempt to improve the perceived skill level of its officers.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jul 1 2004, 05:13 AM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

It's an active skill if you play by the (completely ridiculous) rules for it in the CC. Otherwise, it's a knowledge skill, as it can and should really only provide information, at which point it is up to the player to analyze and make use of it. But, as it has been noted in other debates, knowledge skills have nothing to do with knowledge per se; they would be far more accurately termed secondary or character skills, as their core intent is to flesh out a character. In similar sense, Leadership would far more sensibly be a knowledge or secondary skill, as it's poitively useless as an active skill.

+Quote Post
Clank
post Jul 1 2004, 07:52 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 6,366

Considering that it's listed as both, just so people don't get confused, I would refer to the Knowledge skill as a Background skill.

+Quote Post
Zephania
post Jul 1 2004, 09:31 AM
Post #16

I am not here...

The ability to lead is precisley what sets corporals and sergeants apart from other soldiers. To lead you must have the respect of the men you command, constant training unearths these natural leaders who instinctivly understand how to motivate people. Classroom training comes later after motivation and inspiration amongst their peers have been proved often in adverse conditions.

Oh and by the way, leadership training for soldiers starts day one week one of basic training.

I think that small unit tactics should be a knowledge skill as it is an awful lot of theory wwhereas leadership is definatley an active skill as no amount of book learning can prepare you for an unmotivated individual with an attitude problem.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jul 1 2004, 10:12 AM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Zephania, the difference between an active and knowledge skill has nothing to do with real life application. Cooking is most definitely not a pure knowledge skill, and yet it would be one in game— not because cooking is somehow easier to learn or practice or internalize to an expert degree than handling a rifle, but solely because active skills are skills which relate directly to the game while knowledge skills are secondary that primarily flesh out the character. In that vein, leadership has no tangible, mechanical benefit within SR from the player's point of view and is almost always purely a roleplaying issue. It should, therefore, be a knowledge skill, and this has nothing to do with the (undeniable) significance of leadership on or off the battlefield.

Likewise, unless you play with the flatly insane bonuses that the Cannon Companion's Small Unit Tactics skill gives, Small Unit Tactics would also be a knowledge skill.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jul 1 2004, 10:58 AM
Post #18

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Non-commissioned officers and commissioned officers should have leadership BUT in an conscript army, junior officers are usually just better educated conscripts who perhaps were chosen simply because they had better people skills (Etiquette, Negotiations, etc or even a high Cha).

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 1 2004, 12:26 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the army, at least, incorporates leadership skills in most of its training activities. lower-ranking enlisted are called upon to take charge of everything from classes to morning PT, under the supervision and instruction of a senior enlisted NCO.

that doesn't, however, mean that everyone who comes through the army should have points in SR's Leadership skill. any teacher can tell you that, no matter how hard you try, you can't force someone to learn something--not even in the army. classes and the like are merely opportunities, that must be taken advantage of if you want to gain any benefit from them. most soldiers, honestly, give the opportunities for learning leadership skills a pass--even those who go on to be NCOs. it is my opinion that, in SR terms, most junior NCOs and officers (e-4 through e-6, and 0-1 through 0-2 or 3) are defaulting on their Leadership skills. they negotiate, they intimidate, they might even instruct, but that's not leading. (i'm not faulting them for it--in real life, learning to lead isn't a simple matter of plunking down X karma and annotating your sheet.)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jul 1 2004, 02:22 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (toturi)
Non-commissioned officers and commissioned officers should have leadership BUT in an conscript army, junior officers are usually just better educated conscripts who perhaps were chosen simply because they had better people skills (Etiquette, Negotiations, etc or even a high Cha).

Depends heavily on the army in question. I happen to know one where (wartime) junior NCOs and commissioned officers are -- in addition to having better people skills, being better educated and more charismatic -- on average also in a better physical condition, quicker learners, can think more clearly in combat and show capability to lead. Officers more so than NCOs, of course.

There was very little leadership training for us privates, but NCOs and officers certainly got a lot of it. I guess many NCOs might not have had Leadership/Military 1/2 by the end of it, but I'm sure the officers did. As in the US Army, like mfb said, conscript NCOs and COs took charge of almost all training, and they were not even supervised by anyone else than other conscripts except for the more important stuff. There were plenty of week-long excercises without any direct supervision by, or even regular communication with, any higher ranking or enlisted officers.

I'm happy with Small Unit Tactics being an Active skill and providing in-game bonuses (especially to Combat Pool). You can be capable of devising great tactics outside of a situation and yet lack any understanding of the situation let alone capability to think ahead and plan once in the situation. I might have the Military Tactics Knowledge Skill at 1, but I sure as hell lack the Small Unit Tactics active skill.

Personally, as I have said before in several threads about soldier stats, I feel that the one skill the presence and rating of which differentiates between well-trained and functioning soldiers and the other kind is Small Unit Tactics. All soldiers, starting from the very lowest ranks, got shitloads of training for that -- we trained tactics, movement, utilizing cover far more than we ever trained firing our weapons. In terms of training hours, SUT would be second only to Athletics.

I've just got Inaptitude: SUT and stopped trying at some point...

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jul 1 2004, 04:44 PM
Post #21

Dragon

The idea of offering a benefit during a firefight, being measured in seconds is just absurd.

On a larger scale, yes - it can offer some benefit. And offering a blanket CP bonus is perhaps the best way to reflect that.

But most shadowrunners aren't fighting as a coordinated unit - however, the sec guards do.

Should we start outfitting sec guard field commanders with dedicated chipjacks for Leadership and SMUT?

-Siege

+Quote Post
Madda_Gaska
post Jul 1 2004, 05:03 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 4,238

Should we start outfitting sec guard field commanders with dedicated chipjacks for Leadership and SMUT?

Rather than the Smutty BTLs they're currently chipping?

I would've expected the heavy support (as in the stuff that the guards on site would call when they realised there was a troll currently ambling towards one of the facility entrances with an automatic weapon and the body (sans head) of their buddy) would have leaders equipped with that sort of stuff (or even trained in it) though.
Well, as long as it was a moderately large security company. If it was an ex-runner sec-company then all bets are off.

+Quote Post
Misfit Toy
post Jul 1 2004, 05:05 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

If they're a group of security guards who've trained to work together on a regular basis, they certainly should have Small Unit Tactics. Though few would or do except maybe at high security sites. Few runner groups have the skills, too. While available, the annoyance of the system and skill investments are usually not worth the benefit.

But if you have the concept, the skills, and the implants, you might as well take advantage of it. It's obvious the skill is supposed to represent how well small teams like SWAT and SEAL teams work together. It's not your everyday "grunt, do this and that" skill which anyone can do, but won't net you any benefit.

Gaining one or two extra Combat Pool can be nice, but its hardly a game breaker. Same goes with an equal Initiative bonus.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jul 1 2004, 05:09 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

As loathe as I am to do it, I'm going to use computer FPS games as an example here. Especially when playing multiplayer FPS games, you can make a large number of important decisions on a nearly subconscious level in the span of a 5-second firefight. Do I dash right or left? Should I keep moving or get a better position here?

And all the time you're thinking about things like whether you should have cover on your right flank or your left flank, depending on where there's going to be more enemies. You pick the exact right moment to move or to fire, depending on where the enemy is paying attention, etc. All these add up to a tactical advantage once the shooting does begin. All those little things, the ones perhaps not significant enough to be mentioned IC by themselves, are best represented in SR by a Combat Pool bonus.

I partly agree, however, that 3 seconds might be too short a time span to make a "new set of tactical decisions" or whatever a new SUT roll should be described as. Instead, you could allow a no-action SUT roll when combat begins for everyone expecting it, but requiring some action (Simple or Complex) for everyone else or when someone wants to re-roll it. The bonus from such a roll would remain until the combat ends or there is a significant change in the action -- as determined by the GM.

[Edit]The above mostly describes the use of SUT to gain bonuses for yourself, not for your team. I feel that in this way it would be extremely useful even for someone in a team they are not used to or even when in combat alone. "Small Unit Tactics" is still an appropriate name for it, IMNSHO, because you always struggle to be aware of what the whole enemy team and your whole team is doing.

You can do this even when fighting with strangers -- using Small Unit Tactics with people you have trained/fought with extensively might confer a TN bonus. Or the other way around, forcing a TN penalty when you know nothing about the friendlies.[/Edit]

I'm not that sure about the usefulness of the Leadership skill in a basic Shadowrun combat, though. That is certainly a skill that really comes into play in longer engagements, especially in keeping up unit morale. That's rarely an issue in Shadowrun, where secguards tend to die before they get a chance to panic.

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Jul 1 2004, 05:17 PM

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jul 1 2004, 05:38 PM
Post #25

Dragon

I find it difficult to believe that someone yammering in your ear can offer you any tangible benefit during the course of 3-5 seconds.

After a certain point, it comes down to personal skill and all the SUT won't help you move faster, shoot better or make individual assessments over the course of 3-5 seconds.

-Siege

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:59 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.