Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [Dragons6thW] Drake questions...
elph
post Jul 2 2004, 03:35 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,448

I understand a number of the differences in meta/draco forms in abilities. What I'm most curious about it cost. Sometimes the books leave too much to figure on your own.

I know Drakes cost 25 points for race as a PC. Considering that... is that +25 points against the metahuman form you chose? Or do you pay your 25 and get to pick any of the races listed in any of the books (Aside from ghoul, shapeshifter, & otaku, none of those are able to be drakes I'm assuming.) Can you pick a metavarient as well for the low low price of 25 points? If you're doing the alternate point cost for the races then that metavarient troll / drake just got pretty cheap.

Do they have to buy a magic form seperatly? So to be a full mage / drake would cost you 55 points (25 Drake + 30 Full Mage)? Or are they some form of mage on their own costs? No matter what... can they always Astral percieve / project or only if magically active? Would a Drake even be worth it without being a mage as well?

Can a drake that knows Kun Fu (or any unarmed combat) use it and it's manuvers in draco form as well as meta? Can a drake use handheld weapons such as edged weapons, guns (any type), etc... while in draco form if it's been racialy modified by cost?

Those are all the ones I can think of so far. I'll keep this thread running if I come up with anymore. Thanks for any input.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 2 2004, 03:42 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the cost of being a drake is in addition to any race or magic you purchase. by the rules, nothing stops you from being a drake otaku, ghoul, or even shapeshifter, though most gms will probably nix you (especially on the last one).

as for kung fu and such, not sure. i'd be tempted to allow them to use Rea as their unarmed skill, just like critters do.

+Quote Post
elph
post Jul 2 2004, 04:09 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 6,448

I was confused over the point cost to be a drake because of Dot6W says it's 25 points (nothing about in addition to. I don't know if it was error or not) & it also lists it as Priority B in the Priority system and nothing for any other race is mentioned. I'm thinking it's just 25 points and you get any of the base races (no varients) for free and then if you want to be a varient you have to pay the varient cost difference.

Reasons I don't think they can be ghoul, otaku, or shapeshifters...
Otaku are a recent event in the scheme of things. I also don't think they can process things the same way. They are critters after all that can take a metahuman form and not a metahuman that can take a draco form. Dragon's can't use the matrix either.

Shapeshifters are too much like drakes already. Shapeshifters are animals that can take human form much like a drake. I don't see a drake being something that can turn into an animal that can turn into a metahuman or any mixture there of.

Ghoul is the only one I can't seem to logically come up with any reason can't exsist. I'm sure any creature (metahuman or critter) can get the Kreiger virus. I just don't think it would be something that would happen though. I think the drake's body would fight it off too well.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 2 2004, 04:56 AM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

*shrug* i'm just talking about what the rules say.

+Quote Post
Firyoshin
post Aug 30 2004, 01:52 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,615

As for martial arts in both forms, sounds like it could work. As for The 3 exceptions, they should be allowed but only under Point System rules, Priorities wouldnt work (meaning u need 2 letters for Race), but Drakes are simply people who had been drakes in their bloddline (no matter how far back) meaning that an Otaku could have had a great-great-great-great uncle that was a drake so he could be one. Same with ghouls and shapeshifters(?) I would assume.

+Quote Post
Pistons
post Aug 30 2004, 01:52 PM
Post #6

Not Cameron Diaz

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 188

Could, except being a ghoul is virus-related and being a drake or shapeshifter is heavily magic-related whereas otaku are not (in terms of game mechanics, that is).

+Quote Post
Canid13
post Sep 28 2004, 11:01 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,709

I would say that drake and shapeshifter is nutually exclusive since one is an animal and one isn't. Dragons of the Sixth World specifically states that bred drakes are metahumans who can change into a dracoform and not the other way around like a shapeshifter. So I would never allow that - you can't be born a wolf and a troll in one lifetime :o)

As for otaku and ghoul, I would allow those personally since one is a genetic/magical effect on the person (which I don't see as having to preclude getting genetic traits for being a drake from your ancestors) and a ghoul, well nothing says a drake can't catch a disease.

I am curious about the metaform though. And also whether powers work all the time, and if the drake can learn magical skills and how to weild mana as it kinda implies in Dragons of the Sixth World.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Sep 29 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

i like that answer, canid--drakes can't be shifters because drakes are metahumans and shifters are not. nice.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 1 2004, 04:36 AM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Is it actually stated anywhere in Canon that Drakes can be of any metahuman race? Are there any examples of Drakes of any race other than human?

+Quote Post
Canid13
post Oct 1 2004, 09:27 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Mfb, it's what Dragons says about them. A shapeshifter is an animal which can change into a metahuman, whereas a Drake is a metahuman that can change into a dracoform. Seems pretty cut and dried to me :o) It's all about what came first, the tiger/eagle/seal or the metahuman :o)

Fortune. Dragons of the Sixth World says that Drakes can be any metahuman race. I've not seen one in a published adventure, but that doesn't mean there never will be one.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 2 2004, 03:18 AM
Post #11

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Canid13)
Mfb, it's what Dragons says about them. A shapeshifter is an animal which can change into a metahuman, whereas a Drake is a metahuman that can change into a dracoform. Seems pretty cut and dried to me :o) It's all about what came first, the tiger/eagle/seal or the metahuman

He wasn't arguing with you. He was agreeing with you...and probably staggered that there was one instance where the rules didn't actually contradict themselves in Shadowrun.

Dragons of the Sixth World says that Drakes can be any metahuman race. I've not seen one in a published adventure, but that doesn't mean there never will be one.

That's cool. I haven't yet read the actual write-up on Drakes in DotSW, so I wanted a specific answer one way or the other. I know that previously-unpublished does not equate to not-possible, but one could reason that the Elves prior associations with Dragons, both good and bad, would lead to at least one prominent Elven Drake.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Oct 2 2004, 03:21 AM
Post #12

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

There is one Canon example of an Elven Drake that I know of.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 2 2004, 08:21 AM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 2 2004, 10:40 AM
Post #14

Immoral Elf

Yeah, don't leave us in suspense! Details lad, details...

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Oct 2 2004, 11:41 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Survival of the Fittest, yeah. There was one.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 3 2004, 01:09 AM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

oh, right. part of that wildly-outgunned hunting party.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 3 2004, 04:04 AM
Post #17

Immoral Elf

Uh huh! Further detail wouldn't kill ya, you know. :P

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 3 2004, 07:17 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

it was an elven drake and a pack of intelligent critters--a centaur, as i recall, and a few others. y'all know how long critters last against runners, right?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 3 2004, 07:54 AM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

That sucks! I'd prefer to keep Drakes purely within the realms of humans, as they were the original base stock (correct me if I'm wrong here).

This would also eliminate all the other questions about multiple-raced characters, putting Drakes on a par with other character options like Otaku, Shapeshifters, etc.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Oct 3 2004, 02:03 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

<insert_shrug> Aardeala was a human/drake hybrid, but drakes themselves could take a number of metahuman forms. Even assuming they didn't spread themselves around much while the mana level was high enough for metahumans to manifest, once the downcycle hit and everybody was human or gone, everybody was fair game.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 3 2004, 02:08 PM
Post #21

Immoral Elf

I don't know about that. Just like the genes for elves or dwarves may have come down through specific bloodlines, so too might the Drake gene. There's no reason to assume that the downcycle affected things in that manner.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Oct 3 2004, 02:15 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

No reason to assume they didn't, either. 's all just speculation.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 3 2004, 02:44 PM
Post #23

Immoral Elf

Yeah I know. I'd just like to see it, so I can stack things in my favor if I want to. :P ;)

+Quote Post
Canid13
post Oct 4 2004, 12:27 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

I can't remember which book it was, but it was talking about quaternary genetic structures which are normal ones until mana levels rise at which point they activate. That's how the genes passed down the bloodlines. Afterall, we do have bred drakes (drake-ness passed down from the forth world) and true drakes (newly created drakes).

Was that drake in SotF an elf? Damn, shame that - guess my party will eat them all alive then :o)

+Quote Post
mfb
post Oct 4 2004, 07:08 PM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

that was SOTA:63, where it talks about astral shadows and stuff.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:46 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.