Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cyberpunk, Encyclopedia Style...
Misfit Toy
post Jul 3 2004, 02:29 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,398

Hmm. I was doing some idle surfing and stumbled upon a definition of "Cyberpunk" according to the WordIQ website. I was actually surprised that there was a reference to Shadowrun in it, and when I actually read it, I was doubly surprised. Here's the relevant quotation...

At least two role-playing games called Cyberpunk exist: Cyberpunk 2020, by R. Talsorian Games, and GURPS Cyberpunk, published by Steve Jackson Games as a module of the GURPS family of role-playing games. Cyberpunk 2020 was designed with the settings of William Gibson's writings in mind, and to some extent with his approval, unlike the perhaps more underhanded approach taken by FASA in producing the Shadowrun game (see below).

And here's the part it referenced.

Role-playing games have also produced one of the more unique takes on the genre in the form of the game series Shadowrun in 1989. Here, the setting is still that of the dystopic near future presented in other cyberpunk works, however it also incorporates heavy elements of fantasy literature and games, such as magic, spirits, elves, and dragons. Shadowrun's cyberpunk facets were modeled in large part on the writings of William Gibson, and the game's publishers, FASA Corporation, have been accused by many as having directly ripped off Gibson's work without even a statement of influence. Gibson, meanwhile, has been reported to be less than impressed with the inclusion of elements of high fantasy within clearly derivative setting elements and storytelling techniques that he had pioneered. Nevertheless, Shadowrun has introduced many to the genre of cyberpunk, and still remains popular among gamers.

Now, has Gibson's constant whining about how FASA stole "his" ideas really reached the point where it's being added to online encyclopedias? Am I the only one who finds that incredibly sad, not only because his whining about it has reached that level, but because online encyclopedias go around slandering (defunct) gaming companies?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Beast of Revolut...
post Jul 3 2004, 02:37 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,140

A lot of the terms used in Shadowrun are indeed direct ripoffs of Gibson. SINs, for instance, have the same name in Gibons book Count Zero.

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Jul 3 2004, 02:46 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

Also, "street samurai" and "razorboys/girls" were used as terms in Neuromancer.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jul 3 2004, 03:10 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

1. It's only slander if it's spoken. In print, it's libel.
2. It's only libel if it's not true.

+Quote Post
Misfit Toy
post Jul 3 2004, 03:10 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,398

missing the point, phrase. see the first two responses.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jul 3 2004, 03:18 AM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

Their wording could certainly use some work, reguardless of facts.

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Jul 3 2004, 03:29 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 5,676

Actually, I think slander is still the verb used if it's printed.

+Quote Post
BGMFH
post Jul 3 2004, 06:03 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,018

Correct, you do not "libel" someone, you commit an act of Libel against them. It is a noun, not a verb. Thank you. Back to something that matters now. Flame War is Over, nothing to see.

+Quote Post
Plastic Rat
post Jul 3 2004, 06:12 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 2,665

Pity Tolkien isn't around to bitch about having his ideas BLATANTLY ripped off and tossed in with Cyberpunk. We'd have a grand old yelling match then.

Seriously, IMHO Shadowrun is IT's OWN genre. It has a heavy Mayan influence that I don't think anyone else has touched on yet. Also, yes, I think the wording could definitely use some adjustment, specially since I doubt the writer knows too much about the origins of Shadowrun and it's basic premise.

People tend to see the Fantasy/Punk mix and get blinded by that. I know I did when I first saw SR too.

+Quote Post
MozartSmozart
post Jul 3 2004, 06:18 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 4,797

What are you implying by putting "his" in quotation marks? William Gibson did INVENT the Cyberpunk genre, and Shadowrun has many very clear and obvious names and ideas taken from his works. And it's not like Gibson is out there actively deriding Shadowrun at every turn either. However, he has a right to his opinion, especially when the game is as heavily based on his works as it is.

And I agree with Arethusa, it's only slander/libel if it isn't true. If it is true, it's called reporting.

+Quote Post
otomik
post Jul 3 2004, 06:27 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 752

people gibson stole from:
thomas pynchon
raymond chandler

people FASA stole from other than gibson/tolkien
Robocop people (Cobra Assault Cannon, privately owned police, cyberzombies)
Charles De Lint's novel "Svaha" (japanese imperialism in cali, native american nations)

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jul 3 2004, 07:14 AM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (MozartSmozart)
What are you implying by putting "his" in quotation marks? William Gibson did INVENT the Cyberpunk genre, and Shadowrun has many very clear and obvious names and ideas taken from his works.

Because Gibson, obviously, had no influences - literary or otherwise - that helped shape his stories into what they are. Invent? Hardly. Produce some of the most influential works for? Absolutely.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 3 2004, 07:17 AM
Post #13

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

Robocop people (Cobra Assault Cannon, privately owned police, cyberzombies)
Bold mine

Nitpcik, Robocop was NOT a cyberzombie as it's presented in SR, he just has very, very low essence. Incidentally I read the book Robocop and it went into more detail about what they did to him.

(For the curious, that wasn't really his jaw, it was there to make him look more human, and to be a tribute to the human that was inside. The jaw was armored to all hell, he could get shot in the face and still be fine.)

+Quote Post
MozartSmozart
post Jul 3 2004, 08:22 AM
Post #14

Target

I didn't say that William Gibson had no influences, or even that Shadowrun shouldn't have used what it did. I'm merely pointing out that Gibsons work DID influence Shadowrun, and I know it wasn't the sole influence, but it was rather large one.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Jul 3 2004, 10:45 AM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 185

Actually what you said was:
QUOTE (Mozartsmozart)
(...)William Gibson did INVENT the Cyberpunk genre(...)

Which isn't entirely true. The writings and shorts by Philip K. Dick, Bruce Bethke and Bruce Sterling all predate Gibson's Neuromancer, though that (and the Mirrorshades anthology) is often considered the seminal work in the genre. In fact the term "Cyberpunk" was coined by Bethke and not Gibson, so you could argue that was the biggest rip-off came from there. Which is also nonsense because the extrapolating and fusing emerging elements of mainstream culture is what cyberpunk was all about and Gibson does it just like everyone else.

For the record Gibson only ever spoke of Shadowrun twice to my recollection and in both cases it was in response to specific questions. What he was pissed at was the introduction of "pure" fantasy elements (Tolkien-style) which he believed were out of place in the genre and not in keeping with cyberpunk's hard sci-fi roots. Since the fusion of those elements with traditional cyberpunk is one of the main things drawing us fans to Shadowrun, IMHO it pretty much makes Mr. Gibson's perspective irrelevant.

+Quote Post
Domino
post Jul 3 2004, 10:57 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,800

grumble grumble grumble

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Jul 3 2004, 12:31 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

I just don't like Gibson's writing style. It always seemed to me like "This happened. Three sentences about how it happened. New paragraph, this happened. Three more sentences about how that happened." I forced myself through Neuromancer, but I doubt I'll read anything else he's written.

You know, it's sad that cyberpunk for the most part is dead in fiction when the real world is getting so close to it. We're advancing in leaps and bounds with cybernetic implants and the questions the genre brought up are becoming more and more relevent (humanity vs. machine, etc), governments are using technology and twisting laws to become more intrusive in our lives, etc. Seriously, name me one decent real cyberpunk novel that's come out in the past 5 years. I can't think of any personally.

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jul 3 2004, 12:42 PM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

If you want to find good cyberpunk done contemporarily, you'll have to look to anime. Ghost in the Shell set a standard that Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex has surpassed in quite simply astounding ways, and Innocence looks pretty good too.

In terms of literature, I've seen nothing recently, I'll admit, unless you (and a few people seem to) count Pattern Recognition. I'll admit I haven't read it, but I did read through the first few chapters in the bookstore and liked what I saw.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jul 3 2004, 01:23 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

QUOTE (otomik)
thomas pynchon
raymond chandler

What'd he steal from Raymond Chandler?

+Quote Post
otomik
post Jul 3 2004, 01:25 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Ghost in the Shell had me wanting to do a full body cyborg campaign of CP2020 for the longest time, it would be tough working on that high a scale but that post-human angst thing is pretty damn cool.

i'm reading Pattern Recognition and i like it thus far, i just hope he doesn't do one of his standard plots where all these characters slowly get together in the end and then there's a big explosion or something, it's getting old.

+Quote Post
otomik
post Jul 3 2004, 01:45 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Zazen @ Jul 3 2004, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (otomik @ Jul 3 2004, 01:27 AM)
thomas pynchon
raymond chandler

What'd he steal from Raymond Chandler?

a lot stylistically but that's a matter of opinion. specifics are easier to agree on like the slow acting poison from The Big Sleep was turned into the "incentive" slow acting toxin used by Case's employeer in Neuromancer. gibson borrows from chandler as much as paul auster does but there's not as much cross-genre criticism (and it's online forums like these that make such over-specialization possible).

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jul 3 2004, 02:24 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

I thought the poison in the Big Sleep was just poison. It killed him in a couple minutes and wasn't really special.

Anyway, I'll be calling Raymond Chandler the father of cyberpunk now. He's certainly a whole lot more interesting than Gibson :)

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jul 3 2004, 04:35 PM
Post #23

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

I read Pattern Recognition a few weeks after it came out. It has nothing to do with cyberpunk. Nothing. I still liked it very much, and Gibson remains a talented man, but it's not cyberpunk in any way.

I do think that aside for a few animes and SR, cyberpunk is a more or less dead genre as far as mainstream goes. Perdido Street Station is steampunk, and that's as close as it gets. The Carlucci stories are the most recent cyberpunk litterature that I've found. But IMO, the author just isn't that good, and I found it pretty weak. Except for Destroying Angel. That was kind of cool.

+Quote Post
MozartSmozart
post Jul 3 2004, 06:37 PM
Post #24

Target

For the record Gibson only ever spoke of Shadowrun twice to my recollection and in both cases it was in response to specific questions.

Which was my point.

And despite how many people contributed to the creation of the genre, Gibson is still considered (by most) to be the "Father of Cyberpunk".

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Jul 3 2004, 06:43 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

Who is Gibson?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:29 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.