IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Quickened Increased Reflexes, Just wondering...
FXcalibur
post Jul 3 2004, 04:53 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,206

I'm a newbie to magic, so I'm wondering about quickening Increased Reflexes on yourself. If this is possible, i have a few questions.

Is someone with IR+3 as 'jumpy' as somebody with Wired 3? Do they move with the grace of someone with MBW 4? Also, I think I want to quicken this spell on my character . What's a good Force to set this quickened spell to (just in case i run into a mage who wants to dispell it), or is it a bad idea to spend karma for quickening?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 3 2004, 05:00 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

no, IR+3 doesn't make you jumpy--only technological increases do that. and, no--no one moves with the grace of an MBW4 guy except someone else with MBW4. you might try tattooing it at force 4 or so, and spending 2 extra karma on it--that gives you an effective force of 12 for dispelling purposes.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Jul 3 2004, 05:03 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

It is definitely possible to quicken IR +3. A mage with quickened IR +3 would be neither as "jumpy" as wired 3 (jumpiness only applies to cybernetic reflex enhancements) nor as smooth as a person with MBW 4 (which is a specific effect of that cybersystem).

It is OK to spend karma for quickening, ESPECIALLY if your GM allows the karma-for-cash rules in SRComp. The problem is that, over time, it *will* get dispelled - either by walking though a ward or multiple dispelling attempts, which cumulatively reduce your successes. I would say to either do it at as high a force as you can afford - which is my blanket advice for quickening, or to quicken it at force 1, in that losing 1 karma to dispelling/a ward isnt that bad.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 3 2004, 06:03 PM
Post #4

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

With walking through wards being the main screwjob that usually gets people with quickened spells.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jul 3 2004, 07:18 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Masking can fool wards. You are probably better off quickening it at low Force and masking it, to fool wards and escape the notice of enemy spellcasters who might dispel it. Yeah, you can fail to fool the ward, or the other spellcaster might have masking, too, and see it. But that's better than having a high-Force quickened spell that makes going through wards without alerting magical security nearly impossible.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Jul 3 2004, 09:45 PM
Post #6

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

I like the idea of using ritual sorcery to cast spells to be quickened. More than likely going to get a lot more successes than doing it solo. Increase Reflexes +3 is a spell many magicians are likely to know.

Some spells beg to be quickened using ritual sorcery for the casting. Detection spells in general. Increase attribute spells.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 3 2004, 09:57 PM
Post #7

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

I've never seen it listed where you can use ritual sorcery to quicken anything, much less end up with more sucesses doing it solo since you hav a lot more things to divide your dice up between. Where are the rules for that? Book/Page number? Example?

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jul 3 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

MITS page 36, "Spells cast through ritual sorcery may also be quickened..."

Never happens in my games since the few spellcasters always seem to be of different types, or be Magicians Way Adepts.

+Quote Post
Misfit Toy
post Jul 3 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,398

Unless there's a special rule for the Ritual Pool that allows you to use more dice pool than skill, it's generally going to be a wasted effort for many magicians.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jul 3 2004, 11:08 PM
Post #10

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Misfit Toy
Unless there's a special rule for the Ritual Pool that allows you to use more dice pool than skill, it's generally going to be a wasted effort for many magicians.

I'd think the primary advantage would be sharing the Karma cost to up the effective Force...

+Quote Post
Misfit Toy
post Jul 3 2004, 11:11 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

They were talking about scoring extra successes, however.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jul 3 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

You can't share karma, the leader has to pay it all.

And why's it a wasted effort? You just have to manage a 6 on a sending test, so a few dice get used up on that, very few depending on how lucky you feel. Everyones leftover sorcery dice plus foci add up for the casting.

+Quote Post
Misfit Toy
post Jul 3 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Where are you coming up with that from? Only the ritual leader's dice are used for the actual Spellcasting Test, though they can pull from the Ritual Pool if there's any still available.

If he has Sorcery 6, the most dice he can pull from dice pools is 6. So if his Spell Pool was 6 to begin with, nothing is gained in the use of ritual sorcery for these purposes.

Assuming I'm not misremembering how ritual sorcery works. I've only used it twice in the past.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jul 4 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Nah, the leaders sorcery dice go into the pool just like everyone elses. The casting is all pool, 'cept maybe for a couple totem dice.

+Quote Post
Misfit Toy
post Jul 4 2004, 12:29 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

In that case I stand corrected.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Jul 4 2004, 04:23 AM
Post #16

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

I don't require a Sending Test when doing ritual magic on a subject that's right there with the ritual team.

(Perhaps staked out in the middle of the pentagram or other ritual area. ;) )

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jul 4 2004, 05:52 AM
Post #17

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

QUOTE (Glyph @ Jul 3 2004, 12:18 PM)
Masking can fool wards.  You are probably better off quickening it at low Force and masking it, to fool wards and escape the notice of enemy spellcasters who might dispel it.  Yeah, you can fail to fool the ward, or the other spellcaster might have masking, too, and see it.  But that's better than having a high-Force quickened spell that makes going through wards without alerting magical security nearly impossible.

Actually, that's the annoying thing about Tattoo quickening. If you quicken a force-4 spell, it can count as force-12 for dispelling purposes... but still counts as force-4 for everything else, such as Masking. That makes it much easier to Mask.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Jul 4 2004, 05:54 AM
Post #18

Free Spirit

You can get more successes because you can draw dice from the Ritual Pool, an entire new pool of dice.

In the example they draw from spell pool and ritual pool at the same time. The shamans have Sorcery 5, but at one point allocate 6 ritual pool dice to a success test, so there may be no limit to the number of ritual pool dice the leader can allocate to an action. In fact, it says "Make the Sorcery test. The leader designates the number of dice to be used from the Ritual Pool."

Is there a limit to the number of Ritual Pool dice that can be allocated to a Ritual Test? What is it based on?

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jul 4 2004, 06:05 AM
Post #19

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

FAQ
Can dice from more than one pool be used if both pools are applicable? If a character can use dice from more than one pool at once, is he still limited to a number of total pool dice equal to the appropriate skill?

Yes and Yes. Astral Pool can be used along with Astral Combat Pool, for example. You can never use more pool dice (total, from all applicable pools) than the relevant skill dice.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Jul 4 2004, 07:24 AM
Post #20

Free Spirit

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
FAQ
Can dice from more than one pool be used if both pools are applicable? If a character can use dice from more than one pool at once, is he still limited to a number of total pool dice equal to the appropriate skill?

Yes and Yes. Astral Pool can be used along with Astral Combat Pool, for example. You can never use more pool dice (total, from all applicable pools) than the relevant skill dice.

So what is the relevant skill? Or is the example wrong?

+Quote Post
Misfit Toy
post Jul 4 2004, 10:24 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Apparently there is no Skill being used per se because everyone's skill is being transformed into the Ritual Pool. Its esentially one giant Skill that they just call a Pool to confuse people. :)

+Quote Post
Fu-Man Chu
post Jul 18 2004, 07:01 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,667

I just wanted to clarify about Quickening - once a mage has the technique, there's no limit to the number of spells he can quicken except for Karma limits correct?

And the dispelling concerns is why Sustaining Foci are better right? Cuz even if the spell is dispelled (by wards etc), all you have to do is recast the spell - am I correct in this also?

+Quote Post
Cheesy Answer
post Jul 18 2004, 07:10 AM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 6,472

QUOTE (Fu-Man Chu)
I just wanted to clarify about Quickening - once a mage has the technique, there's no limit to the number of spells he can quicken except for Karma limits correct?

Righto.

And the dispelling concerns is why Sustaining Foci are better right? Cuz even if the spell is dispelled (by wards etc), all you have to do is recast the spell - am I correct in this also?

I'd say you should be worrying more about tripping the wards than the wards dispelling your quickened spells. For a sustaining focus, all you have to do is turn it off, walk through the ward, and recast the spell. A quickened spell is permanent - that means you're going to be a huge liability to any stealth run, even when penetrating buildings with the most rudimentary magical security.

Quickening is only useful at uber initiate levels, where you can mask your spells if they're low level enough - but as mentioned before, even that's no guarantee.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:44 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.