IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best way to totally rail a shaman or mage, Because I can't think past guns and fist
Wounded Ronin
post Jul 4 2004, 06:06 AM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,383

Because my brain is very small and very simplistic, when I GM SR I mostly think in terms of guns and martial arts beatdowns.

However, I feel like I am not providing sufficient dangerous challenges to the magicians in my group who have buttloads of karma and really beefy attributes and magical powers.

What are some of the best ways to make magicians sweat, if they have enough karma and junk like that to generally survive gunfire with very little damage?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jul 4 2004, 06:08 AM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

The obvious answer is a magical smackdown.

The less obvious answer would be creatures that are resistent to magical attacks and/or ones that target the mages first.

Nothing quite like a Predator clinging to the ceiling, waiting for the first members to pass so it can pick off the rear elements.

And how many people ever think to really look up or down?

-Siege

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jul 4 2004, 06:19 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Also, don't forget background count.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jul 4 2004, 06:22 AM
Post #4

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

1. Background count. Makes everything about magic more difficult, even more so as it gets higher. Keep in mind that extreme Background Counts usually indicate a Toxic environment. Toxic domains mean Shamans (and Wu Jen) cannot summon or control their spirits.

2. Enemies that make effective use of Wards. Hiding behind a powerful, or even moderately powerful (Force 6) ward blunts the power of all magic attacks and makes it more difficult for spirit to reach the target (though not impossible). Wards, however, do not impede bullets.

3. Nimu Salamanders. These creatures absorb magical energy when spells are cast. Doing so increases their power, but it also makes them insane. I always spell them wrong, but they are in Critters.

4. Counter magic. Despite how often the characters float around with invisibility, players often forget enemies can open the same bag of tricks. Even support magic in the form of Spell Defense, Astral and Spell Barrier, Armor, and so on, can tip the balance back to center.

5. Naval Scale weapons. It always sounds easy to board a pirate vessel and steal the Black Pearl Focus, but when the USS Screwed shows up and pounds the pirates with anti ship missiles - while the characters are aboard no less, it makes thing rough. And those hungry Krakens can be killed, but the Megaldon? Not so much.

6. Girl friends. No seriously. Nothing sucks more than rescuing your girl from Craft as he tries to invest his Queen into her body. You had to pick the hottest chick, didn't you? And after you've survived the hoard of spirits and defeated Craft, you drag your near dead body to her and look into her eyes... She smiles and says, "I think we should just be friends."

That's all I got right now.

+Quote Post
Traks
post Jul 4 2004, 06:29 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,685

Kanda Ten, magically active plants are also your friends.
Using biofibers or virus is also pretty pretty effective.
And cast control on mage's sammie friend so he makes holes in mage is nice too.

+Quote Post
Zephania
post Jul 4 2004, 08:01 AM
Post #6

I am not here...

Member No.: 6,349

If you can't get through the armour spells etc how aboput going round them with a few gas weapons?

Tear gas should do the trick and I don't know a law enforcement agency that doesn't have it.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jul 4 2004, 08:17 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Magic is the best way to counter magic. Magic may be rare in the general population, but it will be much more commonly encountered both among runners and among their opposition - corporate security, Lone Star, organized crime, etc.

Use wards, background count, and (sparingly) a few of the threats geared towards awakened characters - FAB bacteria, hostile spirits, and so on. Enemy mages are the best way to keep magical PCs honest - they will need to allocate some of their dice to Spell Defense. Otherwise, they can pump high levels of dice into spells and blow away the mundane opposition, and still easily resist Drain. And why? Because they are able to split their dice between two things, when those dice were intended to be split between three things.

Don't discount mundane opposition, though. They can use suppressive fire if they suspect an invisible character (doors opening by themselves, etc.). The Increase Reflexes +3 spell is nice, but only the equivalent of Wired Reflexes: 2 (and usually not quite as good as that). Plus, Spell Pool and Foci dice don't refresh until the next round. The armor spell makes the mage a glowing target, and is not hardened armor - nearly any ranged attack is still potentially lethal, and the armor bonus does not offset the increased targetting by enemy forces.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Jul 4 2004, 08:39 AM
Post #8

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
6. Girl friends. No seriously. Nothing sucks more than rescuing your girl from Craft as he tries to invest his Queen into her body. You had to pick the hottest chick, didn't you? And after you've survived the hoard of spirits and defeated Craft, you drag your near dead body to her and look into her eyes... She smiles and says, "I think we should just be friends."

Heh, yeah, or even worse: "I was the Queen all along. Thanks for freeing me, suckers!" :)

Or really any other kind of reversal, Starcraft's-Kerrigan-style :)

+Quote Post
Egon
post Jul 4 2004, 11:18 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,860

Well normally mages are busy spending all their karma on magic stuff, such as going up grades, focuses, quicken spells ..... That being the case they come up short in the actual skills department. So make them use skills.

make them go to a party or talk to people about non magical things.

make them disarm a bomb or use a computer

make them ride a motercycle or fly a plain

if all else fails use flash granades and make them blind.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 4 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Drones.

If you want to take the thread title literally, miniblimps with railguns.

~J

+Quote Post
Sahandrian
post Jul 4 2004, 08:29 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,880

QUOTE (Egon)
That being the case they come up short in the actual skills department. So make them use skills.

make them go to a party or talk to people about non magical things.

make them disarm a bomb or use a computer

make them ride a motercycle or fly a plain

Unless someone makes an adept or Magician's Way with a lot of centering...

+Quote Post
Misfit Toy
post Jul 4 2004, 08:40 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,398

Or just a regular magician built sensibly instead of investing everything into magic.

+Quote Post
Clyde
post Jul 5 2004, 02:28 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

Don't forget forensic investigation! High force spells will leave behind the mage's astral signatures. If they leave anything like a ritual link behind, great, but if not a group can use an astral spotter to guide the spell. Yeah, maybe your mages/shamans are tougher than one or two azzie blood mages, but are they tougher than 6 at one time? :D

They may ease off on the uber spells if they know that those will be more likely to bring down the heat later, just like the samurai may have to leave his APDS at home if he doesn't want to bring down all kinds of attention.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jul 5 2004, 02:44 AM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

Naw, forget forensic investigation. Stick with the wards...the girlfriend bit. That was great. :D

If you're going to use magical crime scene investigators remember that you are setting a precedent. There are no canon rules for how LS/KE/whoever works the crime scene. So if you use that to screw your mage, you have be consistant and use it to screw the sam, the rigger, decker, the face, etc...

Besides, more mages clear the astral air after slinging the mojo than sams pick up their shells...

+Quote Post
Egon
post Jul 5 2004, 02:58 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Misfit Toy)
Or just a regular magician built sensibly instead of investing everything into magic.

All I was saying is put any magical PC next to a non-magic PC, and 40 karma later at best you will have magical PC with 20 karma placed into skills and a non-magical PC with 40 karma in skills. Its not meant to be a rip on magical PCs. The non-magical PC doesn't really have any thing to spend karma on but skills and attribute raises, and attribute raises cost so much and have so little clear pay out that they are rarely done.

Over time SR game mechanics lead to non-magic PC having a broader range of skills then magical PCs.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 5 2004, 03:01 AM
Post #16

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (kevyn668)
Besides, more mages clear the astral air after slinging the mojo than sams pick up their shells...

Thanks to the wonders of caseless rounds and how nearly all weapons use them in SR, I'd say very few sams pick up their shells.

~J

+Quote Post
Egon
post Jul 5 2004, 03:03 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Sahandrian)

Unless someone makes an adept or Magician's Way with a lot of centering...

What dose centering have to do with skills a mage may not have?

It is not like you can center against defaulting penaltys. Well maybe is you have an extremely kind GM.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jul 5 2004, 03:03 AM
Post #18

Runner

QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jul 4 2004, 11:01 PM)
QUOTE (kevyn668 @ Jul 4 2004, 09:44 PM)

Thanks to the wonders of caseless rounds and how nearly all weapons use them in SR, I'd say very few sams pick up their shells.

~J

I knew someone would say that... ;)

And I wouldn't say that nearly all weapons in SR use them. Its more like nearly all weapons in SR are available in caseless. :)

This post has been edited by kevyn668: Jul 5 2004, 03:05 AM

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jul 5 2004, 03:06 AM
Post #19

Runner

QUOTE (Egon @ Jul 4 2004, 10:58 PM)
QUOTE (Misfit Toy @ Jul 4 2004, 03:40 PM)

All I was saying is put any magical PC next to a non-magic PC, and 40 karma later at best you will have magical PC with 20 karma placed into skills and a non-magical PC with 40 karma in skills. Its not meant to be a rip on magical PCs. The non-magical PC doesn't really have any thing to spend karma on but skills and attribute raises, and attribute raises cost so much and have so little clear pay out that they are rarely done.

Over time SR game mechanics lead to non-magic PC having a broader range of skills then magical PCs.

OR that non-magical PC could convert that karma to cash and go buy that wiz MBW system he's been eyeing.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jul 5 2004, 03:56 AM
Post #20

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

QUOTE (kevyn668)
And I wouldn't say that nearly all weapons in SR use them. Its more like nearly all weapons in SR are available in caseless.  :)

QUOTE (SR3 @ p 276)
Many weapons offer two versions, for standard loads or for caseless ammunition, though the latter is far more common in the 2060s.

You pretty much have to specifically look for cased ammo firing guns in the 2060s since they're a minority. The only real reason to have/use them is because you can make your own ammo (in mechanics terms, at least). Here's a question for people who know. Can you use caseless ammunition in a weapon with an internal magazine or a revolver?

Anyway, I dislike throwing lots of things at the mage which he can't handle because his karma and character points are tied up in magic. Do you ambush the sam with spirits or penalize him in a similar fashion for not being magical? Not generally. The only time I'd do this is if all of the PCs face the same kinds of tests (ie, if you're going to pick on the mage for not having a lot of social skills, don't spare the troll street sam). Unless the mage has taken some flaws which warrant it, of course.

Instead, I think the goal should be to insert some challenge to the mage while challanging the other PCs at the same level. It's hard to do, of course, but it gets easier with practice (or so I'm told). Some ideas:

Geek the mage first. Enemies look out for the mojoslinger and shoot him ASAP. This in no way prevents your mage from doing what he does, it just means that he has to be more careful about it and invest effort into not being an easy target.

Enemy mages. One of those six nearly identical guys in security armor carrying assault rifles happens to know manaball 6. And he's got the whole team in LOS. This is a challenge for the mage since he'll be splitting his efforts between defending the team magically and taking out the opposition. Of course, the enemy mage has to do the same thing, but it'll generate some sort of balance.

Astral combat. While everyone's fighting on the mortal plane, another fight could well be waged on the astral plane. The enemy mage just ordered his four great form fire elementals to materialize amongst the party and toast them. The mage might use his own spirits and astral combat skills to make sure that the elementals don't leave the astral plane.

Wards, wards, wards. There are a variety of uses for wards. They limit astral recon, they serve as a barrier to active foci, and they stop sustained spells dead in their tracks. A cheap security measure is a door with a camera on it and a ward. The camera can't be fooled by magic since you can't get through the door with a spell on, and if you don't know the camera is there (pretty easy to keep it out of LOS from outside the door) you can't even try to get a spell at it through the barrier (the best you could do is an elemental manipulation or indirect illusion targeted in the room, but you'd still have to have a reason to know the camera is there).

Magical Forensics. Lone Star has a division set aside to track down magical criminals and may have access to those funky metamagics (symbolic linking and psychometry) which make life even more fun for mundanes as well as mages. Corps definitely have this kind of stuff. The only question is does it meet the corp's cost:benefit requirements to use them to track down your team... sometimes.

+Quote Post
Traks
post Jul 5 2004, 07:49 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,685

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Drones.

If you want to take the thread title literally, miniblimps with railguns.

~J

Loudly playing "Flight of the Valkyries" while incoming for a kill.
Ahh, sweet memories.

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post Jul 5 2004, 08:16 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

QUOTE (Clyde)
Don't forget forensic investigation! High force spells will leave behind the mage's astral signatures. If they leave anything like a ritual link behind, great, but if not a group can use an astral spotter to guide the spell.

Remember, the Cleansing Metamagic is your friend.

+Quote Post
Raife
post Jul 5 2004, 08:42 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,400

I disagree with most of the people here... Magic is a good way to counter magic... but Vehicles are better.

Check out Rigger 3. Drones can really give a magic user a bad day... especially when armed with Gel Rounds. To most characters gel rounds just mean they get knocked out. But to a magician gel rounds take away their casting abilities.

A doberman or lonestar strato-9 can seriously put the hurt on a mage if it hits them with a Medium Machine Gun burst of gel rounds. Making them suffer target numbers really screws them up, and they can't use anything to "heal" stun damage.

This goes doubly for everyone else in the group. Stun damage can't be healed by the caster, if you knock them all out using gel rounds you just made one of the mages spells worthless... and unconcious people are really easy to kill.

Your going to want to look this up, but I'm pretty sure that a drones armor works against powerbolt/ball just like it does against bullets. So unless they are using Lightning Bolt/Ball they are gonna have to throw a really big powerbolt to hurt a drone even a little. If they do manage to kill the drone... the rigger can just send in a new one. Captains chair mode + 4 strato-9's w/gel rounds = bad day for mage.

Along with gel rounds you have Tazers and Stun Batons. Basically just use a boatload of stun damage.

In Summary:
There once was a mage from seattle,
Whose power was fearsom to battle,
He met some nice riggers,
Who just pulled the triggers,
Now the mage looks like dead cattle.

Just a thought.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Jul 5 2004, 09:03 AM
Post #24

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Raife)
Your going to want to look this up, but I'm pretty sure that a drones armor works against powerbolt/ball just like it does against bullets. So unless they are using Lightning Bolt/Ball they are gonna have to throw a really big powerbolt to hurt a drone even a little. If they do manage to kill the drone... the rigger can just send in a new one. Captains chair mode + 4 strato-9's w/gel rounds = bad day for mage.

Um, no. All you have to do is hit the OR with even one success and the drone is hit; they can't even make a resistence test because they're nonliving, and extra successes stage the damage as appropriate. Powerbolt/ball cast at a low Force and high Damage Level are probably one of your best bets for taking out drones, actually; E. Manips at low-Force/Deadly damage run just behind it. Other good ideas include Trid Phantasm or Chaos over the vehicle's sensors, the Accident power from a handy spirit, and the various Glue-type spells.

OTOH, gel rounds and Stun damage are good ways to take down a mage (or for that matter anyone but the sammie, see below) but then any mage worth his salt will have a trauma dampener installed at some point so it's got to be a *lot* of Stun damage. The sammie's probably going to have a pain editor or the like installed, so he probably won't even notice the stun damage, let alone be affected by it.

+Quote Post
Raife
post Jul 5 2004, 09:15 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,400

Ok I just broke out my BBB and found how this actually works:

As on page 150 of the BBB
Spells cast against vehicles have a target number based on their Object Resistance (see p. 182) of 8 plus their Body Rating plus half their Armor Rating (round down).  (Note that elemental manipulation spells are treated as a Ranged Attack and have their usual base Target Number 4).  This high target number reflects the vehicle's complex technological and electronic makeup.  As vehicles are non-living, they get no Damage Resistance Test.  If a casting magician's Sorcery Test is successful, the spell takes effect.

That's an exact quote from my edition of the BBB, including the improperly used parenthases... which is REALLY MAKING HULK MAD. That line should clearly be it's own paragraph, since on the same page there is a section called "elemental manipulation spells". The first paragraph should just read "non-manipulation spells against vehicles..." AAARG MISS USED PARENTHESES WILL GIVE ME A CORINARY!

SOOO, taking a gander at the doberman- it's target number for that Powerball is a... 13. 8 + 2 +3. Assuming it was given no additional armor. A steel lynx combat drone would have a target number of 14. A Ares Gaurdian drone would need an ungodly target number of 16... freaking 16! It's not that hard to make astral contact for the purposes of starting your own Magic Group!

Now granted, a 1D powerball would screw it up if it got a success... but with target numbers like that... you would need a modul 13 sorcery dice to hit even half the time. Less than 1 in 6 "Sorcery 6" attacks will land. When you throw in 3 or 4 drones, all firing at the mage first turn with MMG's... or even 2 using MMG's and gel rounds... he won't be likely to hit the drones thanks to his boosted up target numbers from stun damage. Espeically when a rigger jumps into one and gives it his 4D6 initiative.

If you want to get really nasty, toss an enemy mage into the mix who is willing to use his Spell Defense dice to protect the drones and the players won't be able to just toss in a 1D spell and hope to get 1 or 2 successes.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:48 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.