Reply to this topicStart new topic
> techno-mage
Raptor1033
post Jul 4 2004, 08:51 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,370

a while back i had a player want to play a technology based mage. with the way magic works in shadowrun a mage can't easily cast spells on technological items. at the time we couldn't really figure out a way to give him a way to be unique and actually have a prayer of affecting technology. but during my late night musings i think i may have found a halfway decent way of lowering those nasty TN's as part of a shaman/ascetic's abilities.

for every -1 TN to affect technology the caster can take +1 TN to affect all other targets or +1 drain for any spell cast on a non-techno target. up to a max of -6 TN for techno spread in any manner over the 2 choices. the choice is made at character generation and is permament.
can summon only spirits of man perhaps?

comments? suggestions? ideas to expand on what i put forth?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Jul 4 2004, 09:04 AM
Post #2

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

Eh, it seems kinda wishy-washy to me. How about this for a shamanistic totem:

Computer
Appearance and trappings: Shamanistic mask makes the mage's body appear to be covered in wires and computer chips. Computer shamans are big technophiles; foci tend to look like technological gadgets and the like.

Benefits: Reverse the numbers on the Object Resistence chart in the BBB. That is, computers and other highly processed objects have a OR of 4 or less, while natural objects have an OR of 10+. +2 die to summon spirits of man.

Drawbacks: -2 die for Health spells and all spirits other than spirits of Man.

How's that?

+Quote Post
Egon
post Jul 4 2004, 11:14 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,860

edit [put in wrong thread]

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 4 2004, 01:41 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

a computer totem. heh, bad religion, eat your heart out. all i need to do is click on you...

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Jul 4 2004, 05:46 PM
Post #5

Decker on the Threshold

Had a few other thoughts on this while I was asleep. How's this for a more complicated computer totem:

Computer (Mk 2)
Appearance and trappings: Shamanistic mask makes the mage's body appear to be covered in wires and computer chips. Computer shamans are big technophiles; foci tend to look like technological gadgets and the like.

Benefits: Reverse the numbers on the Object Resistence chart in the BBB. That is, computers and other highly processed objects have a OR of 4 or less, while natural objects have an OR of 10+. Similarly, any spell that targets Essence now targets (6-Essence). For example, Heal, originally Target 10-Essence, for a Computer shaman is Target 4+Essence. This is considered a totem advantage.
+1 dice to detection spells. +2 die to summon spirits of man.

Drawbacks: Any spell that targets Body receives a TN penalty equal to the subject's total Essence, rounded down (note: this can actually be an advantage against cyberzombies). -2 die for Health spells and all spirits other than spirits of Man.

If you want a Hermatic school instead, just make the benefits and drawbacks the same, except the mage gets a bonus to earth elementals and a penalty to all other types of elementals. Sound good?

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Jul 4 2004, 07:45 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

Um, isn't an Otaku a computer shaman, of sorts?

JaronK

+Quote Post
Raife
post Jul 4 2004, 07:54 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,400

I was thinking more along the lines of stealing the Virtual Adept from MtA.

His magic doesn't need to effect machines, but instead he MUST have a focus and they are all machines that work/dont work.

His centering skills could be computer/electronics, and he could have a really nice Power Focus in the form of a computer or other diagnostic tool.

His spirits could easily be "spirits of man" or even make up a new one just for him. A "Spirit of the Machine" could materialize as anthing from a tiny clockwork robot to ED-209 from robocop. Of course it's home domain would be "labratories" and such... and hte summoning of it would involve BUILDING it.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Jul 4 2004, 07:56 PM
Post #8

Decker on the Threshold

QUOTE (JaronK)
Um, isn't an Otaku a computer shaman, of sorts?

JaronK

No, they're more like Decker adepts. :D

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 4 2004, 08:03 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

you mean something like this guy, Raife?

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jul 5 2004, 02:52 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

Looks like the Techno-Mage from Rifts™...

+Quote Post
Raife
post Jul 5 2004, 08:59 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,400

Something like that mfb, but that is a mage-adept thingy, and I was thinking more like a pure mage. But yeah, that's the general jist of it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:37 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.