Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Great Leap and melee, how to handle it
Shev
post Jul 6 2004, 07:50 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,949

I have an adept character who has Great Leap at level four and some skill with swords. So far, as I am the "main" gm of my group, I've just handled a great leap into melee combat by making an athletics test as per the normal rules to see if he makes it, and then giving him a +1 reach bonus if he does. However, I'm sure there's a better way of representing this. Any ideas?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Jul 6 2004, 09:06 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,754

Jumping into combat doesnt really give any more benefit than normal unless its a 1) jump kick or 2) surprise attack (like from above or something). I would just count it as a fancy way of declaring the charge combat option from CC.

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Jul 6 2004, 09:07 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

I wouldn't give it any bonus (if anything, it would be a negative, since you can't change direction mid leap, thus allowing your opponent to predict your movements). Instead, I'd use it as a nice way to avoid enemies, by jumping over them, possibly while charging other enemies.

JaronK

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jul 6 2004, 11:54 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

A fun tactic is to uberleap so that the opponent you're fighting is between you and his friends, that way you get to use him as cover.

+Quote Post
Cursedsoul
post Jul 6 2004, 12:09 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,689

What about denying them the friends in melee bonus while you leap? They really aren't going to be able to do much if you're jumping at an opponent if you ask me. Sure they can beat the hell out of him with sticks once he lands (or IF he lands if you possess matrix style gravity defiance) but for his initial attack they'd be kinda useless.

At any rate they're going to be rather awed the first couple of times you pull that. Maybe a circumstantial mod to the TN just because you aren't expecting the guy with the sword to develop a case of peter pan syndrome and go flying over the heads of the opponents.

Maybe not. I don't know. All this does for me is bring back horrible memories of the talk about leaping barbarians in D2. (give me a druid or an assassin any day. ;))

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jul 6 2004, 12:33 PM
Post #6

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

I will treat that as a complementary skill for a combined Kick Attack + Charging Option for Tae Kwon Do. But since it is Swords, then by Canon, I would give zilch nada nothing.

+Quote Post
CoalHeart
post Jul 6 2004, 01:34 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,757

leaping barbarians are as bad as leaping adepts? Now this is an interesting theory. Please Cursedsoul enlighten us :)

+Quote Post
ondali
post Jul 6 2004, 02:08 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 6,067

I see a troy screenshot in my mind with this description: opening scene

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jul 6 2004, 02:31 PM
Post #9

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

If you wanted to be nice, give a Power bonus based on "charging" since the character is using leaping to gain momentum.

Maybe a penalty to the attacker based on surprise? It's not often someone goes almost vertical in an airborne maneuver. :grinbig:

And the moving target penalty, naturally.

-Siege

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 6 2004, 06:26 PM
Post #10

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

I would make jumping a disadvantage if anything because staying airborne for any real length of time means you cannot maneuver whatsoever, your course is set and unalterable. This makes it far easier to defend against, because he can't feint effectively or change directions. That's horrible in a fight. I would allow it to give him bonuses to escape melee combat, and be able to engage people faster if the people were a distance apart from each other, maybe not allowing them an attack of opportunity when he leaves combat. The jump has advantages, just hurting your opponent is not one of them.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jul 6 2004, 06:37 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

If you're really into stylizing combat without regard to realism, just allow great jump to be used to achieve superior positioning. +1 reach, as I recall.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:46 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.