IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Quick way to NPC Magic?, is there a way to speed NPC casting up?
Clank
post Jul 7 2004, 07:08 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,366

I recently ran a SR game where the group was being attacked by mages. I had an NPC in the party and felt it would be unfair if I only picked on the PC's. What ended up happening is that I slowed down combat b/c I was rolling the Enemy's Sorcery, then the NPC's Resist, then the Enemy's Drain. Near the end of battle I just had one of the PCs make the resist test so they weren't just watching me roll dice and say, "Ooo, that was close." I don't really wanna just make up test results b/c I don't want to give the PCs the battle, but neither to do I wanna cheat them out by just deciding that the NPC takes Light drain. I also thought about rolling two sets of dice at the same time (white for Sorcery, black for drain), but that seems like a lot to roll at once. Any suggestions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 7 2004, 07:35 PM
Post #2

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

You know what's going to happen, roll it all in advance. have a list of premade 6 dice rolls, 4 dice tolls, ect. Cross them off as you use them.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jul 8 2004, 06:36 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

Generally if there's an NPC in the party I try to make it a non-combat type for this reason. I have trouble thinking of combat tactics for both sides, being unbiased toward his chances (especially if I just thought of something really cool), working out the tedious NPC vs NPC rolls that you mention, and so on. Mine just jump behind cover as soon as they smell the first hint of danger, because they're only deckers/technicians/faces/whatever.

That's probably not a very satisfying solution, but it works for me.

+Quote Post
cha-cha
post Jul 8 2004, 07:27 AM
Post #4

Target

From: Tempe, Arizona, USA (saving up to buy a share in Pueblo, though!)
Member No.: 1,101

One thing I have done is just give the NPC a "rating" and the "bad guys" a rating and just do opposed tests, like banishing spirits. So, for instance, NPC has a rating 5 and the bad guys have rating 3. Take 5 dice TN 3 and 3 dice TN 5 and whoever wins knocks down their enemy's respective rating. Then just add in flavor text to note the decreases in numbers. Works pretty well for me and I am pretty upfront to players about it, so they dont think I am flubbing numbers.

I like the pre rolled numbers, too, but I tend to be a pretty on the fly GM, and some of my descriptions are a bit over the top from time to time, so they just sit back in those cases and enjoy the story (and the fact they are not being shot at for once :-)!!!).

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Jul 8 2004, 02:29 PM
Post #5

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

One of my little tips is to have a string of d6 generated numbers, a 100 or so, and cross them off as I use them. Great for a high drama game, its much faster too.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Jul 8 2004, 09:23 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

As Lindt said, a paper with pre-rolled numbers works.

The other option is to work each roll by averages. TN 6? Every 6th die is a success. TN4? Every second die is a success. Etc. It's relatively fair; it's quick; it's easy. I only suggest it for NPC vs NPC action though.

+Quote Post
Diesel
post Jul 8 2004, 09:28 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,955

Problem with that one Raven is that the results become invariable. The pre-rolled dice sound like a much quicker solution. If you have access to a laptop or PDA, a dice roller on the platform may aid you, as it does it without the dice skittering about.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jul 8 2004, 09:56 PM
Post #8

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

QUOTE (cha-cha)
One thing I have done is just give the NPC a "rating" and the "bad guys" a rating and just do opposed tests, like banishing spirits. So, for instance, NPC has a rating 5 and the bad guys have rating 3. Take 5 dice TN 3 and 3 dice TN 5 and whoever wins knocks down their enemy's respective rating. Then just add in flavor text to note the decreases in numbers. Works pretty well for me and I am pretty upfront to players about it, so they dont think I am flubbing numbers.

Nice. I'm adding that to my bag of GM tricks!

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Jul 10 2004, 09:26 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

QUOTE (Diesel)
Problem with that one Raven is that the results become invariable.

Yep, which is why it should only be used for NPC vs NPC rolls. And it will create the most likely outcome of any test, which is satisfactory for less significant tests, as long as you don't use it too often.

Pre-rolled dice are better, though, but require more time in preparation, unless you have a computerized dice roller to create the rolls for you. cha-cha's rating system seems neat as well.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:05 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.