Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Headware radio implants, Quick question
GreatChicken
post Jul 8 2004, 01:06 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,286

Aside from communications purposes, can Radio Headware also (for example) send remote detonation signals to radio detonated devices, or control radio controlled drones?

Or does a person with radio headware still need to purchase a radio detonator/remote control deck?

Frequency hopping aside, surely there must be more possible uses for multiple frequencies in higher Radio implant levels...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jul 8 2004, 01:37 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

You'd still need to buy both.

Aside from hopping frequencies, higher rating allows you substantially increased range (1 km per rating, I believe) and I believe helps in electronic warfare.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jul 8 2004, 01:37 PM
Post #3

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

I have no clue about using headware radio as a detonator, but you definitely can't substitute the radio for a remote control deck. M&M has a cranial remote control deck which you can use.

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jul 8 2004, 01:59 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

Depends what you want to detonate. You need a detonator if your trying to radio detonate something attached to some C-X. You choose a signal, transmit it, and boom goes the bomb.

Similar thing happens if your radio is set up to recieve a signal connected to a cortex bomb.

And a cranial remote deck is the only way to rig drones. If I understand you though, you want to have a radio link between the rigger and the remote deck and then from the remote deck to the drones. It could be theoretically possible, but why? ECM would cut your off from your deck and sunder the connection between the deck and the drones. You'd be making yourself more vulnerable to Electronci warefare than less vulnerable. The only way you could possibly win out is with dump shock, but I think it's a given in SR that you have to be connected to a device which connects to any network, be it the Matrix or the Rigger network, and there can't be an intermediary link aside from a datajack or router.

Don

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Jul 8 2004, 03:02 PM
Post #5

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

You can also connect your internal radio to your image display and watch feeds from any vehicle with sensors 1 or better that you know the right frequency for.

+Quote Post
Person 404
post Jul 8 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,696

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Aside from hopping frequencies, higher rating allows you substantially increased range (1 km per rating, I believe) and I believe helps in electronic warfare.

The flux of the device is equal to its rating, which means that higher-rating radios have some impressive range. It's also harder to intercept (with a scanner) channels of higher-rating radios.

+Quote Post
Sammiel
post Jul 8 2004, 11:24 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 4,336

but you need a neural inhibitor chip to protect your higher brain functions from the evil AI of the drones. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Misfit Toy
post Jul 9 2004, 12:07 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,398

You do need to buy a Radio Detonator for explovies -- it's actually the trigger, not the device that sends the signal. You basically set it to whatever frequency you want to use, and as soon as it receives a signal on that frequency, the explosive is triggered. Any radio can be used to send that signal.

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post Jul 9 2004, 12:16 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,677

QUOTE (Sammiel)
but you need a neural inhibitor chip to protect your higher brain functions from the evil AI of the drones. :grinbig:

Say...Out of curiousity, what does your sig say? I know some Latin, but not enough to decipher all that...

+Quote Post
Clyde
post Jul 9 2004, 03:58 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

It's been ten years since I've had any Latin but I'll give it a shot:
"I have a catapult." Pecuniam omnem is "all of your money" ad caput tuum is something about your head. Either way, it's sounds really hostile: you should do what he says :D

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Jul 9 2004, 04:00 AM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Now that you mention it, I saw that at the quotefile. This is the given translation.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jul 9 2004, 04:07 AM
Post #12

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

There's many advantages to having multiple radio channels open. Not the least of which is, you don't have to worry so much about your communications being intercepted. You can have one "clear" channel, and then a bundle of encrypted ones for "whispering" to individuals.

+Quote Post
Link
post Jul 9 2004, 04:54 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,180

All cyber implants have a 0 flux regardless of rating according to the rules. With a range of 250m (or 500?) it makes them a bit redundant.

One solution is to chop off your arm and get a cyber limb with signal booster.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jul 9 2004, 05:56 AM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

A 'radio detanator' is usually the small explosive device that goes off when it gets a radio signal and sets off the bigger bomb, not the little black box with the button on it that hollywood is so fond of. You attach the radio detanator to the explosives. Then when the detanators receivers the right radio signal (from any radio source) it goes off. This is why you sometimes see signs telling you to turn off your CB (etc) radio in construction areas. Most any 'good' radio can probably be used to set off a radio detanator (even if by accident), this is why they are not popular).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:41 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.