Reply to this topicStart new topic
> DocWagon Alternatives
FlakJacket
post Jul 9 2004, 01:28 AM
Post #1

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

What other alternative companies have been mentioned that offer the same kind of services as DocWagon? I know that there was Crashcart but they got taken over by Yamatetsu after the whole 2XS thing and dropped out of sight. Are Crashcart still an active company, have their been any mentions of them in places like Man & Machine or Corporate Download? And are there any other companies lurking about that I can't remember? Thanks. :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jul 9 2004, 01:38 AM
Post #2

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

CrashCart is around in SoNA. Active in some NAN states. Let me load up NMAth's corp list and...

+Quote Post
Black Isis
post Jul 9 2004, 01:47 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,151

MediCarro, in Aztlan, is presumably still around -- however, it's really just a DocWagon-run Aztech-owned company (and as far as I know, it's Aztlan only).

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jul 9 2004, 02:02 AM
Post #4

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

These look promising:

? Kyuusei Medical SoNA-120 ?
? Lifescape, Ares Macrotechnology CDL ?

Lifestar Health Services Incorporated, Crashcart Medical Services T:AL-43

MediCarro, Aztechnology CDL

? MediVac NAGNA ?

? Nunoo Health, Phoenix Biotechnologies CP ?

? Reactive Meditech, Cross Biomedical BITB-65 ?

? Shiawase Health and Welfare, Shiawase CDL ?

And Nath, Parashield is owned by Mitsuhama according to YotC.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jul 9 2004, 02:20 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

But you still have to have a SIN (I think) and more importantly your blood and tissue samples will be in a frezzer somewhere with your name on 'em...

Maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't trust that action. Plus, on runs in the past we've hit Doc Wagon to get those very things. If PCs can do it, you can be damn sure NPCs can too.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Jul 9 2004, 02:33 AM
Post #6

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Oh, this wasn't really for shadowrunners. Was thinking about Hong Kong as a location and considering random things. Like since its gone from a Japanacorp dominated town to a PPG one, what sort of changes might have happened. Like Shiawase Health and Welfare getting edged out by Yamatetsu's Crashcart, PacRim Communications getting the city's matrix grid maintenance contract etc. All because they're PPG members and are usurping Japanese owned/copntrolled companies.

It's like Corporate Download says about their keeping business, and cash, internal. Suppose you're a PPG member and want to open a HK office: The PPG uses its influence to make sure you get planning permission, you take out a loan from the Malaysian Independence Bank to build the place, hire Red Wheel Engineering to do the construction with it, get Yamatetsu's to do the security- since that division moved to Hong Kong IIRC and insure the place through Fidelity Mutual Insurance Corporation- one of Wuxing's insurance companies. :)

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Jul 9 2004, 03:09 AM
Post #7

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (kevyn668)
But you still have to have a SIN (I think) and more importantly your blood and tissue samples will be in a frezzer somewhere with your name on 'em...

Maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't trust that action. Plus, on runs in the past we've hit Doc Wagon to get those very things. If PCs can do it, you can be damn sure NPCs can too.

If that's how you want to run it.

I think DocWagon can issue a SIN for its customers. Pretty much only good with DocWagon. IIRC coverage starts as soon as payment is received, so they don't always require tissue and blood samples to be kept on file. And really, why would they want the expense of doing so? And not just the expense of the sterile storage facility, but keeping track of those samples and providing security against everyone that would like to steal a sample.

What are the benefits?

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jul 9 2004, 03:17 AM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

I always thought thats how it worked. SIN-wise, why would any company cover you if they didn't have a (currently) social security number, permenant residence, nearest blood relation, etc.

They could always clone a new part of you from the leftovers of when you were brought in but it seems like from a corp stand point they'd want that stuff on file.

Dot the "I's" and cross the "T's" as it were.

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Jul 9 2004, 04:42 AM
Post #9

UMS O.G.

Member No.: 6,335

Last time I checked you don't need a SIN to join Doc Wagon. You contract is prepaid after all. I have to agree though that Doc Wagon wouldn't keep tissue samples for liability reasons alone. After all, why do they need them? They will have your medical profile of course but if they are gonna regrow a limb or something they will have you right there to ask and take tisue samples from. And get payment up front.

+Quote Post
Plastic Rat
post Jul 9 2004, 05:05 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 2,665

I beleive they needed DNA samples in case they needed to clone body parts or organs for you. But then again, I could be thinking of CP 2020...

I would really like to offer my runners a few viable alternatives to DW, maybe guys who run a grayer area of the line. A company that's a little more shadowy and doesn't mind at all catering to Shadowrunners. After all, they've got the big cred.

Offer them something where they don't want ID, DNA, ritual samples or astral scans and they're willing to pick you up anytime anyplace, regardless of who's shooting at you. (And maybe a provisio that you're within X meters from the open air, no digging through Bug Hives or breaking into LoneStar to get your sorry ass out.)

+Quote Post
CircuitBoyBlue
post Jul 9 2004, 05:17 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,215

In my games I always run DocWagon as sort of shady, at least at the lower levels. They handle the contracts for everyone, but they're usually experienced enough to "just know" when they're going to need to respond to a runner group, and don't ask too many questions. Mostly, I just don't like having the team get screwed over in the ways that getting shot will bring on, at least not in EVERY session (everybody has their bad ruts, plus my group plays people who have no idea how to properly run the shadows). I haven't had to bring it up in my current game too much because one of the characters is a pretty good doctor, and a few weeks ago one of the players mentioned something about wanting to cut into the market by starting up a DocWagon competitor. I have always liked the idea of there being more than one company doing that (though after I read 2XS, I kinda had the impression CrashCart wasn't going to be very active anymore), but when the player brought this up, I figured the story possibilities from that were better if there weren't any competitors. So now I guess the guys are going to have a hospital trying to off them....

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jul 9 2004, 07:55 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

There was also something called Careline, but that maybe a 1st ed reference.

In Germany there's BoNMA, but I can't remember what that stands for. The new DiDSII introduced a firm called Blue Angels. I have a copy of the old Germany Sourcebook (in German). There's a color page for BoNMA which has a picture of a doctor with a syringe. The ad goes "Hey, Chummer. Do you visist your doctor around the corner just because he's cheap and keeps his mouth shut. Well, we can too. BoNMA."

Don

+Quote Post
Birdy
post Jul 9 2004, 01:04 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,528

QUOTE (shadd4d)
There was also something called Careline, but that maybe a 1st ed reference.

In Germany there's BoNMA, but I can't remember what that stands for. The new DiDSII introduced a firm called Blue Angels. I have a copy of the old Germany Sourcebook (in German). There's a color page for BoNMA which has a picture of a doctor with a syringe. The ad goes "Hey, Chummer. Do you visist your doctor around the corner just because he's cheap and keeps his mouth shut. Well, we can too. BoNMA."

Don

It's BuMoNa (Bund für Mobilen Notfall Arzteinsatz) the Cooperation for mobile emergency care/reaction Ambulances/Doctors.

Birdy

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jul 9 2004, 01:16 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Vielen Dank.

Don't have that book at work at the moment.

Don

+Quote Post
Nath
post Jul 9 2004, 06:16 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

QUOTE ("Kanada Ten")
? Kyuusei Medical SoNA-120 ?

Pharmaceutical groups headquartered in the Salish-Shidhe Council. No evidence of a medical service branch. But corps use to be big.

QUOTE ("Kanada Ten")
? Lifescape, Ares Macrotechnology CDL ?

Mistake from the early verison of my list, I don't remember why I thought it was an inssurrer or something like that. But Lifescape is a simsense producer, as explained in Corporate Shadowfiles page 34.

QUOTE ("Kanada Ten")
Lifestar Health Services Incorporated, Crashcart Medical Services T:AL-43

Lifestar is running hospitals and clinics in Australia, but the DocWagon-type services are provided by Crashcart. Something like, a Crashcart emergency team rescue you and brings you to a Lifestar hospitals. As said above, Crashcart is a subsidiary of Yamatetsu.

QUOTE ("Kanada Ten")
MediCarro, Aztechnology CDL

Nuff' said.

QUOTE ("Kanada Ten")
? MediVac NAGNA ?

According to the Neo-Anarchist Guide to North Am', this company was providing a DocWagon-type servive in Manhattan.

QUOTE ("Kanada Ten")
? Nunoo Health, Phoenix Biotechnologies CP ?

Reference is page 114 of Cyperpirates. Phoenix, a Pueblo mega, took over Nunoo Health with the backing of the Asantehene. I guess the Asantehene are people from the Asante Nation, so it's rather suggesting Nunoo is a local African corp. It still might provide DocWagon-type service there (emergency care in Africa ?! woah, concept guys) but that's a bit far from most runners area of interest.

? Reactive Meditech, Cross Biomedical BITB-65 ?

The object of an adventure hook in Blood in the Boardroom. We only learnt it was targeted by a takeover by Cross and that it emitted bearer bonds. Well, when a 'biotech corp' is mentionned it's often implying it's a biotech research corp.

? Shiawase Health and Welfare, Shiawase CDL ?

Probably. Shiawase is a AAA and a leader in biotechnology, the subsidiary's name is fitting. Your guess is as good as mine.

As said above, there's BuMoNa in Germany, and the London Sourcebook said BUCM and Careline were providing DocWagon-type services in Great Britain.

QUOTE ("Kanada Ten")
And Nath, Parashield is owned by Mitsuhama according to YotC.

Hm, thanks. I don't know what version of the list you're using, the one resting on my hard drive was already correct on that one. The first book I got through to make the list was Corporate Download and it lists Parashield as a MCT subsidiary.

+Quote Post
Orient
post Jul 9 2004, 07:17 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,553

REO MeatWagon
"No doctors, save money!"

(sorry)

+Quote Post
Plastic Rat
post Jul 9 2004, 07:28 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 2,665

QUOTE (Orient)
REO MeatWagon
"No doctors, save money!"

JEAH! Another Cyberpunk 2020 player.

I have to transcribe that "Day in the life of Trauma Team™" article. It should be required reading before mentioning DocWagon.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Jul 9 2004, 08:13 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Birdy)
It's BuMoNa (Bund für Mobilen Notfall Arzteinsatz) the Cooperation for mobile emergency care/reaction Ambulances/Doctors.

Many runners quickly terminate their BuMoNA-contracts once they realise it's an AG Chemie* subsidiary...

(* = Germany's rather ruthless chemistry AA-corp.)

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jul 9 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Ah Crap! :eek: That's in DidSII, ain't it? I don't remember seeing that in DidSI resting next to me at the moment.

Don

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 10 2004, 05:36 PM
Post #20

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

the reason for docwagon needing tissue samples is that growing a limb takes time. i think it was stated (cant find the reference now) that only after about a month or so into the contract the limbs and organs will be available for implant...

edit:
bingo found it, page 128, section about pieces and parts...
there it is stated that a platinum card will give you access to a donor counterpart (sounds like a body without brain and spinal colom in place) 3 months into the program that they can take apart for fast replacement.

allso, i came to think that when they have a lab sample they can take that out of the freezer the moment the parametic states that you have bullet or stab wounds to some vital parts and start the prosess without needing to wait for you to hit a slab in the docwagon hospital. less risk of failure that way...

+Quote Post
Nath
post Jul 10 2004, 05:50 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

QUOTE (shadd4d @ Jul 9 2004, 10:33 PM)
Ah Crap! :eek: That's in DidSII, ain't it? I don't remember seeing that in DidSI resting next to me at the moment.

AG Chemie Europa is owning stock in BuMoNa per Germany Sourcebook, page 58, or page 158 in the original Deutschland in der Schatten. It does not mean BuMoNa is a subsidiary, since this would more specifically mean AGCE is owning a majority of BuMoNa stock.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Jul 10 2004, 05:59 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

I'm pretty sure that in Corp Download it mentions Crashcart is starting to come back after the 2XS scandle. I'm just not sure if they meant worldwide or specifically in the Seattle area.

+Quote Post
Nath
post Jul 10 2004, 06:19 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Globally, Corporate Download isn't written from Seattle perspective. It states that Crashcart did not really expand for years, in comparison to its jumpstarting against DocWagon and before Yamatetsu bought it out. So Crashcart was failing from a corporate point of view, with a bad financial position. Now according to the CDL with ten more branches opened worldwide, it is present everywhere Yamatetsu is (probably meaning only Yamatetsu big name, not every subsidiaries the megacorp can own). Looking at Shadows of North America, there are only a few area for which it gives a Crashcart coverage: Anchorage, the Algonkian-Manitou Council, San Francisco Bay and Toronto, and I guess you can add Seattle.

BTW SoNA also indicates Nightingale offers DocWagon-type service in New York and Boston. For the record it's a Novatech subsidiary.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Jul 11 2004, 10:37 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Nath)
AG Chemie Europa is owning stock in BuMoNa per Germany Sourcebook, page 58, or page 158 in the original Deutschland in der Schatten. It does not mean BuMoNa is a subsidiary, since this would more specifically mean AGCE is owning a majority of BuMoNa stock.

Indeed, Deutschland in den Schatten (ingame year 2053) speaks of AG Chemie owning stock in BuMoNA.
But Deutschland in den Schatten 2 (ingame year 2062) lists BuMoNA as a "Tochterfirma" (or subsidiary in English) of AG Chemie (p.288).
Shadowtalk advises people to consider whether they want them to have a tissue sample of you...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:48 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.