Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Two quick questions, TN related
theartthief
post Jul 9 2004, 05:32 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,111

I am gearing up for a game that I will be Gm'ing and wanted to make sure that I was well versed on the rules as presented in the BBB.

1. In a damage resistance test, does the wound level penalty add to the TN?

I have played it that way but the example on page 113 of the BBB doesn't take that into account. It just uses Power minus Armor resisted by Body.

2. How do you handle the fact that 6 and 7 are the same TN?

Example: Gel rounds do Power -2 [Regular Damge Code] Stun so a Predator (9M) would do 7M Stun. That's the same as 6M Stun from the point of view of the person on the receiving end.

:| However, the reduction in power due to armor would make a difference. Just curious.

Thank you,

- theartthief
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Jul 9 2004, 05:34 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,928

Wound level makes no difference to Damage Resistance, only to dodging.

You can be unconscious and still resist Damage, albeit no combat pool.

as for the 6/7 TN - it doesn't bother us.

+Quote Post
CoalHeart
post Jul 9 2004, 02:02 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,757

Being unconsious and resisting damage incurs a +4 tn I do believe.

Basis for my interpretation is in the rigger's section I don't know what page or which book :(. When a rigger is jacked into a drone they're not paying attention to their body making damage harder to compensate for. Because they can't roll with the damage, angle their body properly to avoid major organ damage and so on.

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Jul 9 2004, 02:14 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,928

I don't have Rigger 3, but wound modifiers have never factored into resisting damage. As we interpret it, being unconscious provides a -1 TN to be hit by attacker (stationary target), and no combat pool for soaking.

Same with spell resistance.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jul 9 2004, 02:20 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

QUOTE (SR3 @ p 126)
The Injury Modifier is a universal target number modifier that applies to nearly all Success Tests the injured character may attempt, except those for resisting or avoiding damage.

The listings for damage resistance tests do not include injury modifiers, either. Dodge tests explicitly include the damage modifiers in the test (p 113).

Unconciousness doesn't do anything aside from make you easier to hit and deny you CP (as others have said).

For the TN 6=7 thing, you get used to it. It's not that terribly common that you're rolling against TN 7.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Jul 9 2004, 03:08 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

For the 6/7 thing, it becomes more difficult once you add TN mod. (wound penalty, vision mods, etc..)

+Quote Post
gfen
post Jul 9 2004, 03:12 PM
Post #7

Target

From: bethlehem, pennsylvania. not israel. we're not busy bulldozing any palestinian homesteads here. yet.
Member No.: 5,989

7 -> 6?

Not by my group's reading, we see it as 7->8.

A one is ALWAYS a failure, yes?

IE, my TN is 1, but I roll a single die and it comes up 1. Meets the TN, but a 1 is a failure. Too bad for me.

My TN is a 7. I roll a die, it comes up six. I re-roll, it comes up 1, except that 1 is an automatic failure. I needed at least a 2 on my re-rolled 6 in order to beat the automatic failure rule.

+Quote Post
FXcalibur
post Jul 9 2004, 03:17 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,206

QUOTE (gfen @ Jul 9 2004, 10:12 AM)
7 -> 6?

Not by my group's reading, we see it as 7->8.

A one is ALWAYS a failure, yes?

IE, my TN is 1, but I roll a single die and it comes up 1. Meets the TN, but a 1 is a failure. Too bad for me.

My TN is a 7. I roll a die, it comes up six. I re-roll, it comes up 1, except that 1 is an automatic failure. I needed at least a 2 on my re-rolled 6 in order to beat the automatic failure rule.

TN 7 is... TN 7. Roll a six, get a seven free because you'll always get at least a one.

TN can never be lower than 2. Thusly a 1 is always a failure.

As for that second bit, no. By the rules, you roll anything not a 1 on the FIRST die toss, it's not an autofailure. Autofailures do not exist when rerolling die for the Rule of Six.

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Jul 9 2004, 03:19 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

Ew. I'd avoid that. It messes up the whole 'rule of sixes'. It's not a good idea to punish people for having more dice, or good rolls.

+Quote Post
Shev
post Jul 11 2004, 05:15 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,949

I've always played a TN of 7 as being a TN of 8 for all intents and purposes. Whatever modifies it does so from seven, but if the final TN is 7, I always require my players to get an 8. I swear that rule is somewhere in the BBB, but I'm too lazy to check. Anyone have a page number?

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 11 2004, 05:19 AM
Post #11

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (Shev)
I've always played a TN of 7 as being a TN of 8 for all intents and purposes. Whatever modifies it does so from seven, but if the final TN is 7, I always require my players to get an 8. I swear that rule is somewhere in the BBB, but I'm too lazy to check. Anyone have a page number?

No page number on that because it is undoubedly positibely not a rule in any SR rulebook.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 11 2004, 05:40 AM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

As pointed out, TN 6 and 7 are very different, as are TN 2 and -4. Why? Modifiers. Say you've taken a box of damage; suddenly all those 6s aren't any harder to make, but the 7s are nontrivially tougher. So on and so forth.

~J

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jul 11 2004, 05:42 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Very different is perhaps an overstatement, but they are definitely not identical, and factors do tend to shift to make them only a passing problem and sometimes part of a good dynamic. There are times, of course, when it can produce crazy results, but it's not too much of a problem, in my experience.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jul 11 2004, 05:57 AM
Post #14

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

The TN modifiers also don't apply to drain resistance or resisting spells either.

The 7 as 8 rules is not official, mostly the difference between TN 6 and 7 only shows up when modifiers are applied.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Jul 11 2004, 06:11 AM
Post #15

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Indeed it's not, because you're really not solving the problem, but merely delaying it; now 7 and 8 are the same TN instead of 6 and 7. It'd be a pointless rule.

On a further note, the d6 system is just complex anyway when it comes to scaling TNs. The difficulty of hitting a particular TN scales exponentially with the number, but each change changes the probabilities differently. That's the main reason that conditions that modify TNs are almost always more influential than increasing the number of dice. All in all, it's a wierd system with several variables that make calculating probabilities very odd.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jul 11 2004, 08:17 AM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Should be noted that modified exploding dice basically add the result -1 to all rolls after the first. Thus, rolling a 6 and rerolling up to a 5 would be an 11 with standard exploding dice, but a 10 with modified exploding dice. It negates the problem, but it's also somewhat slower and, more importantly, a lot of the canon TNs are designed to work around 6s and 7s being equivalent.

+Quote Post
Shev
post Jul 11 2004, 08:44 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,949

QUOTE (BitBasher)
QUOTE (Shev @ Jul 11 2004, 05:15 AM)
I've always played a TN of 7 as being a TN of 8 for all intents and purposes.  Whatever modifies it does so from seven, but if the final TN is 7, I always require my players to get an 8.  I swear that rule is somewhere in the BBB, but I'm too lazy to check.  Anyone have a page number?

No page number on that because it is undoubedly positibely not a rule in any SR rulebook.

Well then I guess it's just a house rule that I was taught that I wasn't told was a house rule (or forgot being told). I've never played treating 7 as a 6, but I think I'll stick with this house rule. I'd rather err on the side of things generally being more difficult. Makes the runners more nervous. :vegm:

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jul 11 2004, 09:33 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

The math with we a while earlier using d10s instead of d6s produced some better reuslts. Just add 1 to the 'base TN'.

+Quote Post
Misfit Toy
post Jul 11 2004, 02:49 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,398

I prefer "fixing" it by treating all 6's as "5+Reroll." Probabilities remain about the same until you hit TNs of 12 or so, at which point they progressively become more difficult at each increment of 6... but by that time, it doesn't really matter. It doesn't fix the total lack of a single curve in the Shadowrun system, but it makes all target numbers target numbers of their own.

I know TSS did a variation similar to that using d8's but that just does the same thing while simultaneously making all TNs under 8 significantly easier.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:34 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.