Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Keeping track of player positions, Knowing where everyone is
Dustbin1_UK
post Jul 9 2004, 08:10 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,459

This is a just out of interest question. (me being new to Shadowrun) I was wondering what other people do to keep track of all their players and NPC's.

Do you all use game mats or other methods.

If you do use game mats what do you use to symbolize the players.

If miniatures where do you get your Shadowrun miniatures from.

how do you like to determine the distance between characters.

Or what other methods do you all use.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Domino
post Jul 9 2004, 08:14 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,800

we use 1" = 1 m mats and differnt colored d6s to represent the characters and susing the 2 as the facing.

+Quote Post
TechnoDruid
post Jul 9 2004, 08:23 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 6,121

A 3' by 4' white board laid on a table, using different colored dry-erase markers. Make a scale of x"=x meters and you're good to go.

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jul 9 2004, 08:49 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

I tend to like the BattleMats™, which aren't all that shabby and use wet-erase markers. They're simply handy.

Something I wish Fanpro could do, which PEGinc does really well, is figure flats. You buy the pdf at rpgnow. com and then print them out onto cardstock. I'm not really a minitures guy, but cardstock is really good. My current game is using it to good effect (we're playing Savage Worlds with 50 Fathoms).

For determining distance, I usually say that 1" = 1 meter. If you can snag one, WizKids released these little tap measures with their starter sets of MageKnight. I find them really useful in conjunction with a battle mat. For snipers, just guesstimate it.

Don

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Jul 9 2004, 09:18 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

I use the 25mm shadowrun miniatures in conjunction with the DMZ and Sprawl Maps colored maps, as well as DMG boards and dryerase markers. The scale on the maps/boards vary depending on our need, but usually 1" = 2 meters.

The miniatures I've acquired from a variety of sources: various gaming stores, stiggybaby.com, and e-bay.

And shadd4d, if you're interested in shadowrun cardstock figures some came with the SR 1st edition GM screen (along with a pretty good adventure called SilverAngel) and some came with the DMZ board game.

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jul 9 2004, 09:43 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Yeah, but the problem is that they aren't available except if you, like you yourself, got "into the game at the early stage" and actually picked up the SR1 and DMZ.

I'd like something like that from RPGnow.com. It just seems like one of the many things Deadlands and PEGinc does right.

Don

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Jul 9 2004, 12:10 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

I use the DMZ and Shadowrun lead minis on a BattleMat 1" = 1m or 1" = 2m, depending on the needs of the scale. 0 reach = must be 1m appart, 1 reach = 2m, 2 reach = 3m, etc. for melee. I also use a lot of the cutouts on the WotC webpage for generic stuff (graveyard, etc). to add a bit more 3d to it, and I've got one player who wants to start making custom cut-outs for the PCs using Photoshop. Dunno if he'll ever get around to it, but it's a cool idea I think.

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post Jul 9 2004, 12:24 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,677

Provided I had them, I would use Necromunda and Warhammer 40k minis as my preferred SR minis. :D

Sadly, I have neither maps nor minis. :( Which isn't too bad considering that all of my SR games thus far have been online. :D

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jul 9 2004, 02:56 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

We've used M&Ms. Has the added advantage of helping cut down on the numbers of enemy in the immediate vicinity.

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Jul 9 2004, 02:59 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,928

I make detailed scale maps and plans using architectural software, and mark in pencils where everyone is (PC wise). I only add in NPCs as the players see/encounter them.

Sometimes I even make two sets of maps - ones the PC get via decking/contacts, and then the actual site (plans submitted to the city may not be the ones that get built :D)

+Quote Post
Dustbin1_UK
post Jul 9 2004, 03:44 PM
Post #11

Target

I make detailed scale maps and plans using architectural software

What software do you use for that?

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Jul 9 2004, 04:08 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,928

Chief Architect (PC prog.). Create floorplans, and generate 3D views of interior/exterior from any angle, add furniture and equipment, etc.

If I can find a way to pop the finished plans over to my mac, I might post PDFs of floor plans for others to use.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jul 9 2004, 07:05 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Too cool.

If you do, someone else is already hosting a map site - yours would be a welcome addition.

-Siege

+Quote Post
LaughingTiger
post Jul 9 2004, 07:54 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,211

I use a piece of ripped out notebook paper that looks like it's been scrawled on by a demon possessed wiggle with arthritis. Then we use d6 to mark each player's location, not that it really matters, or we even really pay attention, but it's something.

I wish I had some sort of aritistic talent. Be nice if my character portraits were more than just stick figures. I can tell the difference, others, not so much.

+Quote Post
Erebus
post Jul 9 2004, 08:02 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,872

I generally use a wet-erase gaming mat (hexes on one side, squares on the other), with the cardboard cutouts from DMZ, (or Cardboard Heroes from SJGames for other settings).

I love miniatures, but I have neither the skill nor the patience to paint them all. Besides with the cardboard cutouts, I can easily carry around over 1000 cutouts all pre-organized into individual encounter/location-based zip-lock baggies. Throw all the little baggies into a big freezer bag, and you have instant mini's for any situation for under 2 pounds, and the size of 2 good sized books.

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jul 9 2004, 08:35 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

This is one reason I like PEGinc. They do figure flats, i.e. cardstock real, real well.

Don

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Jul 10 2004, 01:39 AM
Post #17

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

Way back when I worked in a grocery store, I'd save sides from big cardboard boxes. Paper towel ones worked nice. I'd draw maps on them, using different colors for walls, doors, windows, furniture, plants. Cover them with pieces of paper and uncover as discovered.

Also had the 1st edition and DMZ cardstock as well as lots of SR minis. Had the maps from DMZ and that batch FASA printed. I think there were 8 (?) maps. If I wanted an alley, I'd place a couple of the builing maps to create a corridor.

I saw some fold up buildings with a grim future theme to them somewhere, but lost the link.
I'd like to see some fold together buildings for SR. A stuffershack, McHughs and Weapons World would be nice.

+Quote Post
Dustbin1_UK
post Jul 10 2004, 08:06 AM
Post #18

Target

If I can find a way to pop the finished plans over to my mac, I might post PDFs of floor plans for others to use.

That would be good of you. Would you mind letting us all know the link if you manage it?

+Quote Post
Dustbin1_UK
post Jul 10 2004, 12:53 PM
Post #19

Target

someone else is already hosting a map site - yours would be a welcome addition.

-Siege

WHERE? :eek:

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 11 2004, 08:05 PM
Post #20

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Siege)
Too cool.

If you do, someone else is already hosting a map site - yours would be a welcome addition.

-Siege

*Waves*

And yes, it would be a welcome addition. You'd just have to deal with the fact that it'll probably be plunked into the open directory until I can get off my lazy arse and finish the page :dead:

Dustbin: it's small, but it's here.

~J

+Quote Post
Dustbin1_UK
post Jul 11 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #21

Target

Great! Already I think I can put some of this to use. Cheers Kagetenshi! ;)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 11 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

As what will soon be the Index says, most of the thanks should go to Backgammon. I may eventually put some of my own maps up, though.

~J

+Quote Post
Dustbin1_UK
post Jul 13 2004, 09:30 AM
Post #23

Target

I have an idea. LEGO!!!!!!! By using lego men and building blocks to keep track! :D

Also there are loads of different buildings and vehicles you can build and use. Of course with the different themed lego there is you can use all those for different missions and you could use modeling paste to custom make figures! :cyber: Not just that but because they can be put into different poses you can tell when someone is crouched or aiming and stuff!!!

I came up with the idea when I was looking into GURPS and thought it would be cool to make a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles version (the original cartoons not the new ones, and yes I am 24 years old) and was in the super market and saw Mega blocks (lego's rival) had made a TMNT themed set of blocks! 8)

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Jul 14 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

I've been thinking of Lego's myself, but (sadly) I got rid of my (very extensive) collection many years ago. Getting a whole new collection will have to wait until I procreate.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Jul 14 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

QUOTE (shadd4d)
Yeah, but the problem is that they aren't available except if you, like you yourself, got "into the game at the early stage" and actually picked up the SR1 and DMZ.

I'd like something like that from RPGnow.com. It just seems like one of the many things Deadlands and PEGinc does right.

Don

Both can be found on eBay occassionally and possibly stiggybaby.com (I actually got both of mine under a year ago from Stiggybaby - was never interested in DMZ way back when, and the 1st ed GM screen I got in the early 90's didn't have SilverAngel in it (probably a mistake, but I didn't find out about the adventure until 2002)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:54 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.