IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> S-Run.net, Does anyone know who this is?
DV8
post Jul 9 2004, 12:13 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

Today I was checking the access logs to my website, and I saw a couple of visitors had come in through this link, so I decided to take a look.

Apparently, I ripped off his website design.

The website's creator calls himself SuperFly, and I was wondering if he or she frequented this place and could give me some sort of explanation for two things;

1. Why host a link to my website and then be so slanderous about it. It seems rather paradoxal to me. You know...doing me a favour and at the same time trying to discredit me.
2. What, exactly, is it about his "design" that I supposedly ripped off?

If anyone can tell me, you win a cookie.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 9 2004, 12:30 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

well, you use PHP and javascript, while he uses straight html, so obviously you just ripped his code right off the browser. it's also obvious that this guy has the first clue of what he's talking about, and that he's not an idiot in the least. he probably invented the left-side table of links, honestly, and possibly came up with the idea of using a blue-on-black theme. you're a dirty, dirty man, dv8. shame on you.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jul 9 2004, 12:33 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

No damn clue. I like your website better anywho, D. It's purty and useful.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jul 9 2004, 01:15 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

Wow, someone needs to make sure he gets his meds. Is it possible that your website was more like his at some point in the past? Because I'm not seeing it, save for the blue on black theme which 1/3 of all SR sites use.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Jul 9 2004, 03:31 PM
Post #5

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

Well, I'll just take the other side and say he's making a joke. No, not terribly funny but more on the self-deprecating side. From the rest of the site, most of the time he uses that sense of humor. I would almost go out on a limb and say it's an in joke. But you could email him and ask if it bothers you horribly.

+Quote Post
GreatChicken
post Jul 9 2004, 03:44 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,286

There's very little similarity between your site and that poor misguided soul's, not enough to warrant being defined as plagarizing.

Plus, PHP, ASP and other website scripting stuff are pretty much open source, and all can be traced back to some freely avaliable script from educational sites... :please:

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jul 9 2004, 04:28 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
But you could email him and ask if it bothers you horribly.

Yeah, I did. I'll let you know what he says if he says anything.

You know, I'm actually a little fucked off about this. I know I shouldn't be, but I am.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 9 2004, 04:59 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

that's the funniest part, though. DV8 uses PHP and javascript for his page; the other site uses straight html. if the guy had any clue what he was talking about, he could look at DV8's code and go "oh, DV8's page uses technology i've never even heard of, much less implemented in my page, ergo he could not have possibly ripped it off my page."

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jul 9 2004, 06:06 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

Well, the design could still have been ripped off, even though it obviously wasn't.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Jul 9 2004, 07:05 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Your page is an obvious rip-off. You stole his design of blueish text on a dark background with copyright information at the bottom and the page logo above the menu.

+Quote Post
Plastic Rat
post Jul 9 2004, 07:35 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 2,665

I'm inclined to go with the joke idea. Wired-Reflexes is one of the better known SR sites out there. It would be kinda like me setting up an online marketing site tomorow and putting in a link to Amazon.com with a "the guys who stole our idea" tongue in cheek message.

I'm pretty sure he's joking about it, don't get too riled up and find you fell for someone else's satire.

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jul 9 2004, 08:34 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Perhaps I am a bit too riled up, but...you know what? I'm offended. I think it's not true, and therefore people who don't know any better might think he's not bullshitting. That makes it slanderous. I put a lot of time and effort into the page, and I'm...well, just fucked off. If it's a joke, I don't think it's funny, and it's tasteless.

But yeah, you're right, I shouldn't get riled up. <mantra>I'm above this.</mantra> :)

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jul 10 2004, 01:40 AM
Post #13

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

Way back when #Shadowrun didn't suck so much and was on Undernet, there was a handful of twinks that decided they didn't like us and broke off and formed their own Undernet channel, #S-run. Superfly was one of them.

<shrug>

I don't remember him or his clique too well, I just remember that no one lamented their leaving. Though IIRC we did occcasonally get "Spies" from there, for some reason.

God, it's been a long time since Undernet.

<shrug>

#S-run may even still be around on Undernet for all I know.

Bull

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Jul 10 2004, 02:49 AM
Post #14

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

Gods, but I think I remember this guy. We had a couple of the old #S-run people turn up on #Shadowrun, must have been about a year or so back I think. As Bull politely intimated, they were assholes. Deev, unfortunately I don't think this guy was joking but actually serious about the comment. He's an idiot, just rise above it man.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Jul 10 2004, 03:26 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

This guy sounds like Squidi

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jul 10 2004, 06:50 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

From the latest update, it sounds like Superfly is being deployed to Iraq, so he probably won't reply to DV8. I think the comment is a (somewhat weak) attempt at humor - I mean, if he really thought DV8 was ripping off his site, he would hardly put up a link to it. But it's a lot like when White Wolf did that fake website of a religious right-winger dissing their game - if you didn't get the joke, you wound up being misinformed, which is bad. :(

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jul 10 2004, 05:32 PM
Post #17

Guests

He has the wrong URL for Shadowland.

+Quote Post
UnsungRequiem
post Jul 10 2004, 06:00 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 6,437

We've all met people like this. Insufferable pissants who can't stand losing or being proven wrong. So, what do they do when something like this happens? They do what any "reasonable" person would do. They attack the person responsible for their defeat. They accuse them of cheating, lying, and in your case "stealing".

I know it's hard, but my advice is ignore him. His is nothing....the dirt beneath your shoes. You know you haven't stolen anything, and the more you try and reason with him, the more he'll realize he is getting under your skin. If you find that you are still unable to ignore him, remember this; He is not a person, he is ignorance personified."

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jul 11 2004, 08:40 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Dennis,

Just dropping you a quick line from here in Japan to let you know that it happens t be a joke.  I discovered your site while looking for an old Shadowrun-related movie list and was impressed.

Obviously, your site has a lot of time and effort put into it, and I vaguely recognized it from back when it wasn't structured in the current look at all.  I commented that your site had the same "feel" as my on, which lead to us joking that it was "Mine++", etc.  There are similarities, sch as your "Shadowrun" page looking like an updated version of my own "What is Shadowrun" page, etc...But they're obviously coincidences and neither of them are very original.

It is paradoxil because it's meant as an inside joke among some of our regulars.  I'm sorry if you weren't in on the joke, but I hope you can respect it now.

I am sorry but I will neither remove your link or change the phrasing as it is simply meant as a joke.  I respect the time and effort put into your site and visit it frequently for a good reason.  I hope that this is satisfactory for you, as I believe any publicity and competition is good for all websites.

Enjoy yourself, and feel free to drop by #S-Run on Undernet.  You've got a lot of great story ideas and I'm sure you could run a mean campaign.

Sincerely,
The SuperFly

What a jackass.

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jul 11 2004, 08:49 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

An inside joke no one knows is not a joke.

He could have had the decency to actually sign with his real name.

Don

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jul 11 2004, 08:50 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Ja. :eek:

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 11 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

yes. polite letters and apologies are the earmarks of jackasses everywhere.

+Quote Post
Dax
post Jul 11 2004, 11:52 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,013

I personally think his reply to DV8 was...kinda stupid. An inside joke that appears as an insult, on a public area, and then tell the person who might take it as an insult that he won't change it, beacuse you weren't in on the joke....

What the hell? It just doesn't make any sence to me....

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jul 11 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

I think the half-assed attempt to justify how their sites looked similar was worse than his "Yeah, it's wrong but I'm a dick and I won't change it" bit.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jul 12 2004, 12:25 AM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

WHO CARES.

He says dumb things. He looks dumb. He just got married to an equally dim-looking girl at the age of 22 and then solidified the bond of love by hopping off with the marines. He gets his license suspended because he's too dumb to pay his tickets. He's as dumb as, well, most people I know.

So then he goes off and makes a dumb joke about a web site. Who really cares?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.