IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Zombies, possible or outside the genre? discuss.
otomik
post Jul 9 2004, 08:39 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 752

anybody ever run a zombie scenario successfully? I'm not talking about those non-ghoul ghouls that shadowrun has that talk, aren't dead but stink and don't really crave human flesh enough to do anything about it. Non-intelligent infectious zombie hordes it what i'm talking about, maybe from a corporate bio-warfare experiment gone wrong (or perhaps much better than anticipated in the case of Aztechnology).

Possible problems are that to really get the zombie feeling it's got to be post-apocolyptic, that the entire world is infected. That can really fuck up a setting and future adventures so maybe there's an out in the case of it seems post-apocolyptic (like in 28 days later). Perhaps it has to be a research island somewhere (plenty of those around in Seattle-based campaigns).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post Jul 9 2004, 08:41 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,677

Well, street sammies with cyber-arm mounted chainsaws and high ranks in shotguns always helps... :grinbig:

+Quote Post
otomik
post Jul 9 2004, 08:45 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

I guess these kinds of crazy survival scenarios were already covered in Bug City and Arcology Shutdown.

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jul 9 2004, 08:46 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

OTOH, there must be a reason the corpse cadavre are included in critters. Hmmm?

Don

+Quote Post
Misfit Toy
post Jul 9 2004, 08:47 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,398

I've done it once before, but it was on a metaplane. I like to use them from time to time when we need a breather in our regular games -- you can pretty much have sideline "adventures" that have no bearing on the real world and can explore some really kooky scenarios that way. I've also done a Wizard of Oz metaplane run based on the style of American McGee's Alice and it was a blast, too.

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post Jul 9 2004, 09:00 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (Misfit Toy)
I've done it once before, but it was on a metaplane. I like to use them from time to time when we need a breather in our regular games -- you can pretty much have sideline "adventures" that have no bearing on the real world and can explore some really kooky scenarios that way. I've also done a Wizard of Oz metaplane run based on the style of American McGee's Alice and it was a blast, too.

Say...Think the Tin Man would be a cyberpsychotic full-conversion 'borg?

+Quote Post
tjn
post Jul 9 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

From: Fresno, CFS: taking out one durned furriner at a time.
Member No.: 5,940

One could easily make up scenarios with a zombie-esque feel without trashing the entire world, the key would be to keep the area in question isolated.

In addition to the metaplanes...
  • On a deserted island in the South Pacific.
  • In the deepest darkest part of the Congo.
  • On an antarctic shelf or deep in the Siberian hinterlands.
  • In an undersea arcology.
  • On a space station.
  • Deep in the Sahara or Gobi.
Some of these need a little more work to fit into SR (most notably the space station), but that could lead down some interesting paths IMO.

Plus I've never really liked the trashing the world with zombies. It ruins the horror IMO, as the biggest threat (the world as we know it collapsing) has already happened. What's there to dread any more?

Perhaps I'm too pragmatic, but when the world collapses, it's time to grab a shotgun.

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post Jul 9 2004, 09:14 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (tjn)
One could easily make up scenarios with a zombie-esque feel without trashing the entire world, the key would be to keep the area in question isolated.

In addition to the metaplanes...
  • On a deserted island in the South Pacific.
  • In the deepest darkest part of the Congo.
  • On an antarctic shelf or deep in the Siberian hinterlands.
  • In an undersea arcology.
  • On a space station.
  • Deep in the Sahara or Gobi.
Some of these need a little more work to fit into SR (most notably the space station), but that could lead down some interesting paths IMO.

Plus I've never really liked the trashing the world with zombies. It ruins the horror IMO, as the biggest threat (the world as we know it collapsing) has already happened. What's there to dread any more?

Perhaps I'm too pragmatic, but when the world collapses, it's time to grab a shotgun.

-A top-secret military installation located somewhere out in the desert where dangerous hazmat/dimensional physics experiments are performed...
-A spacebase on Mars...(Yes, I know it needs work...)
-Possibly an ancient cathedral...(Righteous smiting!)

Bonus points to whoever knows what I'm referencing. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Jul 9 2004, 09:19 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

As it has been said, "When the only tool you've got is a shotgun, all problems start looking a lot like zombies."

For inspiration.

I once had the priviledge of overhearing the plotting of players running under a GM friend of mine. One player was running a Voodon, and the other, a demolitions expert. The plan: create zombies, strap explosives to their backs, solve problems. I'm just glad they weren't in my game world....

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jul 9 2004, 09:19 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

"When the world collapses, it's time to grab a shotgun."

I think that has the makings of a quote.

I don't think zombies ruin the genre, per se - we might be accustomed to hearing about mugging, murder and rape on the evening news. But when it happens to us, it's no less terrifying.

Ghouls are still scary - knowing something is going to kill you and eat you is just a little unsettling, even if you understand intellectually what's happening.

What makes a zombie frightening?

1. The human-like appearance
2. The human appearance mixed with obviously dead features (rotting skin, exposed bone, etc.)
3. The imperviousness to casual injury
4. Motivation - "Brains..."

-Siege

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Jul 9 2004, 10:04 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

Why not just use Loup Garou, and have them look like dead guys. That would give a scenario very much like 28 Days After... (Near instant infection, no cure, enhanced physical attributes with animal intellligence, eating the victims...)

+Quote Post
Eismann
post Jul 10 2004, 12:52 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 1,512

You just need a small town far away from anything, a graveyard and a group of shedims. The first shedims take dead bodies from the graveyard and their friends take the dead citizens the first shedims leave behind.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jul 10 2004, 05:23 AM
Post #13

Guests

One of the coolest things I ever saw in gaming was a campaign based on SR rules of users playing themselves in Middle of Nowhere, USA (to explain how they were all gathere together as it was online) trying to survive a zombie attack a la Night of the Living Dead.

The best part was the attrition level of the campaign. Just spectacular.

+Quote Post
theartthief
post Jul 10 2004, 06:27 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,111

QUOTE (Phaeton)

-A top-secret military installation located somewhere out in the desert where dangerous hazmat/dimensional physics experiments are performed...

Hmmm......

Time Splitters 2

- theartthief

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Jul 10 2004, 06:34 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

I ran a little one-shot halloween special shadowrun game wherein the PC's had to hole up in a Shia-center (walmart) to avoid some zombie hordes in a small town they were passing through.

Main problem is that if your party has a rigger or a mage with levitate, zombies just arent scary.

+Quote Post
theartthief
post Jul 10 2004, 06:38 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
Main problem is that if your party has a rigger or a mage with levitate, zombies just arent scary.

What do you do when the zombies roll out the Meat Wagon ™?

Bonus to those that know that this refers to. ;)

- theartthief

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Jul 10 2004, 06:42 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

QUOTE (theartthief)
QUOTE (Jason Farlander @ Jul 10 2004, 01:34 AM)

What do you do when the zombies roll out the Meat Wagon ™?

Bonus to those that know that this refers to. ;)

- theartthief

warcraft 3?

+Quote Post
theartthief
post Jul 10 2004, 06:44 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton)

warcraft 3?

Yes! Give the man a hand.

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Jul 10 2004, 06:48 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

QUOTE (theartthief)
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton @ Jul 10 2004, 01:42 AM)

warcraft 3?

im not that kind of person :oops:

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Jul 10 2004, 06:48 AM
Post #20

Running Target

QUOTE (theartthief)

...Interesting mental image there, given the topic of the thread...

+Quote Post
CircuitBoyBlue
post Jul 10 2004, 06:53 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,215

I have a friend who likes guns a lot. Whenever any of us question him on why he thinks someone should have a firearm, he responds "...zombie attack" Unsettling stuff.

In one of my games I had a magician NPC raising the dead out in the parts of Sinsearach territory that border the ash dunes in Puyallup, but those weren't really infectious, and the players found an amusing way of avoiding ever running into them. But the area where they were frolicking is kind of post-apocalyptic in its own little way, especially the way we play (i.e., screwing up and causing accidental explosions).

+Quote Post
otomik
post Jul 10 2004, 11:38 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

I have a friend who likes guns a lot. Whenever any of us question him on why he thinks someone should have a firearm, he responds "...zombie attack" Unsettling stuff.
have a sense of humor,
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...889433?v=glance
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showth...ghlight=zombies

Harmless fantasies, you'll find that many militia guys are also into science-fiction. I think it's kind of sad though because they feel they need to create these SHTF survival scenarios in their mind in which they can suddenly become a Mad Max Survivalist Badass in a Post-Apocolyptic Libertarian Paradise. But it's probably perfectly normal and every heterosexual male probably has one of those scenarios deep in the back of their mind where their parents are killed and they train for years to become a badass ninja so they can freak out and kill everyone (or mindless conformist "zombies").

That said i have a .22lr pistol which the zombie survival guide recommends as the perfect zombie pistol and that somehow makes me smile.

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post Jul 10 2004, 03:35 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (theartthief)
QUOTE (Phaeton @ Jul 9 2004, 04:14 PM)

Hmmm......

Time Splitters 2

- theartthief

Well, actually, Half-Life, then Doom, THEN TS2, but aye.

*awards bonus points* :D

+Quote Post
GreatChicken
post Jul 10 2004, 05:08 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,286

Question: is it cheaper to build humanoid drones, or take dead cadavers and replace everything with computer stuff so that they behave like drones?

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Jul 10 2004, 05:29 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Drones. By quite a bit. Youd have to replace the brain and the entire nervous system... so thats MBW 1 right there.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:02 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.