IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Space Poll, Poll about interest in space travel
Are you interested in space travel in Shadowrun?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 75
Guests cannot vote 
SirBedevere
post Jul 12 2004, 12:02 PM
Post #1

Knight Templar

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,424

I would be interested to know how much interest there is in the subject of space travel in Shadowrun. I have some ideas mulling around which I will post soon and I'm just interested in peoples responses to the whole idea.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jul 12 2004, 12:04 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,230

I'm not going for planet hopping runners. A run to an orbital platform is okay, but planet hopping? Not my bag.

Don

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jul 12 2004, 12:36 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (SirBedevere)
I would be interested to know how much interest there is in the subject of space travel in Shadowrun. I have some ideas mulling around which I will post soon and I'm just interested in peoples responses to the whole idea.

IMO, the level of space development discussed in Target: Wastelands is adequate for the Shadowrun setting (where a rare runner might make a once-in-a-career run in orbit). Actually, the level displayed in T:WL is overly optimistic but, hey, it's meant to be playable and interesting, so I don't mind needing to suspend my disbelief a bit.

+Quote Post
otomik
post Jul 12 2004, 12:53 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 752

they made space unplayable for most campaigns by banning magic abilities from it, so i'm not interested. if they were to introduce magic into space by saying Halley's comet desposited enough of an ambient manasphere around earth then it's something i'd consider. but you're probably better off getting Transhuman Space books or Cyberpunk's Deep Space book.

Space along with the UK make me think that it was SOP to nuke a place or make it unplayable if there wasn't time to describe it.

+Quote Post
Plastic Rat
post Jul 12 2004, 01:23 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 2,665

No.

Shadowrun is about cyberpunk, gritty, dark cities filled with corruption and lawlesness. It's about the planet, THIS planet and trying to survive here, cause we can't go anywhere else.

If space opened up, it just wouldn't be Shadowrun or even the cyberpunk genre anymore, it would be... Warhamster 40k or Trinity or Alternity.

I'm very glad the writers locked space out. The current level is ALMOST too much. Besides, the silliness I've seen people get up to when just with the normal stuff available, it makes me shudder what would happen if you gave players rocket ships.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jul 12 2004, 01:36 PM
Post #6

Running Target

QUOTE (Plastic Rat)
If space opened up, it just wouldn't be Shadowrun or even the cyberpunk genre anymore, it would be... Warhamster 40k or Trinity or Alternity.

I'm very glad the writers locked space out. The current level is ALMOST too much. Besides, the silliness I've seen people get up to when just with the normal stuff available, it makes me shudder what would happen if you gave players rocket ships.

Cyberpunk 2020 does alright with space travel from a cyberpunk perspective.

In fact, space power is one of the many factors involved in creating a dark and gritty environment, at least in the US. The EU's (or is it EEC in C2020?) grip on the high frontier has given it a tangible edge over the US, enabling it to use mass driver strikes with some impunity against the US. Some flattened cities and government facilities didn't exactly help the US recover from its uber-depression in C2020.

I'm sure with careful handling, additional space travel in SR wouldn't hurt the setting, but could actually reinforce it.

+Quote Post
Cursedsoul
post Jul 12 2004, 01:53 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,689

I think it'd be interesting for specialized campaigns. Smugglers and the like.

Shadowrun could work in space if done properly.

Frankly if you think it's a crappy idea, don't allow it. Pretend it never exists. For me, it would just be another avenue to potentially explore. You don't HAVE to employ it, and if you don't want your players even remotely considering the possibility to just make it abundantly clear that no means no means drop the subject before you get killed by falling toilets.

+Quote Post
Skeptical Clown
post Jul 12 2004, 01:57 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,709

Outer Space is part of Cyberpunk. Not light-speed galaxy hopping, but orbital spacestations and moon bases and other risky, just around the corner space developments. For Shadowrun play, however, the lack of magic is pretty limiting. And space is already limiting. So I don't plan on using space much in any of my games.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Jul 12 2004, 02:06 PM
Post #9

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Bladerunner, one of the defining movies for the genre had space travel. It was talked about, just never shown (aside from the Replicants arriving on a craft they hijacked from another place) so I'd have no problem with it. Considering I've been jonsing for a good space opera game for some time.

+Quote Post
otomik
post Jul 12 2004, 02:13 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 752

http://perso.club-internet.fr/pigface/Inte...on-Williams.htm

Space can be done very cyberpunk, Walther Jon Williams does it very well in Hardwired. not to mention have of Neuromancer takes place in Space. Echo station in particular seems very grungy cyberpunk to me.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jul 12 2004, 02:24 PM
Post #11

Running Target

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Bladerunner, one of the defining movies for the genre had space travel.

Yep. And supposedly, "Soldier," with Kurt Russel, was meant to be in the same setting as Bladerunner. For whatever reason, the connection was never developed when the movie rolled into production.

Another excellent sci-fi movie for extending cyberpunk into space is Outland, with Sean Connery. It's set on a very gritty and realistic mining operation (on Io), that's basically a company town operation (hello, megacorps) where the managers are turning a blind eye to a profitable drug trade. The drug in question bakes the brains of its users after about a year, but in the mean time, it really cranks up their productivity, hence the managers don't mind it (very cyberpunk). Arguably, the movie does focus on a shadowrun as seen from "the other side," that of the marshall (Connery) fighting for his life against a hit squad (runners) sent to re-open the drug trade that Connery squashed. Aside from the unrealistic (but entertaining) explosions of people exposed to a vacuum, the science and technology are pretty realistic. Most of the fighting is done with plain old hunting rifles and shotguns, not a ray gun to be found.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Jul 12 2004, 02:51 PM
Post #12

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

All I have to say: Moon 44 ...

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Jul 12 2004, 03:19 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

That movie rocked.

+Quote Post
Black Isis
post Jul 12 2004, 03:23 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,151

Space travel was something I was always interested in with Shadowrun a long time ago, but after reading Target: Wastelands, I think I have to say I like the level of development the authors decided to put in there. It's enough that it's accessible, but not easily so.

That said, in another setting, I don't think space travel is inherently opposed to cyberpunk. Other people have given a number of examples; from what I can tell, Transhuman Space is a cyberpunk setting where humanity has spread to most of the solar system (I am getting the main rulebook with SoE, so I don't know for sure yet). The one-season TV show Total Recall 2070 had limited space travel as well (with corporate facilities on Mars, outside of government jurisdiction).

+Quote Post
The Grifter
post Jul 12 2004, 03:34 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,918

Hmmm......now I just need a physical adept with a lightsaber weapon foci, and I'm set.

+Quote Post
Diesel
post Jul 12 2004, 03:48 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,955

I'm [still] working on that Shadowrun in the future space game. It's getting better.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 12 2004, 04:31 PM
Post #17

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

SR and cyberpunk are similar bot not the same.

I vote absolutely not.

I do not want the game moved deliberately more scifi. It has enough sci fi for me. Accessible space travel would change the atmosphere tangibly.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jul 12 2004, 06:20 PM
Post #18

Running Target

QUOTE (Black Isis)
Other people have given a number of examples; from what I can tell, Transhuman Space is a cyberpunk setting where humanity has spread to most of the solar system (I am getting the main rulebook with SoE, so I don't know for sure yet).

Transhuman Space has cyber (well, bio and genetech mostly), but not so much punk. Standards of living tend to be high except in some Third World countries, and many nations that have low standards of living relative to other TSH nations have better standards of living than in the modern US. Megacorps are also not portrayed as behind-the-scenes rulers, though they have their influence.

In short, you can find gritty, edgy places in Transhuman Space, but I don't think I could call the setting cyberpunk as a whole.

+Quote Post
Black Isis
post Jul 12 2004, 06:41 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,151

QUOTE (Cray74)
Transhuman Space has cyber (well, bio and genetech mostly), but not so much punk. Standards of living tend to be high except in some Third World countries, and many nations that have low standards of living relative to other TSH nations have better standards of living than in the modern US. Megacorps are also not portrayed as behind-the-scenes rulers, though they have their influence.

In short, you can find gritty, edgy places in Transhuman Space, but I don't think I could call the setting cyberpunk as a whole.

Ah, okay....well, as I said, I don't have the book yet (hopefully it will get here before I go to Boston on Thursday). Still, I'm sure Shadowrun could be run just as well with offworld travel being more commonplace.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Jul 12 2004, 09:19 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

We, my current group, have no expressed intrest in space in our Shadowrun setting as of right now.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Jul 12 2004, 09:57 PM
Post #21

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

My answer was 'yes', but really, it's not a fair question.

It's my opinion that space, added to anything, makes it better. Soup tastes better in space. Toast is crispier, jam jammier. I'd add space to pirates, I'd add space to Samurai, I'd add space to Andy Warhol. Shit, I'd add space to Bunnies and Burrows and I'd be happy. I love my space.

But Shadowrun doesn't need space.

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Jul 13 2004, 12:42 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 5,676

Don't forget, the UCAS (or was it the old USA) made a manned mission to Mars, then refused to tell the public anything about what the mission found. A shadowrun to the face on Mars would be pretty neat. Imagine if you got to Mars, and found out that it has a gaiasphere like Earth, meaning magic is usable there.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Jul 13 2004, 02:01 AM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

I like the fact that they have done something with, and like the "powerness" or "classyness" they done with it (much like Crystal Place in CP2020) but to bring it to a "typical" shadowrun game (IMO) is wrong, i know if i was playing a game with even my most advanced character, i would shit a brick if it went to space.

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post Jul 13 2004, 04:17 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,367

I think I'll wait another thirty or so years (game time) to run in space. At that point there can be a lot more salvaged and derelict space stations for "gritty" shadowrunners to base their operations. As it sits now, space is just too clean. There are not enough shadows yet.

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jul 13 2004, 08:08 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

There is however an adventure in Space.
[ Spoiler ]

Don

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:13 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.