Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ultrasound vision and improved sense adept power
Ken Takai
post Jul 13 2004, 07:39 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,478

Is possible to use ultrasound vision with the Improved sense adept power?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post Jul 13 2004, 07:59 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,677

Take whatever I say as being potentially naive and misinformed, but I'd rule yes. I might even rule that the cost is lowered if you snag the High Frequency Hearing adept power along with it, much like the essence cost of ultrasound vision cyberware is lowered when you get high-freq hearing installed.

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Jul 13 2004, 08:12 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

I'd allow it. You can get any sense that's not completely technological... since bats and dolphins have ultrasound, it seems quite reasonable.

Basically, I'd say you can have any sense with Improved Sense that a critter could reasonably have (so no radio sense or commlink sense).

JaronK

+Quote Post
Ken Takai
post Jul 13 2004, 09:04 PM
Post #4

Target

QUOTE (JaronK)
I'd allow it. You can get any sense that's not completely technological... since bats and dolphins have ultrasound, it seems quite reasonable.

Basically, I'd say you can have any sense with Improved Sense that a critter could reasonably have (so no radio sense or commlink sense).

JaronK

In this case Tremor sense is possible, wow...

I want it...

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Jul 13 2004, 09:08 PM
Post #5

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

Actually, this has been discussed in here before, and from what I remember the consensus was no. The important concept here is that ultrasound *hearing* is fine, because it's actually a sense, and is in fact no different than high-frequency hearing. Ultrasound *vision* however is something else, something more than high-frequency hearing. Ultrasound vision is high-frequency hearing, combined with an emitter and a spacial processor, so no, they're not the same.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jul 13 2004, 09:15 PM
Post #6

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I'd agree with eyeless blond. Technically, you have ultrasound vision when you get high frequency hearing. The problem isn't that you don't have the senses to get the information, your brain is not set up to process the information your ears receive.

If you did have an ultrasound emittor and it was directional, you could probably still get some useful information by listening to the echos, but it wouldn't be as complete as ultrasound vision.

+Quote Post
Ken Takai
post Jul 13 2004, 09:24 PM
Post #7

Target

I think that an important factor is miss, a factor that make ultrasound vision possible.
And this important factor is called Magic. Is a magical power, not an pure body sense.

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Jul 13 2004, 10:55 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Well, I'd agree it wouldn't be vision, it would be hearing... but it would have the same game effects as vision. Perhaps using his mouth as the emitter? Still, I think I have to agree with Ken... it's a magical sense, so it works.

JaronK

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jul 13 2004, 10:57 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Actually, this has been discussed in here before, and from what I remember the consensus was no.

No way has there ever been a consensus on this :P

There's no official rule, Ken. Some people say no, some people say yes. I say it costs double. We're all correct. :)

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Jul 13 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Zazen)
There's no official rule, Ken. Some people say no, some people say yes. I say it costs double. We're all correct. :)

However, it's worth noting that I'm righter than everyone else :)

JaronK

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jul 14 2004, 12:55 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Ken Takai)
Is possible to use ultrasound vision with the Improved sense adept power?

The whole notion of PhysAds using ultrasound as an "improved sense" is reawakening memories of a drugged nun attempting to "speak with the dolphins" in "Hudson Hawk."

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 14 2004, 01:22 AM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

I personally would definitely allow someone to take Ultrasound Receiver as an Adept power, and it'd do all the things ultrasound vision normally would. I would, however, require a technological emitter.

~J

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post Jul 14 2004, 05:14 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,367

No technological emitter required; wear a bat. :D

[EDIT] The mammal, not the big stick. [/EDIT]

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 14 2004, 05:27 AM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

Wear a bat on a bat!

~J

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 14 2004, 05:45 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i personally don't see ultrasonic emission as much more difficult a feat to accomplish than is the ability to see into the infrared part of the spectrum.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jul 14 2004, 06:32 AM
Post #16

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

Call it "echolocation" and you're good to go.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jul 14 2004, 10:14 AM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

The 'extra sense' involved would require three things:

The ability to emit ultra sounds, the ability to hear ultrasounds, and the ability to then turn what you hear into a 'picuture'. I'd say that the adept would have to pay for highfrequency hearing hearing, and pay again for the ability to emit and process the reflected sounds. This makes it cost .5 magic for the total package. Since having ultrasound 'vision' would require high frequency hearing to function at all and we don't want to give the adept this for free, we just make them pay 'twice'.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jul 14 2004, 10:44 AM
Post #18

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (JaronK)
QUOTE (Zazen @ Jul 13 2004, 05:57 PM)

However, it's worth noting that I'm righter than everyone else :)

JaronK

Except me. 8)

Honestly, there hasn't been a consensus on this topic. Maybe this time...

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jul 14 2004, 12:48 PM
Post #19

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

In my game, I allow ultrasound vision as an improved sense adept power, but high-frequency hearing improved sense adept power is a prerequisite.
The cost stays the same, they just have to pick up another sense that they might not've wanted as much. This way they can't use their "ultrasound vision" to "see" high frequency sound and detect it without paying for the high-frequency power, or any other such cheese.
I know there's not much or a precident for that sort of thing in SR, but it seems to work well.

The short answer: I agree completely with Crusher Bob.

+Quote Post
Ken Takai
post Jul 14 2004, 12:57 PM
Post #20

Target

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
In my game, I allow ultrasound vision as an improved sense adept power, but high-frequency hearing improved sense adept power is a prerequisite.
The cost stays the same, they just have to pick up another sense that they might not've wanted as much. This way they can't use their "ultrasound vision" to "see" high frequency sound and detect it without paying for the high-frequency power, or any other such cheese.
I know there's not much or a precident for that sort of thing in SR, but it seems to work well.

The short answer: I agree completely with Crusher Bob.

I'm not sure about that cause i don't have the Man and machine at hand, but if the Ultrasound hearing cyberware y not required for the cyberware Ultrasound vision. Then US hearing must not be required to US vision.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jul 14 2004, 01:03 PM
Post #21

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

I think it's a difference of how the hardware is wired.
Say you have a device that detects high frequency sound. You can wire that device to the eye (along with some other stuff) and get ultrasound vision, or you could wire it to the ear and get high frequency hearing. If you do both, you pay essence twice because it's impacting your brain twice, both in the visual and auditory centers. Remember, essence loss isn't supposed to be about grams of metal and silicon, it's supposed to be about the things impact on you; the reason pacemakers don't cost essence.
I could definitely see a slight Nuyen discount for both devices, but not much.
Of course, someone could bring up the argument that high-frequency hearing and ultrasound might not be talking about the exact same band of sound. High-frequency hearing doesn't specify how high it goes, and ultrasound can operate at many frequencies, different ones being better than others depending on what you're trying to do with it.

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Jul 14 2004, 01:36 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

I'm comfortable with the notion that there are things that Adepts can't do, the same as there are things that a Sammie can't do.

Give the Mundane's their moment in the sun - We get no shortage of folks wanting to play Adepts. Besides - An adept's other vision mods are already better than a Sam's, because they count as 'natural'.

You can't have everything. (But I want it! Waah!)

It's like the folks who want Adept versions of: Smartlinks, balance augmenters, Hydraulic jacks, chemical analyzers, Magnetic limb systems, and BattleTac. Ok, maybe not the last two. But I've heard folks arguing for the others. To be honest, I'm surprised I haven't heard anybody whining for magical bonelacing.

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jul 14 2004, 01:51 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

Look at it the other way around. Bone Lacing cyberware roughly = Enhanced physical attribute, Mystic Armor, and Killing Hands. Quite a few adept powers can be broken down into cyberware equivalents. Maybe it's in the fiction in the 2nd ed Basic Book, but I think I remember seeing something like "She had magic which the rest of us needed cyberware to match".

Don

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 15 2004, 01:10 AM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (mfb)
i personally don't see ultrasonic emission as much more difficult a feat to accomplish than is the ability to see into the infrared part of the spectrum.

No, but it's different philosophically. It's like letting an improved sense mimic a desklamp.

~J

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Jul 15 2004, 01:48 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Well, to have thermo vision you need the ability to see infrared and then turn that into a picture... to have direction sense you need some sort of ability to detect your position on earth... to have flare compensation, well, that's even weirder.

JaronK

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:20 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.