IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NPC Databases, What does everyone use? (If anything?)
Tyron
post Jul 15 2004, 06:39 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,329

Hey everyone.

Currently I'm working on building NPC's for a campaign I'll be running in the future, and I've been wanting to make a database of the NPC's on my lab top. So far I've been using just Word to store the information, but I'm not very happy with using that program for this particular purpose.

So what I want to ask to all the GM's out there, do any of you use a program or database to store NPC stats and information, and if so, which one do you use?(And information about where to find it)

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Jul 15 2004, 07:10 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

I just use a home-brew MS-Access DB with a basic UI for the stats and notes. Flexible and easy to use.

blackjack.dumpshock.com is a good reference I use from time to time.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jul 15 2004, 07:38 PM
Post #3

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Excel. Not like you need Oracle to store this stuff..

+Quote Post
Tyron
post Jul 15 2004, 07:42 PM
Post #4

Target

Fair enough. I was actually kind of hoping for a home made program that someone had made that could be pointed out to me. :D

Andy Adamzack's GM tools looked promising...but he hasn't updated it in like a year and it still needs a lot of work.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Jul 15 2004, 08:29 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

I've found that it only takes about 5 minutes to whip one up in nsrcg.
Then, once you've got your basic 50 point (or whatever) model, you can spend about two minutes each making modified versions like adding 50 karma for a higher rank (gang liutenant, or security sergent), the add another 50 karma and :nuyen: 100K in ware for the leader or watch commander, etc etc etc....
Anyway, it works for me.

+Quote Post
Azrael
post Jul 16 2004, 06:43 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 131

I'll agree with Grinder, Access is quick and useful. Spent about an hour setting the forms and reports up, and then however many NPCs you have.

If you have Access, but don't want to spend the time, drop us a line and I can send you mine empty.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Jul 16 2004, 11:30 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

In my Mind!!

(Sorry been watching too much Eddie Izzard, i'll go now)

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Jul 16 2004, 01:23 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Tyron)
Hey everyone.

Currently I'm working on building NPC's for a campaign I'll be running in the future, and I've been wanting to make a database of the NPC's on my lab top. So far I've been using just Word to store the information, but I'm not very happy with using that program for this particular purpose.

So what I want to ask to all the GM's out there, do any of you use a program or database to store NPC stats and information, and if so, which one do you use?(And information about where to find it)

Thanks!

A scratch sheet. IMG, each recurring NPC gets a few lines mentioning personality and noteworthy features, enough to jog my memory for how they fit into the storyline. It's not like many of them need stats - the PCs don't fight every NPC they encounter, and they rarely even have tests against most of them.

The ones they do fight are usually red shirts or disposable rentacops that just need a generic set of stats.

I use Word for PCs, but that's a different matter.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jul 16 2004, 02:38 PM
Post #9

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

Eventually, I'll be expanding the DCRS to show character sheets in a more succinct fashion -- probably right around the same time that my hosting company gets me PHP 5!! Then, the characters marked as PC And NPC in the DCRS database online would be viewable and printable for instant NPCs in you gamges. This isn't available yet, though.

+Quote Post
Tyron
post Jul 16 2004, 03:36 PM
Post #10

Target

If you have Access, but don't want to spend the time, drop us a line and I can send you mine empty.

If you wouldn't mind, that would be awesome! I haven't used Access in like years, so I'm kind of rusty with with, so it would probably take me even longer than usual to set everything up. :oops:

I'll drop you a PM, to give you my email address and all that good stuff. Thanks!

+Quote Post
DV8
post Jul 16 2004, 09:44 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 116

MySQL/PHP/OpenBSD

+Quote Post
Azrael
post Jul 17 2004, 06:26 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 131

A couple of yous have dropped me a line interested in getting a copy my database - more than happy to help (check your PMs)

If anyone else is interested, if you send me a message, let us know what version access you have and whether you want me to dump all my NPCs out of it (all are 2nd ed archetypes or my own concoction)

Cheers.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jul 17 2004, 02:35 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Heh - it's given me an idea on how to practice my Access skills. :grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:12 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.