IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Beta Version of OS X Firearm Designer, Version 1.1 with improvements, printing
ShadowGhost
post Jul 15 2004, 09:20 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,928

Hey folks, I've got a new beta version of the Firearm Designer, fixing a few bugs and adding some new functions.

ShadowGhost's OS X SR3 Firearm Designer

"Save As" added.

Printing and Page Setup enabled - plain vanilla text, but has all the info for the firearm.

Main Window now much smaller - almost half the previous window size so it takes up less screen real estate.

Note: Street Index and Availability are not Canon. I simply created an average availability which is multiplied by the FCU of the base firearm frame to determine final availability of the customized firearm when bought, instead of built.

Don't like the Availability the program creates - use your own.

Beta Version 1.1 bug fixes and changes:

Several checkboxes that wouldn't let you uncheck them when FCU= 0

Shock Pad corrected to weight of .25, not 2

Belt feed is now an extra option for heavy weapons in addition to clip fed ammo, rather than exclusively either belt fed or clip fed.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kesh
post Jul 16 2004, 09:26 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,958

Oooh. Screengrabs look nice.

I'll try out both of these apps (though I don't have CC so I can't comment much on the firearm creation rules).

+Quote Post
Rajaat99
post Jul 16 2004, 01:55 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,166

Mac only, or Win too?

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Jul 16 2004, 05:46 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

I've updated the screen captures on my website to show the new Beta Version - didn't have time yesterday.

You can see the smaller screen footprint of it at my website:

ShadowGhost's OSX Shadowrun Software Website

If you don't see a color background on the main frame of the website, you'll need to refresh/reload the page.

Sorry - until I have an extra $360US to spare to get the Professional Version of RealBasic, I can only compile for OSX. The Pro Version allows you to compile for Mac and Windows.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 16 2004, 05:49 PM
Post #5

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

Would it be possible to get a copy of this in a format that more than 2.9% of all home computer owners can use? :D Looks interesting!

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Jul 16 2004, 05:52 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Based on a comment in the other thread, send him :nuyen: 360... er $360 and he can compile it for Windows and OldMac. Or someone who has already made that purchase could be convinced to compile it for more dominant OSes.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jul 16 2004, 06:20 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (BitBasher)
Would it be possible to get a copy of this in a format that more than 2.9% of all home computer owners can use? :D Looks interesting!

A Windows firearm designer has been available for a long time now.

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Jul 16 2004, 07:46 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (BitBasher)
Would it be possible to get a copy of this in a format that more than 2.9% of all home computer owners can use?

Oh, you mean a Mac OS 9 version? :eek:

Actually, the upgrade to Pro (compile Mac/Windows version) is $299US, which I don't have.

I might consider accepting Paypal donations, but that sounds cheesy at the moment.

As for the 2.9% figure.... well, Windows users have had an edge in SR software for years. I'm just leveling the playing field a little for the Mac side. (nothing against PCs, I have a great PC! Along with one Mac Powerbook, and one Mac Tower).

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 16 2004, 08:22 PM
Post #9

There's nothing at all wrong with mac's I just didn't know one was available for windows. :)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 16 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (BitBasher)

Dude, this is Mac software, not Linux software ;)

(Seriously, though, installed base is estimated at closer to 10%)

~J

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 16 2004, 10:51 PM
Post #11

Actually that 2.9% figure was from an article I read yesterday that included both *nix variants and Apple. Apple had 2.7% and *nix was at .2%. This was for desktops only, not servers. :D

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jul 16 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

I honestly have to ask why you guys are so interested in a gun creation program that uses the rules from the CC. The program looks nice, but the rules are so insane as to be almost literally useless.

The other features of that program, though, look pretty nice. Would like to see a Windows version if at all possible.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 16 2004, 10:59 PM
Post #13

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Arethusa)
the rules are so insane as to be almost literally useless.

But the rules conform to canon, making them useful.

The more important use, however, is that it's a design program for OSX. It's another step towards more such software, regardless of how much functionality this particular step provides.

~J

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Jul 16 2004, 11:18 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

I personally like the rules for gun creation. May not be realistic, but they do keep game balance working.

As I said, Mac Users have been way behind the 8-Ball when it comes to SR3 software. Sure there's three or four out there, but nowhere near the amount for PC.

This was the first program I created, so I was learning everything as I went along.

I intend to get back to the GM Pocket Secretary program soon, and post a limited Beta release.

I just need to add two features (be able to remove unused/dead NPCs), and a cloning feature so if you want several "generic" characters to have the same stats, you can just hit a Command Key Combo and have X number of duplicates instantly.

I have to say, I *LOVE* Dashifen's group generator. I'd been planning to eventually add something similar. That's a very high, and cool standard to live up to.

BTW, Firearm Designer Beta 1.2 is now posted, with a bunch of fixes.

+Quote Post
Kesh
post Jul 17 2004, 03:42 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

I like it. My only complaint so far, is that I could not select either folding or fixed stocks for SMGs or assault rifles. Is this a problem with the CC rules, or the program?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 17 2004, 03:46 AM
Post #16

Manus Celer Dei

SMGs sounds like a bug. Assault rifles already have fixed stocks factored in.

~J

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jul 17 2004, 05:08 AM
Post #17

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

Any chance the Firearms Prices the Sensible Way optional rule could be worked into the program at some time? :-)

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Jul 17 2004, 05:50 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Thanks for the comments and corrections guys.

SMG with no stock options definitely needs to be fixed. According to the CC;

"Rifles and Shotguns may not have this modification."

Since "Assault Rifle" is a rifle (technically), I believe it cannot take this option as well.

I will also be fixing the Mode Display, as it right now only shows SA, not matter what options are picked :( Spent too much time trying making sure only the proper firing modes could be selected for each weapon type, and not enough to make sure it showed in the stats box, and printing.

Thanks for the bug reports. I'll be making changes and posting a new version after the weekend.

As for Firearm Prices the Sensible way, you can always use the tables in conjunction with the program. I'd prefer to keep it as canon as possible. It's meant for people to be able to design and build a gun themselves following the rules, or have one built for them through a Gunsmith, paying *really* high premiums and availability. CC doesn't have any rules for purchasing custom designed weapons, which is why I added the extra street index and availability ratings.

As for why they're so high? (IMO) Weapons dealers are a dime a dozen. Lots of people can make custom modifications, but damn few can make weapons from scratch, as it requires a B/R skill for each weapon type (Light Pistol, Hold-Out, Shotgun, etc, etc.).

So custom made weapons probably have a signature craftsmanship style of the gunsmith that could be identified a lot more readily than who sold a particular Ceska Skorpion used to mow down that Lonestar Officer on the Seattle docks. The more custom it is, the easier it probably is to identify who might have made it.

Another thing about Firearm Prices the Sensible way, is the huge mess of legal red tape for a character to get all the licensing, federal permits etc, to build and manufacture weapons on a mass scale.

Most Shadowrunners really don't want to put their past in the blinding spotlight of federal and state scrutiny required for gun manufacturers & wholesale retailers.

But that's just my humble opinion.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

+Quote Post
Domino
post Jul 17 2004, 06:40 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,800

Um, the prices the sensible way isn't for runners mass producing guns but for GMs to introduce new guns the Megas are producing. Hopefuly something without a gas vent 2. ;)

+Quote Post
Kesh
post Jul 18 2004, 03:48 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

I'd have to debate the idea that ARs cannot have folding stocks, since I've seen AK-47s and H&K G36s with folding stocks. Generally, I wouldn't consider those SMGs. :)

{Edit} Then again, I've also seen shotguns with them, so who knows. :rotate:

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 18 2004, 04:00 AM
Post #21

I'd have to debate the idea that ARs cannot have folding stocks, since I've seen AK-47s and H&K G36s with folding stocks. Generally, I wouldn't consider those SMGs.
Cause they're probably carbines.

+Quote Post
Kesh
post Jul 19 2004, 03:00 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Hrm. Possibly. Does CC take carbines into account?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 19 2004, 03:05 AM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

Not in the least.

~J

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Jul 19 2004, 04:28 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kesh @ Jul 18 2004, 03:48 AM)
I'd have to debate the idea that ARs cannot have folding stocks, since I've seen AK-47s and H&K G36s with folding stocks.

Having looked back over a bunch of things, I think the fine folks at Fasa left something out when working on the CC gun design, and that's recoil comp. (I'm sure some people think they left a lot of things out, but I'll try to stick to the topic at hand :D )

The reason to add a Rigid or Folding Stock to Pistol/SMG etc is to provide a point of Recoil Comp.

Shotguns, Assault Rifles, and Rifles already have a stock, whether folding or rigid, which *does not* provide recoil comp under CC Gun Design rules. Ideally, they should already have a point of built in recoil comp.

But this ain't an ideal world. Unfortunately, stocks don't provide RC under base frames for Shotguns, Assault Rifles, and Rifles, hence the reason you can't add stocks to them and get a bonus RC.

That being said, I don't see why those who don't like the rules can't bend them to suit their needs to replace a rigid stock with a folding stock for the extra price/fcu/DP.

Eventually I may add a preference option to allow this (choice of folding or rigid stock), and add the concealment of the folding stock to the weapon, but not the extra point of recoil comp a stock normally provides to the smaller weapons.

I'll post a new version of the Firearm Designer late tomorrow. For now, I'm concentrating on getting a Beta version of the GM Pocket Secretary ready soon.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 19 2004, 04:43 AM
Post #25

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (ShadowGhost)
Shotguns, Assault Rifles, and Rifles already have a stock, whether folding or rigid, which *does not* provide recoil comp under CC Gun Design rules. Ideally, they should already have a point of built in recoil comp.

Arguably, they already do. A rifle without a stock will certainly be harder to control than a pistol without a stock.

Where it breaks down isn't where rifles don't get stock recoil, it's where the few rifle-class weapons that do have folding stocks (SPAS-22) don't get recoil penalties for operating when folded and do get a bonus when deployed.

~J

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:22 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.