Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ranged vs. Melee Question, gun on fist
Azryl
post Jul 17 2004, 04:02 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,595

Can a defender use a firearm(pistol) to defend against a melee attack, if the defender already has the gun drawn.

Example: Bad guy drawns gun and points it at the PCs, PC #1 runs at bad guy and does a melee attack. Can bad guy shoot PC as his defense roll?

If there is a rule somewhere then i missed it. If there's not then I ask the all wise(ass) dumpshockers for their opinion. :D
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Jul 17 2004, 04:05 AM
Post #2

UMS O.G.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,335

No.

He could theoretically use it as a club though if he had the skill. Otherwise he has to wait until his turn to shoot taking either the movement penalty (if fleeing) or the shooting while engaged in HTH combat.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jul 17 2004, 04:35 AM
Post #3

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

NT got most of it, but there's a few details that need to be clarified.

Basically, if the PC has initiative, and manages to close on him before the stooge's iaction, the guard can't shoot just then. That's the penalty of being slow. The stooge now has to defend with his clubs skill. If he doesn't have one, he's in for it. Once the stooge's action comes around, assuming he's still alive, he may opt to take a shot at a +2 penalty for being engaged in melee.

Now, this all assumes that the PC's have the higher initiative or surprise. If the guard has initiative or surprise, it's a different story. If the guard has the higher initiative, he can declare a held action: to shoot the first person who makes a hostile move. Now, when Melee PC charges, he *will* be shot at, at the ususal TN. From there, it progresses as described above.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Jul 18 2004, 12:32 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

I would say to Cain, that the goon could use Clubs or Unarmed Combat :) At least with a pistol in hand. For something taking up both hands, probably not.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jul 18 2004, 12:42 AM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

QUOTE (Cain)
he may opt to take a shot at a +2 penalty for being engaged in melee.

Might want to check with your GM on whether or not that penalty exists. The rule isn't explicit and other readings are possible.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 18 2004, 01:56 AM
Post #6

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
QUOTE (Cain)
he may opt to take a shot at a +2 penalty for being engaged in melee.

Might want to check with your GM on whether or not that penalty exists. The rule isn't explicit and other readings are possible.

How else would you interpret it?

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Jul 18 2004, 02:46 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

QUOTE (SR3 @ p.112)
Attacker in Melee Combat
If the attacker is attempting to conduct a ranged attack while engaged in melee combat with another opponent, or if he is aware of another character trying to block his attack within two meters of him, the attack suffers a +2 modifier per opponent

I don't see the optional interpretation. Can anyone shed some light on that?

+Quote Post
Domino
post Jul 18 2004, 03:03 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,800

QUOTE (Luke Hardison)
I don't see the optional interpretation. Can anyone shed some light on that?

Yes, less sleep and more drugs.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Jul 18 2004, 05:35 AM
Post #9

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

If you want the other interpretation, here it is.

If I'm in melee combat only with Sammy, and I try to shoot Sammy, then I'm not engaged in melee combat with another opponent, just the one I'm shooting. Therefore the penalty doesn't apply.

That's the other interpretation.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jul 18 2004, 06:31 AM
Post #10

Grand Master of Run-Fu

...And that's where the other half of the sentence comes into play. If he's aware that someone within two meters of him is going to try and block the attack-- and someone who's facing you in melee is almost certainly going to try!-- then the penalty applies.

Granted, if he's not aware of an opponent within two meters, then your interpretation could make some sense. Natch, that means said shooter is going to have a lot more problems real quick....

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jul 18 2004, 04:34 PM
Post #11

Dragon

"Trying to block his attack..." is also open to interpretation. I selectively apply the penalty where it makes some sort of sense (since melees can be quite spread out). Some guy attacking with a reach 2 weapon and you're trying to shoot him with a pistol? No penalty. Some guy attacking with a knife and you're trying to shoot him with a rifle? Penalty.

Frankly, if you bring a knife to a gunfight and you're not good enough to toast the guy in one round, you're going to get what you deserve with or without the +2 penalty.

+Quote Post
Dice
post Jul 19 2004, 12:17 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Cain)
...And that's where the other half of the sentence comes into play. If he's aware that someone within two meters of him is going to try and block the attack-- and someone who's facing you in melee is almost certainly going to try!-- then the penalty applies.

Granted, if he's not aware of an opponent within two meters, then your interpretation could make some sense. Natch, that means said shooter is going to have a lot more problems real quick....

Ummm... the other half of the clause also includes the phrasing 'another character'...

So technically if you are in melee with the person you intend to shoot and no other characters are interfereing, then you suffer no penatly... provided you can rules-lawyer the GM with a straight face.

+Quote Post
Aesir
post Jul 19 2004, 12:37 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 5,887

come on! There has to be a penalty trying to shoot at someone who is close enough to grab your weapon or push it away. I don´t care what the precise words are, that has to be the meaning.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 19 2004, 12:42 AM
Post #14

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

"another character" is a person besides the shooter, if it was a third person the penalty was referring to that's not "another character" that's "a third combatant"

Either way, I'm the GM for my game and my players agree with this. We also do it that if your last action was to aim and fire a gun ignoring melee combat, then you have +2 to your defensive melee Combat rolls. Prepare to eat some fist.

+Quote Post
Necrotic Monkey
post Jul 19 2004, 12:46 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,488

<just arghs at the "interpretations" herein>

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 19 2004, 01:37 AM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

you can interpret the wording to mean that, but since it doesn't jive with reality, there's no reason to do so. it's hard enough to maintain realism with the rules already; why would you work extra-hard to divorce them even further from reality?

+Quote Post
durthang
post Jul 19 2004, 03:12 AM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 5,668

Not being a rules lawyer, I'm not going to worry too much about the exact phrasing. Realisticly speaking, if a troll has just finished trying to punch/kick my teeth in, I'm not going to be shooting as well as I would without that little distraction. Hence a +2 penalty, whether it be at the troll or someone 50 meters away.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jul 19 2004, 03:19 AM
Post #18

Dragon

It doesn't jive with reality that the same penalty is applied to both of these scenarios, either:

A: Melee character has a combat axe (approximatly 2 meter reach) and is using his full reach. Ranged character has a cyber pistol implanted in his hand.

B: Melee character has a short bladed knife. Ranged character is holding an assault rifle.

Not that I think it particularly matters. If you get shot from 1-2 m away by a guy with half a skill, it's not going to be pretty even with the +2 TN modifier for him to hit.

While it might be distracting to have someone trying to pummel you while you're trying to shoot them, it's also distracting for a melee combatant to have to avoid getting a gun pointed at him... there's no melee penalty for fighting someone holding a gun (I know they're not the same level of distraction, but you'd think it would have some effect, even if it were small, possibly canceling out a point or reach or something).

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Jul 19 2004, 04:15 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

Just to make things more confusing, I allow herding or zoning to work with a firearms attacker if at close range, too. Though, if you have it, disarming or disorient might be more effective.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jul 19 2004, 02:46 PM
Post #20

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Tink: Using a reach 2 weapon, it's actually fairly easy to deflect someone's hand-held item. I can't testify to your exact scenario, but imagine using a polearm in the SCA against someone holding a light crossbow, and it gets pretty close.

The larger blade and extra reach means I don't have to move as much to score hits-- and the other guy is going to be too busy trying to avoid being shish-kabobed to be able to aim accurately. That, plus the fact that it only takes one twist for me to deflect his weapon, is why the penalties are closer than you might initially think.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jul 19 2004, 02:56 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
While it might be distracting to have someone trying to pummel you while you're trying to shoot them, it's also distracting for a melee combatant to have to avoid getting a gun pointed at him... there's no melee penalty for fighting someone holding a gun (I know they're not the same level of distraction, but you'd think it would have some effect, even if it were small, possibly canceling out a point or reach or something).

Aside from not being as much of a distraction, Unarmed and Armed Combat skills are nearly always used in an environment where you must at the same time deal damage and avoid being damaged by the enemy. The additional distraction from fighting someone with a pistol over fighting someone with a knife is not that big.

On the other hand, firearms skills are supposed to be used without any enemy in melee attack range. You are supposed to have free reign over your weapon.

Aside from that, practical experience shows that firing at someone in melee is a heck of a lot more difficult than at 5 meters. Never tried or heard it tried with a pistol against a polearm -- I guess it might be slightly less difficult than in unarmed combat, but I seriously doubt it would be anywhere near as easy as without anyone trying to slap you silly.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 19 2004, 04:28 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

yes. just as it's a bad idea to bring a knife to a gun fight, it's an equally bad idea to bring a gun to a knife fight. guns are superior to knives, of course, but their superiority lies in their range and their ease of use--if you're close enough that the other guy can stab you, you've lost the advantage of range. the advantage in ease of use comes into play when you shoot at the guy trying to stab you (with a +2 penalty), and he doesn't get to counterattack with his own skill.

that said, i've come up with a pretty cool adept power that allows you to counterattack when someone in melee range uses a ranged attack against you. your counterattack negates your chance to dodge the ranged attack, and staging the damage of your attack up requires 4 successes per level--but you're effectively allowed to use your melee skill to dodge, as long as the shooter is close enough to punch.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jul 19 2004, 07:37 PM
Post #23

Dragon

I'm not saying that it's not hard, in most cases, to bring a firearm to bear in close quarters. It is, and even more so when someone is trying to cause you a serious injury. I'd argue that for some combinations (the rifle vs. the knife) the book's penalties are too light.

However, take the other case I mentioned. A polearm against an implant pistol. In this case the person with the polearm is using the reach of the weapon to his advantage to keep his opponent's ability to strike him in melee combat to a minimum (by lowering or raising a combat TN). He is not necessarily 2m away from his foe at all times, but he is certainly not as up close and personal as a knife fighter would need to be. The guy with the implant weapon doesn't exactly have a gun to pin, and aiming for him is almost as simple as aiming his hand at the other guy. I would not apply a ranged fire penalty in that case because of the distance between the combatants and the relative size of the firer's weapon.

In fact, it's deja vu all over again. From the thread where we discussed this exact same thing last time, here is my suggestion for expanding the penalty to be more realistic in a fashion:

QUOTE (Tinkergnome)
Something like a base TN modifier of +2 plus:

Defender's reach -reach (max -2)
Attacker's weapon is:
Conceal 6 or greater or cybernetic +0
Conceal 4-5 +2
Conceal less than 4 +4

+Quote Post
Necrotic Monkey
post Jul 19 2004, 07:49 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,488

If the gunman were actively engaged in melee combat with a melee weapon, applying the benefits of Reach and other unarmed modifiers would make sense. As it stands, the gunman isn't fighting back. He's just trying to aim and fire his weapon with his opponent slapping it around and otherwise making it hard for him to aim. Reach doesn't play a part there; it's just as easy for a skilled attacker to do it with his hands as it is a polearm.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Jul 19 2004, 07:55 PM
Post #25

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

If someone charges me while I have a pistol in hand, he's going to be pistol whipped (since in SR logic, I can't shoot a charging person but I can engage in slower melee combat). As a GM I'd run, Unarmed (or default) with Str-1L DMG for the pistol whipping.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.