IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Invisibility and "Sensing" the target?
malichai
post Jul 17 2004, 10:49 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,874

Topic came up today for some reason where someone is reading into the line that you don't get the Blind Fire penalty if you can somehow "sense" the person who's invisible... what this person said was that if they could see shell casings hitting the floor, or see a door swing open, or footprints on the floor, that they don't get the Blind Fire penalty. I thought they were smoking crack, since even if you have Ultrasound vision, you're target modifier is +4, but figured I'd throw it to the board and see what ya'll had to say.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Jul 17 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

I would certainly still give the blind fire penalty. If they have some actual indication of where the guy is standing, maybe alter it to +6 or +4 (but that would have to be some serious indication)

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 17 2004, 11:25 PM
Post #3

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Seeing shell casings flying or a door opening would give a chance to hit an invisible character, but wouldn't provide enough information for acurate shooting. The characters don't know if the invisible person's gun ejects left or right, or if the invisible person is entering the room or leaving it.
If they have no idea where the invisible character is, then they wouldn't even be able to blindly fire. For all they know, the invisible character could be behind them. Blind firing should at least require knowing a general direction.

Sensing, I believe, means using senses that aren't at all effected by invisibility, like astral perception, thermosense, or vehicle sensors.

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Jul 17 2004, 11:34 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

If you sense the person, then you get the blind fire penalty. If you can't sense them, you can't shoot at all, since you don't know they're there.

JaronK

+Quote Post
Necrotic Monkey
post Jul 17 2004, 11:37 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,488

Right. You can find another example of this in the Termosense Organ entry in Man & Machine. Having a general idea of where a target is but unable to see them still nets you the Blind Fire penalty, and that's all "sensing them" gives you.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jul 18 2004, 06:11 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

Definitely apply Blind Fire.

You can give a bonus depending on how good the indication is. Shell casings are kinda weak, but footprints are pretty good and might be worth a little TN reduction. That's all part of GM whim, though, and should only be done after first applying Blind Fire.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Jul 18 2004, 06:25 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

Knowing there is in fact a target, over not knowing anything, gives you the oppertunaty to use blind fire. without sensing a target what you going to do? walking into every room and hose it down with lead on the off chance?

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jul 18 2004, 06:30 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Oh, All the time. Sometimes before walking into a room, I'll randomly thorw a grenade in there, to be sure that I won't get any surprises ;)

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jul 18 2004, 06:40 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

If you did that a lot, I'd wait 'till you go inside and have have the structural integrity of the floor surprise you :P

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Jul 19 2004, 09:24 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (JaronK)
If you sense the person, then you get the blind fire penalty. If you can't sense them, you can't shoot at all, since you don't know they're there.

I love letting folks shoot at the empty space and I *require* they pick a general direction if they are using blind fire (can't see the target). If the obscured target is close to where they are shooting, then I apply +8, other wise I let them roll and, "shwoosh" you miss.

Keep in mind too, if they don't have the skill (aka Default) they will automatically fail an attempt a task with a TN >8. This is great with those using weapons they have no skill in.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jul 19 2004, 09:37 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

At work so no books with me, but this thought occurred to me. So what about suppression fire instead of blind fire? If you 'think' there might be something down the hall and you choose to unload a hail of bullets, or a part of a room for that matter, how does this work in relation to the invisible target?

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Jul 19 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

QUOTE (PBTHHHHT)
At work so no books with me, but this thought occurred to me. So what about suppression fire instead of blind fire? If you 'think' there might be something down the hall and you choose to unload a hail of bullets, or a part of a room for that matter, how does this work in relation to the invisible target?

You suppress an area, and visibility penalties are not applied to a suppression test. If the invisible person is in your field of suppression, they have to make a dodge test just like every other person in the area.

+Quote Post
PBTHHHHT
post Jul 19 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,327

Gotcha, great solution for the crazy assault rifle toting gunslingers.

Though, I'll probably pass on that option unless it's the last resort.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 10:56 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.