Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spell Design: Electronic Invisibility, A Variation on Improved Invisibility
The Question Man
post Jul 18 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,722

Hoi Chummers, need some help with a Spell Design. A paranoid magician friend of mine wants a spell that makes him invisible to all electronic devices, but visible to the naked/unaugmented eye.

Comments and Suggestion solicited

QM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 18 2004, 09:46 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Shouldn't be difficult. Lemme see if I can dig up a copy of MitS.

~J

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Jul 18 2004, 09:48 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

Could just cast Improved Invisibility at Force 1 using only one die on the casting test (if you don't make the success, try again... it's not like you'll have to worry about the Drain, at Force 1, with your entire Spell Pool available to soak with). Inanimate objects don't get resistance tests, and will therefore be affected, but, with only 1 success and a TN 1 to resist, people will always see through it unless they botch their resistance test.

+Quote Post
Necrotic Monkey
post Jul 18 2004, 09:49 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,488

It's Improved Invisibility with the Very Restricted Target (Technological Sensors) spell modifier. That gives it a Drain Code of +1(L). It is otherwise identical to Improved Invisibility.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 18 2004, 09:52 PM
Post #5

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (John Campbell)
Could just cast Improved Invisibility at Force 1 using only one die on the casting test (if you don't make the success, try again... it's not like you'll have to worry about the Drain, at Force 1, with your entire Spell Pool available to soak with). Inanimate objects don't get resistance tests, and will therefore be affected, but, with only 1 success and a TN 1 to resist, people will always see through it unless they botch their resistance test.

Won't work. A Spell has a minimum force to work on a technological device. What that is escapes me at this moment, of course, I could also be smoking crack. I swear I remember that though.

+Quote Post
Cheesy Answer
post Jul 18 2004, 09:59 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 6,472

SR3, pg. 182 - The Force of the spell must be equal to or greater than half the Object Resistance, rounded down, for it to affect an object.

The sentences before seem to imply that that's only the case when the object is the target of the spell. In the case of invisibility, the target is the caster, not whatever is observing him/her. So it's pretty open to interpretation.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 18 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (John Campbell)

But they get smacked around by Active Sensors, which are completely and utterly unaffected by invis of either variety.

~J

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Jul 18 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,928

Of course, if you roll a one on your sorcery test (16.6% chance with one die) you're screwed.

Illusions spells have no threshold for fooling electronic devices, and they don't physically affect it, so there is no minimum force.

+Quote Post
Necrotic Monkey
post Jul 18 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Cheesy Answer)
The sentences before seem to imply that that's only the case when the object is the target of the spell. In the case of invisibility, the target is the caster, not whatever is observing him/her. So it's pretty open to interpretation.

Nope. The person the spell is cast on is the Subject. Those affected by the spell are the Targets. The sensors/devices are definitely the Target of the spell.

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Jul 18 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Cheesy Answer)
In the case of invisibility, the target is the caster, not whatever is observing him/her. So it's pretty open to interpretation.

Backwards - the SUBJECT of the spell is the caster, the TARGET of the spell is whoever looks at the caster.

Imp. Inv. has a TN of 4. Period. Unlike Powerball, which has a TN of Body, and then states "The TN for non-living targets can be found on the object resistance table."

Spells that require the Object Resistance Table will state it, like Analyze Device, etc.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 18 2004, 10:11 PM
Post #11

That's what I was looking for, for invis to work on cameras it needs to be higher than half the OR. Since cameras have an OR of 8 more than likely the invis has to be at force 5, because the camera is the target of the spell. One sucess on a force 5 spell is all that is needed and the camera automatically is fooled since it does not get to resist.

Force one Improved Invisibility doesn't pay off. You can get enough raw sucesses to fool living things if you have enough dice, but against technology it fails automatically.

EDIT:
And the subject is not the caster. The subject is whatever the caster made invisible, which is not always the caster. If the caster cast this on Spanky Bill then Spanky Bill is the subject, and everyone looking at Spanky Bill is the target.

+Quote Post
Cheesy Answer
post Jul 18 2004, 10:17 PM
Post #12

Target

Looks like you're right. Pretty screwed up though, how whatever an invisibility spell affects is called the subject, and whatever a mask spell affects is called the target. Meh.

+Quote Post
Necrotic Monkey
post Jul 18 2004, 10:25 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Nope. Mask works the same way. In fact, pretty much all spells work that way. It's just in most cases the subject and the target are the same thing, so they're just called a target.

+Quote Post
Cheesy Answer
post Jul 18 2004, 10:29 PM
Post #14

Target

Works the same way, but the description still refers to the person it's cast at as the target instead of the subject. A matter of semantics, but annoying nonetheless.

+Quote Post
Necrotic Monkey
post Jul 18 2004, 10:37 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

That's because Magic in the Shadows is the book that defined the two terms. In the main book, they use both terms interchangably. They like to confuse people.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 18 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (Necrotic Monkey)
That's because Magic in the Shadows is the book that defined the two terms. In the main book, they use both terms interchangably. They like to confuse people.

Aye, that they do. They should really correct a lot of those phrases in a future printing.

+Quote Post
Cheesy Answer
post Jul 18 2004, 10:40 PM
Post #17

Target

Sucks that I don't have Magic in the Shadows, then. :(

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Jul 18 2004, 11:00 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (BitBasher)
That's what I was looking for, for invis to work on cameras it needs to be higher than half the OR. Since cameras have an OR of 8 more than likely the invis has to be at force 5, because the camera is the target of the spell.

Where is this listed?

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 18 2004, 11:06 PM
Post #19

Cheezy answer already quoted this at the top of the thread... so credit for this goes to him (him right?).

QUOTE (SR3 @ pg. 182)
- The Force of the spell must be equal to or greater than half the Object Resistance, rounded down, for it to affect an object.

Er... make my above post force 4 to affect cameras, 4 is half or greater than their OR of 8. I mistakenly read it as greater than half not half or greater.

+Quote Post
Cheesy Answer
post Jul 18 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #20

Target

Yes, him. :P

I think he's asking you where you got the OR of the camera.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 18 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #21

Yes, him. :P
You never know man, and sometimes gender specific pronouns sound less impersonal and more friendly. :D

I think he's asking you where you got the OR of the camera.
OH! Then I misunderstood completely. it's from:

QUOTE (BBB p. 182 @ Object Resistance Table)
Manufactured high-Tech Objects and Materials
(Advanced plastics, Alloys, Electronic Equipment)....OR 8

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 18 2004, 11:33 PM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

You should've said credit goes to it.

~J for the use of dehumanizing genderless pronouns

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 18 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #23

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
You should've said credit goes to it.

~J for the use of dehumanizing genderless pronouns

Yeah, but I just saw "I, Robot" so I'm trying not to do that to you faceless online peeps. :D

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Jul 18 2004, 11:36 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (BitBasher @ Jul 18 2004, 10:11 PM)
That's what I was looking for, for invis to work on cameras it needs to be higher than half the OR.

I meant where is this specifically for invis?

In the spell section it gives a flat TN of 4, and makes no reference to OR, even though several other spells specifically do mention it when casting on something non-living (Powerball, Analyze device, Chaff, Wreck), whereas Imp. Invis, Flash, Physical Camouflage, Vehicle Mask do not. (although Vehicle Mask states the spell can only mask vehicle's with a body equal to or less than the force of the spell.)

So I interpret this to mean the TN is as stated, unless otherwise indicated in the spell description.

Otherwise Magic against Vehicles section would make the TN for Vehicle Mask = 8 (OR) + Body + 1/2 Armor, not a TN of 4.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 18 2004, 11:40 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (ShadowGhost @ Jul 18 2004, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE (BitBasher @ Jul 18 2004, 10:11 PM)
That's what I was looking for, for invis to work on cameras it needs to be higher than half the OR.

I meant where is this specifically for invis?

IN the spell section it gives a flat TN of 4, and makes no reference to OR, even though several other spells specifically do mention it when casting on something non-living (Powerball, Analyze device).

It's not specifically for invis, it's for ALL spells. It's listed under the Sorcery Test. You can get all the sucesses in the world but if the force of the spell isn't force 4 or higher it cannot affect cameras.

Interesting side effect, Natural Objects are OR:3. A force one spell can affect NOTHING, Not even people. It has to be force 2 or higher to affect living things, and at an OR of 3 a force one spell is not equal to or greater than half the OR! I never noticed that before.

EDIT: a Force one manabolt is the equivalent of pointing your finger and saying BANG for light drain, because it can't actually do damage! LOL! :spin: :grinbig: :twirl:

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:54 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.