Reply to this topicStart new topic
> mono-wire, questions about damage from mono-wire
kenny26
post Aug 28 2003, 09:37 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,549

hi there, this is my 1st post on these forums. :)

i wanted 2 make this post about mono-wire 'cause i've looked at the damage values given in the SR3 book, and i'm confused...

it says that if u run into a string of monowire (even if it's placed in neck-height and u're sprinting) u only take 11(S) (or was it 13?) in damage.
i don't understand this, 'cause there's no way of staging up the damage.
pictures this:
Mr. No-name, the combat mage is being chased by a group of lonestart cops and he's running all his legs can bare.
and unknown 2 him, someone's conviniently placed a string of mono-wire across the ally.
he runs into the mono-wire at top-speed, getting cut right in the neck, and he goes on, only taking servere damage!

this makes no sense 2 me... can anyone plz help me out?
have i missed some critical detail in the rules or do i need 2 make a house rule 4 this?

thanx in advance. :)

note: sry 4 the wierd spellings, hope u can chew through it anyways...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KawikaKeAloha
post Aug 28 2003, 03:35 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 5,544

hmmm,

a savalette only makes 9m damage. basta. if you want to stage it up you swith to burst fire (3!!! bullets).

how do you want to accomplish that with a single mono-wire stretched around across an alley?

i cannot remember a mono-wire having burst fire.

what you probably recall to is probably this: lets say the mono-wire is placed head-high. and the guard is hit at head-height (+6 modifier for you placing the mono-wire) and the guard runs into it it will make 11d damage.

but this should be considered a house rule and only if the gm approves to this.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Aug 28 2003, 03:52 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

Because it sucks to have a PC sprint down a hallway, make an impossible resistance roll, and instantly die. :P

+Quote Post
Hot Wheels
post Aug 28 2003, 04:10 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,470

you hit the wire, but don't run through it, at least not complely! there would be some resistance that would stop you.

+Quote Post
KawikaKeAloha
post Aug 28 2003, 04:26 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 5,544

i'd say if the dude is on a motorcycle driving at least 50km/h the s damage goes up to d.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Aug 28 2003, 05:39 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

You could use some measure of the characters running speed as extra dice (or just automatic successes!) to stage up the damage, if you really want heads to fly.

For example, a number of dice equal to the characters running multiplier plus 1 for each 3 points of quickness they have. If they used athletics or hydraulic jacks or something to increase their quickness for running purposes, count that.

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Aug 28 2003, 05:39 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

I like the S damage, because I personally don't think monowire will be strong enough to cut bone.

Extremely sharp, yes, but not very strong.

+Quote Post
Clipwing
post Aug 28 2003, 05:56 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 4,538

QUOTE (Ed_209a)
I like the S damage, because I personally don't think monowire will be strong enough to cut bone.

Extremely sharp, yes, but not very strong.

Doesn't seem to fit with the whole monowhip concept if it can't...

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Aug 28 2003, 07:05 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Monowire is stopped by anything with a barrier rating greater than half the monowire damage rating. It will not cut plastic bone lacing, but will slice every tendon as it slides across the plastic bone.

+Quote Post
Laughlyn
post Aug 28 2003, 07:20 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 548

My house rule for it (along with any other basic damage system) is to use the grenade damage rules or a variation of it. Basically you take 1/2 the power and turn it into dice. Then you roll those dice TN 4 for staging damage. So if the monowire is 12S, you roll 6 dice TN 4. It's a given that if you place the monowire out as a trip wire you don't do this.

+Quote Post
Rev
post Aug 28 2003, 08:42 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

Bah, monowire is stupid.

Just ignore it :)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Aug 28 2003, 08:50 PM
Post #12

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Welcome to Dumpshock, but here's one tip kenny. This Forum does not react well to the use of 'elite-speak' and various other lazy internet shortforms. We have a large community, many of whom do not speak English as a first language, yet they can make the effort to communicate properly in English when posting here. Please consider this in your future posts. Thanks. :)

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Aug 29 2003, 12:32 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 825

Why on earth not?

+Quote Post
DigitalMage
post Aug 29 2003, 10:00 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 340

Monowhip has only one damage code, which doesn't necessarily reflect all situations but does cover most circumstances, leaving the GM to house rule anything else.

For example, running into monwire could result in anything from losing some skin off the top of your head (if just above your head height - think dwarves), to losing some toes as the troll just catches his boot on the monowire trip wire, to losing half a limb, to losing your head (no pun intended).

Serious damage covers the majority of these instances - if the damage code was 11D you could end up with players complaining that monowire at ankle height shouldn't automatically kill them!

Just use the base damage code and modify based upon circumstances.

+Quote Post
kenny26
post Aug 29 2003, 10:16 AM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 5,549

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
Monowire is stopped by anything with a barrier rating greater than half the monowire damage rating. It will not cut plastic bone lacing, but will slice every tendon as it slides across the plastic bone.

is this an official rule? if it is, it might make a big difference to the group's street samie.
anyhow, i'll try and spell in normal english from now on. :)

and i've looked at some of your ideas for staging up the damage of the mono-wire. and most of them seem to make sense.
i'll just need to sit down and think about which one would suit my campaign the best...
but i'll definately consider where the wire hits before i name the damage.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Aug 29 2003, 11:56 AM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 948

When it comes to situations like "Moving Taget+Monowire" I would use the vehicle collision rule. Let's assume that the character is riding a Bike at 60Km/H and hits a Monowire stretched across the street. The character is wearing 4/2 armor and have a body of 6.

Now, I don't really remember exactly how to calculate collision damage but I think it was Base speed/10 M damage. Monowire: 10S Bike speed: 6M. We could either add the two damages together or take two separate tests, I vote for two tests. First we have the actual collission with the Monowire: 10S (9S) and then we have the inertia of the character that would create two options.

1: The monowire does NOT snap due to a few hundred kilos of pressure to the ANCHOR points, not the wire people, but to the place where the wire has been tied. The wire stays in place and the character takes an additional 5M (4M) damage.

2: The wire snaps due to the sudden impact and the wire whipslash across the alley/street and works like a grenade blast, hitting anyone within range with a base damage code of 10S (People would have the chance to make a dodge test).

In both cases, even if the character survives there will be an immediate crash test with a realistic modifier of at least +4.

+Quote Post
Laughlyn
post Aug 29 2003, 02:06 PM
Post #17

Target

Monowire won't hold up to several hundred kgs worth of pressure. It will snap long before that.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Aug 29 2003, 02:13 PM
Post #18

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

QUOTE (Laughlyn)
Monowire won't hold up to several hundred kgs worth of pressure. It will snap long before that.

I'm not sure that's true for stress applied along the length of the wire. However, as far as sheer stress (force applied perpendicular to the line of the wire), you're probably right. In any case, the anchors at the ends of the line are probably going to be the break point.

+Quote Post
Clipwing
post Aug 29 2003, 03:08 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 4,538

QUOTE (TheScamp)

Why on earth not?

Well, because you're taking a strand of monowire and using it to slice and dice your opponents by putting it on the end of a rod and waving it about. If it was weak, the monowhip would be fairly useless as it would be breaking every strike you made...

+Quote Post
Laughlyn
post Aug 29 2003, 03:39 PM
Post #20

Target

Weak and being able to stand up to 100+kg of stress are different things. First I'm almost positive that monowire doesn't stretch much if at all. So it's not like monofilament fishing line that we know today.

In order to use it as a whip it doesn't need to be all that strong. It either cuts or it doesn't. Try this, take 20lbs test line (plastic monofilament fishing line) wrap it around both hands (around your fingers) several time and pull really hard, until it breaks. Now let us know if it cut you. There's a good chance it did. Given that the fishing line is only 20lbs test line and it's a massively thick redwood tree trunk in comparison to monofilament buckytube (ie Shadowrun monofilament), I'd say it would work well as a whip.

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Aug 29 2003, 03:47 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

Do we have any physical chemists out there?

What happens to a buckytube when it breaks? Do the broken ends heal into new stable hemispheres, or do they unravel, or what?

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Aug 29 2003, 04:06 PM
Post #22

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

Also that "string of monowire covering the width of an alleway" just cost many thousands of nuyen. It's pretty infeasable to use monowire as much as GM's like to ;)

And yes, the barrier rating thing is canon. Monowire goes against double the barrier rating when determining what it can cut. It is not god.

+Quote Post
Turtle
post Aug 29 2003, 04:09 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,072

Monowire...buckytubes? You gotta be kidding... :|

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Aug 29 2003, 05:49 PM
Post #24

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (kenny26)
anyhow, i'll try and spell in normal english from now on.

Thanks. :)

Did you add your location to your profile later. I thought I had checked when I posted, and finding nothing I wrongfully assumed (bad me!) that you were American. :oops:

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Aug 29 2003, 08:42 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 825

Well, because you're taking a strand of monowire and using it to slice and dice your opponents by putting it on the end of a rod and waving it about. If it was weak, the monowhip would be fairly useless as it would be breaking every strike you made...

As Laughlyn said, it doesn't necessarily break if it can't through something. This is, after all, a flexible material. If it can't cut into it, it'll just slide off.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:40 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.