Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [ShadowsOfEurope] Euro-slang, Latest update to srrpg.com
Synner
post Jul 22 2004, 08:45 AM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 185

Check it out. Shadowrunrpg.com has been updated with extensive lists of Euro Slang for those interested.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jul 22 2004, 09:06 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

Cool. This is good.

Don

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jul 22 2004, 02:15 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Edit out the "Finnish" from the Scandinavian Union bit -- there's nothing there that more than a couple of percent of Finns would understand.

[Edit]But the rest is Fun And Informative.[/Edit]

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Jul 22 2004, 03:59 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jul 22 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #4

Guests

Joder= Drek?

Hmm. I must have learned a different Spanish language.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Jul 23 2004, 01:36 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 185

How come I didn't catch that one? Have to mail Adam.

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_JongWK_*
post Jul 23 2004, 01:49 PM
Post #6

Guests

"Joder" has several meanings in Spanish, depending on the region you are. In some areas you can use it so say you want to have sex with someone, but in others you'll just get blank stares (and boy, if you ever use it in Spain the way we use in the Rio de la Plata...)

We could add a list of the different meanings, what do you think?

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Jul 23 2004, 01:50 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

Oops, didn't realize I wasn't logged in.

+Quote Post
Pistons
post Jul 23 2004, 01:56 PM
Post #8

Not Cameron Diaz

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 188

He's right. Spanish -- dialect, accent or slang -- will be different in North America than it is in South America or in Spain or elsewhere.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Jul 23 2004, 01:57 PM
Post #9

Mr. Quote-function

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,376

hackn (n.) -- Job

Interessting ... o.k. it's in the austrian section and there are some differences there, but I'd assume that this should read more like

hackn (n) -- decking

and

abbrannt (adj.) -- Out of cred
abzwickter (n.) -- Dwarf

in german would be

abgebrannt (adj.) Out of cred
Abgezwickter (n.) Dwarf

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jul 23 2004, 02:13 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

Just looking at it, hackn looks more like a verb than a noun. Substantive verb, perhaps.

Don

+Quote Post
Guest_Nidhöggr_*
post Jul 23 2004, 03:54 PM
Post #11

Guests

hackn really means job (it's more pronounced like hockn), the verb is hackln.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Jul 23 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #12

Mr. Quote-function

With an "o" instead of "a" it does make sense :) ...
~Long time since I've visited our neighbours~

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jul 23 2004, 04:24 PM
Post #13

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Edit out the "Finnish" from the Scandinavian Union bit -- there's nothing there that more than a couple of percent of Finns would understand.

I've resisted commenting on this since I first read the post, but I think it should be said: Even my bosses preface requests for work to be done with "please" or "can you" or "you should" or /something/ that acknowledges the human element. I've noticed you pipe up with "edit this" or "change that" sort of comments several times - and they may be very valid and useful comments - but a little extra politeness would likely help your comments come across as they were [I believe] intended.

There will be some sort of update to the Euro Slang guide in the coming weeks, after some more new SoE-related stuff is posted.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jul 23 2004, 06:19 PM
Post #14

Guests

QUOTE (Pistons)
He's right. Spanish -- dialect, accent or slang -- will be different in North America than it is in South America or in Spain or elsewhere.

I have learned multiple dialects of Spanish (Mexican, Cuban, Castellano and that Cervantes-era Castellano, Indian and English mashup used in parts of New Mexico). And frankly, "drek" was just not the first word to come to mind when I see the word "joder," or when I use it. I tend to use mierda instead for "drek" in general (or its French alternative since it's only one syllable and easier to utter in an exicted stated). An esasperated version of "drek!" may be joder, and it does depend on context, but I just don't see it that way. However, there YMMV.

Regardless, I have my own little slang dictionary for castellano, but I appreciate the addition of fostiar, for example.

+Quote Post
Espresso
post Jul 23 2004, 06:54 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 1,661

"Abbrant" and "abzwickter" are correct. The syllable "ge" is cut out and "ab" pronounced "o". "Hackn" is job indeed.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Jul 23 2004, 07:13 PM
Post #16

Mr. Quote-function

QUOTE (Espresso)
"Abbrant" and "abzwickter" are correct.

Note that I said "in german" ... Bavarians and people in Baden Würrtemberg would understand the versions without "ge" ... but higher in the north you'd just get an raised eyebrow ...
I was merely speaking from the german POV ...
"Hackn" is job indeed.

As I said .. with an "o" I would have recognized it ... I don't talk to Austrians that often ...

+Quote Post
The Question Man
post Jul 23 2004, 09:26 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,722

Thanks Adam that's great. IMOO it's something that Shadowrun products should have more of.

Gratefully

QM

+Quote Post
Sepherim
post Jul 24 2004, 04:15 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,446

Actual uses of Joder word in Spainish common street speaking:
"to fuck with someone".
"to create problems for someone"
"drek, as in the expresion "drek!" which mostly has lost it's meaning but is used as "we've got problems" or similar ways"

I'm sure there are even more aceptions to it even, but it's late and I'm not into thinking about language right now.

I'll use another example. "Coño" means, textually, the female reproduction organ. But it's used more commonly as "drek", but with negative connotations.

I'm afraid that learning a language without visiting the country in which that language/dialect is spoken leaves you only with the denotations (spelling?) of the words, but leaves out many of their connotations. I found out when I went to the US.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jul 24 2004, 10:54 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Adam: Sorry. I realize it was a really stupid thing to say, and I put it very poorly. I absolutely have no business telling you to edit something. Optimally, the message should have been closer to:

"That looks really neat, now I can give some real flavor to foreign shadowydudes! Though I noticed that all the Scandinavian Union slang-words are Swedish (or Norwegian, or Danish) -- I realize that these might well be recognized widely in the other countries of the Scandinavian Union, but in light of the 10% Swedish Speaking statistic (of which only a fraction would know slang) in the Finland Info Block in SoE, it might be a good idea to edit Finnish out of the list of specifically mentioned languages/cultures where the slangwords would work."

I'll try to teach myself some manners, or practice my shutting-up skills.

+Quote Post
Larsine
post Jul 25 2004, 07:39 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,604

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
"That looks really neat, now I can give some real flavor to foreign shadowydudes! Though I noticed that all the Scandinavian Union slang-words are Swedish (or Norwegian, or Danish) -- I realize that these might well be recognized widely in the other countries of the Scandinavian Union, but in light of the 10% Swedish Speaking statistic (of which only a fraction would know slang) in the Finland Info Block in SoE, it might be a good idea to edit Finnish out of the list of specifically mentioned languages/cultures where the slangwords would work."

IMO there is a big problem with the Scandinavian slag. Finnish is not like any of the three other languages, and even the last three (Swedish, Norwegian and Danish) are somewhat different, especially when it comes to slang. As a Dane I would only ever use the two first examples from the list, where as the rest just sounds silly. Surely I can understand them, just like I can understand Swedish/Norwegian, but I can't imaging it would ever be user as slang by a Danish runner.

A suggestion would be to put the language(s) where the slang-word was used, after the word.

Lars

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jul 25 2004, 07:59 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Larsine)
As a Dane I would only ever use the two first examples from the list, where as the rest just sounds silly.

Well, I think some of the English SR-slangwords sound really silly, too. Chummer, drek, etc. are rather marginal right now. So, to an extent, if they at least sound funny to you, there's the tiny little chance that they might be in use in 60 years. I know about as much Swedish as the average Finn, and the only word from that list that I just might recognize after much pondering is "gönner", but only when written -- they don't even sound silly, they don't sound like anything. Like you said, Finnish is totally unrelated to the other Scandinavian languages, only having borrowed words from Swedish .

QUOTE (Larsine)
A suggestion would be to put the language(s) where the slang-word was used, after the word.

I second that.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 26 2004, 09:01 AM
Post #22

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

reading the list of scand slang just cracks me up. some of those would not be used unless your some corp kid that trys to act like a street punk, its just to damn funny :)

+Quote Post
Skarn Ka
post Jul 26 2004, 09:30 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,022

Running in France

- Hello, sir.
- Hi, man. Got a friend of us to meet here. Know of him ?
- Mr. Dup...
- Yeah, that's it.
- Please just follow the corridor to the back room. Mr. Dupont is waiting for you.

Mr. DUPONT !!! :eek:
Honestly who did this :dead: ?
At least it may have been Mr. D, but here this sounds like a joke... I guess it was intended.
I know this is supposed to be one of the most common French names, but honestly I don't know anybody going by that name, and I keep getting flashes of famous Belgian bandes dessinées characters.
"Mr. Martin" would have been more accurate (and IMO less ludicrous), but also less funny (depending on how funny you think it is ;) )

+Quote Post
lorg
post Jul 26 2004, 10:25 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 625

QUOTE ("Austere Emancipator")
Though I noticed that all the Scandinavian Union slang-words are Swedish (or Norwegian, or Danish)

Where did you see all the swedish words? There is 1 out of 11 that is swedish (snut is swedish), the other once are most likely a combo of norwegian and danish.

You are correct in that there are no finnish words in the list, could have something todo with the lack of finnish speaking people, nobody understands that language since it is so different from what they speak in sweden, norway and denmark. Atleast those three languages sound and look somewhat similar.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Jul 26 2004, 12:53 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Skarn Ka)
Mr. DUPONT !!!

Originally, "Monsieur Dupont" was the name given for Mr. Johnson in the French-speaking part of Switzerland, in the German sourcebook Chrom & Dioxin.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:56 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.