Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowland advice, for running newbies
raezyr
post Jul 23 2004, 10:50 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,112

After a year's hiatus as a Shadowrun GM (due to burnout), I am getting ready to kickstart a new campaign using Shadowland.org.

Currently I only have one active player, who is not only new to having me as a GM but new to the setting of Shadowrun as well. I will add other players soon, but for now it's going to be one-on-one.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should conduct the game? [I'm wanting to keep it more story-driven than combat driven, due to the text-based nature of SL and our bent towards creative writing.] Or perhaps plot twists I can use on Shadowland that I can't use in a tabletop environment?

(And, no, I'm not gonna run Food Fight to "get them familiar with the combat rules" -- it's gonna be more Blade Runner than John Woo)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jul 23 2004, 12:41 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

Check out the Welcome to the Shadows thread here. Quite a few online games there in various stages of completion.

The big difference you find between online and tabletop play is that online is much more about the characters. Whereas in tabletop play, you've usually got to divide an x hour session between roleplay for y characters and z plot time, online you've really got all of the time in the world.

The biggest problem with online play is getting people to make a decision. Because of the lack of time limitations, people can be really slow and let things drag out beyond what they should.

+Quote Post
raezyr
post Jul 23 2004, 12:51 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 2,112

Yes, we've already made plans to make it more about the characters than usual.

And, yeah, I've tried to read through others' campaigns, but without seeing where the campaign started it's hard to get a feel for the dynamic and flow, especially when discussions jump pages or even folders.

What I'm wondering about is content that works well, or should be avoided. Such as: Politics seem like a good fit for this, but I can also see where they would just get convoluted.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jul 23 2004, 12:56 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Really, the simpler the story, the better. Don't be afraid to lead a player by the nose if you have to get things moving. Detail and depth is something you can work in as you get more comfortable with the medium.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 23 2004, 04:47 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

the quickest way to kill your game is to have your players conduct an in-character planning session. don't do it. if a run requires a plan, do it all OOC. i have seen more shadowland games die during the planning session than during any other phase.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jul 24 2004, 01:43 AM
Post #6

Guests

My advice:

Ask people on Shadowland, since they know more about SL than the majority of people here, who aren't playing on Shadowland.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jul 24 2004, 02:14 AM
Post #7

Dragon

Is that a slam at the people who've posted here or a more generalized suggestion to the poster?

Online play is online play, in a lot of ways. Probably 90% of what's true on Shadowland is true on here and is true in PBEMs and is true on a dozen other boards and similar media. About the only form of online play which is really dissimilar to the rest is play by chat (and by extension the various MU*s of the online world) , and that's because it has more in common with face to face RPGing than other forms of online play.

Asking directly on SL is a good thing because you'll get some info on the 10% or so that is unique to that particular board. I wouldn't discount anything that's been said here, though, even if you don't get it repeated on SL.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Jul 24 2004, 02:18 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

QUOTE (mfb)
the quickest way to kill your game is to have your players conduct an in-character planning session. don't do it. if a run requires a plan, do it all OOC. i have seen more shadowland games die during the planning session than during any other phase.

I dont know if shadowland is significantly different, but I'm involved in an IRC game right now... and IC planning is about my favorite part.

...Perhaps its because I almost always come up with the plan, and it almost always works... but hey.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Jul 24 2004, 02:23 AM
Post #9

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Ask people on Shadowland, since they know more about SL than the majority of people here, who aren't playing on Shadowland.

So if dumpshock is so crappy compared to the 'Land, I'd have to wonder what you're still doing round here?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 24 2004, 02:36 AM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

The implication isn't necessarily that Dumpshock is inferior. For instance, it'd be considered odd to come looking for advice on using oil pants in a charcoal/sketching community.

/random analogy

Edit: oil paints, rather.

~J

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jul 24 2004, 02:37 AM
Post #11

Dragon

QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
I dont know if shadowland is significantly different, but I'm involved in an IRC game right now... and IC planning is about my favorite part.

It's probably quite a bit different, actually. The big problem with planning sessions in PBP/PBEM games is that there isn't a sense of urgency. With an IRC game, you have a block of time where you're going to play and so everyone knows that they have to get the planning done in a shortish amount of time if they want to get anywhere that session.

PBP games tend to lack that urgency (not all, I'm sure, I've experimented with adding it to a PBP game with some measure of success, and I'm sure lots of other people have methods for dealing with it) and so IC planning often bogs down. The methods I'm currently playing with include designated team leaders, posting deadlines, and the like.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 24 2004, 02:41 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

indeed. the shadowland-dumpshock mutual antagonism has been in remission for quite some time, and everyone seems to be fairly happy with that state of affairs. let's not revive it by reading too much into someone's post.

shadowland is a very anarchic gaming environment. games with metarules--how and when to post, etc.--tend to not fare well. the best way to keep your game going is to:

a) keep the group small, no more than 4 players
b) make GM posts on at least a daily basis, so that the page stays blue (blue-colored pages and folders have been posted to since you last checked them)
c) watch the rate of posting; if it slows, make something happen--anything at all

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jul 24 2004, 06:14 PM
Post #13

Guests

Kage is right.

Otherwise, you're trying to read into something that isn't there.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:42 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.