Reply to this topicStart new topic
> making Orichalcum....
Ninj
post Jul 23 2004, 05:02 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,506

According to MITS pg 42 when making Orichalcum metal the description states you need to add the one radical unit of copper, gold, silver, and mercury each in order to make Orichalcum.

My question is this. After the 28 day process finishes and the enchanting skill test is successfull how many units of Orichalcum are made??

Is it the same as producing radical units??

number of Enchanting skill successes * the number of material units used in process = total number of radical units
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jul 23 2004, 05:04 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

Nope. Each success produces 1 unit of Orichalcum. Only the radicals and refinement are multiplied.

Don

+Quote Post
Necrotic Monkey
post Jul 23 2004, 05:12 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,488

You get one unit of Orichalcum per success on the circulation test.

+Quote Post
Ninj
post Jul 23 2004, 06:06 PM
Post #4

Target

but how many radical raw material units are used in the process??

In other words can I only create one unit of Orichalcum from one radical unit of copper, gold, silver, and mercury combined??

or phrased this way:

If I use just one radical unit of copper, gold, silver, and mercury how many units of Orichalcum are produced??

If I use just two radical unit of copper, gold, silver, and mercury how many units of Orichalcum are produced??

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jul 23 2004, 06:30 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

You use just 1 unit of each base. You can't put in 2 units of each base. Part of that is interpetation of the "special circulation" in the text. So no, you can't mass produce orichalcum by stuffing 10 radicals of each base in the circulation.

You use 1 unit of the bases. Units of orcichalcum produced = number of successes rolled.

Don

+Quote Post
Ninj
post Jul 23 2004, 06:45 PM
Post #6

Target

OK. That makes more sense.

Thanks for the explanation.

+Quote Post
Necrotic Monkey
post Jul 23 2004, 07:48 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

You don't need to mass produce orichalcum. You're doing it by default.

The base TN for a standard magician is 4 and something as simple as two grades of initiation (costing a minimum of 22 Karma, giving you one to two more Karma Pool in the process) will set the TN at 2.

Now say you have an Enchanting Skill of 6. For flavor purposes, you gave your character a school of magic (let's say Norse) and the Enchanting Shop you purchased or rented is aligned to that school. Spend on Karma Pool point to give you an extra die and you're rolling 8 dice against a TN of 2. Use your other Karma Pool to reroll any failures, and you're nearly guaranteed to get 8 successes.

Now in just 28 days you earned over 700,000 nuyen. Sell it (for 350,000 nuyen) and use the rules for karma exchange (we'll assume the 5,000:1 ratio). Now you've scored 70 Good Karma. Use that to bond any focus you like instead of "wasting it" to lower the cost during the enchanting period, then blow the rest on whatever else you like.

Oddly enough, you can actually churn out even more cash by creating and selling gold radicals. Even an unitiated magician can circulate two units of refined gold in 2 days and produce upwards of 16 units of it by the end. That's nearly equivalent to orichalcum's value in the same period of time. And, of course, there's less investment in the beginning (you only have to buy or produce two units of refined gold as opposed to a gold, silver, copper, and mercury radical).

I really do dislike those rules for enchanting. The TN should at least be 10 minus your initiate grade... at least having a Grade 8 initiate churning out that kind of money is more plausable, whereas an uninitiated mage will have to spend months trying to create just a single unit. That would also give the insane cost for orichalcum (and the other radicals, all of which you can "mass produce" from a single unit of raw material) more weight.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jul 23 2004, 08:31 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Karma-for-Cash should always be applied carefully by GMs. Likewise, I make my players roll Negotiation on prices (350,000 nuyen? Let's see those successes, boy).

The main use of orichalcum, natch, is to make foci easier to bond. Not necessairilly less expensive, and likely more time consuming, but it can bring down the karma costs and that's what matters.

And, although no GM actually does it, there's nothing to say that during those 28 days some old enemies won't come cruising in to bust your head <ruining the process>, or wait til you're done and /then/ jump you for the goods. Hell, your local talismonger might jump you for the goods if they think they can get away with it.

Not that this should ever come into play, but some GMs home-rule that you cannot make more orichalcum than the combined mass of the component metals, no matter how many successes you roll. :P

+Quote Post
Necrotic Monkey
post Jul 23 2004, 08:39 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Karma-for-Cash should always be applied carefully by GMs. Likewise, I make my players roll Negotiation on prices (350,000 nuyen? Let's see those successes, boy).

That's your perogative, but Negotiations aren't a requirement. Even if it is, just get the face in your group to sell it. Now you'll likely end up with even more nuyen.

The main use of orichalcum, natch, is to make foci easier to bond. Not necessairilly less expensive, and likely more time consuming, but it can bring down the karma costs and that's what matters.

Which is why I specifically pointed out that you actually get a better deal by simply creating the orichalcum and selling it to pay for the First Bonding that way rather than using each unit (88,000 nuyen) to lower the Karma cost by 1 (a 5,000 nuyen value). 1 Karma vs. over 8-17 Karma.

Hell, your local talismonger might jump you for the goods if they think they can get away with it.

Only if they're a really crappy talismonger. I have trouble seeing why most any talismonger would work the shadows when they can make a killing with minimal work per year and have all the advantages of a legal lifestyle away from the streets.

Not that this should ever come into play, but some GMs home-rule that you cannot make more orichalcum than the combined mass of the component metals, no matter how many successes you roll.

If someone is rolling more than 40 dice (400 grams going in, 10 grams per unit of orichalcum), I doubt if they'd be too upset at only making 3,520,000 nuyen in a month.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jul 24 2004, 02:04 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I'm not contending your points, NM, I'm simply implying that those very reasons are why GMs should be careful when these rules come into play--it's easy to lose balance and let a magician make too much money, or buy too much karma.

+Quote Post
Dragonslayer
post Jul 24 2004, 08:26 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 2,741

This is a topic that usually comes up during my groups time spent playing D&D. Not sure who's played it but its stated somewhere that the common peasant can live comfortably on 25 gold pieces for thier entire life. Anybody who's ever played D&D has probably had their character wipe their arse with 25 gp. So then comes the question, I have 50,000 gp why don't I retire? The answer because the game is called Dungeons and Dragons, not retire and live comfortably in a rural manor. Likewise the name of the game we play is Shadowrun, not start a business and make enough nuyen to rival a megacorp.

Though as a side note it would be interesting to design a campaign specificly around making orichalcum and other radicals and selling them for profit. Most of my groups campaigns are kinda nonstandard so it seems like a fun idea to try. NM since you seem to know these numbers have you figured out how long it would take 1 mage flooding the market with radicals to earn enough nuyen to equal Lofwyr? I think at that point they would have officially collapsed most markets and kinda ruined a number of game mechanics. And that's funny to me.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 24 2004, 08:36 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Nah, I never calculated it like that. But considering a competent Grade 2 initiate can make about 700,000 nuyen each month, that's 8,400,000 nuyen a year. He's not going to rival Lowfyr any time soon, but I doubt if he'd be complaining.

'Course if he just does it for a couple of months -- let's say three -- and then trades all that cash in for nuyen, he'll have 420 Good Karma. That can produce quite a few powerful Ally Spirits, all of whom would have the Enchanting Skill and access to their own Enchanting Shop. Make each one of them Force 8 (so they'll have a Magic of 8 and thus a low TN for the circulation tests) and spend a good chunk of that Karma boosting your own Enchanting Skill to an obscene level, and... well... I dunno. It's all just insane.

A base TN of 10 reduced only by initiate grade instead of Magic Rating and/or a base time of 6 months would go a long way to making the rules for enchanting radicals a lot more reasonable.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 24 2004, 10:50 AM
Post #13

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

Only with an incompetent GM.

Remember that the amount of cash per karms should be adjested to the campaigns income. The game recommends that you pay the players a little more than it costs them for their lifestyle each month, with occasional windfalls, and one run a month. In that financial scenario, 5000 is a lot to pay for a point of karma, as you have virtually no spare cash. In the case that a player makes 700k a month, then the amount should be adjusted to about... oh, 350k to 700 or so for a point of karma.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Jul 24 2004, 01:22 PM
Post #14

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

This is also assuming a couple of things. Namely,

A) Your GM even allows the cash-for-karma rule - mine doesn't, for example.
B) Nobody gets wind of your operation and decides they should get paid to 'protect' you, or decide they deserve to skim off the top of your operation - especially magically juiced folks like the Triads or Yakuza.
C) Those folks you pissed off, when you did those shadowruns? Considering you can't really do much of anything other than enchant during the radical-creation phase... If they catch up to you, bad stuff might happen to you. Or your contacts. Or your family.
D) To quote:
I have trouble seeing why most any talismonger would work the shadows when they can make a killing with minimal work per year and have all the advantages of a legal lifestyle away from the streets.

Two reasons. 1) not all talismongers are magically active. Some are probably just resellers for design houses of magically active types, and raise prices slightly. 2) if they've sold you anything over Force 3, they've already broken some laws. They sold you something for like Force 8? Hell, they're already hosed if someone legal-minded finds out. 3) Why? Because - if you've banked a lotta orichalcum or cash - with one score, they could retire. Why would embezzle when they have a perfectly decent job with six figures? Because they can.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 24 2004, 02:37 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Remember that the amount of cash per karms should be adjested to the campaigns income. The game recommends that you pay the players a little more than it costs them for their lifestyle each month, with occasional windfalls, and one run a month. In that financial scenario, 5000 is a lot to pay for a point of karma, as you have virtually no spare cash. In the case that a player makes 700k a month, then the amount should be adjusted to about... oh, 350k to 700 or so for a point of karma.

Fine. Ignore the Cash-for-Karma rules. The process still grants an insane amount of cash. Always missing the point to nitpick things away and act like that's a solution to the main problem. :please:

But as a side note, the rules for Cash for Karma (SRComp p. 80) make no such recommendation. Adjusting the amount of Karma granted for the campaign? Yes. But nothing about your "as much as they make in a month" BS or even adjusting it to different values between characters.

As for Adarael's comments, the thing you're neglecting is that for most of your scenarios you're assuming 1) that anyone would know the character was enchanting, 2) after his first time of doing it, he's scored enough cash to set up a sweet security system, 3) that he can get the rest of the team to cover his back on the promise that he's going to set them up with a huge amount of cash for less than a month's work of doing nothing but babysitting, 4) an arsenal of elementals bound to the shop and the veritable mansion he'll be able to buy after the first month, and 5) all the other advantages and power that having a drekload of cash brings.

There's also no reason to believe that he'd be doing this in some insecure part of the Barrens, either. A nice penthouse in a megastory luxury hotel only a block from Lone Star's main office is just as good a place as anywhere else. There's also nothing illegal about creating orichalcum or any other radicals, either. And once you create even a single unit of it, you have all the cash you need to buy tons of raw or refined minerals from legal sources to boot... not to mention a good fake ID that will only get better and better with the more cash and time you pump into it.

A good fake ID, a lifestyle with Luxury security and the Insurance edge, AAA zone area, personally summoned magical protection with permits, powerful wards with permits, and personal spellcasting abilities all with permits... and that's just from a fraction of his earnings.

+Quote Post
SirKodiak
post Jul 25 2004, 05:32 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,298

The reason you don't do this is because the price of Orichalcum is artificially inflated by the 2060 version of DeBeers. They'll let you produce a little for your own use or those of a friend, but if you start producing in any quantity they risk having you devalue Orichalcum, which could destroy their business. So, you get a visit from some toughs who destroy your lab and knock you around a bit. If you try to set up again, you get a second visit, which this time ends with you in a shallow grave. And no group of Shadowrunners is going to be able to stand against the kind of magically-powered muscle that rich a cartel is going to be able to send.

This, of course, doesn't come from the rulebooks. It's just my standard way of handling players who try to play weird games with the economy. I applaud the creativity of coming up with those sorts of hacks, but it makes for a boring game.

So then comes the question, I have 50,000 gp why don't I retire? The answer because the game is called Dungeons and Dragons, not retire and live comfortably in a rural manor. Likewise the name of the game we play is Shadowrun, not start a business and make enough nuyen to rival a megacorp.

This is extremely funny. And I basically agree, though if a character wants to retire I let him, it just means that that character is out of the game and the player makes a new one. Probably my favorite ending for any party I've been in as a player is one in which the two of us (small game) ended up joining Lone Star. Made for a nice bit of humor when in the background in a bar the GM put a news clip mentioning my former character, a human phys ad, being the "hero cop" beating up some gang-member trolls.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Jul 25 2004, 06:49 PM
Post #17

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (BitBasher)
Only with an incompetent GM.

This makes sense at first glance, but it isn't how markets work.

Think about prostitution, or selling yourself for sex. I've known girls who say they wouldn't do it for a hundred dollars, others for a thousand dollars, others for 10,000, even a few who wouldn't for a million dollars. All good for them, but the fact is there is a definite price range of people who will do it at a reasonable price.

I'm sure some people value their karma more than others, and that some will pay more for it than others. But 5000 nuyen is the price MitS sets for a point worth of karma.

+Quote Post
SirKodiak
post Jul 25 2004, 09:07 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,298

This makes sense at first glance, but it isn't how markets work.

Think about prostitution, or selling yourself for sex. I've known girls who say they wouldn't do it for a hundred dollars, others for a thousand dollars, others for 10,000, even a few who wouldn't for a million dollars. All good for them, but the fact is there is a definite price range of people who will do it at a reasonable price.

I'm sure some people value their karma more than others, and that some will pay more for it than others. But 5000 nuyen is the price MitS sets for a point worth of karma.

I'm having trouble tracking down the reference in MitS that actually sets the 5000 number. Can you give me a page number, just so that I can see the context?

If I allow nuyen for karma, which I only do in relatively rare circumstances, I go by the guideline in the companion which says to set one for the campaign. In this case, I use a number that reflects how much money they make. A group with a lot of income will have to pay more for karma than one not making a lot. I justify this by saying that in order to do this nuyen for karma trade, what they're doing is performing some sort of charity with it, meaningful to them and acceptable to the universe, that results in karma. To please the universe (the GM) enough to get karma out of it, you have to spend an amount of money that is meaningful to you. For example, there's plenty of people in the real world for whom a $100 donation is a big act of charity. However, if Bill Gates donated $100, it's not as meaningful. He would get less karma for that act (in my game; GM is not responsible for karma lost or gain in the real world).

I also make them come up with the explanation of how they're using the money to get the karma. They're allowed to do this rarely enough that we tend to be able to come up with something interesting, which can sometimes then play into the campaign. You can meet all sorts of interesting people while the Coyote shaman is gambling away tens of thousands of nuyen.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Jul 25 2004, 09:10 PM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

There is a suggested price for the cost of an enchanter using some of his own karma. It's with the magical services costs in the back. You can infer that the price is at least constant for getting a mage to do work on you with his karma, but much past that is questionable.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Jul 25 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #20

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

Several problems with my analysis? I think not. I think there is no such thing as an insurmountable problem when it comes to too much cash - because my mage had 7 million nuyen for a period of about a year. Now he has none. Let us explore the possibilities, yes? And address, point by point, the concerns you raise....

1) (Why would) anyone would know the character was enchanting,

Um. Because, they were shadowrunners, and if they have 50 karma they've probably done enough jobs for SOMEONE to want them under surveilance. Barring that, the purchase of the 100,000 nuyen Enchanting Shop is a pretty big tipoff (I've notice most players don't start with one of these). Thirdly, after they've sold the first batch, you can bet they're gonna be known as enchanters by at least the guys they sold the stuff to.

2) after his first time of doing it, he's scored enough cash to set up a sweet security system,

Any security system can be penetrated, I guarantee you. The people in question probably defeat 'impossible' security systems for a living, since they *are* shadowrunners. It's added peace of mind and an early warning system, sure, but it's not foolproof.

3) that he can get the rest of the team to cover his back on the promise that he's going to set them up with a huge amount of cash for less than a month's work of doing nothing but babysitting

Well, that's actually not something I dispute at all. They SHOULD back him up, yeah.

4) an arsenal of elementals bound to the shop and the veritable mansion he'll be able to buy after the first month

Hardly a veritable 'mansion' unless he's renting it - buying anything so grandiose is still very expensive. Elementals still take time to summon, though - and you can only summon a couple before the next lunar cycle.

5) all the other advantages and power that having a drekload of cash brings.
To quote:
A good fake ID, a lifestyle with Luxury security and the Insurance edge, AAA zone area, personally summoned magical protection with permits, powerful wards with permits, and personal spellcasting abilities all with permits... and that's just from a fraction of his earnings.

700,000 nuyen will get you a lot of that. It's true. But there's a couple of problems - the availability of what you say they'll get. In all likelihood, the shadowrunner in question is an illegal citizen. *IF* he can get a good fake ID (supposing he's got a good fixer) and is willing to blow the cash (which any sane runner would) he should be spending somewhere around 40,000 nuyen or more. That's just my call - I'm assuming a rating 8 fake sin, because I wouldn't feel safe with anything less. All the bad guys need is 1 success to know you're a fake, and then you're hosed.

Lifestyle with luxury security? No problem - but will you be able to find it without using your fake ID? The more you use the ID, the more checks that might blow it's cover. Supposing you do find the security, that's great - that means paracritters, drones, and maybe some wards. Sweet. But each of these people - because they are not personal friends of yours - are possible leaks as to what you are doing. They might blab while having a beer.

"There's also nothing illegal about creating orichalcum or any other radicals, either. And once you create even a single unit of it, you have all the cash you need to buy tons of raw or refined minerals from legal sources to boot... not to mention a good fake ID that will only get better and better with the more cash and time you pump into it."

Well, no, not at base. But there IS something illegal about selling that orichalcum without paying proper taxes, without a permit to sell, et cetera. Probably not a big deal unless you start REALLY evading taxes.

My point is, no matter how wily a character is, something this big and trail-leaving means that I -as a GM- can think of eight hundred ways to disarm this pronlem before it gets out of hand. If you assume everything goes according to plan for more than a few days - as you seem to be assuming - then you're probably playing a rosier color of shadowrun than I do.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 25 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #21

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

That's cool, but the book also recommends to pay the players enough to just make rent, with occasional windfalls. follow those recommendations also and they will rarely ever have the cash to buy karma anyway. One side of the equasion is seriously skewed off their recommendations for this to happen.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:39 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.