IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Activating an adept power. Free, Simple Complex?
tedhatfield
post Jul 25 2004, 07:40 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,909

I started to play an adept for the first time and I chose attribute boost as one of my powers. I've looked but I can't seem to find out how much time it takes to activate this power. Is it a free, simple or complex action to activate and or drain.

Ted
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 25 2004, 12:16 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

If it doesn't specify, it would probably be Free.

On another note, I can't find activate/deactivate adept power on the SR Actions Reference Sheet. Is it canon, or just a houserule that gained acceptance in some thread?

~J

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Jul 25 2004, 03:44 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

Well, given that there is no officially-listed activate/deactivate adept power action, how about ruling that (and this is crazy!) it *isn't* an action? That it is something done innately/intuitively that doesnt require an action, unless specified in the text of the power?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 25 2004, 11:37 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

that's usually how i rule it.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 25 2004, 11:41 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

I do it on a case-by-case basis. A power like Attribute Boost implies that it requires a bit of concentration as you summon up the power, and it even has drain just like a spell. So for that one, I call it a Complex Action. For a power like Distance Strike, that's a non-action since it's as much a technique as a power. Most powers are "always on," however, so they're a moot point.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 25 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

egad, complex? i don't see much use for that power as-is; no way i'd ever take it if it required a complex action.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 25 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Attribute Boost isn't limited by your Attribute Max. It can easily be used to give you an insane attribute score. It also lasts a number of Combat Turns (I always start the countdown with the next Turn) equal to the number of successes you score, so it's not like it runs out before you get a chance to use it.

Not that I'm defending the power. I don't like it as it's written myself. But while I would rarely design a character who had it, it's hardly a useless power with or without the Complex Action cost.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 26 2004, 12:09 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

i guess if your combats run the same way most combat in SR does (ie, never lasts more than five rounds), it's more useful. my combats tend to run the same way, despite my best efforts, but i still can't see past the fact that i'm all but KO'ing myself for less than ten seconds of punching power (or speed, or bullet-eating, or whatever).

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Jul 26 2004, 07:06 AM
Post #9

Mr. Quote-function

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,376

Although there is no canon reference to "actions" as such, I usally end up ruling that it's a free action to activate or deactivate a power in question.
This was of certain importance when the old Bioware rules were in place, where the virtual magic attribute limited the simultaniously availible powers (and it's still of importance to me, when dealing with the 20 karma points rule, that I do not disallow when simultaniously using the extended rules on initiation as the FAQ suggests).

+Quote Post
tedhatfield
post Jul 27 2004, 12:53 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 3,909

Well it looks like you answered my question. There is no answer. I will bring it up with my GM for a ruling.

Thanks,

Ted Hatfield

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:35 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.