Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adepts of the Magician's Way, Basic MitS question
pk323
post Jul 26 2004, 07:05 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,508

This question has probably been asked before, but my searching proved fruitless...

Can adepts with Magic be aspected? Are there canon rules for that?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Jul 26 2004, 07:08 AM
Post #2

Mr. Quote-function

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,376

Rule wise: No

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Jul 26 2004, 08:29 AM
Post #3

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Well, you can take it as a geas I suppose (Shamanist geas, etc). I'd certainly allow it, although some may disagree.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 26 2004, 06:18 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i believe that there are alternate character-building rulesets out there that allow it. by the rules, however, no. a geas could imitate such a thing, but i personally don't see a geas as being a cost-reducing enough option to make up for effectively losing half of your magical ability. if you're one of those pansies who thinks roleplaying is more important than creating a badass character, go for it. pansy.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 26 2004, 06:22 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

30 BP vs. 25 BP.; about a 17% reduction in cost to be an aspected Magician.
1.00 PP/level vs. 0.75 PP/level; a 25% reduction in cost to be an aspected Physical Magician.

It's a better deal. Especially since the Physical Magician isn't losing Astral Projection in the trade, too -- they didn't have it to begin with. And there's nothing pansy about an aspected Sorcerer or an aspected Conjurer Physical Magician. Especially the latter.

+Quote Post
pk323
post Jul 26 2004, 06:25 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 6,508

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
30 BP vs. 25 BP.; about a 17% reduction in cost to be an aspected Magician.
1.00 PP/level vs. 0.75 PP/level; a 25% reduction in cost to be an aspected Physical Magician.

It's a better deal.  Especially since the Physical Magician isn't losing Astral Projection in the trade, too -- they didn't have it to begin with.

Well, that's because SR Comp doesn't address the fact that Adepts of the Magician's Way are supposed to cost more. I'm making this character for a Priority-chargen game, and Magical Adepts are Priority A, not B.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 26 2004, 06:26 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

well, real aspected magicians also get 10 extra spell points. at most, though, i guess that'd just make up for the difference.

hm. may have to try this out myself.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 26 2004, 06:27 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Well, that's because SR Comp doesn't address the fact that Adepts of the Magician's Way are supposed to cost more. I'm making this character for a Priority-chargen game, and Magical Adepts are Priority A, not B.

That's because they can do more than a traditional adept. Whether they use an aspect for their Magical Power or not, it's just something a traditional adept cannot do. So your only option is to either reduce the cost of the power itself, and thus buy more powers, or play a full magician (with or without another geas).

And yeah, I've tried the aspected Conjurer adept and he turned out remarkably well. The biggest obstacle for a conjurer is the lack of an innate Initiative boost, and as an adept that isn't an issue.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jul 27 2004, 12:55 AM
Post #9

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

And yeah, I've tried the aspected Conjurer adept and he turned out remarkably well. The biggest obstacle for a conjurer is the lack of an innate Initiative boost, and as an adept that isn't an issue.

Ooooh. :eek: That may have just made a new entry in my dirty tricks manual.

Take a physmage, give him 4 points of Magical power with Shaman's geas. Spend the remaining 3 points on various Adept abilites. Boost conjuring and charisma as much as you can, initiate him once to learn Invoking, and make him a Houngan. Now, have him summon a great form spirit and then pseudo-Channel it.

If you want to get really nasty, add some cyber and/or geas the adept powers, and make him a troll or ork. You've now got a nasty combat machine.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jul 27 2004, 01:58 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Yeah, but personally, I would rather play a normal shaman or hermetic, and get invoking, then channeling. Sure, that's tough (since getting a metamagic for an adept of the magical way means giving up the Magic point/power point - doing it twice really hurts), but worth it in the end. The only problem that I have with a Houngan is that the Loa spirit is in control, and controlled by the GM. Sure, you're super-powerful, but you're also an NPC, and the GM can have all kinds of fun with that. :)

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 27 2004, 02:20 AM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

The adept conjurer can always get Channeling, too. In exactly the same number of grades as the full shaman or hermetic. And yes, Channeling trumps Possession ten-fold, especially when combined with Invoking. :)

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jul 27 2004, 03:49 AM
Post #12

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

Well, there's nothing stopping a houngan from getting channeling as well, at least by the book. It's just that a starting physmage can't initiate twice without sacrificing a lot more Adept powers.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:53 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.