IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Racial Cost at Creation, Lack of Balance?
Tomahawk
post Jul 30 2004, 06:44 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,527

Ok I've been pondering this a bit and wanted to get some third party input. The specifics I use are with the point based generation but they could apply just as well to the priority system.

There seems to me to be a bit of inequity in the racial point costs at creation. Specifically the penalty for being an Elf seems to be too large for the benefit the player gains by being an elf. Elves gain minimal bonuses for being an elf and the cost seems to outweigh the benefit.

Here is a break down of the base races:

Elf +1 Quick, + 2 Charisma, Low Light. Net bonus attributes 3. Bonus ability 1
Ork +3 Body, +2 Strength, -1 Charisma, -1 Intelligence, Low Light. Net 3 Bonus 1
Dwarf +1 Body, +2 Strength, +1 Willpower, thermographic, Resist Disease/Toxin. Net 4 Bonus 2
Troll +5 Body, -1 quickness, +4 strength, -2 Charisma, -2 Int, Thermo, Dermal Armor, Reach. Net 4 Bonus 3.

Now obviously Troll should be the most expensive. But from this Dwarf should fall in line as the second most or the secondary most expensive alternative.

I guess it seems like the Elf gets penalized for no particular good reason. I know they have longer lives but when has that ever really come into play in Shadowrun? I imagine it is to keep them rare but they don't seem like a slightly gimped up version of what a human could do with the same points in the books...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Grimtooth
post Jul 30 2004, 06:49 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,430

:grinbig:

Wait for it.....

+Quote Post
Odin
post Jul 30 2004, 06:52 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 6,475

Thats because we hate the pointy eared dandelion eaters!

but in all seriousness they can make crazy mages and faces I mean 8 charisma???!!!?? from what I can see both elves and trolls are top of the foodchain ones big mean and scary(highest strength and Bod) and ones pretty and dainty :S (Highest Quickness and Charisma and no penalties!)

+Quote Post
Grimtooth
post Jul 30 2004, 06:54 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

yes that's true. Scary faces but no better mages or shamans.

8 charisma for the elf vs 7 willpower for the dwarf

way better at tossing killer spells than the elf.

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Jul 30 2004, 06:57 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 825

Not all penalties/bonuses on certain races are stat-related.

+Quote Post
Grimtooth
post Jul 30 2004, 06:59 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

now we get into the racism part of the equation.

Unless you REALLY play it up, its not a penalty.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 30 2004, 07:00 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

For elves and dwarves, the difference in cost is more of a popularity contest than a game balance one. Elves are "too popular" so putting them Priority C helps keep their numbers relatively limited, whereas dwarves (despite having some overall great benefits) aren't as popular, so they're cheaper at Priority D.

Trolls and orks are seperated for the opposite reason; game balance. If they had the same costs, more people who prefer to build characters based on their stats would probably play a troll (which are eight times more rare than an ork) over an ork. So that's why they have a disparity there.

Just as an aside, you left out the biggest penalty for a dwarf and one of the biggest ones for the troll: Dwarves have to pay +10% for much of their equipment to be adjusted for their size, and trolls have to pay +25%.

Here's also a better breakdown for an elf's "net cost:"

Bonus Attribute Points: 3 (6 Build Points, even though they should cost more since Humans can only get a single attribute over 6 with this edge).
Exceptional Attribute Points: 3 (6 Build Points, even though the Charisma one should cost more since Humans can only apply EAP once per attribute).
Low-Light Vision: 2 Build Points
Bad Karma: -5 Build Points
Racism: ~-1 Build Point
Net Total: 8+ Build Points
Actual Cost: 10 Build Points

So they're basically paying less than 2 Build Points for the ability to have two more Bonus Attribute Points and one extra level of Exceptional Attribute Point applied over a human. Don't really see the problem there.

+Quote Post
Grimtooth
post Jul 30 2004, 07:03 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

That's a good breakdown of why elves cost 10 pts to play, according to 3e rules.

Tomahawk? What to you think?

Are player scum? Can we REALLY trust them?

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Jul 30 2004, 07:03 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

It doesn't have to be extreme for it to be a problem.

+Quote Post
Odin
post Jul 30 2004, 07:05 PM
Post #10

Target

yes that's true. Scary faces but no better mages or shamans.

8 charisma for the elf vs 7 willpower for the dwarf

way better at tossing killer spells than the elf

well actually a Wakyambi makes the best mage :P

+Quote Post
Grimtooth
post Jul 30 2004, 07:09 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

yes Odin they do.

But if we look at only the base cost of 10 pts vs 5 pts, Dwarves the best if you're on a budget.

As for the racism issue, if your players commonly refer to each other as ugly trog and tree hugger or one of your players street name is Norm because he is a human, bias coming from an NPC doesn't really mean anything.

Unless, it the Humanis goons and 20 or their closest friends.

+Quote Post
Odin
post Jul 30 2004, 07:11 PM
Post #12

Target

Unless, it the Humanis goons and 20 or their closest friends.

thats when it's handy to have a Ork ganger on the team

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jul 30 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #13

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

Tomahawk, if you ever get the chance, check out the cost for making a meta in 1st edition... Priority A regardless of race, suffers racism AND a random allergy. 2nd edition they took out the random allergy. Be glad you live in the diverse and politically correct 3rd edition.

+Quote Post
Tomahawk
post Jul 30 2004, 07:28 PM
Post #14

Target

Be glad you live in the diverse and politically correct 3rd edition.

I played all three editions :). I actually prefer the 1st and 2nd editions where the costs were equal for all the races. I think they found that not many people played Orks or Dwarves most likely being the reason for the change.

Well I've tried in my recent games to play the racism angle up more. Honestly they true hard core racists hate Elves as much as Trolls though. It's the incidental racism that is more harsh for the Trolls and Orks.

Not all penalties/bonuses on certain races are stat-related.

Now mind you I tend toward playing humans myself. I also know you've got the Reincarnation/Immortal/long life possibilities for Elves...though I'd never let a PC be immortal /cringe. Also they are generally liked better than others by humans.

For elves and dwarves, the difference in cost is more of a popularity contest than a game balance one. Elves are "too popular" so putting them Priority C helps keep their numbers relatively limited, whereas dwarves (despite having some overall great benefits) aren't as popular, so they're cheaper at Priority D.

Trolls and orks are seperated for the opposite reason; game balance. If they had the same costs, more people who prefer to build characters based on their stats would probably play a troll (which are eight times more rare than an ork) over an ork. So that's why they have a disparity there.

Just as an aside, you left out the biggest penalty for a dwarf and one of the biggest ones for the troll: Dwarves have to pay +10% for much of their equipment to be adjusted for their size, and trolls have to pay +25%.

I'll concede I've missed a few points here :). It bothers me that the primary and most obvious reason is balance though. I personally can generally trust my players to keep the groups balanced.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 30 2004, 07:34 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Feel free to adjust the costs however you like. It's your game. The rules are just a guideline. :)

+Quote Post
Tomahawk
post Jul 30 2004, 07:41 PM
Post #16

Target

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Feel free to adjust the costs however you like. It's your game. The rules are just a guideline. :)

true...might be a cause for a house rule

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Jul 30 2004, 07:42 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Honestly they true hard core racists hate Elves as much as Trolls though.

Yeah, but the vast majority of people who aren't even hardcore racist are going to be scared shitless by the 9 foot tall monstrosity that just walked by.

+Quote Post
Odin
post Jul 30 2004, 07:43 PM
Post #18

Target

Yeah, but the vast majority of people who aren't even hardcore racist are going to be scared shitless by the 9 foot tall monstrosity that just walked by.

True but just try telling him he has to sit at the back of the bus. :rotfl:

+Quote Post
Grimtooth
post Jul 30 2004, 07:44 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Actually its MY game.

If Tomahawk wants to run a racially biased game with new house rule....

I could use a break :spin:

/edit for spelling

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Jul 30 2004, 07:45 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

True but just try to tell him he has to sit at the back of the bus.

Like he's even going to be able to fit through the door in the first place.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Jul 30 2004, 07:50 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

The elf cost is one of the things that irks me the most about Shadowrun. Especially when compared to dwarves. If it was only me running our campaign and we were back at the beginning, I'd have inverted them.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 30 2004, 07:55 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

In my book, it's the cost for trolls that are really crippling. Sure, they can be monsters in combat, but if you want to play a "normal" troll who's physically average but smart and sophisticated, it's a major drain second only to shapeshifters and their attribute requirements.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Jul 30 2004, 07:58 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

other negatives based on race:
  • Dwarves get a penalty for trying to handle two-handed weapons (polearms and stuff).
  • Dwarves and Trolls get a penalty for trying to use weapons that haven't had their handles/triggers adjusted for their smaller size.
  • Dwarves get a running modifier penalty.
  • Dwarves pay +10% extra for all equipment costs.
  • Trolls pay +25% extra for all equipment costs.
Also note that many people consider bonuses to mental stats to be worth more than bonuses to physical stats. The physical stats are usually much cheaper (in terms of both nuyen and essence cost) to modify than the mental ones.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 30 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

I've always wanted to make a dwarf kickboxer/capoeira master just for the novelty of it.

+Quote Post
Tomahawk
post Jul 30 2004, 08:05 PM
Post #25

Target

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
In my book, it's the cost for trolls that are really crippling. Sure, they can be monsters in combat, but if you want to play a "normal" troll who's physically average but smart and sophisticated, it's a major drain second only to shapeshifters and their attribute requirements.

I'd agree with that.

Don't get me started on shapeshifters. A player wanted to try one recently...I'm not sure how you can make one that isn't absolutely feeble next to a standard character. Paying for the stats twice is just painful.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:56 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.