IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Renraku Arcology - The Tree of Life, The Arcology just got worse...
Ronin Soul
post Aug 6 2004, 03:11 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,505

Okay I'm curious to see if anyone is interested in this campaign (ignoring my terrible record of online campaigns for a moment...).
Basically it's set within Renraku Arcology during the period where it's shut down and Deus is in control.
You know, the Banded, weird robotic drones, bizarre experiments and a struggle for the resistance to survive each and every day...
But with a few little twists. I'm not going to give to much away but Deus isn't the only thing playing God in the arcology...

Just before the arcology went down, Renraku hired a group of Shadowrunners as "independent consultants" - to test out the security of the SCIRE in the event that hostile forces actually got into it, as well as to advise security forces in techniques for dealing with intrustion (whether Matrix, physical or astral).
And then the arcology got locked down and all hell broke loose.

The player characters obviously are a part of that shadowrun team, and as they get caught up in a fight for their lives, and the lives of the other citizens of the SCIRE, they will be dragged into a struggle not just between Deus and Renraku, but between forces that no-one, not even Deus or Renraku, knew existed...

The characters have to have a reason for staying in the arcology if an escape presents itself - this could be because they want to help others escape or help the resistance (they might very well be leaders of the Resistance - this campaign starts the moment the arcology goes down) or just becuase there is billions in nuyen of paydata still in the arcology, waiting for the brave, the desperate and the plain greedy to grab it...

Characters are built using 140 build points and probably enjoy a good reputation with Renraku - they might even be company men who have sold out to the corporation.
The main book and the various rules supplements (Cannon Companion, Magic in the Shadows etc.) are all fine, though I don't have Rigger 3. There will be a lot of stuff going on in the Matrix, though you won't necessarily need to be a decker to see it...

As I said, the campaign starts just as the shutdown happens so it'll be quite a lethal campaign. The gung-ho needn't apply.

So, is anyone interested?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FXcalibur
post Aug 6 2004, 03:19 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,206

Yeah, pretty interested.

+Quote Post
Phyrexus
post Aug 6 2004, 03:22 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 6,470

Ooh. Sounds interesting. I'll sign up.

+Quote Post
spitfire gecko
post Aug 6 2004, 03:23 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,509

Echo that.

+Quote Post
Beast of Revolut...
post Aug 6 2004, 04:12 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,140

I'd like to play a tech-savy sammy with demolitions expertise. The perfect guy to get us around the arcology, by hotwiring doors, knocking them down, or just making new ones.

+Quote Post
Ronin Soul
post Aug 6 2004, 05:07 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Well, 4-6 players will be the maximum (Any more and it becomes too hard to do).
So far:
FXcalibur
Phyrexus
spitfire gecko
Beast of Revolutions

two more at most and we'll be fine!

So, feel free to post up character concepts and we'll see what we get!
(Just a little heads-up - as annoying as they can be, a decker or otaku would be a decent idea - after all, it *is* Deus we're talking about here ^_^)

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Aug 6 2004, 05:35 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 5,676

Count me in. Been way to long since I played a decker. Maybe I should play an otaku working for Mirage. Does Mirage have otaku followers yet, or does he only start recruiting after the arcology?

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Aug 6 2004, 06:26 AM
Post #8

Running Target

On review of the Matrix book, looks like Mirage isn't awakened until after Deus attacks. Maybe Magaera then. I could be a tribeless otaku who has been spying on Renraku for her by being part of the "consultant" team with the other PCs, gathering information she can use to work her revenge against Renraku, her hated creators. The character would have received otaku training directly from Megaera rather than from a tribe, and when the arcology closes up, he could desperately try to recontact her.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 6 2004, 06:44 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Are you going on a first-come first-serve basis? If not, count me in as a potential candidate. :D

+Quote Post
Blitz
post Aug 6 2004, 07:09 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,422

Id love to give it a go. I'm thinking a female Jayne Cobb (if anyone was a fan of firefly). Basically your cutthroat mercenary who's always looking for the big payday, a little on the dumb side but loyal enough to whoever ends up being the leader to keep a reign on her (or him...still deciding gender). Let me know if there is still room.

+Quote Post
Ronin Soul
post Aug 6 2004, 08:20 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Well I guess seven would be okay... it might slow down combats a bit but I'm planning on keeping them fairly free-form anyway to minimise dice-rolling...
So we have:
FXcalibur
Phyrexus
spitfire gecko
Beast of Revolutions
Panzergeist
Doctor Funkenstein
Blitz

And that's it! Unless of course one of you drops out at some point...

Anyway, post character concepts here!
The group doesn't necessarily have had to work before - they could very well be a number of independents who Renraku has brought together.
But of course they could always be a team that has worked together for ages. It doesn't make a huge difference.

140 build points, metatypes are allowed. Shapeshifters are okay I suppose... though only one maximum in the group. Ghouls are a no-no - this is Renraku after all!
Cultured bioware is allowed, as is betaware cyberware.
Each character is allowed to purchase one item with an availability of over eight (or a bunch of an item if you want to start with APDS for example).
That's about it in terms of rules I can think of... send characters to me by PM or at kartzoffs@bigpond.com

For those of you who are familiar with Renraku Arcology: Shutdown and the events surrounding it, I'm fiddling with things a bit, including the layout of the arcology a little bit. Just an advance warning so you guys can't accuse me of fudging things ! ^_^

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Aug 6 2004, 08:41 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

Is it too late to join up? I've got a character I was making for another game, but life got in the way. He's an adrenalin junkie sammy type who got so into using chips to take care of necessary skills that he's barely got any skills of his own now (Rating 6 skillwires, enhanced articulation, basically anything else that worked very well in general). He can do anything, though he needs the right chip for the job. He even has a pretty good decking ability, though no deck to work with.

That or, if it doesn't sound to munchie, an albino gnome bat shaman I've been playing with... has a phobia of being stepped on and as such makes good use of his levitate spell to stay above everyone else. He ends up floating above the party most of the time.

JaronK

+Quote Post
Blitz
post Aug 6 2004, 08:42 AM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 2,422

Ooo...good point. I was also looking at going skill wires...any house rules on that?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 6 2004, 08:55 AM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Hmm. Oh, Hell, I'm desperate so I'll give it a shot. Lemme know if he sounds promisings. I just threw the background together from various notes so excuse all the grammatical and spelling errors -- it's just a rough draft. :)

ALBRECHT "RAGING BULL" KOHHENBURG
Troll Combat Biker (Million-Nuyen Samurai)

Albrecht Kohhenburg was born on April 21st, 2033 in the Trollkönigreich Schwarzwald. There he earned a quiet but honest living working in his family's chocolate factory. Life was good if uneventful, but Albrecht always dreamed of one day changing his stars and becoming famous. Little did he know that his opportunity was just around the block...

On his eighteenth birthday, Albrecht took a vacation to Berlin with two his best friends when they ran into some trouble with a group of Humanis go-gangers at a gas station. Unbeknownst to Albrecht, a scout for the Baton Rouge Red Devils was enjoying lunch in a cafe across the street when he single-handedly showed the Gruppen Grün why you don't torque off a troll. An hour later, he was signing a contract and by the end of the week he had a passport and was on his way to the CAS.

It didn't take long for Albrecht "Raging Bull" Kohhenburg to make a name for himself on the combat biking circuit. Within two years he was the starting linebiker for the Red Devils where he earned the MVP award and lead his team to the championship game four years in a row. He even managed to earn a multi-million nuyen Wheaties sponsorship by Renraku his last year in the game.

Life was fantastic. He had all the money, fame, and women he could dream of. Enthusiasts were always stopping him on the street to ask for his autograph or to take a picture with him. But all of it was just getting to be too much for him. In his heart, Albrecht was just a blue-collar factory worker and he was actually beginning to miss the simple life he had left behind. Those who knew him weren't surprised when, on June 16th of 2057, the Raging Bull held a press conference and announced his retirement from the game. He said that he wanted to get out while he was still at the top of his game, but those who were close to him knew he was just growing tired of the limelight.

Since part of Albrecht's sponsorship deal with Renraku included a free condo in the Seattle Arcology, the troll decided that's where he was going to retire. Afterall, the music scene was great and people were less likely to recognize him there than in his team's home city of Baton Rouge. In the few years that followed, slowly but surely his fame faded from the memories of many, and fewer and fewer people stopped to gawk around him whenever he went out shopping or to catch a simflick. Sadly, he had squandered most of his fortune away so when a high-up in the Renraku brass approached him with a token job offer to test out some of the arcology's latest security features, he figured "what the frag?"

He had no idea his life was about to be turned upside down...

+Quote Post
FXcalibur
post Aug 6 2004, 02:12 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Hmm. What about firearm design options, such as custom grips or integral accessories?

+Quote Post
Phyrexus
post Aug 6 2004, 04:19 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 6,470

Character Concept: Phyrexus "Phyrex" Eliff
14 year old human physad/decker.
Specializes in stealth, but is also good at decking and descent at fighting.
Yeah. Bio in soon, character sheet in after that.

+Quote Post
FXcalibur
post Aug 7 2004, 01:15 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Thinking of a battlefield tactician / sniper. Aptitude SUT. Jap lady with strong ties to renraku.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 7 2004, 04:07 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

When were you hoping to see the characters completed, Ronin?

+Quote Post
Ronin Soul
post Aug 7 2004, 06:17 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
When were you hoping to see the characters completed, Ronin?

About a week tops would be really great so we could get started as soon as possible!

And to the other questions that have been asked so far (sorry I didn't get around to them sooner!).
Sorry Jaron :( - I hate saying no, but seven players is more than enough I'm afraid. However if anybody drops out you can be first "reserve" if you like. Sorry, but it's the best I can do...

About firearm design options and similar things - I'm not going to force any particular restrictions on you. If it fits with the character, go for it!

Hmmm, it's not the best solution but it works - each character, in addition to their normal money has 50,000 :nuyen: , a karma pool of 5 if human, 3 if metahuman (less if they have flaws reducing their karma pool) and a good karma of 10 - you can't spend this good karma before the game starts! It represents the good karma you have going into the arcology with - so you can't spend it until the end of the first "chapter".
Um, is that okay with everyone?

Oh, and last point - don't worry too much about lifestyles - you won't be using them much...

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 7 2004, 06:33 AM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Groovy. Sounds cool to me.

Can we snag items beyond the Rating 6/Availability 8 limit with that 50kY (beyond the one item we get with our initial resources)?

+Quote Post
FXcalibur
post Aug 7 2004, 07:12 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

sounds good to me.

Small unit tactics can work via radio, right?

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Aug 7 2004, 07:42 AM
Post #22

Running Target

I'm working on my otaku character. Do I need to buy a lifestyle, or does Renraku provide us with food and housing in the arcology while we are doing this job for them?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 8 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

While we're waiting on Ronin Soul, how is everyone's characters coming along?

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Aug 8 2004, 10:46 PM
Post #24

Running Target

I'm going to have to drop out. I'm going to be kind of busy for the next 3 weeks, and I don't want to add any more games during that time.

+Quote Post
FXcalibur
post Aug 9 2004, 03:50 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Character's going pretty well for me. Almost done. Should have it ready soon.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:41 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.