> Tom Dowd, Just saw this today
Zolhex
post Aug 13 2004, 05:55 PM
Post #1

Project Terminus: Soul Hunters

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,798

Tom Dowd & the Language of Music (NR); Limited release
If you picked some of the all-time great albums in American rock, soul, and jazz, chances are one name might be found on the back of almost every one: Tom Dowd--the secret behind five decades of brilliant music, an unsung hero, producer and recording pioneer. From the perfection of live mixing to the introduction of eight-track recording, the mythology of exactly how much impact Dowd has had is still up for grabs. His diverse and genuine love of work is remembered in part through intimate interviews with several musical icons and personal friends.

Starring: Tom Dowd, Ray Charles, Eric Clapton, The Allman Brothers Band, Les Paul
Director(s): Mark Moormann

Is it possible this is the same Tom Dowd that once worked on Shadowrun?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Aug 13 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I think the "five decades" puts it outside the range of SR's Dowd...

~J

+Quote Post
Zolhex
post Aug 13 2004, 06:10 PM
Post #3

Project Terminus: Soul Hunters

Member No.: 5,798

Sorry have no idea how old Mr. Dowd is.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Aug 13 2004, 06:28 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

He's in his early-mid forties, so I very much doubt this is him. Last I heard he was still with FASA interactive, under Microsoft.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Aug 13 2004, 06:29 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Working on what?

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Aug 13 2004, 09:55 PM
Post #6

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Not a Shadowrun PC Game :P

+Quote Post
Fu-Man Chu
post Aug 14 2004, 12:31 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,667

Can we be so sure about that? I mean, we can hope right!?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 14 2004, 12:47 AM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

No. Didn't you see the sign over the Fanboy entrance to Microsoft? "Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here."

+Quote Post
Sargasso
post Sep 10 2004, 05:35 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,641

QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F.)
Tom Dowd & the Language of Music (NR); Limited release
If you picked some of the all-time great albums in American rock, soul, and jazz, chances are one name might be found on the back of almost every one: Tom Dowd--the secret behind five decades of brilliant music, an unsung hero, producer and recording pioneer. From the perfection of live mixing to the introduction of eight-track recording, the mythology of exactly how much impact Dowd has had is still up for grabs. His diverse and genuine love of work is remembered in part through intimate interviews with several musical icons and personal friends.

Starring: Tom Dowd, Ray Charles, Eric Clapton, The Allman Brothers Band, Les Paul
Director(s): Mark Moormann

Is it possible this is the same Tom Dowd that once worked on Shadowrun?

I met Tom Dowd, not the Shadowrun developer, the music technican. It was the spring of 2000. He was doing a presentation at Miami Beach Senior High School, here in Florida. He was a nuclear physicist who worked on the Mahattan Project team in some capacity, he seemed to feel guilty about that. After the war he turned to his real interest in physics: Music. He's one of the seminole figures in the technology of recording and playing music. Sometimes, it's good living in a city like Miami.

Anyway, he's not the same guy, I asked. :-P Cool guy none the less.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 10 2004, 05:50 PM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

We should get him writing Shadowrun material just so we can confuse people.

~J

+Quote Post
Sargasso
post Sep 10 2004, 05:51 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Heck, he might write really good cyberware and tech for Shadowrun. I've never seen sonic weapons for Shadowrun, have you?

+Quote Post
bitrunner
post Sep 10 2004, 09:07 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,915

Tom was at Gencon last month, ironically, at the booth right around the corner from FanPro. Imagine my shock when i'm looking at the SR books and look up and see Tom standing there with a grin on his face. Ironically, it seemed that most of the people around had no idea who he was - I was like "OHMYGOD! IT'S TOM!" Talked to him for about half an hour. He is no longer with Microsoft/Fasa Interactive, but has moved over to another developer (can't remember which one). He is also involved with a text based online adventure game where he has helped in developing the world. In a world of multiplayer games that get dull after a while, like Star Wars Galaxies, because they are weak on content, this game seemed to concentrate more on content and story - hence it is text based rather than graphics. I don't have the flyers with me here at work, but Tom was very proud of the work, and i'm sure that if he was involved, it is a rich world...

BTW, Tom has only briefly followed the progress of the game, and is proud that it has endured and grown into the success it is today...He was very supportive of the Shadowrun Missions campaign and was surprised at the numbers we were showing at the tournaments and other events at the con.

PS: there is a sonic weapon in SOTA:2064

+Quote Post
Sargasso
post Sep 10 2004, 11:20 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

A sonic weapon is SOTA '64? Will wonders never cease? Of course not, that's the point of SOTA.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:32 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.