Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2 Magic related Questions, Weapon foci and Toxic Paranormals
toturi
post Aug 14 2004, 03:12 PM
Post #1

Canon Companion

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,187

1) If a mage burnt out, can he still gain the benefit of his weapon focus?

2) A Toxic wereform was a Sterile shaman, what is he doing with a Severe Allergy to Purified Air and Water? I mean he's supposed to draw power from the sterility of purified air and water, doesn't he?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 14 2004, 03:15 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

1) If in doing so he hits Magic 0, no.

2) Unless "Sterile" is some kind of obscure totem hidden deep within an equally obscure sourcebook, that sounds like an imaginery problem you came up with for an imaginery totem that doesn't make much sense.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Aug 14 2004, 03:19 PM
Post #3

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
2) Unless "Sterile" is some kind of obscure totem hidden deep within an equally obscure sourcebook, that sounds like an imaginery problem you came up with for an imaginery totem that doesn't make much sense.

Target: Wastelands

Sterile Domains and Sterile Shamans.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 14 2004, 03:27 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

You could make the assumption that "sterile" in this sense is rather different than "purified." Think of breathing the constantly recycled stuff inside an airplane, or maybe the dusty dry air of a complete wasteland, scrubbed of life.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 14 2004, 03:28 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Ah, so I was right. Obscure totem in an obscure book. :) I don't have that book within arm's reach and it's too early to walk across the room to snag it, so I'm just going to have to run on the assumptions the "totem" gives.

I imagine they would tend to be Avenger toxic shamans instead of poisoners. They would go about destroying polluters. The amount of pollution in their sterile environment would have been the cause of their insanity (thus leading them to be more prone to becoming toxic than normal magicians I imagine), and they would use their influence over that pollution to use it directly against those that would pollute while simultaneously doing what they can to clean the area in the meanwhile, at which point they would gain the power of their sterile environment again (ie, switching from one source of power to the other) even if they're allergic to it. Which doesn't make any sense for Avengers anyway.

I think the concept is pretty silly all around, myself. Sterile environments are every bit as alien in nature as toxic environments are, afterall, so they should be just as corrupt already. I dunno. Ignorance is a bitch, but my laziness today trumps it.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Aug 14 2004, 03:33 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Sterile environments are just as corrupt. Reference Space.

~J

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Aug 14 2004, 03:43 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

Perhaps they just couldn't bring themselves to give Sterile-oriented toxic critters a Severe Allergy to purified emotion.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 14 2004, 03:47 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Shadowrunner: Okay, we bust in there, and the trolls start singing kum-by-ya while the mage and I give him a big hug. Ready? Go!

+Quote Post
mfb
post Aug 14 2004, 04:56 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

haha. you know, i bet most shadowrunners would rather walk through fire than follow AH's plan. "damn... uh, can't we just, y'know, shoot him or something? i'm, i'm really not comfortable with, y'know, hugging and stuff."

+Quote Post
toturi
post Aug 15 2004, 12:35 AM
Post #10

Canon Companion

I can see it now... "OK, guns don't work, fists don't work either. So you want us to get in there and kiss him unconscious?"

+Quote Post
BIG BAD BEESTE
post Aug 15 2004, 03:42 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,274

Just watch out for those oral spurs guys... :eek:

+Quote Post
Young Freud
post Aug 16 2004, 12:56 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,423

Sterile domains aren't lifeless places in the "stripped of organic life" sense (that's Desolate enviroments). The text mentions that Sterile domains are "regimented, cold, and sterile" and where the "human spirit has been polluted". No emotion or passion, just cold, calculating, and efficient. Instead of being deformed and mutated, Sterile domains and shamans would be the pinnacle of idealized perfection.

Perfect example of a Sterile domain: Hitler's Germania, designed by Albert Speer. Germania was to be the capital of the Hitler's Thousand Year Reich after he flattened Berlin and build on top of it using slave labor.

Perhaps this Toxic wereform would be some weird "back to nature" type person, where "nature" is carefully manicured and in order, a bizarre parody of the irrational wilderness.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:46 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.