IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gang questions, Just a bunch of gang questions...
Doctor Rat
post Aug 14 2004, 06:37 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,463

Okay, first off... I wanted to know if anyone played or GMed a game in which the characters were all part of a gang, and they did missions for that gang?

Did it work, do you think it would work?

If you did, what gang did you play with...

In Shadowrun Companion I liked the gangs they described, my favorites were the Halloweeners and the Spiders (I think I might have gotten their name wrong, its been a while.) It seems like they would make for an interesting game...

My last question is about the spiders gang. Shadowrun Companion claims it's members all go on a quest from the spider totem, does that mean most, if not all of them, are shamans, or for non-shaman characters does it just assume they've been spoken to by Spider?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Aug 14 2004, 07:08 PM
Post #2

Guests

One of the things that I find interesting is how pathetic gangers are in Shadowrun compared to their real-life equivalents, especially given the fact that it seems to have actually gotten much easier to be heavily armed. but then you look at, say, the troll ganger archetype from SR3 (or any ganger archetypes, really) and they are jokes. How is it that none of them have guns? It makes no effing sense. it's like the when the authors thought about referring to gangs, they figured, "Well... West Side Story was about gangs."

But then it becomes inconsistent because we have groups like the Spiders or Halloweeners described in more detail in SRComp.

WTF.

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Aug 14 2004, 07:21 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

Link to a long running gang campaign here on the boards.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Aug 14 2004, 07:24 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Ganger campaigns are actually fairly common, at least if the Welcome to the Shadows board is any indication. All kinds of examples can be found there. They seem to work out fairly well.

You can use the gangs from the books, but most gang campaigns create a new gang for the PCs, who are generally either lieutenants in the gang, or in the process of rebuilding a recently-decimated gang back up again (both of the ones that I played in were the latter).

The Spiders' recruits can be mundane or awakened.

The Spiders and the Halloweeners are both extremely brutal gangs - they are interesting, to be sure, but they would probably only be suitable for a very amoral campaign.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Aug 14 2004, 10:04 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

As a plot hook, it can work very well - you just have to account for the fairly common duplication of skills.

Or some pretty colorful backgrounds to describe otherwise unobtainable skills.

-Siege

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Aug 14 2004, 10:59 PM
Post #6

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

The gangers can have guns, but in the streets "A gun is good backup" Then something about if you can't bust heads with your bare hands you're a little girl.

Seriously, any punk can wave a gun around but that won't get him any respect, beat some slag down and that might just get you a little. Rep and Respect is everything to the ganger.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Aug 14 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #7

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Depends on your take on gangs - a lot of times, gang members carry guns simply for the respect they feel it gives them.

And if people don't respect them, they can inspire fear instead - which, to a lot of people, is indistinguishable from the other.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Aug 15 2004, 01:25 AM
Post #8

Guests

hahahaha

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Aug 15 2004, 02:58 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Crimsondude:
I don't think the gangs are actually inconsistent. I think one of the big things to keep in mind is that Shadowrun has places like the Barrens where conditions are more like third world ghettos than any place currently existing in the U.S. Sprawling slums where the residents have been completely written off by the government and nearly everybody else, and have to scrounge for everything. That's where you get a lot of these "pathetic" gangs from. These are the ones where guns and cyber are a rarity, where they have weapons that Shadowrunners would laugh at like Streetline Specials and Knives.

But gangs like the Ancients, the Cutters, and the Spikes are more like the Crips, Bloods, or Aryan Nation today. They are professional criminals who can get their hands on automatic weapons, and cyberware will be fairly common.

+Quote Post
Large Mike
post Aug 15 2004, 05:17 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 2,062

I was going to pimp the Bleeding Edge, but Voor beat me too it.

Running a ganger campaign was great because a) I said from the outset that gangers die, and never had to skimp on the death-dealing. Nobody minded alot, and I never did it gratuitously (sp?), so it worked. B) I got to turn the brutal knob up to 9 and slowly make it higher and higher. I had plans to crank it up to 12. It was a wonderful social experiment for me.

Just remember; whoever came up with the descriptors 'nasty, brutish, and short', was referring to gang life.

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Aug 15 2004, 05:20 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

I'm just proud that Nick survived the longest of anyone. Well, except Mickey...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:06 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.