IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun Quick Start Rules, Is it worth it?
mrobviousjosh
post Aug 17 2004, 08:02 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,560

Since there are no long-term veterans to the game, I've only played a few sessions myself, some newbies, and a DM who is vaguely familiar with the world and game mechanics, would $7.00 or so be a worthwhile investment? I know it's not a ton of cash, but it's a third towards a sourcebook or another corebook. At present, to get everyone familiarized, we were going to use the template characters from the core book and The Family Jewel adventure (found here ---> http://www.shadowrunrpg.com/resources/) as an alternative. It's supposed to be specifically designed for newbies to the game world and "should" be adequate, right? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Johnson
post Aug 17 2004, 09:05 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,531

Well I would safely say if you are going to play quite a bit than just a few games, then I suggest you purchase the Shadow run rule book.

The fact that you are here at the forum tells me that you are interested in getting into the genre of shadowrun and that you want to play more than one day a month.

I have been playing SR now for 8 years maybe longer but I am not counting. I don't have all the books just the ones that seem relative to my group.

When SR2 was released we bought every released publication. Well when SR3 was lauched we bought what we needed.

Yes I would say get the rule book.

+Quote Post
Namergon
post Aug 17 2004, 11:22 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 639

Well, I'm a veteran GM in Shadowrun, and I only browsed through this book, and I was (positively) surprised. Here is my opinion:
- if you're a motivated GM, if you already have the core rulebook, and you have a motivated group, you don't need Quick Start Rules
- if you don't have the core rulebook and/or you don't have any motivated player yet (you intend to make initiation games here and there to gather a group for instance), then you NEED this book.

Quick Start Rules is a book that by itself allows a starting GM to
- familiarize with the concepts of the game
- familiarize with the concepts of the game mechanics (all the basics of the rules are included, plus some things are simplified)
- run a "sit and play" game (an adventure is included, along with ready to play characters).

After I browsed this book recently, I saw how I could use it to introduce Shadowrun to new players, especially players new to the RPG world, because of the simplicity of the basic rules, because of the fact that everything is given so that 15mn after the players sit down, they know enough to start the adventure and enjoy it. Surely I will use this book.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Aug 17 2004, 01:52 PM
Post #4

Man In The Machine

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,105

The Quick start rules are the sorta thing you can throw at someone and say "Here, read this". The BBB isnt. Well worth it.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Aug 17 2004, 02:28 PM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Are the quick start rules at all different from the BBB, or just less numerous? If they're the same, you may consider buying one copy of each (I know, it increases the investment, but it nearly doubles the number of people who can be learning the game simultaneously for much less than the cost of a second BBB).

~J

+Quote Post
Namergon
post Aug 17 2004, 02:33 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

From what I overviewed, they are a bit simplified here and there in Quick Start Rules. I didn't read closely enough yet to give details. But the book summarize in roughly 50 pages the (basic at least) rules for combat, magic, matrix, vehicles (?), social interaction. It also gives some basic gear and cyberware. Not many games can do that. :eek:

+Quote Post
mrobviousjosh
post Aug 17 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (Namergon)
Well, I'm a veteran GM in Shadowrun, and I only browsed through this book, and I was (positively) surprised. Here is my opinion:
- if you're a motivated GM, if you already have the core rulebook, and you have a motivated group, you don't need Quick Start Rules
- if you don't have the core rulebook and/or you don't have any motivated player yet (you intend to make initiation games here and there to gather a group for instance), then you NEED this book.

- familiarize with the concepts of the game mechanics (all the basics of the rules are included, plus some things are simplified)
- run a "sit and play" game (an adventure is included, along with ready to play characters).

After I browsed this book recently, I saw how I could use it to introduce Shadowrun to new players, especially players new to the RPG world, because of the simplicity of the basic rules, because of the fact that everything is given so that 15mn after the players sit down, they know enough to start the adventure and enjoy it. Surely I will use this book.

We've got two copies of the rulebook already though, lol. I was just talking about an intro. though. We've also got a copies of Cannon Companion and New Seattle (on loan).

+Quote Post
mrobviousjosh
post Aug 17 2004, 10:21 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (mrobviousjosh)
QUOTE (Namergon @ Aug 17 2004, 06:22 AM)

We've got two copies of the rulebook already though, lol. I was just talking about an intro. though. We've also got a copies of Cannon Companion and New Seattle (on loan).

Wow, that does sound good. So far I've been hearing "full speed ahead" on the purchase, especially for the introduction of new players (we have a new GM- though somewhat familiar of the world, myself as a fairly new player, an oldschooler as the assistant GM who played in 2nd and has picked up 3rd and read it, and then three or four new players depending on schedules). In any event, with the composition of this group and the information you've provided, it sounds like we should purchase it. Other than the background information from Shadowrun Missions (which is great btw), the shadowrun timeline, and maybe a little bit of New Seattle, what else should the players and GM read to get a REAL grasp of the game? (I don't think there's a shot of getting anyone to read a novel just yet). Also, I really haven't had a chance to flip through New Seattle. Does it have anything that a new GM could use to familiarize/run to aid in the POV for life in the city? A sample run maybe? Thanks again guys.

+Quote Post
Connor
post Aug 17 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

QUOTE (mrobviousjosh)
We've got two copies of the rulebook already though, lol.  I was just talking about an intro. though.  We've also got a copies of Cannon Companion and New Seattle (on loan).

If that's the case the only reason you'd probably need or want the quick start rules would be to get everyone introduced to the rules quickly. If everyone wants to sit down with the BBB and get familiar with the rules you can probably pass. If people just want to get to playing and worry about all the rules later on, then you may find a use for the quick start rules.

I'll close by saying this, if you're worried over spending $7 (and I can be at times) and you have two copies of the BBB just don't worry about the quick start rules.

[edit]

You might look at reading some of the short stories available on the Shadowrun Website and the short stories that Ancient History has posted on his site for easily available fiction.

+Quote Post
mrobviousjosh
post Aug 17 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Cool. Thanks guys your insight was REALLY helpful. Yeah, if we purchase it to get started right away then it would probably be a group contribution of like a dollar each, lol. I just didn't want to spend the money myself, make the GM, or recommend it to the group if it ended up sucking, lol. Thanks again.

+Quote Post
Namergon
post Aug 18 2004, 08:25 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

- everyday life information: Sprawl Survival Guide is a must. New Seattle will help fleshing out some places and with local organized crime, Lone Star and game ideas.
- Corporate Download is important in that it describes one the most important player in the shadows: the corporate world. All the megacorporations are described, with plenty of plots, and game ideas.

+Quote Post
mrobviousjosh
post Aug 18 2004, 11:08 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Those do sound like good choices to pick up. The list keeps growing...lol. But, it's worth it. :cyber:

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Aug 18 2004, 08:39 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

Everyone has failed to mention one thing the Quick-Start rules also has: A basic shadowrun. In my opinion, the book is worth it for the adventure alone, if you're a fan of pre-made adventures/runs. It might need some mods depending on the team, but basically it's an interesting run.

Short description of the run:
[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Namergon
post Aug 19 2004, 07:42 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE ("Namergon")

QUOTE ("snowRaven)
Everyone has failed to mention one thing the Quick-Start rules also has: A basic shadowrun.

:P

+Quote Post
Namergon
post Aug 19 2004, 07:50 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Note about Matrix rules: they are very simplified, with Computer skill used to make search tests, and resolve combat, damage is stun.
Note about rigger: no rules.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.