Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dermal Plating Question...
ShadowGhost
post Aug 19 2004, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,928

Dermal Plating adds body and armor, adding it's rating to both?

For the armor, is it just Ballistic, or Impact, or both?

The description on page 300 of SR3 is rather vague.

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Aug 19 2004, 04:25 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Just adds to Body for Dermal Plating.

Bone Lacing adds some armor (depending on the substance used to lace the bones).

Not sure if Dermal Sheathing adds armor or not, but plain ole Dermal Plating just adds dice to Body for damage resistance tests.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Aug 19 2004, 04:29 PM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I think you've got that backwards. Dermal plating is the heavier stuff, while sheathing is lighter.

~J

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Aug 19 2004, 04:32 PM
Post #4

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

Nope Dermal Plating is the "body-only" version
Dermal Sheath is the one wil some armor effect as well

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Aug 19 2004, 04:33 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

So it provides no armor then?

If so, that description deserves an award for the "Most Vague Description of Cyberware." I've ever read, as it mentions armor three times in one paragraph:

Dermal Plating is anything but subtle, and it limits skin flexibility.The armor plates may be tailored to any surface texture or color. Dermal armor comes in three strengths, which affect the level of surgical invasion, The character's body is increased by the armor's rating but it does not assist in healing.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Aug 19 2004, 04:42 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

Dermal Pating consists of sticking a bunch of armor plates in your body, making you bulkier and more resistant to damage in a general sense. Dermal Plating adds its rating to Body, and only for damage resistance tests (SR3 pg 300)

Dermal Sheathing is a full-body covering (though I suppose you could ask for certain parts to not be covered...) that is more advanced than Dermal Plating. Not only is it more effective than Dermal Plating - it adds Rating + 1 to body for damage resistance tests - but it also grants an Impact armor bonus equal to 1/2 rating, rounded up (+1 Imp at ratings 1 or 2, +2 at rating 3). The dermal sheath can also encorporate ruthenium, for display or cloaking purposes. (MM pg 28)

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Aug 19 2004, 04:42 PM
Post #7

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

You might want to take a look at p. 283, where the two basic armor types in SR are described ...

Dermal Plating = dermal armor
Dermal Sheat = dermal armor + external armor in one

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Aug 19 2004, 05:09 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Thanks for the clarification now I get to remove coding for Dermal Plating from my GM program (I only include Cyberware that adds armor for purposes of Damage Resistance, and vision enhancements.)

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 19 2004, 06:39 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Eh?

Only armor for vision enhancements and Damage Resistance? And why does the latter exclude Dermal Plating? Damage Resistance is the only thing it affects (as opposed to Power reduction).

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Aug 19 2004, 07:11 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

I think he means TN modifications.

+Quote Post
ShadowGhost
post Aug 19 2004, 08:49 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Eh?

Only armor for vision enhancements and Damage Resistance? And why does the latter exclude Dermal Plating? Damage Resistance is the only thing it affects (as opposed to Power reduction).

Vision enhancements for TN modifiers, and Cyberware that adds armor for the purpose of Damage resistance.

For tracking NPCs/PCs, you set the Body Attribute as high or low as you want it. The program is meant to speed things up for GMs, and track/automate a lot of NPC functions.

I want something that takes just a couple minutes to set up NPCs. Adding in every type of bioware, cyberware etc available means you'll spend more time creating each NPC than actually running the game. I don't know about you, but I'd rather not spend 3 hours creating 20 detailed NPCs that most likely will end up as either window dressing, or cannon fodder.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 19 2004, 09:26 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

It doesn't even take three hours to do it by hand (which I prefer anyway). But that's cool... I was just confused by your wording. But for future reference, Damage Resistance and Armor are two completely different things; you're using them as synonyms. :)

+Quote Post
Dice
post Aug 20 2004, 01:42 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 3,498

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Aug 19 2004, 09:26 PM)
But for future reference, Damage Resistance and Armor are two completely different things; you're using them as synonyms. :)

No, he meant, as he said, that he was only including cyberwear that adds armour for purposes of damage resistance

i.e. he wants to quickly calculate the Damage Resistance test, so needs to know the armour rating so it can be subtracted from the power of the attack to get the target number for the resistance test.

So yes, armour and damage resistance are two different things, but they are related.

Perhaps you would have prefered that he had said "for the puposes of determining the target number of the damage resistance test I am only including cyberwear with armour in my GM program", but it was still clear what he meant in his original post

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:29 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.