IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The power of suggestion?, Control Manipultation spells.
Badmojo
post Aug 19 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,373

So I was just tinkering with an NPC Mage, thinking of making a mage interpretation of a jedi.

So whats the deal with Control thoughts and Influence? The only difference is that Control thoughts has a +1(S) for drain instead of S. Okay so in Control thoughts, i'm sustaining the spell so that i can continue to give commands. While Influence im casting once and planting a suggestion in the target of the spell and continuing on with business. Thats the idea im getting from the description.

1. I'm casting Control thoughts which is a complex action, it states you can give commands as a simple action. Do I have to wait untill next action phase to give a command since casting the spell is a complex action?

2. Control Actions, The said mage casts the spell on a PC. He orders the PC to shoot his fellow runners. Does the Caster also have control over the Combat Pool of the controlled runner?

3. Magic Fingers=Darth Vader choke. :dead:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Aug 19 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

1. yes
2. No, control actions doesn't let you at the skills or pools.
3. Called shot with ranged melee and the +2 for delicate work with magic fingers results in a nasty TN and barely hurts the target unless you cast it at or above force 6. Not an efficient way to take down an opponent.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Aug 19 2004, 11:50 PM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Is choking someone really "delicate work"?

~J

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Aug 20 2004, 12:11 AM
Post #4

Runner

Ok, delicate isn't really the word, but all actions by way of magic fingers are at +2 to the TN.

+Quote Post
Just Jonny
post Aug 20 2004, 12:25 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,308

I think the telekinetic choke would be totally doable. While it would require a high force, and thus would be inefficient, the point of a telekinetic choke isn't really efficiency, as I see it.

+Quote Post
KillaJ
post Aug 20 2004, 01:00 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,177

I have always figured that a 3 Stooges style eye poke was the best way to directly attack someone with magic fingers. I dont know how much damage it is likely to do, but it's got to be awfully distracting.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Aug 20 2004, 03:35 AM
Post #7

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

For the Vader choke, you really want a Use Skill: Unarmed spell.

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Aug 20 2004, 05:00 AM
Post #8

UMS O.G.

Member No.: 6,335

The way to attack most NPC's with Magic fingers is to pull the pins on their grenades. Flip their safety, drop their clips, flip up goggles, hit quick relase on their ruck/assault harness, pull helmet over their eyes, flip the off switch on the motorcycle, give their scope/lasersight a good wack (or quick release it), snatch foci off their owners (boy does this piss them off), turn off radios, pull out earpieces. Sure you can throw manaball but this works great for oppenents in cover, you are wounded, you are sustaining several spells, heavy visibility modifiers, opponent has shielding. One success at 8-9 is a hell of a lot easier than a resisted willpower check in the same circumstances.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 20 2004, 06:05 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

A target number of 6 is the bare minimum for the magician to perform many of those actions, and that's just for the Spellcasting Test not to mention the Quickness Test (of which you only get a number of dice equal to the number of successes on the previous test, and a TN of 6 for most of those tests) that can often be required. A simple grade 3 initiate with Shielding (TN is now 9) and 6 dice set aside (with their TN equal to your force and each one of theirs countering one of yours) for it will ruin any chances of that spell succeeding unless you're phenomenally lucky.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Aug 20 2004, 06:27 AM
Post #10

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

And let's not forget vision mods like lighting.

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Aug 20 2004, 06:38 AM
Post #11

UMS O.G.

Member No.: 6,335

Where do you get the base target number of 6? No skills are involved so no +2 and these are all simple actions mostly involving pulling/pushing/twisting. As far as lighting you can use any form of vision enhancement because the spell is already cast. Shielding plays no part in the equation because it only aplies to spell resistance tests. Nothing you are doing would allow such a test. Is it great, no, but again, it can be effective in some circumstances.

Edit: For target six. Aside from casting the spell that is.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 20 2004, 06:51 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

The base target number of six is the base target number for the spell. A Quickness Test can be requested of just about any action, with the description of something as simple as picking up a coin as being one such example. Each of those Quickness Tests should have a TN of 6 (base TN of 4 +2 for the spell's fine control penalty, not to mention another +2 or +1 penalty for sustaining the spell in the first place), or a bare minimum of 4 (plus sustaining penalty) if it's pathetically simple like pushing a button. Shielding applies fully to the situation as you are using a spell against the defended targets; Shielding increases the target number by the initiate's grade and gives the initiate the opportunity to roll his dice with a TN equal to the force of your unwelcome spell, just as it does for all spells cast on or against the protected target.

Your GM has simply been far too lenient with you if he lets you get away with any of those actions you described that easily. Especially if he's not allowing spell defense against any non-damaging spell targeted against the protected individuals. Magic Fingers is no exception. While it is a good spell, it's not that good.

+Quote Post
Thistledown
post Aug 20 2004, 02:14 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,155

It's a sustained spell though. You don't re-cast it for every action. Once you have it up, you could have quickness tests involved, but sence your opponent can't see the hands and doesn't expect it, I wouldn't expect this very often. And as stated, almost none of these are skill tests, so they just happen.

There is no resistance because it is not cast at anybody either. Telekenetic manips rarely do if I recall. Shielding has absolutely nothing to do with magic fingers because it's the same as shielding against a brick flying at you. In this case, it's a slow brick you can't see.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Aug 20 2004, 02:38 PM
Post #14

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Thistledown)
It's a sustained spell though. You don't re-cast it for every action. Once you have it up, you could have quickness tests involved, but sence your opponent can't see the hands and doesn't expect it, I wouldn't expect this very often. And as stated, almost none of these are skill tests, so they just happen.

There is no resistance because it is not cast at anybody either. Telekenetic manips rarely do if I recall. Shielding has absolutely nothing to do with magic fingers because it's the same as shielding against a brick flying at you. In this case, it's a slow brick you can't see.

You may recast this spell again and again until you get enough successes to satisfy you, but you may not get over the Force of the spell in Quickness and Strength. So if on the average you get 2-3 successes on the casting, then you have only 2-3 Quickness and Strength. With only 2-3 Quickness, you will have trouble doing things like pulling a grenade pin or flipping a safety.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 20 2004, 03:04 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Thistledown @ Aug 20 2004, 08:14 AM)
There is no resistance because it is not cast at anybody either.  Telekenetic manips rarely do if I recall.  Shielding has absolutely nothing to do with magic fingers because it's the same as shielding against a brick flying at you.  In this case, it's a slow brick you can't see.

No it's not. It's the same as having a magical brick thrown at you because the brick itself is magical. Fling is about the only one that does indirect damage. But if you want to use Magic Fingers to pick up a pebble and hurl it at that button you want to push, I might allow you to get away with it. Unfortuantely, that becomes a normal Ranged Combat Test with what is likely a defaulted skill (+4 TN penalty), the fine control penalty (+2), the sustaining penalty (+2), range based off the piddly Strength of the spell, and all other ranged combat modifiers as applicable. That's a base TN of 12 before the other mods, using only the 2-3 dice your effective Strength is giving you. And now the target gets to dodge to boot. Good luck.

Using Magic Fingers against something or someone who isn't protected by spell defense (or Shielding, or Reflecting, or Absorption, etc.), that's another story. But Magic Fingers is not immune to spell defense in any way.

And just for the record, picking up a coin isn't a normal skill test either, but it's one of the examples for the Quickness Test the spell can require. I always wondered why people thought this spell was so groovy. Now I realize it's because of lax GMs.

+Quote Post
Kurukami
post Aug 20 2004, 05:59 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,242

QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Thistledown @ Aug 20 2004, 10:14 PM)
It's a sustained spell though.  You don't re-cast it for every action.  Once you have it up, you could have quickness tests involved, but sence your opponent can't see the hands and doesn't expect it, I wouldn't expect this very often.  And as stated, almost none of these are skill tests, so they just happen.

There is no resistance because it is not cast at anybody either.  Telekenetic manips rarely do if I recall.  Shielding has absolutely nothing to do with magic fingers because it's the same as shielding against a brick flying at you.  In this case, it's a slow brick you can't see.

You may recast this spell again and again until you get enough successes to satisfy you, but you may not get over the Force of the spell in Quickness and Strength. So if on the average you get 2-3 successes on the casting, then you have only 2-3 Quickness and Strength. With only 2-3 Quickness, you will have trouble doing things like pulling a grenade pin or flipping a safety.

Bollocks. There's no rules anywhere to suggest that someone with a 2-3 Strength or Quickness would have trouble pulling a grenade's pin or switching on a safety. A 2 Strength, for example, means that you can carry/life 10 kilos without any trouble or encumbrance at all. Additionally, I'd love to see where it says you have to make a Quickness test to pull the pin on a grenade, either with or without Magic Fingers.

Oh, that's right. It doesn't.

Dr. Funk, that's the most preposterous reasoning I've ever seen. The brick isn't magical by any means. It was propelled by magic, but once it's up to speed the velocity and mass aren't magical. You could use the same argument against Fling; therefore, your arguments are of dubious validity. And it's far more than a pebble -- even one success on the roll means you can pick up and handle a 5-kilo object with no trouble.

Moreover, to take one of your examples, picking up a coin is arguably a simple task. From the chart on page 92 of SR3, that would make the base TN 2, +2 for using Magic Fingers, for a total TN of 4.

I can only conclude that you as a GM seem far too interested in screwing over your players with high TNs. Fortunately, most GMs fall somewhere between you and the ultra-lax types that you decry.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Aug 20 2004, 06:32 PM
Post #17

Runner

QUOTE (Kurukami)
Additionally, I'd love to see where it says you have to make a Quickness test to pull the pin on a grenade, either with or without Magic Fingers.

Oh, that's right.  It doesn't.

QUOTE (SR3 p. 197)
Even simple actions like picking up a coin may require a Quickness Test, at the gamemaster's discretion.

It's a precedent for simple tasks needing a test. Whether pulling a pin on a moving target is an easier task than picking up a stationary coin on a table is a matter of personal preference, but once you count visibility modifiers, you may actually miss.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 20 2004, 07:11 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Kurukami @ Aug 20 2004, 11:59 AM)
Dr. Funk, that's the most preposterous reasoning I've ever seen.  The brick isn't magical by any means.  It was propelled by magic, but once it's up to speed the velocity and mass aren't magical.

Which is probably why I said Magic Fingers was closer to having a magical brick being thrown at you than an actual brick (ala the Fling spell) as magic is directly manipulating something in your possesion (and thus protected by spell defense). I then went on to explain that using Magic Fingers to throw something would be closer to Fling, and thus become a Ranged Combat Test, at which point it becomes even less likely that you'll succeed.

Moreover, to take one of your examples, picking up a coin is arguably a simple task.  From the chart on page 92 of SR3, that would make the base TN 2, +2 for using Magic Fingers, for a total TN of 4.

And another +2 for sustaining the spell, for a total TN of 6. Amazing. Add visual mods and other modifiers on top of that, and it quickly grows. And you only have a couple of dice to use to get it assuming you're lucky to get a single success on the Spellcasting Test (against spell defense/shielded opponents) to begin with.

I can only conclude that you as a GM seem far too interested in screwing over your players with high TNs.  Fortunately, most GMs fall somewhere between you and the ultra-lax types that you decry.

Or more correctly, I actually GM the game as opposed to letting players get away with murder with a simple utilitarian spell. If you're using it to decimate your enemies with ease, your GM is being a shitty GM since the rules for the spell quite clearly make it less than efficient for doing many of the things mentioned earlier in the thread.

+Quote Post
Jerob
post Aug 20 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 4,405

I recently took the influence spell for my latest character and I was kind of wondering the extent that people will go along with an idea. Say if you implanted, "Go get a soybar from the vending machine" in a guard's head, would he go or say he's not hungry? Assuming you succeed when will he turn around and realize he should be guarding his post?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 20 2004, 07:21 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

No, he'd go for the snack unless someone stopped him on the way and asked something along the lines of "shouldn't you be at your post?" At that point he'd get another Willpower Test to resist the spell.

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Aug 20 2004, 07:26 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 825

Assuming you succeed when will he turn around and realize he should be guarding his post?

That's where the Willpower test stated in the spells description would come in, I think. Abandoning your post to go get a soybar isn't exactly the right thing to do, and the guard knows it. He'd more likely just pick one up from the machine on his next round, or if he's at a stationary post, maybe radio a buddy who is doing rounds to drop one off on his next pass or something.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 20 2004, 07:56 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

The spell's description mentions that the target has to be told that the action he's performing is wrong. The initial Spell Resistance Test covers the implantation of the original suggestion, and they believe it's their own (thus will concoct some reason to be doing it to rationalize it).

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Aug 20 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #23

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Aug 20 2004, 02:56 PM)
The spell's description mentions that the target has to be told that the action he's performing is wrong.  The initial Spell Resistance Test covers the implantation of the original suggestion, and they believe it's their own (thus will concoct some reason to be doing it to rationalize it).

That's my take on it as well. If the spell succeeds, the idea to perform the influenced action takes hold. Until that action is performed or someone points out what's going on, no willpower test happens. I often end up providing the target with a willpower test if the suggestion is wildly inappropriate to their morals, too. For example, if wageslave corp lover was influenced to attack a friend and employee, they'd get a test. But if they're influenced to go to the lounge for a soybar then nope, unless someone would ask why they're taking an unscheduled break.

Edit: I also interpret "told" to include body language and what not. So if someone is influenced to shoot their friend, the look of surprise and fear in their friends eyes and body language would be enough to help the target get a willpower check. Course, if the target surprises their unfortunate friend and shoots him/her in the back then .......

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Aug 20 2004, 08:26 PM
Post #24

Runner

You can have some real fun by influencing a victim in more long lasting ways. Just think of all the things attributed to post-hypnotic suggestion.

With a really good roll, the victim can be made not to believe something is there. This one gets hard if other people are around to say "Why is there a tank on your lawn?" or when the victim walks into the tank when mowing his lawn, but it does have potential.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Aug 20 2004, 08:39 PM
Post #25

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I had a character that once influenced a hellhound on guard duty to believe that he (the character) was the dog's master. Worked wonders. I let it go on for a little while, too, because I thought it was such a great idea. Then, the hellhound bumped into other hellhounds and they "asked" it why it was following the orders of the character and the hell hound resisted the suggestion. Made for an interesting night of gaming :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:43 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.