Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun Video Game
Grifter
post Aug 21 2004, 07:00 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,530

Anyone have any more info about the new shadowrun game? like is it even in production anymore? I've only seen one thing in a gameinformer or other related magazine mentioning something about it, I've been out of the loop for a little while so I missed any new updates, anyone have any more info about it or know any websites with info on it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Connor
post Aug 21 2004, 08:09 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

Any talk of a new Shadowrun video game is purely rumor and/or conjecture at this point.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Aug 21 2004, 07:16 PM
Post #3

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

Deus Ex had a shadowy-feel to it

+Quote Post
Grifter
post Aug 22 2004, 12:18 AM
Post #4

Target

I'll have to check out deus-ex then

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 22 2004, 02:51 AM
Post #5

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

minus the magic and trolls that is. basicly deus ex is cyberpunk in the begining nano-age with some interesting conspiracy stuff on top. atleast that cover deus ex 1, i have not played 2...

+Quote Post
Req
post Aug 22 2004, 05:25 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 277

IMHO, DX2 is just like DX1, with tremendous suck added on to it. There are better ways to waste 20 hours these days. :)

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Aug 22 2004, 05:51 AM
Post #7

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

So much suck was added you ask yourself if they bought their suck wholesale.

This suck was directly because the game was built from the gorund up to work on the xbox, hence horrific oversimplification and much smaller areas.

+Quote Post
Grifter
post Aug 22 2004, 06:17 AM
Post #8

Target

Anyone ever play a game and pretend it was shadowrun? I know i have done that more times than i can count for many many games o.O

+Quote Post
Dillinger
post Aug 22 2004, 06:33 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 2,492

yo the old sega genesis SR was great. I mean, it had its flaws in all, but i f'in loved that game when i was a kid. My buddies and i were talkin once about a new SR video game and we thought it mite be cool if it had a updated version of the fallout engine, or a highly developed version of the gta engine. both i think would work pretty well for the game world. Tho thats just my opinion, i mite be wrong.

+Quote Post
Grifter
post Aug 22 2004, 07:19 AM
Post #10

Target

i still play the sega genesis version, but i've run around in grand theft auto pretending it was shadowrun and enjoyed myself greatly but i'm just weird, anyone know of any shadowrun mods for popular games are out there, i've seen a lot of talk about works in progress but i've never been able to find any on any of the games i play

+Quote Post
HolyYakker
post Aug 22 2004, 07:46 AM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 6,581

Hey... I know I'm posting this multiple places but in the works is a ShadowRun: Urban Brawl mod which my friends and I are beginning to work on. If people want more info I suppose I could cross post it ot here, but, the info is so far in the General Gaming Forum. In probably two or three months I'll be looking at getting a website for the project going and then you'll be able to get updates there. Till then, if there is enough interest I can keep people informed via here.

Lemme know so I'm not just wasting your time and my typing fingers.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Aug 22 2004, 08:03 AM
Post #12

Basic info is useful when you bring something like that up..

like: Mod FOR WHAT? :D

+Quote Post
HolyYakker
post Aug 22 2004, 08:19 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 6,581

Well I said go check out the other forum for a reason... sheesh!

And besides we all know that the best engine that is out there right now is the Source Engine so this is going to be a HL2 mod or perhaps a heavy rebuild using the Source engine. Other basic info soon to come.

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Aug 22 2004, 12:38 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

Correction: Was the best engine. DOOM 3 is out now.

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
FXcalibur
post Aug 22 2004, 01:52 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,206

An engine will always have it's limitations. Doom 3 was built under the concept that combat would take place in more or less cramped close quarters. It wouldn't handle large open environments as well as, say, Far Cry, which was built exactly for that purpose.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Aug 22 2004, 06:43 PM
Post #16

For all around speed and utility I am actually preferential to Monilith's LithTech engines.

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Aug 22 2004, 06:59 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

LithTech...*shudders*

+Quote Post
Req
post Aug 22 2004, 07:34 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 277

In the interests of compatibility, I recommend the Doom1 engine. Plus it's cheap to license. ;)

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Aug 22 2004, 09:06 PM
Post #19

I'll take a competent and versatile engine anyday over one that just graphic whores it's way along. Gameplay is king.

+Quote Post
Omer Joel
post Aug 22 2004, 09:44 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 265

Check out the System Shock and Thief series: System Shock 1 and 2 are cyberpunk survival horror (quite similar to SR's Renraku Arcology), with several nice touches (and a bit of "higher" sci-fi objects such as force fields, but these aren't THAT common and don't take over the game.

While the Thief games are steampunk/fantasy, their feel is extremely Shadowrun-ish: Sneaking around, hiding downed enemies, trying not to trip alarms, lots of background involving fences, underworld "favors", organized crime and proto-fixers. They are also good for (trying to) curing munchkins: attacking guards face-to-face in Thief is often suicidical. You have to sneak, you have to plan ahead - and you need to think.

+Quote Post
Red Swami
post Aug 23 2004, 04:40 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 6,477

in the works is a ShadowRun: Urban Brawl mod which my friends and I are beginning to work on.

I've been thinking for the last six months about doing something like that for Source. Thanks for reading my mind and being more motivated than I was. (Or letting me read your mind, whatever.) :)

As much as DX1 (and, okay, 2) and SS2 are great cyberpunk RPG/action games (well, just action with DX2), they still don't have the high-tech/magic crossover that I love about Shadowrun. One more game you might check out if MMORPGs are your thing could be Anarchy Online. I can't attest to how good it is since my computer couldn't handle its requirements last time I tried playing, but a lot of the same elements seem to be there. (Yeah, okay "magic" is replaced with "nanobots," the new deus in machina, but the feeling would probably be much the same if you just pretended it was magic instead.)

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Aug 23 2004, 04:45 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 825

This suck was directly because the game was built from the gorund up to work on the xbox, hence horrific oversimplification and much smaller areas.

Not only that, but for a game all about wacky conspiracies, the writing blew harder than Dizzy Gillespie.

+Quote Post
Userlimit
post Aug 23 2004, 10:15 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 4,984

For the person who suggested a gta model for the perfect SR game, im right there with you. My friends and I have discussed the same things. It would require a lot of complexity, and perhaps an online capability, but I think it would be the best game there ever was if done correctly, maybe even with a GMing tool a la NWN.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Aug 23 2004, 10:31 PM
Post #24

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

I would prefer a Fallout style game. When computer RPGs get fancier graphics the options for character creation lessen, as seen with KotOR. I think that would be a mistake in a Shadowrun game. Focus on dialog, character options and freedom iŽd say would make for the best game. unfortunately Black IsleŽs demise suggests that wouldnŽt be very commercial.

+Quote Post
Black Mamba
post Aug 24 2004, 03:42 AM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 3,654

I know it's just a pipe dream, but I would love to see an SR game that utilized not only real space, but astral and matrix as well. I imagine it would have to be a PC game. I don't think that any of the current platforms could handle it, unless you were swapping out CD's.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:13 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.