IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drakes, What bonuses do PC drakes get?
prettz
post Aug 29 2004, 08:07 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,580

If this is supposed to be in the Dragons area, sorry about that.

What advantages and disadvantages do Drake PC get?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Aug 29 2004, 08:08 PM
Post #2

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

Uh, that's kind of covered in the books isn't it? Not sure what the legal standpoint/ds policy would be on posting it all. :/

Edit: Okay, that was a bit brief. The short version: some improved stats, a couple of nifty powers- one of them being astral armour, some improved senses and the ability to turn into a little dragon. The catch is that every dragon on the planet is after your ass.

+Quote Post
prettz
post Aug 29 2004, 08:12 PM
Post #3

Target

If I had those books I would know the bonuses, but I don't have them unfortentaley. I'm not sure I it breaks a legal standpoint, but I really don't want to buy an entire book for want is in the end no more than what six paragraphs. Makes me kinda wish they put it in the BBB where the races should be, but that's me.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Aug 29 2004, 08:16 PM
Post #4

King of the Hobos

Well since they hadn't thought of doing them until well after the BBB came out, that'd be rather problematic to say the least. ;)

+Quote Post
prettz
post Aug 29 2004, 08:18 PM
Post #5

Target

Yeah my luck, what book is it in anyway?

+Quote Post
prettz
post Aug 29 2004, 08:20 PM
Post #6

Target

Okay, let me ask this: How much info can I get from various people about PC drakes without break a legal standpoint?

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Aug 29 2004, 08:22 PM
Post #7

King of the Hobos

That's the thing. I think they're covered in both Threats 2 and Dragons of the Sixth World. I'm not too sure how much information overlaps though, have vague recollections of people complaining about it in that some was in one and not the other and vice versa.

+Quote Post
prettz
post Aug 29 2004, 08:27 PM
Post #8

Target

Well that's like a cold wind in the britches :eek: .

At this point it seems like it would be better to make up stats then. Okay, can you tell me how they work into the priority system chart at character creation? Are they A priority or something else? Or is that crossing the legal line?

+Quote Post
Young Freud
post Aug 29 2004, 08:29 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,423

QUOTE (FlakJacket)
That's the thing. I think they're covered in both Threats 2 and Dragons of the Sixth World. I'm not too sure how much information overlaps though, have vague recollections of people complaining about it in that some was in one and not the other and vice versa.

I recently got YOTC and have been reading through it. I believe there's a mention in them about them in the SURGE section, about the pirate moving into Tir na nOg waters and the fog triggering some reaction in a mysterious crew member they picked up.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Aug 29 2004, 08:55 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 185

That would be an unexpected reaction to the mana fluctuations in TNO's Veil since 2061 and yes it is one of the few documented sightings of a drake.

After YotC, drakes reappear in more detail in Threats 2, which inclu

+Quote Post
Synner
post Aug 29 2004, 08:56 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 185

That would be an unexpected reaction to the mana fluctuations in TNO's Veil since 2061 and yes it is one of the few documented sightings of a drake.

After YotC, drakes reappear in more detail in Threats 2, which inclu

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Aug 29 2004, 09:43 PM
Post #12

King of the Hobos

Looks like Peter got chopped. Well the forums have been acting fucky-fucky tonight, kept getting error messages when trying to log in for a bit.

And on the books thing, I pretty much forgot Year of the Comet. So they're mentioned in three of the books now. No idea what's in which book though.

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Aug 29 2004, 10:43 PM
Post #13

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

YotC: A possible Drake transformation mentioned in Shadowtalk in the SURGE section. The Shadowtalker is not sure whether it was a SURGE-Thing or something completely different.

Threats II: NPC Drakes as a potential threat (more the Dragon connection behind them). Minot background info, stats and powers of (IIRC bred) Drakes

Dragons of the 6th World: More backgroundinfo, stats for true and bred Drakes and rules for creating them as PCs (certain problems there however!)

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Aug 29 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

As others have mentioned, if you want a Drake PC, Dragons of the Sixth World is the resource. Without going into game mechanics, here's the gist:

Drakes have a very high racial priority if using priorities, and a very high point cost if using point buy.

It's encouraged, but not completely required to make 'em Magical.

They don't get along well with Cyberwear (much worse than Metahumans).

Then there's the *minor* issue that Great Dragons tend to want their own pet Drake(s). So, they tend to want to gain control over any Drakes that are public.

Basically, a Drake PC is a *BAD* idea, unless you've got an extremely sympathetic GM. And, if you've got that sympathetic a GM, go with the Ablino Gnome. It's less munchkin.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Aug 29 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #15

King of the Hobos

Hhmm, twelve posts in about drakes before someone used the m word. Things are improving. ;) Seriously though, for what it costs you start off with a fairly low power character- well as low power as you can with a drake. And the downside, as long as the GM isn't too soft, is a very large downside.

All comes down to how well the player, GM and group use the whole drake thing to decide whether it becomes munchy or a useful part of the game.

+Quote Post
prettz
post Aug 29 2004, 11:18 PM
Post #16

Target

I'm not sure how I'm going to use them, I was going to see how their stats were first, I do know I want to use them.

+Quote Post
PiXeL01
post Aug 30 2004, 11:52 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,483

I have both YoTC and Dragons of the Sixth world, but certain inoformation evades me.

- When creating a Drake PC should he be created like a "standard" shapeshifter, as in using BPs on both his Drake Form stats and metahuman form stats?

- What stats bonuses do they receive in both forms?

+Quote Post
prettz
post Aug 30 2004, 02:12 PM
Post #18

Target

After reading the entry in Year of the Comet do drakes undergo a painful transformation after the becoming drakes or is it easier after the first time?

+Quote Post
PiXeL01
post Aug 31 2004, 09:59 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,483

I got a hold on Threats 2 yesterday ...
According to that book it was only the first few times it was painful as hell, after that it felt natural and painless

+Quote Post
Jonah
post Aug 31 2004, 12:41 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 5,758

You also need a butt-load of mana...those drakes that have appeared to date have been, well, accidents. The mana level is just to low right now. Check where they happen. Case in point- that guy on the boat skimming Tir' boarders through their veil (thats a dumb idea).

Wait a while.....
The fun has only just begun....

+Quote Post
Canid13
post Sep 28 2004, 10:55 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,709

From what I can gather from reading the books in question, Drakes aren't like normal shapeshifters in that you don't need to pay for their attributes seperately. However, the DoSW entry does raise the question, how do you make a Troll Drake? It says it's possible.

Also, can someone provide a little guidance on whether drakes become magical - it says they can learn magical skills and stuff. Does this mean that after you can control your transformations you can teach yourself to be a mage or an adept?? Seems kinda unexplained to me.

Also, I am assuming that adept powers and 'drake' powers are form exclusive - an adept drake's adept powers work when in metahuman form and his/her drake powers work when in drake form.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 28 2004, 11:20 AM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Theoretically, they may become magical. From the perspective of the PC, either they paid for being magical or they didn't, and that determines it.

~J

+Quote Post
Canid13
post Sep 28 2004, 11:24 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

So that segment of text is just saying drakes can be awakened just like any other PC?

Jeez, why not say that :o)

Cool, thanks.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 28 2004, 11:26 AM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

I'm pretty sure that it's intended to suggest that if you drake a nonmagical NPC you should feel free to turn them magical, but someone who has read the text more recently may give a differing opinion.

~J

+Quote Post
Canid13
post Sep 28 2004, 11:30 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

See, now I have a problem with that. I work under the premise 'what's good for the goose is good for the gander'. This is why some of my Sec Goons carry AV bullets in their pistols and assault rifles (my players do it, so the goons do too).... so I don't like not being able to do things to some people in my game world and not others. Afterall, I don't think the universe is unfair to specific people, just metahumanity in general :o)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:19 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.