Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magician's aquiring Adept power points?, Adept paths: Path of the Magician
Espiritu
post Aug 31 2004, 12:11 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,604

In MITS there is a Path of the Magician where an Adept at creation spends Power points to aquire magical abilities as a Hermetic or Shamanistic Magician.

My question is based on that rule on Pg 22 of MITS. They can't access Astral Projection unless purchased as an Adept power nor can they pay 20 Karma to get more Power points. Can anyone sugest a potential way for a Full Magician to purchase into Adept powers following a similar concept after character creation?

This is in regards to my character suddenly turning into a Drake and I want to give him a little physical focus on the Drake Form as apposed to the Magical nature of my metahuman form.

Several ideas I have is that the Adept powers could only be accessible in Drake Form or that I could simply go with Initiation buying me a Power Point like Adepts normally do it...but this completely breaks the Path of the Magician and provides my way as more advantageous which is bad because I DO Astrally Project already.

This could have worked if I had known I was going to be a Drake before hand, but I didn't so I couldn't start on the Path of the Magician....now can someone help me develope a Path of the Adept? ^_^
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Aug 31 2004, 12:48 AM
Post #2

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

If I understand correctly, you want a Mage to buy Adept powers. Well, according to the rules, you can't. Anything aside from that, you'll have to work out with your GM.

+Quote Post
Espiritu
post Aug 31 2004, 12:50 AM
Post #3

Target

Figured...you'd think they would have put something out there for the eventuality. Thanks.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Aug 31 2004, 01:32 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Magicians way adepts can't buy astral projection, and need to buy astral perception to use it unless dual natured.

IIRC, drakes are already dual natured, so you don't need to buy astral perception.

The 20 karma for a power point is overruled by the initiation rules, also in MitS.

What, exactly, are you trying to do that you don't think you can?

+Quote Post
Espiritu
post Aug 31 2004, 01:48 AM
Post #5

Target

Based on the Magicians Way for Adepts I don't see a proper conversion to providing an already Shadowrunning Full Magician, PhysAdept Powers after the fact.

Magicans Way Adepts can't under any circumstances purchase Astral Projection?

I am trying to find any means possible to giving a Full Magician, PhysAdept powers after character generation.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Aug 31 2004, 01:52 AM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

You can't, period.

Magic is a matter of birth - you're born (created) as one of the following:
  1. Physical Adept
  2. Hermetic Mage
  3. Shaman
  4. Aspected mage/shaman
  5. Magician Way Adept (Physical Mage)

By canon, you cannot acquire magical powers in mid-game. You could buy magical powers at creation and have them "manifest" during the story, if you wanted to simulate a PC suddenly Awakening.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Aug 31 2004, 01:54 AM
Post #7

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Well, if you limit it to Drake form only, you might convince your GM that they amount to Innate paracritter powers. I don't think it's unreasonable to say 20 Karma per Adept Power point. However, as a GM I would rule these are feral, instinctual powers that supersede Magical abilities (meaning I wouldn't let you cast spells in Drake form).

Magical Adepts cannot Astrally Project without an Astral Rift or Portal.

+Quote Post
Nemo
post Aug 31 2004, 06:57 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 2,102

Not only Drake magican Adepts get Astral Perception by their Dual Nature, Shapeshifters and Ghouls do the same. But Drake Magican Adepts are the only ones that can use Astral Projection like full Magicans (as PC's), Shapeshifters and Ghouls can do so only as NPC's (p.5 Critters)

+Quote Post
Espiritu
post Aug 31 2004, 02:51 PM
Post #9

Target

Nemo can you site from what pages you read that Drakes can Astral Project as Adepts?

Was it in the critters book?

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Sep 1 2004, 09:47 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

Espiritu: Check out my Submission to TSS. It gives my alternative Build Point system. Probably a little late to use now, but you can do a Path of the Adept through it rather easily.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Nemo
post Sep 1 2004, 10:51 AM
Post #11

Target

@Espiritu
On Page 5 of the Critters is stated that a Dual-natured being with Magical Skills is able of Astral Projection. A Drake in Drake-form is Dual-natured, and if he is a magican Adept (or any other form of not full magican) he qualify for that (as a NPC, PC's are no Critters), and in Dot6W or Threats 2 it is said that any magical active Drake can astrally project in either Form (Human and Drake)

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 1 2004, 12:17 PM
Post #12

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Your ideas intrigue me. I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
You're gonna need to give us a page number on that last bit, I think.

Man, if this works, how could I have missed it?

+Quote Post
Espiritu
post Sep 1 2004, 04:16 PM
Post #13

Target

Espiritu: Check out my Submission to TSS. It gives my alternative Build Point system. Probably a little late to use now, but you can do a Path of the Adept through it rather easily.

Can someone take a string of text out of that forum he linked to and post it for me here? So I can Google it and find the "cached" part of the forum entry.
My work blocks some sites as "games".

Thanks! That or I wait until I get home.

Yea I looked into the critters book. Seems sorta vague as to what magical potential consitutes...

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Sep 1 2004, 04:23 PM
Post #14

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Here you go:
[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
Espiritu
post Sep 1 2004, 05:48 PM
Post #15

Target

That is a wicked design for Building Points, but it didn't really provide any answers to my question. I need a way to have a Magician become Mage Adept without retarding the Magicians previous skills.

You have several logic loops in the system. Like Adept power point costs and Astral Perception. Once you've bought up to your Magic level in Power points they cost 4...well it's cheaper at that point to buy Magic Ability(5) then Astral Perception(2) for 7 total then to buy two Power points past 6 for 4BP each totally 8...they save BP1 with some progressive engineering.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Sep 1 2004, 06:38 PM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (Espiritu)
That is a wicked design for Building Points, but it didn't really provide any answers to my question. I need a way to have a Magician become Mage Adept without retarding the Magicians previous skills.

Try the house-foci that carry adept powers, there's a thread about them somewhere around here.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Sep 1 2004, 07:22 PM
Post #17

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (Espiritu)

You have several logic loops in the system. Like Adept power point costs and Astral Perception. Once you've bought up to your Magic level in Power points they cost 4...well it's cheaper at that point to buy Magic Ability(5) then Astral Perception(2) for 7 total then to buy two Power points past 6 for 4BP each totally 8...they save BP1 with some progressive engineering.

There are NO canon rules to do that, so either you use house rules, or it's illegal. That is all.

+Quote Post
Nemo
post Sep 2 2004, 06:45 AM
Post #18

Target

@Espiritu

The Proof of the Drake Magician Adepts ability to astrally project are:

Dot6W p.184, Section "Metahuman Form", second paragraph, third sentence
" Drakes with magical skills can also astrally project like magicians in either humanoid or dragon form."

also

Same page, Section "Drake Abilities", first sentence
"As awakened creatures, drakes have certain innate magical abilities, which generally work as given in Shadowrun, Third Edition and Critters."

Same page, Section "Metahuman Form", second paragraph, first sentence
"Drakes in dracoform are dual beings,..."

Critters, p.5, Section "Dual Beings", third paragraph, first and second sentence
"Dual beings with magical skills are capable of astral projection. They can separate their astral bodies, just as do full magicians."

Dot6W p.184, Section "Magical Skills", first paragraph, last sentence
"Drakes with the ability to astrally project can do so in either form."

Threats 2 p.80, Section "Drake Abilities",fourth paragraph, last sentence
"Drakes with the ability to astrally project can do so in either form."

Conclusion: Magician Adepts posses magical abilities, so a Drake Magician Adept posses the ability of astral projection, in either humanoid and dragon form.

+Quote Post
RedmondLarry
post Sep 2 2004, 05:16 PM
Post #19

Senior GM

Member No.: 4,442

Nice work, Nemo. Well researched and well pesented.

+Quote Post
Espiritu
post Sep 2 2004, 05:20 PM
Post #20

Target

Yes I agree. He PM'ed me but I'll say it again here.

Thanks Nemo, that aided several decisions I was trying to make. And essentially made it easier to decid to "convert" my magical presense as MageAdept. Since by Drake rules I was always a drake and always able to astrally project because of it and by the Path of the Wheel with Mage Adepts I could simply not have purchased any Adept power points yet. And since I'm not initiated yet I havn't broken any rules but those percieved in the background and on my character sheet.

All hail Nemo master of the See (I told you so)!

^_^ Peace.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 2 2004, 07:03 PM
Post #21

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Great work, Nemo. If only we could all post like that.
Of course, then we couldn't argue about we-don't-even-know-what for pages on end, and what fun would that be? :huh:

+Quote Post
mfb
post Sep 2 2004, 07:15 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

that also goes for adepts with Centering. huzzah!

+Quote Post
Nemo
post Sep 3 2004, 07:04 AM
Post #23

Target

@ OurTeam, Moon-Hawk,Espiritu
Thanks

@mfb
Give the Adept Sorcery (only if he has Astral Perception, but that is for Dual beings no problem), than it is without any question. But be aware, that these is only possible for PC-Drakes and NPC-Dual-beings, not for PC-Shapeshifters and PC-Ghouls. The SR-Compendium Third Edition stats for these two, that they can only astrally Project, if they are full magicians.

I'm at work, so I have no access to the books and can't quote.

Edit:
After Rereading the Rules: Only Shapeshifters are the exception of the Rule.

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Sep 3 2004, 05:28 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,118

In one of the custom metamagic rules systems I've seen, magicians with certain very high prerequisites can learn the metamagic "adeptness", which grants them 1 point of adept powers. They can gain up to 6 points through this, require at least 10 initiate grades to purchase the power, and must have some other fairly high prerequisites.

On the other hand, adeptness may be purchased by an adept who has suffered magic loss due to cyberware, bioware, damage, etc... up to their original base magic rating of 6(i.e. if they lost 2 points they could buy 2) with much lower prerequisites than a magician attempting it.

I think it's an interesting idea.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Sep 3 2004, 06:20 PM
Post #25

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Level 10 initiates, eh?

-Siege

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:54 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.