> New Look at North American Shamanism
Demonseed Elite
post Aug 31 2004, 01:33 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

Hey there everyone.

Been working on some house rule stuff the past few days, and figured I'd share what I have so far here, in case anyone is interested in adapting it to their own games. Basically, it's my own personal look at North American native shamanism in SR, based on my own readings and experiences. I always thought the SR descriptions for totems were very anemic, emphasized quantity over quality, and sometimes were downright ridiculous. So I worked on my own.

At the same time, even though I am a freelancer, these rules and descriptions are purely my own, and are not official in any way, shape or form. Maybe I'll try to get something like this worked into a book someday, but for now it's just my random scribblings.

Anyway, it's not done yet, I'm adding totems steadily and only have one done at the time of this posting, but here's the page:

New Look at North American Shamanism in the Sixth World
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chance359
post Aug 31 2004, 03:11 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 313

I like, a very worth while project.

+Quote Post
Method
post Aug 31 2004, 05:16 PM
Post #3

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

I like what you've done so far. It gives the totem and the shaman so much more character.

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Aug 31 2004, 05:55 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

The probelms I have with what you is this, what about the other "shamans"? Does belief really make up what type of magic you shall use?If so,then why would say devoted Jews fallow the great "Dog" totem? I always wondered why so few tribel people were hermetic. And yet so many urben people were shamans...

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Aug 31 2004, 06:26 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

I'm a bit confused by what you're asking.

I do think belief makes up a significant portion of what magic one will use. At the very least, it makes up the framework in which they perform magic. This is not to say that every Native American that is magical-capable is a shaman. Not at all. There are plenty of Native American hermetics in SR, I imagine, who learned the framework in which they practice their spells in a different way than the shamans. The historic Native American belief system isn't hermetic in nature, but that doesn't prevent Native Americans from learning magic in other frameworks which have developed since, such as secular institutions like universities and corporations which are more likely to teach hermetic magic.

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Aug 31 2004, 06:42 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

I think the confusion arrises because the site is dedicated to a new look at North American, Native shamanic belief, not shamanic magic at large. There is a different mystical system supporting an urban Toaster shaman of mixed european descent (if there is one at all....) than there is at the back of a Ojibwe snake shaman. I think the site provides an interesting way of looking at NAN and NAN-inspired shamanism (but I'll be damned if I'm going to let my Toaster shaman anywhere near corn : -) )

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Aug 31 2004, 06:52 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Yah, definitely. All I'm covering here is North American Native shamanism (not even other Native American shamanism, like Central American, South American, or Inuit). There are many other shamanic traditions, but some have different beliefs not found in others, or emphasize different things, or have a different interpretation. In this particular write-up, all I'm working on is one subset.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Aug 31 2004, 09:03 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I like some of the flavor, but I’m iffy about the rules. More relevant criticism when I’m not at work.

~J

+Quote Post
Black Isis
post Aug 31 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,151

Very good....I liked the Abiliene Tales part and the other background, as well as the POV stuff for the Bear and Buffalo shamans. Even if I don't use your rules, it's a good primer, especially for beginning players, who want to know more about how to play an Amerindian shaman.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Sep 1 2004, 05:02 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

I added Cat this morning. Cat is the first one I've done that didn't really have much historical background in Native American myth, so it was a tough one. But I felt that it was too central to SR's shamanic magic to leave out, especially since it makes a great urban totem, and I figured that by using the Abilene Tales, I could find a place for it that worked.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.