Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SOTA: 2064 Magic, Technology and Beauty, NIP Tuck 2060's
kryton
post Sep 1 2004, 06:20 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,874

With the level surgical precision, prosthetics, and enhancements theoretically anyone with enough money could buy the face and body they desire. Cybernetics requires a good deal of patching and connecting of human tissue and synthetic materials. People now pay thousands of dollars for cosmetic surgery I wonder what SOTA work could be performed 2064. With magic augmenting healing and manipulating the human form it would see that you could look just like anyone. With the proper enhancements you could sound like anyone. With simsense and memory manipulation you could have memories customized. Possibly advance therapy might include manipulating negative memories and reshaping the human psyche. (Babylon 5 expanded on Death of Personality for Serial Killers.)

It would make sense that with the advanced procedures for DNA enhancement and cybernetic surgery that anyone could buy the perfect body. With the creation of Alice in Jak Koke's first heart of the dragon series it may even be possible to project a personality and memories into a harvested human clone. So you not only don't die you pass your mind on from generation to generation. If you don't like the way you look you have a new body either sculpted or if you’re squeamish about blades genetic enhancement would be available. If street docs are as prevalent as they are then conceivably plastic surgery could become more and more accessible to the middle class. (Unfortunately I would think that there would be a larger class gap between the middle class and upper class folks.)

I think these are interesting ideas. The book Holy Fire might become a reality where folks wanting to be young again can go from they're 80's to 20's. So I think the key question is "What would the perfect person look like?" How would the starlets and jet setters define the perfection? Is age the biggest taboo in 2060? How much would someone pay or give of themself (in this case a middle american girl) to get the perfect body and form?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Sep 1 2004, 07:01 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

leonization already accomplishes in one swell, easy foop what the age doctors in Holy Fire sweated blood and tears to create a poor reflection of. on the plastic surgery front, i tend to think that from the middle class on up, there are no un-beautiful people. it's probably one of the things that keeps the classes so very seperate--no one with any amount of legitimacy would put up with unsightly acne scars, bad teeth, tendencies toward obesity, etcetera.

personally, i think the lifestyle you live in (not your various safehouses/boltholes/whatever) should give a TN mod on social interations.

+Quote Post
kryton
post Sep 1 2004, 07:29 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Leonization works but it cuts into essence. There's also a chance it could go wrong and the side effects could be nasty. I think body sculpting from a surgical sense would never go away. Genetics can do a lot but when genetics fail your surgeon would take over where science failed. Surgery is a art form and merge between science and skill. Some folks simply won't want to get genetic manipulation. Untill we know how aging works fully the surgeon's scapel or laser will always be there for the well to do.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Sep 1 2004, 07:38 PM
Post #4

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Interesting post.

First off, there is a general consensus that sentient clones are a non-reality in SR. because of the huge implications they would have. The SR world would be too radically altered. Armies of cloned superhumans, people that never really die...

But I definatly agree that a "looks" gap should be introduced in SR. With the terrible city air, acid rain, bad hygene, etc, the lower class people would not only look not as good as the upper class people, who I totally agree would all look gorgeous, but they'd look like shit because of the effect all that pollution has on their skin.

Looks are part of the gap in classes in a society. Considering the cyberpunkish theme of class gaps, the looks of the poor vs the looks of the good, and the jealousy (sp?) that is created by this shoudl be brought up. Lower classes would be VERY resentful of the upper classes who create all the polution but don't have to suffer it's (visible) effect.

Furthermore, on the topic of changing what you look like, that's a subject I think SR material hasn't put forward enough. It's often mentionned in fiction or shadowtalk, how when a run goes sour you change your face and get a new identity. But you don't see it in the rules much, you don't see many examples of it, what the consequences (loss of self-indentity maybe?) are, etc. M&M says a few things about plastic surgery, but more complete material should clarify the face change quesion. It's too late now, but SSG would have been a GREAT place to put that in.

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Sep 1 2004, 07:39 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

QUOTE (kryton)
Genetics can do a lot but when genetics fail your surgeon would take over where <b>science failed.</b>

emphasis mine

cosmetic surgery is still a science.

also i dont know if leonization can go wrong, and if it does, there could be a serious problem. most people that have it done are rich and powerful, so if you are a surgeon and you mess it up, you better be able to correct it.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Sep 1 2004, 07:46 PM
Post #6

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

In SR, cosmetic surgery can be performed by a tattoo artist.

+Quote Post
kryton
post Sep 1 2004, 07:50 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

True it is a science but the artistic ability I think requires extreme amounts of hand eye coordination and precision. The same sort of precision and skill a painter or sculpter might have. Flesh is the canvas.

If Leonization involves a virus vector then it can fail. Viruses mutate and do all sorts of things unexpected. Nanites could theoretically repair and fix the cell but the DNA would have to have to be manipulated by some sort of vector. Free radicals and maybe even the body's own white blood cells might retard or impact leonization. Anthing biological is at risk to random effects. Medicine is science but the body as an organism has a level of chance. The body is such a complex medium chance is always a factor. Drug trials for instance test possible side effects for drugs after they're deemed safe for clinical use. People die and have unexpected reactions. I think medicine as a whole will always have a level of unpredictability of side effects. Complexity can be understood but not always predicted. That's ultimately my point.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Sep 1 2004, 07:51 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Backgammon @ Sep 1 2004, 07:38 PM)
First off, there is a general consensus that sentient clones are a non-reality in SR. because of the huge implications they would have. The SR world would be too radically altered. Armies of cloned superhumans, people that never really die...

I'm not sure I understand the worry about sentient clones. SR seems to be able to grow the BODIES to adulthood quickly, but those adult bodies would have the mind of a newborn infant. You'd have to train them up from scratch, just like any naturally born human.

Further, the new bodies aren't much use for making someone immortal, except by providing spare parts for aging bodies. There's no way to transfer memories or consciousness (yet). You can chip them, but those aren't memories, they're files on a hard drive.

+Quote Post
kryton
post Sep 1 2004, 08:08 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Possibly with robotics and automation surgery could move into the "expert system" level of production. The machine is programmed and expert systems may do the work for you using nanites and microsurgical techniques with percision and skill exceeding surgeons. Nanites are the ultimate micro level surgical machine. Possibly machines then act as assembly line surgeons. Imput body here, upload medical - cad file, remove human at end of bay. The russians use a form of assembly surgery or experiemented on it in the 80's. Machines may take the place of men with a doctor acting more as a computer operator / tech. Then all you need is the right machinery and any fool able to push a button can perform surgery. I just hope it doesn't run windows....that could get messy.

"General Protection at location x3223110 in executable surgery.exe.......Errror patient viatals dropping please contact Doc Wagon....Warning.......massive blood loss detected....reboot?"

I heard from a co-workers brother during a bar crawl of a patient waking up from brain surgery. Turns out the anasthiethology (msp?) machine crashed and stopped giving gas to the patient. That had to be a surprise and a head ache.

+Quote Post
kryton
post Sep 1 2004, 08:10 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

The book Stanger souls talked about consiouness transfer. It was fairly potent but required a magically active person and some use of magic. So it's at least bleeding edge and buggy but possible.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Sep 1 2004, 10:05 PM
Post #11

Running Target

QUOTE (kryton)
The book Stanger souls talked about consiouness transfer. It was fairly potent but required a magically active person and some use of magic. So it's at least bleeding edge and buggy but possible.

Well, that sounds like one person going from one body to another. I see nothing wrong about that. It's not much different than rebuilding a body after it's been abused down to deadly damage or something.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 1 2004, 11:58 PM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Depends. If the original brain is not carried over, it has the potential to be very different indeed.

~J

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Sep 2 2004, 12:01 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

QUOTE (Cray74)
I'm not sure I understand the worry about sentient clones.

Armies of cloned mages. Armies.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Sep 2 2004, 12:09 AM
Post #14

Beetle Eater

To me, cloning a mage wouldn't guaranteed that the clone would Awaken. In fact, if SR allowed cloning (which it doesn't), I would probably say clones would be less likely to Awaken because they are processed material and thus not virgin (same goes for anything grown in a test tube). It's not impossible mind you, just more difficult.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Sep 2 2004, 12:09 AM
Post #15

Running Target

QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
Armies of cloned mages. Armies.

And why do the clones suddenly manifest magical powers, when the mage talent isn't necessarily genetic in nature?

+Quote Post
Edward
post Sep 2 2004, 12:12 AM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

The tech seems to be there for brain transplants (the amount of neural work needed would be modest compared to cerebral boosters, encefelerons, move by wire, riger implants).

So what are the costs associated with transplanting your brain into a physically fit clone of you at any given age. Thus only diseases of the brain can really affect you.

Has the Programmable ASIST Biofeedback unitprogressed to the point where you can copy your memory and personality thus escaping every ailment other than psychological. and what happens to the spirit (pre-existing essence loss, magical talent).

If you are cloned (no genetic mod what will the clones magic rating be (same as you, none, random individual) might a rich mundane be able to clone himself 1000 times have each one cheeked for magical talent and use a PAB to transfer his conchesnus into it.

Edward

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Sep 2 2004, 12:16 AM
Post #17

Beetle Eater

Magical Talent isn't in the body. It's in the Essence.

[edit] Meaning you'd have to let the clone develope as a person and see if it developes magical talent and then try to convince/force it to allow the transfer (and if it has magical talent from a totem that won't work).

This post has been edited by Kanada Ten: Sep 2 2004, 12:19 AM

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Sep 2 2004, 12:17 AM
Post #18

Running Target

QUOTE (Edward)
So what are the costs associated with transplanting your brain into a physically fit clone of you at any given age. Thus only diseases of the brain can really affect you.

Like senility, geezerly brain disfunction, irreplaceable brain cell loss, etc. Human nerve tissue is pretty bad about replacing itself.

Has the Programmable ASIST Biofeedback unitprogressed to the point where you can copy your memory and personality thus escaping every ailment other than psychological. and what happens to the spirit (pre-existing essence loss, magical talent).

When you force an ASIST copy of your memories on a new brain, you're basically reprogramming a brain and "soul" with fancy video tapes. The personality that results from this isn't the original - it's a baby that's been raised on video tapes of your life.

If you are cloned (no genetic mod what will the clones magic rating be (same as you, none, random individual) might a rich mundane be able to clone himself 1000 times have each one cheeked for magical talent and use a PAB to transfer his conchesnus into it.

His consciousness would NOT be transferred. Basically, the clone would be forced to sit through a bunch of fancy video tapes and slide shows known as "simsense recordings".

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Sep 2 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #19

Beetle Eater

His consciousness would NOT be transferred. Basically, the clone would be forced to sit through a bunch of fancy video tapes and slide shows known as "simsense recordings".

In theory, PAB allows them to alter the memories of a subject, but I can't imagine trying to "alter" a lifetime onto a person who grew up in a glass tank, or even a person who lead a "full" life. They can record memories, but that's not the same as consciousness...

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Sep 2 2004, 12:26 AM
Post #20

Running Target

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
In theory, PAB allows them to alter the memories of a subject, but I can't imagine trying to "alter" a lifetime onto a person who grew up in a glass tank, or even a person who lead a "full" life. They can record memories, but that's not the same as consciousness...

Correct, a video tape that gets played back straight into your brain's optical center, auditory center, olfactory center, etc. All your senses are feeding realistic signals into your brain. Are they real experiences, or are they Memorex?

Your brain can't tell, and I'm sure with the correct drugs, you can really convince that brain that the input is authentic experiences, not a simsense recording.

However, it isn't an honest transfer of consciousness. It's convincing some brain that it's someone else.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Sep 2 2004, 12:33 AM
Post #21

Running Target

QUOTE (Cray74)
And why do the clones suddenly manifest magical powers, when the mage talent isn't necessarily genetic in nature?

My understanding, coming from Shadowtech, is that magical ability is generally agreed to be genetic in nature, but that it is impossible to figure out the necessary genes to produce an awakened individual are because of the weird nature of the "magus factor." Since it (probably) operates as a gestalt of numerous, widespread traits, and these gestalts do not need to be identical in different people, geneticists do not have the ability to create magically active individuals insofar as they do not know which genes to activate or insert.

Not knowing which genes to insert/activate isnt a problem if you can produce a viable, sentient clone of someone who is already awakened.

...Then again, if you prefer less science in your magic, thats cool. We likes the biologieses though. (precious)

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Sep 2 2004, 12:33 AM
Post #22

Beetle Eater

However, it isn't an honest transfer of consciousness. It's convincing some brain that it's someone else.

Right, and that's enough for some people...

But you could use some powerful magic to cause a mundane to Astrally Project (Rifts, Blood Magic) and then force the clone to do the same. Then mimic the cyberzombie spirit trap effect on the clone body, thereby sucking the mundane's spirit into it. Then do the same to the clone's spirit into the mundane's body. That would be an honest transfer of consciousness, and boy would the god's be pissed. You then stick the clone spirit / shriveled mundane body into a freezer essentially creating a "Liferock" for the mundane spirit / clone body. Talk about your plot hooks.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Sep 2 2004, 12:38 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Anyway, its all academic insofar as a) its a game and b) in said game, clones are not sentient. I merely posit that, perhaps, one of the reasons they chose to make human clones mindless may have been because they didn't want to deal with the possibility of mage clone armies. *shrugs*

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Sep 2 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #24

Beetle Eater

My understanding, coming from Shadowtech, is that magical ability is generally agreed to be genetic in nature, but that it is impossible to figure out the necessary genes to produce an awakened individual are because of the weird nature of the "magus factor."

I would say that the genetics is only the base requirement of magical talent, not the only one. It is the clay from which you can form a cup or bowl or dagger, but it may well form nothing useful, as well. It takes the living of life to create to possibility of Awakening. IMESHO.

I merely posit that, perhaps, one of the reasons they chose to make human clones mindless may have been because they didn't want to deal with the possibility of mage clone armies.

I'd agree that was probably one of the reasons.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 2 2004, 12:41 AM
Post #25

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
To me, cloning a mage wouldn't guaranteed that the clone would Awaken. In fact, if SR allowed cloning (which it doesn't), I would probably say clones would be less likely to Awaken because they are processed material and thus not virgin (same goes for anything grown in a test tube). It's not impossible mind you, just more difficult.

So test-tube babies are less likely to awaken? Care to offer any canon backing at all?

~J

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.