Reply to this topicStart new topic
> But Bullesye can do it!, A question about firing and motorcycles
mrobviousjosh
post Sep 1 2004, 11:55 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,560

Okay, so the basic premise for this question involves firing/throwing weapons while driving a motorcycle. As you may well know, Bullseye from Daredevil, has pulled off similar manuevers, and many more difficult, in both the movie and comics. What TNs to drive checks and actually using the weapon would be imposed? What about if you're riding on a bike but not driving it (which isn't as sturdy {shockwise} as a larger vehicle)? Anyway, I was recently presented with the question and have had difficulty compiling ALL the rules necessary to achieve, and maintain, such a feat without wrecking. (Mostly on straightaways but not always)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Sep 1 2004, 11:58 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

IIRC, you need to take one complex action each turn to keep a vehicle going properly. If you have actions on two phases, you can attack with one and drive with the other. Uncompensated recoil adds to the driving test, but in the case of throwing weapons from a motorcycle, I'd just make a quickness test to stay balanced.

+Quote Post
Rev
post Sep 2 2004, 12:02 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

There may be specific rules for this someplace, but if I were pulling it out of my hat I would give them the running modifier +4 to the shot and a drive test at +recoil mod.

+Quote Post
mrobviousjosh
post Sep 2 2004, 12:04 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

QUOTE (Rev)
There may be specific rules for this someplace, but if I were pulling it out of my hat I would give them the running modifier +4 to the shot and a drive test at +recoil mod.

That's what we've been doing for the time being.

Yeah, well the character in question usually averages over 21 for Initative so it's possible to do both; especially since he quick draws his pistol. BTW, does driving with one hand (since you're using the other) do anything for the driving test?

+Quote Post
Kesh
post Sep 2 2004, 04:06 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,958

Keep in mind that Bullseye is a superhuman character. Unless your PC is as well, I don't see him managing such tricks unless they're pure luck.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Sep 2 2004, 12:09 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

indeed. you'd need something like Improved Ability (Thrown) and Missile Mastery!

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Sep 2 2004, 12:21 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

For firing the pistol, you're subject to the Manual Gunnery Table of modifiers (SR3, p.153), so that should give you some good examples of your target number mods. For example, you'll always get the +2 for Firing Unmounted Weapons.

Your driving test is subject to Stressful Situation and Action Performed During Combat, giving you at least a +4, if not a +6 or more. GM discretion. Personally, I'd give +2 for stress, +2 for combat, and one level greater terrain mod for driving with one hand.

+Quote Post
mrobviousjosh
post Sep 2 2004, 07:51 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Yeah, I understand all that. The character in question is a fresh built character with Abilities Priority A and Adept B with Improved Reflexes and two points of improved ability pistols. I was just wondering how "far fetched" the idea was for a starting, or even advanced, character.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Sep 2 2004, 08:24 PM
Post #9

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

There's nothing far fecteched... just apply Manual Gunnery modifiers. If he hits something, good for him.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Sep 2 2004, 11:48 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

Somewhere, I think in R3, there is a comment about greater penalties for firing sideways from a motorcycle than in front. I think it was linked to the mounting weapons section.

Edward

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Sep 3 2004, 01:10 AM
Post #11

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

no one brought this up so I will:
Unless the character is left handed, you get a minus for firing with your off hand- on a bike. Your right hand is on the throttle, take it off to shoot and at best you slow down as you take in the clutch with your left. If you don't do that, you stall, crash and die.

Check out the chase scene in Terminator 2 where Arnold is shooting the shotgun from the hog. The gun is in his left hand.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Sep 3 2004, 03:05 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

It's not uncommon for a motorcycle to have a "Cruise Control" on the throttle. I know I've ridden several bikes that had one. It's basically just a little gizmo that holds the throttle in place. Sure, you can't accelerate while holding your pistol, but it'd enable you to shoot with your right hand.

Alternatively, I'm sure some runners would get a custom throttle that could be worked with their off hand. (Though learning to brake my left hand and clutch with my right would definitely cause me to wreck.)

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Sep 3 2004, 03:13 AM
Post #13

Prime Runner

right, just the mental balancing is going to be a bitch. I'm left handed. It's easy for me, as was pointed out when we saw T-2 and my friends went "whoa" and I said "what?" "you're left handed"

Instead of a pistol a mounted weapon would be better, even after you get the shot off you've got to put the gun away and while the cruise control is on, it really limits you since your speed is locked, anything less than oging in a straight line is asking for trouble.

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Sep 3 2004, 10:44 PM
Post #14

UMS O.G.

Member No.: 6,335

Datajack, gyroscopic stabilizers. Good to go.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Sep 4 2004, 03:56 AM
Post #15

Prime Runner

Datajack on a bike? Where's the fun on that?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 4 2004, 04:14 AM
Post #16

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

In the two shotpistols in your hands.

~J

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:30 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.