Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Few Matrix Q's, the rules supplement not decking
The White Dwarf
post Sep 9 2004, 03:54 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,754

I know Ive seen these come up before but I couldnt recall if any corrections or clarifications were posted other than what the general poster concensus turned out to be. I checked the Faq/Errata areas and likewise found nothing. So heres the 3 questions and my guess to the answers.

On p.54 of Matrix (first printing), under the header "Optical Chips and Encoders" theres a reference to the cost of omcs, being 5.0 nuyen per mp. The grey box beneath it has it at 0.5 nuyen per mp. The table at the end of the book on p.168 has 5.0 nuyen. I checked the 2nd printing and the error remained. Im presuming its supposed to be 5.0 (as in five) nuyen per mp, but you never know.

On p.55 of Matrix (first printing), in the 3rd paragraph under the header "Design Tests" there is a reference to the base time for a design test. The numerical value for this test is described very clearly, however there is no unit of time attached. Again, this error persists in the 2nd printing as well. It is most likley hours or days, but since this is the same test made for every cyberterminal component the difference is multiplied out for a character designing an entire deck. I cant seem to find my VR2.0 to see if a unit of time was given in SR2. My guess is to use "work days" as a unit, or 8 hours of work, but thats pretty much just a guess.

On p.55 of Matrix (first printing), at the bottom of the page under the header "Cook Tests" it very clearly states that the test requires an omc with enough mp to hold the program. The cost of this item would depend on the answer to the first question, but either way it costs something. However, the quick reference tables on page 67 for custom built terminals dont seem to reflect this cost (I know theyre used for different operations but this is an unavoidable cost and seemingly should show up in both places). Its possible Im interpreting this incorrectly, but the way I read it makes it seem like this cost is either ignored or not always accounted for in some of the calculations pertaining to its use. Any thoughts? Id hate to pin extra costs on characters persuing one avenue and not the others.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Camouflage
post Sep 9 2004, 10:15 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 72

On p.54 of Matrix (first printing), under the header "Optical Chips and Encoders" theres a reference to the cost of omcs, being 5.0 nuyen per mp.  The grey box beneath it has it at 0.5 nuyen per mp.  The table at the end of the book on p.168 has 5.0 nuyen.  I checked the 2nd printing and the error remained.  Im presuming its supposed to be 5.0 (as in five) nuyen per mp, but you never know.

There has AFAIK never been an official clarification for it, but 5¥ per MP just doesn't make sense (with that price-tag, datachips are more expensive than the paydata they contain and cyberdeck memory is more expensive to construct by yourself than to you have it installed by a deckmeister). So many (if not most) people take that error as an excuse to house-rule the price to 0.5¥ per MP, which makes a lot more sense (although it's still quite expensive).

For the rest, I will no attempt to answer them without my Matrix (which is ATM about 40km away from here).

+Quote Post
mfb
post Sep 9 2004, 08:56 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (Matrix pg 55 @ first sentence under "Time")
A single workday for any task is defined as 8 interrupted hours.

design tests are tasks, ergo the base time is workdays. as for the OMC, it's assumed that the character has one. if they don't, they simply can't cook the chips. a Predator does 9M damage, but only when you've loaded ammunition into it.

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Sep 9 2004, 10:19 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Thanks for the replies so far. I thought five nuyen was a lot too, but SR3 lists memory at 20 nuyen per mp so 5 is cheaper than the alternatives. They should just fix the error.

I thought the base time in work days seemed logical; however is that just your conclusion too or did they say somewhere where I missed? I see where you quote the base time, but some installation tasks, for example, give times in hours rather than days. I was hoping to find a specific reference for the design task specifically.

As for the omc's, I see what youre saying. But you have to buy both the gun and the ammo, so Id presume you must again have both parts here too. And if a cyberterminal has something like say 10 parts, thats 5000-50000 nuyen or omc's (depending on the above). Thats a lot to have a character only pay part of the time. It seems like it would always be better to let someone else build a deck for you if just to ignore this cost, which makes the uneven application of it seem out of place. It will probably be house ruled if no one has any other solutions.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Sep 9 2004, 11:54 PM
Post #5

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

SR3 Errata
p. 296: Skillsofts and Chips Table [12]
The price for optical memory chips should be Mp x 0.5¥, and the Concealability of the skillsoft jukebox was changed to 6.

My guess is they forgot about the entry in Matrix.

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Sep 10 2004, 12:05 AM
Post #6

UMS O.G.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,335

1.) Already been covered.

2.) Official answer, days. I asked and was answered and then reminded them when they were shopping for errata.

3.) See 1 above.

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Sep 10 2004, 12:30 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Ok guys, thanks a bunch! If the cost is 0.5 it makes the difference in amounts negligable. I figured someone had some real answers around =)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:36 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.