Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Great Bar Names
Sargasso
post Sep 10 2004, 06:05 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,641

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread with good names for bar, pub, clubs and other social venues with style. What's the best social venue in your game?

There's something of a running joke across several of the games for my group involing a ubiquitous bar named, "The Diseased Whore". It was orginally "The Soiled Dove" but a non-native english speaker paid for the old rotting sign to be replaced..and you get the idea.

What made things surreal was when one of my players played the standard Combat Decker archetype in the Sr3 book. He was going to meet up with another PC, a former cop. Since the Combat Decker has the knowldge skill: Seedy Ork Bars 3, he wanted to meet at a seedy ork bar, namely, the Diseased Whore. Understandably, the cop hesitated, and asked if the Combat Decker knew any sushi places instead. I assigned a high target number, 10 or so, and the Combat decker rolled his 3 dice, for 3 successes. With that, "Beoke Baeshunfu" was born. A Seedy Ork Sushi bar. According to my Japanesse/English Dictionary, "Beoke Baeshunfu" is a reasonable translation of "Diseased Whore."

What's the most interesting place in your games?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Prospero
post Sep 10 2004, 06:12 PM
Post #2

Illuminate of the New Dawn

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,700

This wasn't a memorable name, but a memorable bar - during a pirate campaign, the group had a meet in a stylish "pirate bar" (I don't remember the name, since I wasn't in the group at the time - the Bluebeard or something, maybe?) where a bunch of wannabes dressed up in archetypical pirate getup (complete with eyepatches and fake parrots) sat around sipping expensive concktails, listening to "pirate beat poetry" and, instead of clapping, they snapped their fingers and growled, "Arrrr! Arrrrr!" in their best pirate impression. I think one of the PCs with the combat monster flaw went beserk after waiting for the Johnson to show beat a couple people senseless. Ahhhh, such fun.

+Quote Post
Sargasso
post Sep 10 2004, 06:13 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Port Royal Pain in the Ass maybe?

+Quote Post
Quix
post Sep 10 2004, 06:18 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,764

Once had a friend who went about collecting bars. He ran them as a side line gig. My favorite was always: Apathetic Diabetic Old Men on Rollerskates with a Remarked Propensity for Procrastination and Sloth. :rotfl: I've always wanted to see the sign for that bar

+Quote Post
L.D
post Sep 10 2004, 06:56 PM
Post #5

Harlequin

Member No.: 861

Spit & Clean

Owned by the troll Spit and the drawf Clean. It's a local pub/restaurant with pretty good clientel. They have fake wood and in the center of the bar there is a single berrglas standing on a shelf. If anyone asks them about the name the troll takes the glas down and spits in it, hands it over to the dawrf who then cleans it and then puts it back. All without saying a word.

+Quote Post
Arz
post Sep 10 2004, 07:23 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,751

Not great, but ultra common:

Rathskeller

Every town has one. I've even seen them with family nights (free drink for mom or dad).

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Sep 10 2004, 07:53 PM
Post #7

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

To quote the masters...

"Broken Drum" (you can't beat it. From Terry Pratchet.)
"Tavern of Butt" and I believe it was "Stomp your Goddammed Head In", both care of Blackjack.

Of course, any combination of adjetives and nouns will suffice. Don't even have to make sense. Grab that dictionary and see what you come up with.

+Quote Post
Empyrean Seraph
post Sep 10 2004, 08:01 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 6,562

For my Columbia/Lancaster/Harrisburg Shadowrun thing, I've come up with one called Neon Blue Apocalypse. I wanted to name it after the Tool song. 'Course, after I named it, I remembered the Tool song was Eon, not Neon, but it stuck. I have another one named simply Bar, because the ill-educated ork owner never bothered to name it.

A specialty drink in all my SR games I've ever run has been the Meltdown. Feels like you're having one in your chest...

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Sep 10 2004, 08:05 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

This works

for such names as:
The Idiotic Cleric Tavern
The Corrupt Quail Tavern
The Laughing Fish Hall
The Boring Staff Alehouse

and many more with a predominately fantasy and non-whore related bend.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Sep 10 2004, 08:06 PM
Post #10

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Funny, there was a "Bar" in Atlanta for a while...

Was always partial to the "Rusty Nail" , "The Drunken Yak" and of course "Merciless Mings' Bucking Fest Bar and Grill"

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Sep 10 2004, 08:14 PM
Post #11

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I've had a bar in a game run by ex-nuns who lost the faith when they expressed as metahumans in the early 21st century called Our Lady of the Bottle. There was a whole backstory to the nuns that I never got to play around with because the players were only there for one session and left the place pretty beat up, but I've been itching for a chance to get those ladies back invovled in some way ;)

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Sep 10 2004, 08:18 PM
Post #12

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Rathskeller

That's because rathskeller is literally "bar below street level" in german. :P

+Quote Post
Siege
post Sep 10 2004, 08:22 PM
Post #13

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

The "Rusty Nail" is still on Buford Highway, if memory serves.

I haven't been into Buckhead for a while, but I do remember "Bar" as a rather tacky little drinking hole.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Sep 10 2004, 08:28 PM
Post #14

Chicago Survivor

The Rusty Nail is great, huge tacky pistol that smokes (when the manager remembers to turn it on)

+Quote Post
Dax
post Sep 10 2004, 08:36 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,013

A bar name that came from around my area, and that I've always used in my games is "Have a Nice Day Cafe". Complete with the angry smiley face and bad attitude patrons.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Sep 10 2004, 08:37 PM
Post #16

Chicago Survivor

ATL has those too, I remember when it opened up... man that was an obnoxious sign...

+Quote Post
bitrunner
post Sep 10 2004, 08:57 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,915

A couple from when I was in Japan - and spent most of my free time and money...

Red Dawg Saloon
Flamingo's
Stagger Inn (my favorite)
The Office (the owner wanted men to be able to tell their wives "I'm at The Office")

and then there is (according to what i've heard)
The Blue Oyster Bar
(runners never seem to want to go in there for some reason)

Some more:

Y Knot Lounge
Styx (also a pool hall)
Blue Note (blues club)
Boot Hill Saloon (biker bar)
Frogger's
Bull & Bush (english pub, natch)

i guess it depends on the type of bar or club you're looking for - what kind of atmosphere and clientele, type of music, etc...a lot of them that others have already mentioned, like the "Rusty Nail" are either chains or just happen to have one in each city - i've seen about 4 different Rusty Nails in my travels...

+Quote Post
Suenert
post Sep 10 2004, 09:12 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 3,057

QUOTE (BitBasher)
Rathskeller

That's because rathskeller is literally "bar below street level" in german. :P

Actually it isn't :P
Keller means Cellar, Rat is council, a Ratskeller was back in the days a bar below the city hall where the city council meets, so that right after the meetings the Ratsherren ( council member ? council lords ? ) could wander into a nice place to drink (or rather to get drunk) and feast.
Since then the name has spread.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Sep 10 2004, 09:29 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

You're not a badass until you've gotten into a fight at the Grizzly Grunion. Best place EVER.

+Quote Post
Rory Blackhand
post Sep 10 2004, 09:38 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,141

Somewhere in Germany, not sure where, but by a base is a club called the metropol, my army friends called it the Metro Hole.

In Bangkok there is thermopylae which is a hot after hours spot. alot of the bar girls go there after work for "whatever", depending on who you are, what you look like, and what they feel like.

In other games I have liked Hell Nine, with 9 different levels. The deeper you were allowed to go the more rep you had.

Another game had The Afterlife, with three levels. Again, you had to be somebody to get in to the lower levels. In this club you had to be able to fight your way in and withstand any challenge to you being there once you did until you were established on a level.

Also liked the Jaded Mantis in Redmond Barrens?, the sign had the letters "tis" burned out so it was known as the Jaded Man.

There was Big Ed's Bowery in Jacksonville, NC. He had a noise making contest with the loudest table getting a free pitcher of beer. Imagine a platoon of rowdy Marines all banging their fists on the tables screaming, barking, growling, whistling, etc... all at one time in a little hole in the wall joint packed to overflow capacity. Now that was fun, drunken revelry.

+Quote Post
Axe
post Sep 10 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 6,590

There's a pool bar here that I've always liked the name of: Swimming (Well technically le Swimming)

I like the Stagger Inn, I'll have to use that one :D

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Sep 10 2004, 11:31 PM
Post #22

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

We have a strip joint called The Library where I used to live....classic.

+Quote Post
Sargasso
post Sep 10 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Ah, that reminds me: down the road here there's a Strip Club called, "The Booby Trap." The ads on TV go, "Get caught...IN THE BOOBY TRAP!"

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Sep 11 2004, 11:59 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

The Office (the owner wanted men to be able to tell their wives "I'm at The Office")

There's actually a lot of bar's with similar names to this. (Incidentally, there's a really bad strip joint in Cleveland named The Office.)

Two variants from bars I've been in --

Our Place
Around the Corner

Also "Bar" is a national chain. One opened in Cleveland around 8 or 9 years ago. I dunno if they're still in business or not.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Sep 12 2004, 12:02 AM
Post #25

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

I spent some time in Bozeman, Montana.

The slogan of the bar was: "Liquor in Front; Poker in Rear"

And just for the record, you can have gambling and drinking in the same establishment. :grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:06 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.