IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Less conspicuous cyberdeck?, anybody ever try this?
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 13 2004, 12:19 PM
Post #1

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,715

So, a big 'ol cyberdeck can be pretty obvious, and certainly not everyone can or wants to be otaku. There's the cyberlimb deck, but if you're having trouble smuggling a cyberdeck somewhere, chances are the limb is going to give you similar trouble. And not everyone wants to devote the essence into a cranial deck, which still shows up on cyberware scanners. So what about this?:
Build a cranial cyberdeck. Don't implant it. Put it in a pocket secretary case, or something PDA sized. Yes, it's more expensive to use cranial parts, but look how tiny! Use a name brand pocket secretary case & screen. There's no reason a cyberdeck can't run the software that a cheap pocket secretary does, so it could emulate one to any casual inspection. It scans as a computer. Yep, that's what everyone was expecting.
Any thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Sep 13 2004, 12:31 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

Neat idea. Although not specifically stated in the description of cranial decks, I would think that there is some portion of the functioning of the deck which is intrinsically tied in to the implanatation process (power, processing, etc.). I don't think cranial decks are simply miniaturized regular cyberdecks. Anyhow, that's what I would say to a player who wanted to try this in one of my games. :-)

+Quote Post
Siege
post Sep 13 2004, 12:43 PM
Post #3

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

If you use a pure DNI connection which bypasses the need for an integrated keyboard, you could have the outer shell resemble anything - an onconspicious piece of office equipment, for example.

Think of it as a glorified PDA - which can then be hooked up to an external keyboard and/or monitor.

So yes, it's entirely possible.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 13 2004, 01:30 PM
Post #4

Or a related strategy, use a full sized cyberdeck case with only 10% of it filled with cranial parts, and put SOMETHING in the other 90%. Something evil.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Sep 13 2004, 01:39 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

you would need several interface parts made special but it could be done. I would say the custom modifications would probably be comparable in price to implantation.

Edward

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Sep 13 2004, 02:29 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Build a cranial cyberdeck. Don't implant it. Put it in a pocket secretary case, or something PDA sized. Yes, it's more expensive to use cranial parts, but look how tiny!

Heh, love the idea! But I proposed something almost identical a few months ago, so I can't complain. :)

Cranial decks aren't all that much more expensive, especially compared to the cost multiplier between desktops and pocket computers.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Sep 13 2004, 03:02 PM
Post #7

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Or a related strategy, use a full sized cyberdeck case with only 10% of it filled with cranial parts, and put SOMETHING in the other 90%. Something evil.

Why would you want to jam shedim into your cyberdeck case :silly: ?

On a related note, a small charge of explosives if you're the paranoid type could effectively "clean" your storage memory of that paydata you just store if you pegged by the Trace IC.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 13 2004, 03:48 PM
Post #8

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

one thing the original post is forgetting is that neitehr a cyberdeck nor a cyberlimb can be spotted as illegal just by looking at them. how can one tell if a computer contains illegal chips or software without booting it up and doing a diagnostic? and do you belive that lone star have the capasity to run diagnostics on ever cyberterm they see on the street? and whats stoping someone from putting the whole thing in a backpack?

as for cyberlimbs, you need a scanner to atleast have an idea whats in that limb, and are you going to stop every person that walks past you with a cyberlimb?

now if said person is found in a place where he is not supposed to be and cant realy explain why he is there then one starts to investigate. but then a paranoid security force would go over every gadget in your posession...

cute idea anyways, it makes the deck become more like the stuff from cyberpunk2020 and gibsons writeings...

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Sep 13 2004, 03:54 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

What about a deck broken down in small parts that could be woven into a long coat :)

+Quote Post
Siege
post Sep 13 2004, 04:18 PM
Post #10

Dragon

The program carriers were basically nuts-and-bolts decker tools that would fit what you're trying to do.

Of course, you're as likely to get scrambled like an egg in any serious battle, but it has potential.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Sep 13 2004, 04:29 PM
Post #11

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

How bout just changing the casing so it looks like something else? A briefcase, a toy, plush bear, etc.

+Quote Post
Ecclesiastes
post Sep 13 2004, 04:34 PM
Post #12

Jesus Freak

Member No.: 6,274

<has flashback of the Dolls from Brainscan> :silly:

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 13 2004, 04:50 PM
Post #13

But a heavily modified cyberlimb has low concealability, and that leads to questions. A cyberdeck in one will show up on a cyberware scanner. A teddy bear that beeps in a metal detector or a cyberware scanner leads to questions. A cyberdeck, while not necessarily illegal at first inspection, can lead to questions. Someone can even open it up, turn it on, check your datebook, and the pocket secretary shell program that you've written will make it behave in all ways like a pocket secretary to anyone who doesn't know the secret backdoor, even through the datajack. The only way to tell is with a really good scanner, or to crack the thing open. Either way, if they're THAT suspicious of you, you've already made other mistakes.

Depending on the rating of the scanner and how many successes it got, I would think that the PDA idea (or some other electronic device) would get through even a cyberware scanner that scans for the purpose of electronic devices.
1 success: Something is there. Yup, there's circuitry in that PDA.
2 successes: Something is definitely there, suspect it's nature. Yup, there's probably a computer in that PDA.
3 successes: Knows it's nature. Yes, definitely a computer.
4 successes: Hey, there's a little TOO much computer in that PDA. (activate diversion)

It's the same theory as lying well. You want to include as much of the truth as possible. Therefore, disguise a computer as a computer.

My idea was that this is something that could be carried and even if searched, would not even cause suspicion. It could be carried into a corp facility through the front door and probably sneak past most scanners. You certainly pay a premium for it, but sometimes it's worth it.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Sep 13 2004, 05:03 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Yeah, my posts about "PocketDecks" were back in May of this year. The thread was, "Quick Deck Construction Question."

This was my thought process at the time:

Apparently, by about 2060, it's possible to fit a cyberdeck into a skull without displacing (too much) brain; protect that cyberdeck from the moist, humid, salty, corrosive metahuman body environment; protect the delicate metahuman body from unpleasant computer compounds; not use a large battery like a standard cyberdeck; etc. The price of most components of these ruggedized & ultra-miniaturized cyberdecks is "1.2x construction cost."

Good deal. I figure if I can build a cranial cyberdeck for 20% more than a standard deck (plus surgery), I can build a PocketDeck for a similar price.

And as for concealability:

"What's that in my pocket, officer? Why, I'm just happy to see-...I'm joking, joking! Put the gun away! It's my PocketSecretary is all. See? Standard 2061 Sony PocketSec. That's all. It's not like it could be a disguised cyberdeck..."

+Quote Post
Siege
post Sep 13 2004, 05:03 PM
Post #15

Dragon

Strip it down and replace a pocket secretary shell with the guts of a mini-deck.

-Siege

+Quote Post
mfb
post Sep 13 2004, 05:11 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

eh, i dunno about that. i'd require 2-3 successes, if not more, on an Electronics Background knowledge test, before i allowed Joe Security guard to realize that someone's pocsec had extra parts installed.

+Quote Post
Clyde
post Sep 13 2004, 05:24 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,237

Hey, Siege, what are these "Program Carriers" I've been hearing about now and then?

+Quote Post
Siege
post Sep 13 2004, 05:29 PM
Post #18

Dragon

It looked like a geek's version of wolvers.

Three prongs located in the back of the decker's hand were used to jack into a data point. The three prongs carried the basic persona chips necessary for a decker to run the Matrix "naked".

Any data swiped had to be stored on internal memory and the decker had no armor defense, so any damage done by IC went directly to the character.

I'd have to dig out the 1st edition book to find the specific rules, but that's it in a nutshell.

-Siege

+Quote Post
The Question Man
post Sep 13 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,722

A Musician and Decker who builds his Cyberdeck into his Cyber Axe(Guitar). It's pure DNI, but the casing can look like anything. If he a protege he could play music to inplace of a key board.

A key board of a different sort. A Sim Sense Production/Recording deck.

Cheers

QM

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Sep 13 2004, 06:06 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

EDIT: LOL, my bad.

This post has been edited by GrinderTheTroll: Sep 13 2004, 06:16 PM

+Quote Post
Drain Brain
post Sep 13 2004, 07:18 PM
Post #21

The Sewer Jockey

Member No.: 1,197

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)

Like an SMG. Or a bomb. Or a very specific object which you can use ritual sorcery to track down in case of theft... That's so nasty and Evil I think you deserve an award...

But to the topic at hand, I reckon it's a top idea! But to further it:

You know there are the "Wrist Computers" listed in the gear chapter? Why not plonk it on one of them instead... that way you can't drop it, and you can secrete a dedicated, hardwired datajack connection underneath the strap so nobody can see you plugged in! If you run a line all the way through your body to, say, the right index finger, replace the last joint with a pop-out jack connection, you could do a proper "go go gadget cyberdeck" and plug yourself in directly!

+Quote Post
lacemaker
post Sep 13 2004, 11:12 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,836

Program carriers, from memory where a first edition piece of cyberware that slotted your persona programs straight into the system you're trying to deck.

You used willpower as MPCP maybe, or maybe as Bod (as there were only three prongs) and you had to program all utilities on the fly using hacking pool dice (2 pool dice per rating point), and use headware memory as storeage.

They even made an appearance in the opening fiction and cover illustration, but they were never terribly well thought out, and the reasons for using them were always pretty contrived. Interesting germ of an idea never carried to fruition. Once headware decks were introduced it became a bit of a moot point.

+Quote Post
Necro Tech
post Sep 14 2004, 06:09 PM
Post #23

UMS O.G.

Member No.: 6,335

Remember one important thing. You can't upgrade the thing in your home shop. A c2 deck is effectively hardwired so just because its not in your head, a micro deck doesn't change very well. Plus, you have to have full size periphrials, ports and FUPS which don't come standard in a C2 deck. What you gain in concealability you lose in adaptability.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Sep 14 2004, 06:16 PM
Post #24

Running Target

QUOTE (Necro Tech)
Remember one important thing. You can't upgrade the thing in your home shop. A c2 deck is effectively hardwired so just because its not in your head, a micro deck doesn't change very well. Plus, you have to have full size periphrials, ports and FUPS which don't come standard in a C2 deck. What you gain in concealability you lose in adaptability.

Yeah, a C2 deck doesn't have those, but I figure a PocketDeck isn't exactly a C2 deck. Notably, they're rarely embedded in skulls. (Instances where PocketDecks end up in skulls tend to involve large explosions, tornados, and/or angry trolls.)

Look at the past 10 years of advancement in real world expansion ports. In 1994, you had the PCMCIA cards. Today, you have teeny little cards for, yep, pocket computers that bring all the fun of bulky PCMCIA cards to PDAs and Smart Phones. In 2050, maybe FUPs only referred to big expansion ports. But by 2064? Fuchi's Universal Port protocols could well embrace several smaller standard ports.

Me, I say if you're going to build a PocketDeck, go ahead and apply normal FUP rules to the PocketDeck, maybe with a x1.2 multiplier to represent the smaller scale.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Sep 14 2004, 06:38 PM
Post #25

Dragon

Or figure the concealable doo-hickey up to a download point for easy access to the data on a larger machine better capable of handling the necessary operations.

Let's face it, a PDA is quite capable of hot-synching to a larger system.

-Siege

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:35 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.